jack edwards

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

jack edwards

we all know he gets a little too excited sometimes, especially during fights but i have to give him credit he has gotten much better as a play by play guy to the point where i think he is one of the best around, green teeth and all. he seems to be well informed of all the teams and players that the bruins play against so good for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: jack edwards

He's no Bob Cole (who may be the best hockey play by play man ever alongside Foster Hewitt, and it's a shame he's doing Habs games now) but I don't mind Edwards. Compared to the Sportsnet crew that does the Canucks and Flames games he's flipping Shakespeare.

The broadcaster I really miss though is Ed Whalen from the Flames (and Stampede Wrestling) Easily my all-time favourite.

"It's gonna be a ringadingdongdandy!"

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The only thing about Cole now is he forgets what game he's watching and forgets players names . I think he's gotta be 80 by now, should hangem' up. Was one of the best in his prime. As for Hughson, not bad but says "GREAT SAVE " way too often, especially bad when he does Canuck games . He's a real foamer over Luongo. An average save by any other goalie gets a "GREAT SAVE LUONGO" !!!!!! by Hughson but again a pretty good announcer. Its all personal preference . I like Jacks call of a game though, and his enthusiasm. Some of the other commentaters you hear dull a person to sleep. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In Response to Re: jack edwards:
    [QUOTE]The only thing about Cole now is he forgets what game he's watching and forgets players names . I think he's gotta be 80 by now, should hangem' up. Was one of the best in his prime. As for Hughson, not bad but says "GREAT SAVE " way too often, especially bad when he does Canuck games . He's a real foamer over Luongo. An average save by any other goalie gets a "GREAT SAVE LUONGO" !!!!!! by Hughson but again a pretty good announcer. Its all personal preference . I like Jacks call of a game though, and his enthusiasm. Some of the other commentaters you hear dull a person to sleep. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

I understand your feeling about Cole being well past his prime, he is, but I can't see him retiring. I could honestly see him calling a Leafs and Habs game, yelling "GORES!" in overtime, and dropping dead right there over the control panel. At 77 he's had his day, but who in hockey wouldn't give Cole a job if he asked for one? It'd be like telling Santa Claus to take a hike.

To me the Gold Standard of hockey broadcast duos is Cole/Neale in their prime. (After almost 30 years together they started to sound like an old married couple by the end) Brick/Edwards isn't there yet (and likely never will be) but they aren't that bad compared to other calls I've heard.

Late last season there was a Sabres/Habs game on HNIC and those two teamed up again. It was nice for nostalgia's sake, but they kept messing up the players' names. To me the 87 Canada Cup, the 1990 Stanley Cup finals and the 98 Olympics were their finest hours.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

Cole only announces when the others all have games now. He's pretty much retired. I never heard Bob Cole once during the 87 Canada cup. It was the Labbat Canada Cup & CTV held the rights to those games. The awesome Dan Kelly did all of team Canada's games. Bob & Harry I'm not saying they didn't call any games, just saying I didn't think they would've been allowed to. CTV & the CBC were rivals back then.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I have no problem with Jack. I'm thinking of sending him some Crest Whitestrips for Christmas.

Brick's style doesn't bother me as an earlier poster (NAS?) noted. He knows the game for sure.

I think the radio guys, Goucher and Beers, do a great job. I listen to almost as many games on the radio as I watch on TV. And there are times where I mute the TV during games anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]Cole only announces when the others all have games now. He's pretty much retired. I never heard Bob Cole once during the 87 Canada cup. It was the Labbat Canada Cup & CTV held the rights to those games. The awesome Dan Kelly did all of team Canada's games. Bob & Harry I'm not saying they didn't call any games, just saying I didn't think they would've been allowed to. CTV & the CBC were rivals back then.
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

You're right nitemare - I messed it up, I meant 91, not 87 - 91 they did all the secondary games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from choclab511. Show choclab511's posts

New-Jack Edwards!!!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

"he goes OVER .........and UNDER!"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TomOBrien. Show TomOBrien's posts

