Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?

Lots of threads ongoing with people playing GM... hey, that's part pf the fun of being a sports fan.  But, given the circumstances... Savard gone, suddenly cap space open to make a move... a real move... how many people think this is the period that decides whether the Jacobs go GM shopping this offseason?

Chia has had the benefit of the doubt at every turn... the failure against Carolina... the meltdown against Philly... the heartless and inconsistant performances the last 2 years. While the idiots continue to blame Jacobs, the fact is when ownership lets you spend all the way to the cap, there comes a time when you have to answer for the contracts you gave out to the Ryders and Ferences and TTs and Savards and Z... and stop the excuses and produce.
    The next 20 days is that time.

Chia has a perfect storm.  There was a point this year where it looked like he might have to lose Claude, but the team has righted the ship for the most part as of today.  Still, the only reason Claude is still here after the Philly mess and this years problems could be that Chia didnt want to pay 2 coaches, again.  But he has the opening, the available cash and chips, and ownership's blessing to make this team better before the deadline.

I say Chia has to make a couple moves... either a big time forward or a premier offensive defenseman, and a supplemental piece, before the trading deadline.  If we hear that "no one was available" or "the prices were too high" BS and this team swirls the drain after one playoff series again, I think he's done.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?

No, PC has time, he's done a good job for us so far. If he doesn't absolutely nail this perfectly he'll still be around next season.

However, I do think this is his chance to cement his job for years to come. If he does pull this off perfectly and gets us to the fourth round, regardless of whether we win or not, because of his machinations in the next few weeks, then I would expect him to get a very nice contract extension this summer. He's not gone if he doesn't play this perfectly (which is damn hard to do) but if he does, he'll be in Boston for a very long time.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

Just to be clear... I'm not saying he has to play it perfectly or wind up in the Finals... I'm saying if he sits on his hands or blows it-- and we all know either could happen, he's done.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

If he sits on his hands, maybe - if he blows it, well that depends how he blows it. If he overpays and the players do nothing, maybe. If he gets who they need but someone Matt Cooke's that player in his first game in black and gold, well that's blowing it in a way as well, but it won't impact PC's employment.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I agree, I think this is a crucial deadline for PC. After what happened last year i'd say this deadline is crucial to him and these playoffs are crucial to Claude..Any other coach would have lost their job after what happened, but PC's fate is directly tied to Juliens.

I say go for it PC,make a splash, and try to win NOW. Forget about the rentals,UFA, can we sign them.Go for it.  Ray Shero didn't bat an eye when it came to getting Hossa. He lost him and his team won it the next year...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

No, it doesn't decide his future. I think he has done a pretty good job of getting this team to at least be in the playoffs the past 3 seasons, and hopefully, this year as well. The best part is that the future should only be better.
    And I understand your frustration with Ryder (who doesn't deserve 1/4 of what he makes), sort of understand Ference (who is solid, but probably didn't quite deserve as much as he got), but Thomas (Vezina, and possible MVP candidate), Chara (has been a lockdown defender and a solid offensive contributor) and Savard (how the f*** are you supposed to predict concussions? He is far and away the best PPG guy on this team since he has arrived in Boston)? Boy, do you need a dose of optimism.
    Chiarelli isn't going anywhere unless they unload the Toronto pick for some 4th line scrub. Yes, I just insinuated that his job is safe, regardless.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

To be clear sitting on his hands doesn't mean he doesn't make a trade - if he looks around and is active in the trade market but decides not to do anything because what is available would not benefit the team, that's not sitting on your hands. That's being active yet making a judgment call. If given all the opions the best thing for the team is to stand pat, then he'll stand pat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future?:
    [QUOTE]To be clear sitting on his hands doesn't mean he doesn't make a trade - if he looks around and is active in the trade market but decides not to do anything because what is available would not benefit the team, that's not sitting on your hands. That's being active yet making a judgment call. If given all the opions the best thing for the team is to stand pat, then he'll stand pat.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    Which is what PC did last year as everyone cried because he didn't acquire Kovolchuk.Sometimes there isn't a good deal to be made.That said,I expect PC to make moves this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

PC has been outstanding as the Bruins GM. The guy from Ill needs to watch a different channel. He's integrated at least 4 new players every year since he dumped Lewis [gutsy decision]. He has stated that he is working on a solution. Savard had unique skills which only Stamkos is replicating, so the right move will be difficult and interesting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from brunod. Show brunod's posts

PC is already trying to see if Players like Hamil or Caron or even Seguin can be the answer to the B's needs and these guys will have their chance. I think this is not the answer and PC will go out and try to make a deal if it will improve us if there is one to be had.
    But if he can't find the right piece I don't think he will be gone because he has done a good job piling up propects and setting up the Future for the B's.
    As a die hard Bruin fan I have for years wanted the Bruins to go out and get players to put us over the top but it didn't happen but now we the means to do it, and for the sake of the Bruins and the fans I hope he does.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

PCs first draft was in 2007 so he's coming up on his 5th draft so I would say Chiarelli has until next summer to have made deep playoff runs by that I mean cup appearances. I'm also sure that when interviewed by the Jacobs that he probably presented them with a five year plan sales are up.

