Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage

I think it was ment as a joke when he praised Neely then said "nice to see him help bring us a cup something he didn't do when he was wearing skates". Truly bad taste expecialy since JJ was the main reason Cam and Ray never got a cup here in their playing days due to his order to Sinden to be penny pinchers an not spend on payroll. Since there has been a cap in the NHL JJ can't be accused of being cheap as the bruins have spent to almost the max every year. I just didn't find the shot at cam funny even if it was ment as a joke.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomic. Show atomic's posts

Re: Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage

he shoulders much of the blame for the drought and was the reason i didn't follow the b's as loyally as i did in the late eighties and through much of the nineties. i lost hope that under his ownership we would ever see a title. the thornton trade cut me deep too. i agree, i didn't find it funny either-as you stated to his credit he has not held back $$. he was getting much flack on the radio.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

I agree.  That poke at Cam made no sense.  If it came from one of his peers it might have been funny, but I don't see how you can derive humor out of blaming someone else for your own shrewdness.  I just don't see the puchline there.  And Cam clearly didn't find it amusing.

Very poor taste from an even more distasteful man.

Link

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

It was a poorly delivered joke...no big deal.  And without the Tornton trade, ther is no Cup in Boston in 2011.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

I was a little taken back by it at first but I just saw it again and agree with hangnail that it was a poorly delivered joke.

Let's just enjoy this ride as long as we can!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

A little awkward of a comment/joke, no big deal. 

Funny part is most everyone that heard it was probably thinking the same thing.

Overall, I thought JJ's remarks were very good.  IMO, he has handled this Cup victory very well for an out-of-town owner.  Really no public comments until yesterday, allowing the players and coaches/management to enjoy 100% of the spotlight.  Well done by him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage:
    [QUOTE]It was a poorly delivered joke...no big deal.  And without the Tornton trade,ther is no Cup in Boston in 2011.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Assuming you mean Joe Thornton?  First I don't get the connection to this topic, and second the only reason I even slightly agree, is that if the trade didn't happen Mike O'Connell might still be the GM. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bad joke, bad delivery, but I don't think it was a dig.  He's a weird guy.

How things have changed!  If Jacobs tried to talk to a crowd of Bruins fans five years ago, he would have been booed off the stage.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Bad joke, bad delivery, but I don't think it was a dig.  He's a weird guy. How things have changed!  If Jacobs tried to talk to a crowd of Bruins fans five years ago, he would have been booed off the stage.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

note to jj, remember when those marketing people said to stay in the shadows a little more and let cam be the face of the organization?

he sets the pr dept back every time he opens his mouth.

hopefully he's smart enough not to do any more interviews where he reveals how little he knows about hockey.

jj - don't provide me any more rocks to throw at you.  I forgot about the ones I have already.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]A little awkward of a comment/joke, no big deal.  Funny part is most everyone that heard it was probably thinking the same thing. Overall, I thought JJ's remarks were very good.  IMO, he has handled this Cup victory very well for an out-of-town owner.  Really no public comments until yesterday, allowing the players and coaches/management to enjoy 100% of the spotlight.  Well done by him.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

I agree he did a good job.  I think the comment came out about Cam in an awkward way and both he and Cam turned it into a funny moment.  I don't think people should take it so seriously although obviously I understand the history.  Jacobs never added the depth that would have allowed Cam and Ray to raise the Cup in Boston. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Speaking of bad jokes:
    http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/all/Reporters_Failed_Dalai_Lama_Joke/#359889

happy dad day dads.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Give him a break. The bruins are on solid ground financially, and his selection of Cam as President was thoughtful and classy. This management team is all because Jacobs does want a successful franchise, and has filled the senior positions with quality and skilled personalities. His support for canning Lewis was a solid business decision, and one that increased Chiarelli's perceptions and awareness. he is obviously on a solid footing with Cam, and it was probably an inside joke that was not for general consumption. Even good businessmen make awkward statements from time to time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from df2. Show df2's posts

Jacobs is an evil piece of trash. Alaways has been.

Now he will take full advantage of this honeymoon period (that happens anytime a team wins a championship) to tighten the pursestrings and cut payroll.

The only time he has ever spent money was when he had to. To sell tickets and beers.

