Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

Re: Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches

dannycater...excellent post congr. dont worry about the negative posts ...most of them come from habs fans ..CJ is indeed a great coach for this team

Stanley Cup to the BRUINS in 2011-2012-2013

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Pretty much the same people who think CJ should get whacked if the team doesn't win the cup, also post that this team ain't good enough.
    OR
    They cite the teams inability to make the conference finals in each of the last two seasons. 
    After around 100 games(exhibition, reg season and playoffs), Hundreds of practices, 100's of hours of team meetings etc....what amazing leadership/tactical rabbit is a coach supposed to pull out of his hat late in the final game of the season?
    I think it's pretty much up to the players at that point.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Far Better Than Most NHL Coaches:
    [QUOTE]I'm definitely one that has criticized CJ this year, but I'm happy to give him props for getting things turned around. He looks to have opened things up, which is what most of us who were criticizing him were calling for. The style the team is playing now is not the same style as a month ago. Whether or not that is all CJ's doing is up for debate, but he seems to have finally made necessary adjustments. Let's see how long it lasts and if the Bruins can have more success in the playoffs this year. I'd love to see that. :-)
    Posted by bear-in-the-woods[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this post a lot. Trying to win games 2-1, with too much emphasis on defense, is what you do if you don't have good goalies. The Bruins have good goalies, thus more emphasis should be put on the offense. Hopefully this is the new CJ way.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

Claude has a good system which he believes in too much.  This make it easy for him to convince players to play the system but it also make him reluctant to change it when change is needed.  All systems have strengths and weaknesses and can be game planned against.  Claude has very good success in the regular season because teams rarely have time to put a game plan against the teams system.  In the playoff teams game plan against the Bruins system and because of Claude belief in his system he refuses to change.  He needs to learn to be willing to adjust the system when it is needed.

Plus he seems to lack an understanding of how to motivate players.  I will give him credit as he has started to sit players but I don't like him sitting them for making mistakes.  Player should be sat for a lack of effort, if he ever learns to do this he could be a very good coach.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I'll say it again. The B's were decimated with no Savard, no Krecji, no Sturm after being up 3-0 v. Flyers. They also had an overworked Rask and an injured Thomas backing him up. It was a doom for failure. Had the B's beaten the Flyers, I don't think they would have made it out of the next round.

The team now has a defensive corps that is on paper, pedestrian, but in reality working great....On paper, Chara, Seidenberg, Kampfer, Stuart, McQuaid, and Boychuk doesn't exactly strike fear in the hearts of opponent offenses. But the team may have its best 1 to 4 lines in a long time.

Some guys are just starting to play well--Savard--others are underachieving--Krecji and Horton--and others are playing consistently well--Bergeron, Recchi, Lucic, Marchand, Campbell. Then you have others who are capable of being performers--Ryder, Wheeler, Thornton, and you have a rookie who when he realizes his potential (not this year, but maybe next season) is a star in the making--Seguin.

12 Guys listed, and I think everyone has something to offer. I don't think I could say that about a B's team since as far back as the last Cup finalist team and even that squad basically had a goon 4th line. The team is capable and has a Vezina in goal. Bravo to Julien and bravo to Chickarelli who has a relationship with CJ the way Epstein has it with Tito Francona. If any of you ran the team, julien would be gone...Maybe we can go back to the Dave Lewis days...wouldn't that be fun for you idiots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from corpsie. Show corpsie's posts

[QUOTE]It's not necessarily bad coaching as it is bad leadership - there is a difference.  Losing two game 7's in a row ON HOME ICE constitutes establishing a trend, and quite possibly a serious problem with CJ's abililty to motivate at critical times (ie: leadership).  If that trend continues, I think it would be difficult to explain to the fan base that CJ is coming back.  How many consecutive times can we settle for playoff mediocrity?
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

I really don't see how Scott Walker batting a puck out of mid air after Thomas had made the initial save in overtime being a failure of leadership. That's sports right there. You can be the best prepared, best lead team out there and things like that will still happen.

