Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from xenimus. Show xenimus's posts

Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?

Is it just me or does this guy just cruise and floats around his defensive end? Where is the pressure? The backcheck? Always camping out near the boards around the blueline. 

In order to have a good breakout you have to provide support down low. Shorten the gap between you and your defensemen for short passes. I mean, the kid has a tremendous shot but as soon as he leaves the offensive zone he hits the "snooze" button. Hate to say it but reminds me of Kovalev in a sense. Both offensively gifted, will fight in the offensive end but are both ghosts in their own end. For $4mill, you have to be able to score more than 15-goals.

He's an underachiever, has not responded to the pressure in Boston as of yet and in not playoff tested. To me, he can be an asset if teams start burning up PC's Blackberry inquiring for TOR-#1 pick as we get closer to the deadline. The Bruins can survive without Horton, not like he's been that visible this season anyways.

He's young, can score, and doesn't have a "CLAUSE" in he's contract, a perfect candidate to trade for a significant player (Brad Richards, Jack Johnson, Paul Stastny, Zach Parise). At times players just don't mesh well. Whether it's the system, players, or atmosphere. He's a guy you could potentially move. If you can improve your club, then do it. I still feel this team is a top-6 prolific forward away...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kurako. Show Kurako's posts

Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?

According to capgeek.com, Nathan Horton has a No Trade Clause.

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=5

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, he does have a no trade that kicked in July 1st after the Bruins picked him up.  He's a frustrating player to watch because he looks like he could be much more.  He also has a skating style that looks lazy or 'out of it' at times.  I think it's best to accept that he is a very good player with a reasonable cap hit for what he does.  He will probably never be elite, but at 4 mil he doesn't need to be.  Same with Ryder.  They frustrate with lack of production at times, but combined they still have a smaller cap hit than say Ovechkin.  Horton fits in well with DK and ML.  He's not a weakness on that line.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Horton will be a very valuable player in the playoffs believe me ...his next great game will be March 8th against Montreal ...and if he only plays well against Mtl he still desserves his $4MM

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

A little too early to give up on him is it not. Wait until then end of the season and playoffs to make this judgement perhaps....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

x-

Lets not compare Horton with Kovalev.  Kovalev has been a world class talent in the league for a long time and a stanley cup on his resume.  Horton has been a dud.  Lots of skill and zero heart.  Thats the only area you can compare the two. 
    To be honest if its the playoff we are talking about I would rather have Kovalev.  Best wrist shot maybe ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tbops. Show Tbops's posts

I say with in the last few week of this season he going to pick it up. If not he will wake up in the playoff and will be a factor there which would be a great thing and no one will be talking about the slumps he has some what all season.

Gotta give it time, although Campbell seem to adapte to Boston more than he has. Who knows. Maybe Horton just need to be taken off the first line... put him on the 3rd line. Maybe that will wake him up. Who knows. but i have faith comes play off were going to see everybody play their part and win :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Tbops,

I was actually hoping for a 1st line talent so we could put him on the 3rd line as well.  If he could develop into a consistant 20+ goal guy I would be happy.  But I don't think he is the star pwr fwd everyone thought he would be.  It was easy for him to hide in Florida.  Not so much in a hockey crazy market

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?:
    [QUOTE]x- Lets not compare Horton with Kovalev.  Kovalev has been a world class talent in the league for a long time and a stanley cup on his resume.  Horton has been a dud.  Lots of skill and zero heart.  Thats the only area you can compare the two.  To be honest if its the playoff we are talking about I would rather have Kovalev.  Best wrist shot maybe ever.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    Attaboy!I fully expect Horton to go on a tear now that you've voiced your displeasure.I disagree wholeheartedly  as I feel Horton works harder than he gets credit for.Add to that,the fact that Lucic is having a career year on his line.Just coincidence you say-I think not.Horton's big body in front creates havov for the opposition.I distinctly remember a DK goal from the NYI game in which Horton dished the puck off and drove to the net(taking 2 defenders with him)leaving an open lane for Lucic and DK to give and go.I  like the results that the line is putting up overall so I'm reserving judgement on Horton until the season is over.I'll wait until then to rub your nose in it..........

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev? : Attaboy!I fully expect Horton to go on a tear now that you've voiced your displeasure.I disagree wholeheartedly  as I feel Horton works harder than he gets credit for.Add to that,the fact that Lucic is having a career year on his line.Just coincidence you say-I think not.Horton's big body in front creates havov for the opposition.I distinctly remember a DK goal from the NYI game in which Horton dished the puck off and drove to the net(taking 2 defenders with him)leaving an open lane for Lucic and DK to give and go.I  like the results that the line is putting up overall so I'm reserving judgement on Horton until the season is over.I'll wait until then to rub your nose in it..........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I feel he works much harder than people give him credit for. He draws the D to him on most entries and creates space for Looch and Krejci. They need to respect his shot but he definitely needs to get it off quicker.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The early returns on Horton were outstanding. Many including myself thought a 40 goal scorer.  Reset.  He is learning finally how to play the defensive game.  If he is a 25 goal scorer and improves defensively the price is right.  Better than Ryder in that the salary/cap ratio was a bit different three years ago. One instance that amazed me was when he was in a tussle with Evander Kane early this year.  Horton basically flipped Kane in a scrum in front of the net.  He has had stretches where he hit everything in sight about ten games back.  I too believe he could be an important factor in the playoffs.  Does anyone remember a few years ago Alex Tanguay could have been acquired for a bag of pucks from Montreal.  Patience.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

He may work harder than I give him credit for but to say he is a top line player is a stretch.  And by giving credit to Horton for Lucic is taking away from the year Lucic is having. 
    Horton is a classic underachiever.  He has been since he walked into the league.  It hasnt changed here no matter how you wanna sell it. 