With the youthful core that Chiarelli has built into this team and the youth that will pushing to get in the next few years I'm pleased but what pleases the Jacobs ? the TD bank garden still being open to sell, sell, sell in June!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : Which is what PC did last year as everyone cried because he didn't acquire Kovolchuk.Sometimes there isn't a good deal to be made.That said,I expect PC to make moves this year.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]
    -This^. I recall numerous posters last year that were calling for PC’s head by not pulling the trigger on the Kvoy deal. They didn’t think about the financial ramifications, not only for him, but the possibility of not being able to bring back Chara and/or Bergeron for many years to come.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

One comment:
    "If we hear that "no one was available" or "the prices were too high" BS and this team swirls the drain after one playoff series again, I think he's done"

What if we hear that ... and it is actually true?  Should he be fired if he can show all the options he had (which he won't show the press, but possibly Jacobs) and sitting pat looks like a better decision than doing something simply for the sake of doing something?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Absolutely. 

What he does here at the deadline could shape what happens in the postseason and for the immediate seasons to follow.

In fact, I'll just say it does.  It absolutely does.  Barring a total collapse last year to Philly and a Game 7 loss to Carolina the year before, why isn't this team threatening to run into a FInals?

It is.

But, those teams overachieved.

This organization has a very nasty habit of passing off overachieving seasons as having great teams. No, it means you have a good team.

Imagine having a time Vezina winner here and not making it to a Finals?  When was the last time a team had a two time Vezina winner and never even made it to a Finals?

Yup. When you start thinking about it, this organization is one of the laughingstocks of the NHL. 

At least Philly tries to win.  Heck, even Chicago went for it. 

How many more seasons are Bruins fans going to sit around twiddling their thumbs being satisifed with a good team that gets ousted in Round 1?

Or, one that overachieves that some try to pass off as a team that is legit or "tried really hard/we'll get em next year" type of routine.

I am one who has basically followed from afar recently because Jacobs has done everything but genuinely commit to trying to win a Cup. He says it, but no one he has hired as GM has really showed it.

I am a "show me" person. Not a tell me.   Jacobs has told us he cared 20 years ago.  So, far, his results as an owner and who has come through here with their philosophies have only worked for Jacobs's bottom line.

In cap leagues like this one, the one person who is exposed is the GM.  He/she has to have an understanding of economics, the market, fluctuations, style of the player up against what is already on the roster and how one move can handicap you for more than one season.

I see this situation here very similarly to what Ainge had prior to the 2007/2008Celtics season.

He had a bunch of chips that looked promising, but all he did prior to that was move the chairs around on the Titanic for 5 years.  Well, Ainge got off the pot and pulled off a heist.

Chiarelli is dangerously on the same seat here if he doesn't succeed. He comes out with the same rhetoric every year like a broken record and tells us dealing Kessel and then Wideman will bring us a Cup.

Well, now is the time to prove it.  Otherwise, we'll see the same Round 1 or Round 2 type of peak we've seen with Kessel and Wideman here.

I have no issue with him pointing out their flaws and scapegoating them, but you better deliver.

My major complaint with him is what he's allocated to certain players he apparently loves/Julien loves (Ryder, Ference).

Thomas was a gamble, but it appears to have worked.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Chiarelli went by what Thomas's numbers were when he was still under the three year contract given by MOC and what a Vezina/Jennings winning goalies should get in compensation sorry but that was not a gamble that's confidence.

Giving young players like Marchand, Hamill, Kampfer, Boychuk, Caron and Rask chances to crack the lineup shows me Chiarelli has even more confidence and the fact he stated on his weekly radio interview that "you can bet on it" when asked if their will be trades shows me PC will at least bring inn some veterans for depth.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Giving a 36 year old a fresh deal with a clear franchise goalie as a back up proving he can play a full season and do well, is obviously a clear financial gamble in the salary cap era.

Please don't pretend this is pre 2005.

Chiarelli seems to have gambled correctly, which is a good thing, but his hands weren't tied.

This is why I felt Thomas should have been traded last year. 

Overpaying in a market, especially moving forward with an aging player, is usually suicide.

You don't pay based on what the player has accomplished.

It may so happen that Thomas is one of those rare players who gets better with age.

Good for us.

If they blow a chance to improve this team and no Cup is not here yet again this season, you can bet Chiarelli is on the hotseat. Or, at least should be.

We know Jacobs probably won't want to pay two GMs at once, so I guess Chiarelli is safe regardless.