I am in complete agreement! Brick also has a bad habit of stating the obvious. Then when he is talking about his playing days, you would think he was a 10-time All Star. I didn't like Brickley as a player either, so perhaps I am biased.
    Does anyone know if Jack ever played hockey? any sport at all? It might be that credibility factor...
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: jack edwards : He's an intelligent hockey man, there is no question about that.  What I can't stand is his delivery.  He talks in fragments and incomplete sentences. Here's an example of something he might say:  I like what they're doing here, Jack.  Moving their feet.  Taking the body.  Use the point guy.  Awareness. Knowing where the puck wants to go and being there. It's awful.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jtassinarisoccer. Show jtassinarisoccer's posts

Easily the biggest homer around.  Ranks right up there with Tom Heinsohn.  However, how about getting all worked up about this AWFUL hockey team as opposed to focussing on the other nonsense like the quality of the announcers?!?! 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

n Response to Re: jack edwards:
    [QUOTE]I am in complete agreement! Brick also has a bad habit of stating the obvious. Then when he is talking about his playing days, you would think he was a 10-time All Star. I didn't like Brickley as a player either, so perhaps I am biased. Does anyone know if Jack ever played hockey? any sport at all? It might be that credibility factor... In Response to Re: jack edwards :
    Posted by TomOBrien[/QUOTE]

Jack played soccer at UNH. Like alot of people, he has played the game on a recreational level. I don't have any problem with his credibility when it come to hockey even if he never played college or pro. It's irrelevant unless you're the color commentator.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruin1972. Show Bruin1972's posts

[QUOTE]......easily qualifies as "ONE OF THE WORST" sports announcers i have ever heard.... uses "unbeleivable"..."outstanding"....etc. so often that you would think the Bruins are comprised of nothing but NHL superstars - way over the top.... B's management wanted a lackey/boot kisser and they got it in HAPPY JACK....sad that he is SO desperate for a job, he will do anything.... you think Kelly....Cusick or Wilson would have ever put out the babbling garbage that this clown does???...PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I'm just sorry tht WBZ dropped the B's - now I must listen to this idiot unless the game is on VS....if I hear this schmuk say "ON THE DIAGONAL" one more time I think I will VOMIT....... Jack..can't you go back to NH - before you corrupt Brick????
    Posted by allypk[/QUOTE]

FYI: WBZ sister station FM 98.5 now carries the Bruins games.

There are 2 things that bother the most about Jack Edwards:
    "Ridiculous Save!!!!!!!"
    and when he turns away from the mike and you can't hear a word he's saying.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BlueEyedGuy. Show BlueEyedGuy's posts

Edwards is horrible and the reason the volume goes OFF when the NESN broadcasts the games.  He isn't fit to plug in the microphone of several announcers around the league, much less be in the same booth.  Give me Mike Lange, Pat Foley, Ken Daniels, or Dave Strader long before Edwards.  Fred Cusick must be rolling over in his grave all season long.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I used to think he was alright until I moved to Florida and was forced to buy Center Ice to watch the B"s.  After watching other teams and their own play-by-play men I now realize we have one of the best.  I challenge anyone who dislikes his style and commentary to watch just about any other team in the league.  
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

I usually agree with you Tuuk, but not this time.  I have Centre Ice and watch 2-3 games a night, but when I listen to most of the HNIC games or the Blues announcers or the Wings or the Pens or several others... and then I go back to listen to a B's game it makes me ill.  He's embarrassing.

His ridiculous homerisms and rambling and prepracticed cutesy phrases and that obnoxious SAVEBYTHOMAS!! every single time he touches the puck and goofy kid responses to fights is revolting.  Brick always makes him look bad by being a real hockey guy with actual knowledge rather than some little dweeb who seems to desperately try to have hockey acumen by reading a book or something.

Seems like a nice enough fellow, certainly tries to please, like a friend of your little brother or something but just a terrible, terrible announcer.

Terrible.