Its not displeasure.  Its a realization that he just isnt as good as he was hyped.  I can live with him and never asked for him to be dealt.  I just think at this point in time he is better suited for 3rd line duties.  BUT.  I don't wanna mess with a good thing with that line.  And yes he is a part of it.   

And if I put a classis hex on him all the better.  It worked for a few guys like Bergie and Marchand.  Lets hope it works for him as well.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev? : Agreed. I feel he works much harder than people give him credit for. He draws the D to him on most entries and creates space for Looch and Krejci. They need to respect his shot but he definitely needs to get it off quicker.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

I think so too. If he were so lazy or terrible at backchecking he would not be sporting a +18...for what it is worth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

The patience of most Bruins fans on this board is mind boggling. 

The answer to the thread question is NO.  See Ryder for a closer comparison.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmmanning. Show tmmanning's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev? : I think so too. If he were so lazy or terrible at backchecking he would not be sporting a +18...for what it is worth.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Plus/Minus is a joke. For example Kessel was a +23 in 08. Clearly that is misleading.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

ryder had a good playoffs last year so who knows.  i'd rather have ten 20 goal scorers than one or two studs. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

What exactly went wrong with this guy after such a promissing start to the season. I hope it's not Ryder all over again.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev? : Plus/Minus is a joke. For example Kessel was a +23 in 08. Clearly that is misleading.
    Posted by tmmanning[/QUOTE]

Really, Horton is  actually +20 and Ryder is -4, both with similar ice-time . Can we not make some deductions about the relative state of their defensive play based on two players on the same team? How about Kessel currently at -20? Can we not presume that he is somewhat weak on the backcheck based on this?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

I'm with DEZ, and to put some perspective on Horton's positioning, That's what Claude teaches. Claude does not want his forwards in the defensive corners, the only two who are there are Ryder and Recchi, and neither one is adept at handling the puck, and more often than not are passing BACKWARDS rather than up ice. Claude wants his forwards to stack up in the middle and get over to the boards as the breakout starts. It works defensively, but makes the forward look out of place compared to other team systems. Horton has learned to do what Claude wants defensively, if he wants ice time , and has been more effective in creating opportunities in the offensive end where his instincts and chemistry works well with his line.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

Comparing Horton to Kovalev is a stretch.  Kovalev at times was a deadly goal scorer.  Horton hasn't been one.  Kovalev plays with zero energy in D zone- Horton plays VERY hard in d zone, battles in corners, and is not afraid to throw his body around.

Unfortunately, Horton is not doing what he was brought in to do- score tons of goals.  I like the guy and i do believe he is helping the team.  I think he'd help more by scoring but one thing nobody should do is say he is a floater/coaster/soft just because he is not scoring.  He is none of those.

Now if he'd just snap out of this scoring funk, i'm sure we'd all be happy with him!!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

stinger

good post. 

I still think the talent is there.  He has the mold of a guy that should pop 30 annually.  he is still young and coming into his prime.  Hopefully when he finds it he never lest it go again. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?:[QUOTE]The early returns on Horton were outstanding. Many including myself thought a 40 goal scorer.  Reset.  He is learning finally how to play the defensive game.  If he is a 25 goal scorer and improves defensively the price is right.  Better than Ryder in that the salary/cap ratio was a bit different three years ago.

I too believe he could be an important factor in the playoffs.  Patience.  Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

You will never see a 40 goal scorer on a Julien coached team and I do think that Horton will be better in the playoffs I always reserve my judgement to rate a player till April. Not concerned with Nathan and I do see him getting put with Peverley n Kelly soon to see if he responds.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

sandog, i'm not so sure about never seeing a 40 goal scorer on a cj coached team. marchand has 15 goals in 26 games since christmas. i think he is the real deal that could become a consistent 30 goal man with 40 not out of the question. seguin has more talent and i could see him do it in a couple of years. kessel would have done it in 09 if not for his mono.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]sandog, i'm not so sure about never seeing a 40 goal scorer on a cj coached team. marchand has 15 goals in 26 games since christmas. i think he is the real deal that could become a consistent 30 goal man with 40 not out of the question. seguin has more talent and i could see him do it in a couple of years. kessel would have done it in 09 if not for his mono.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Nevertheless, SanDog is probably more accurate in his assessment. First off, there are very few 40 goal scorers in the league anymore anyway. Second, it is rare to even find many 30 goal scorers on a team with as complex a defensive structure that the Bruins have. This is not a bad thing but just the way it has to be....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Is Horton becoming the next Alex Kovalev?:[QUOTE]sandog, i'm not so sure about never seeing a 40 goal scorer on a cj coached team. marchand has 15 goals in 26 games since christmas. i think he is the real deal that could become a consistent 30 goal man with 40 not out of the question. seguin has more talent and i could see him do it in a couple of years. kessel would have done it in 09 if not for his mono. Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

Yah the Pill came close with 36 right but it would take another year by Krejci making teams not be able to load up against the top line. What David did with Wheeler-Ryder allowed Savard-onemanshowsmilepretty to really rome free.

Very difficult to do 40 bout not out of the question good points.