But, not with me.  This organization has been more or less sitting on its hands for decades.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]what a fantastic post, SoxfaninIL. seriously, compare Soxfan's post with the drivel Mazz wrote today or the crapola KDP wrote yesterday. Soxfan post summerized the situation to a T. It's getting to the point where I skip the articles and just go to the forums. much more insight here than in the banal yada yada on the sports page.
    Posted by pumpsiefan[/QUOTE]
    I realized long ago that I learn far more from the posters here than from anything written by the local hockey writers.Flutos most recent scoop was in regards to who had the stinkiest crap in the Bruins locker room(and I still never found out).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Absolutely.  What he does here at the deadline could shape what happens in the postseason and for the immediate seasons to follow. In fact, I'll just say it does.  It absolutely does.  Barring a total collapse last year to Philly and a Game 7 loss to Carolina the year before, why isn't this team threatening to run into a FInals? It is. But, those teams overachieved. This organization has a very nasty habit of passing off overachieving seasons as having great teams. No, it means you have a good team. Imagine having a time Vezina winner here and not making it to a Finals?  When was the last time a team had a two time Vezina winner and never even made it to a Finals? Yup. When you start thinking about it, this organization is one of the laughingstocks of the NHL.  At least Philly tries to win.  Heck, even Chicago went for it.  How many more seasons are Bruins fans going to sit around twiddling their thumbs being satisifed with a good team that gets ousted in Round 1? Or, one that overachieves that some try to pass off as a team that is legit or "tried really hard/we'll get em next year" type of routine. I am one who has basically followed from afar recently because Jacobs has done everything but genuinely commit to trying to win a Cup. He says it, but no one he has hired as GM has really showed it. I am a "show me" person. Not a tell me.   Jacobs has told us he cared 20 years ago.  So, far, his results as an owner and who has come through here with their philosophies have only worked for Jacobs's bottom line. In cap leagues like this one, the one person who is exposed is the GM.  He/she has to have an understanding of economics, the market, fluctuations, style of the player up against what is already on the roster and how one move can handicap you for more than one season. I see this situation here very similarly to what Ainge had prior to the 2007/2008Celtics season. He had a bunch of chips that looked promising, but all he did prior to that was move the chairs around on the Titanic for 5 years.  Well, Ainge got off the pot and pulled off a heist. Chiarelli is dangerously on the same seat here if he doesn't succeed. He comes out with the same rhetoric every year like a broken record and tells us dealing Kessel and then Wideman will bring us a Cup. Well, now is the time to prove it.  Otherwise, we'll see the same Round 1 or Round 2 type of peak we've seen with Kessel and Wideman here. I have no issue with him pointing out their flaws and scapegoating them, but you better deliver. My major complaint with him is what he's allocated to certain players he apparently loves/Julien loves (Ryder, Ference). Thomas was a gamble, but it appears to have worked.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    I don't think Buff made the finals with Hasek every year did they(I remember 1 final they appeared in)?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Ridiculous to put his fate on the basis of one brief period of time.  He has done a good job, and has set this franchise up to be competitive for a long time.  The only thing he could do to change that is to take stupid gambles trying to win it now.  Tweak if you can but don't sell the farm.   

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Why is it ridiculous?  This team has not won a Cup since 1972.

They haven't even been a legit Cup contender for 20 years.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

PC's job is as safe as a Supreme Court judge.  I'm no Jacobs basher, but let's be 100% honest.  The team has sold out all season long (and most of last season I believe).  No way would they get rid of the architect of the team when things are going so well.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Good point NAS---I would however like to see more of a sense of urgeny with this club, the team they share the building went for it, The sox have won so have the Pats..I say you have a good core here and a goaltender playing MVP caliber, therefore NOW is the time IMO.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]Why is it ridiculous?  This team has not won a Cup since 1972. They haven't even been a legit Cup contender for 20 years.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

It is ridiculous.  Chiarelli has had nothing to do with the Cup drought, except putting together a team that sells tickets, makes it to the playoffs every year, and secures top five overall draft picks in the short period he's been in charge.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]PC's job is as safe as a Supreme Court judge.  I'm no Jacobs basher, but let's be 100% honest.  The team has sold out all season long (and most of last season I believe).  No way would they get rid of the architect of the team when things are going so well.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I agree with this^^^.

And that's my point.   As long as Jacobs sees the seats filled and a playoff spot, the GM keeps his job.

It's why Sinden held on for so long.

Again, that's my point. Either you want to win or you spend your entire tenure here telling everyone how you just a year or two away from making a Cup run.

At some point you need to take a calculated risk. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is this the window that decides Chiarelli's future? : It is ridiculous.  Chiarelli has had nothing to do with the Cup drought, except putting together a team that sells tickets, makes it to the playoffs every year, and secures top five overall draft picks in the short period he's been in charge.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

So, in other words, another version of Sinden (in a short window) and Jacobs's wet dream.

No?

If your statement is not the Jacobs mantra, I don't know what is.

Not sure how old you are, but Jacobs has had the wool pulled over the general fanbase's eyes here for 3 decades.

He'll go on WEEI in June and tell everyone how disappointed he is and that he has a good handle on the situation.  Then, someone will be scapegoated out of town so a new version of the failed approach can start over.

Jacobs has mastered the art of consumer deception. 

The Maple Leafs are just inept.

The Blackhawks got aggressive and it worked, after not really trying.

But, Jacobs enjoys a good tease and the result$.

It's like Groundhog Day on acid.