I despise that man.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeBruinsFan. Show LeBruinsFan's posts

What's the big deal, Cam said as much about himself earlier in the cup run.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]Give him a break. The bruins are on solid ground financially, and his selection of Cam as President was thoughtful and classy. This management team is all because Jacobs does want a successful franchise, and has filled the senior positions with quality and skilled personalities. His support for canning Lewis was a solid business decision, and one that increased Chiarelli's perceptions and awareness. he is obviously on a solid footing with Cam, and it was probably an inside joke that was not for general consumption. Even good businessmen make awkward statements from time to time.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Nice to see someone put this idiotic thread into reasonable perspective.  Thanks bogie.  Most dislike JJ here.  Fair enough.  I'm in that camp too, however, one would need to posess a non functioning brain, to not understand, he runs this team much differently than he used to. 
    No man gets himself in a position to own a pro sports team, own several successful businesses, and become a billionaire by screwinging up every single thing he ever says or does.
    It's generally accepted that JJ pretty much single handedly sold his own personal "business philosophy" on all 29 other rich, pompous, competitive, stubborn, and self centered owners.  Who, historically are so jealous of each other, they can't move anything forward.
    There's more to suggest he's a brilliant,captivating,seductor...than a bumbling idiot.
     Anyone, who suggests there was any kind of "cheapshot" thrown at Neely, has very poor interpretation skills.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

[QUOTE]Jacobs is an evil piece of trash. Alaways has been. Now he will take full advantage of this honeymoon period (that happens anytime a team wins a championship) to tighten the pursestrings and cut payroll. The only time he has ever spent money was when he had to. To sell tickets and beers. I despise that man.
    Posted by df2[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, he reminds me of Smithers on the Simpsons. This guy almost single handidly ruined my childhood and although I'm happy we got the cup (it was an amazing run)...to see his hands on it makes me want to vomit.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not a good public speaker, the PR who wrote the speech should be admonished and yes BadHab JJ needs to back to counting his beans up in Buffalo, which I'm sure he loves to teach, with his 17 grandchildren.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cberbes. Show cberbes's posts

People will still hate JJ because of his lack of spending during the pre-cap days, but that was as much Sinden's fault too, because HE felt players were over paid.  People tend to forget that Sinden was a tightwad, but he refused to pay players, and often walked away or traded players that HE felt would ask for more money than HE though they were worth.

However, that is all moot today.  There is a cap, the Bruins spend up to the cap, the owner is pretty much out of the equasion at this point.

That said, I think it was just a badly timed joke that didn't work.  One of those jokes that sounded funnier on paper, and the moment he said it he realized how bad it sounded.

JJ is trying to change his image of being an absentee owner.  So expect to see and hear more of him in coming years, he is going to try to to take advantage of this win to change his image.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from perrysound. Show perrysound's posts

At that point there should have been nothing but praise for anyone.

If he had said something like, "nice to see him help bring us a cup, something he tried desperately to do while he was wearing skates", that works for me.

Bad, timing, bad delivery, bad everything...... He'll always be a moron. A smart businessman, but a Moron none-the-less.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

clearly JJ was out of line whether it was intentional or just  a brain cramp.... 

maybe had JJ provided Cam with more than just a great d-man and playmaking centre in those days, the B'S might've actually won something noteworthy....

let's not forgive JJ all of a sudden because lately he's decided to spend some of his hard-earned $$$$$ whereas he wasn't willing during Uncle Harry's tenure....

Sinden was no idiot and would've assembled better squads had he had the funds to do so....

as for the "cheapshot" we'll let Cam decide whether it was or wasn't....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

As much as I hate Jacobs, I thought it just came out wrong.  Maybe Im wrong, but I took it as just what he said:  "Its nice to see Cam get the cup, something he didnt do as a player."  I thought it was an honest statement that people took wrong and started to boo, which Jacobs then had to laugh off.  Maybe I took it wrong, but thats what I thought.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage : Assuming you mean Joe Thornton?  First I don't get the connection to this topic, and second the only reason I even slightly agree, is that if the trade didn't happen Mike O'Connell might still be the GM. 
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

atomic made the Thornton trade reference 2 posts before my original one so I commented on it.  If he were still here, there is no Cup.  A team tends to take on the personality of their captain, and I don't want Thornton remotely close to having that much influence on the character of this team.. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from beantowngm15. Show beantowngm15's posts

I think he was trying to say that he understands how special this is to Cam since he wasn't able to win the Cup when he played. Nevertheless, poorly delivered joke.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Jeremy Jacobs Cheapshot at Cam before the parade on stage : atomic made the Thornton trade reference 2 posts before my original one so I commented on it.  If he were still here, there is no Cup.  A team tends to take on the personality of their captain, and I don't want Thornton remotely close to having that much influence on the character of this team.. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I see it now, makes sense.  ( The relevance, not the premise.  I still disagree, while leadership was never his strong suit, Joe never got a chance to grow into the role.  Too young.)

Back to the topic of the thread, it said to me he doesn't really get why people were so against him.  Most of the animosity was fueled from the fact that guys like Cam or Ray didn't win with the Bruins.  Either he was well shielded from the criticism, or he's not very in tune with sports fans.  Not sure he's entirely comfortable in the spotlight like that either. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]Bad joke, bad delivery, but I don't think it was a dig.  He's a weird guy. How things have changed!  If Jacobs tried to talk to a crowd of Bruins fans five years ago, he would have been booed off the stage.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Spot on NAS. After thinking a little more on it, I thought maybe he has that kind of relationship with Cam (one where he can make silly comments and get away with it!)