I could buy Game 7 versus Philly being a leadership issue, since they did blow a 3 goal lead in the game. But Philly once Krejci went down and Carter and Gagne came back, Philly was the deeper team. 

Not that Claude doesn't have his faults as a coach, and you do wonder if at some point his system gets tuned out, but in his tenure the team has made the playoffs all three season, and been just a whisker of luck away from moving to the conference finals. 

(Remember that Recchi shot in Game 4 in OT in Philly that just missed the open net? That to me was the turning point of that series)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

I have posted that the B's are playing great many a time and I have given Kudo's to Cj on parts of it.  Whether we are winning because of him or in spite of him, the jury is still out.

I guess he must be the best coach in B's history in the last 3 years he has won 2 whole freakin series, wow Hall of Fame move over.

He has changed the team style and they are better for it, has he gone as far as he can go, I don't know but his time is running out.

In three years he has won 2 series, but I am pretty sure not too many coaches have lost all 3 years in a row in a game 7. Pretty hard to find that, he is good but not good enough.

He brings the B's back from 3-1 down ties at 3-3 forces a game 7 comes out with nothing and loses 5-0 to the dreaded Habs.
    He took them to 116 points, followed that up with a sweep of the Habs then brings the B's back from 3-1 down ties at 3-3 forces a game 7, comes out down in 3rd Luc ties it and a loss in OT, 2nd round exit.
    Goes winless in a record amount of games, takes the higher seeded Buf out in 6th, plays lower seeded Phi who barely made it into the playoffs over NYR, takes 3-0 lead in series comes to a tie 3-3 and another game 7, takes 3-0 lead in game and loses 4-3 when the other coach in between periods called a win for his team when they were down, and Cj makes history for the 2nd time in 1 year.

Cj shows so much promise and then loses with style, the bottom line is he is losing the big game and until he crosses that, he is not a great coach, good coach, sure, but a great coach- long way to go yet.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Good arguments on both sides here.  To me, though, this discussion is about changing the culture of the team and changing attitudes.  No one has ever been held accountable in this organization (well, maybe MOC was, but trading Thornton worked out for both teams and I feel the B's are better for it today). But really, he was the last guy that paid with his job - right or wrong.

It's time to implement a culture of winning, and get rid of the culture of mediocrity and excuse-making that has permeated this organization for years.  Management has built a great core of players that should be able to take a realistic run at the cup for the next few years at least.

Best case scenario is that they have a deep run this year and not gag like they have the last two, and CJ keeps his job.  If they don't have a good run, are we supposed to justt shrug our shoulders and say "Oh well, wait 'til next year...AGAIN"???  I would hope that Cam wouldn't stand for that attitude anymore.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

last i knew the coach doesn't lace 'em up for the games...there are 20 proffesionals that do. and as far as "wait til next year", 29 teams do that every year. two game seven losses is not gagging...getting swept is gagging. for the past two seasons the b's were ONE goal from the conference finals... after 9 seasons in the joe thornton era(1 playoff series win), the past couple have been very promising...i'm not even that bent after the flyers series... b's won three in a row,flyers won 4 in a row. both streaks were improbable.people have to stop living in the past, and embrace the present-1st in div,3rd in conf.-   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

adk...I'm a fan like you and I appreciate your passion.  Like you, I'm happy that they are 1st in the division and 3rd in the conference.  That's not what I'm talking about though. 

The regular season is just a dress rehearsal for the playoffs - which is when true PROFESSIONALS and CHAMPIONS earn their paychecks.  If they fail again IN THE PLAYOFFS this year, how can we not question the coach's ability, if in fact we like the team in general. 

And if you're not bent on losing to the Flyers last year, then I would say you have much more patience in your heart than I do!! To me that was inexcusable.  Not just that they lost, but the way they lost.  Maybe you're a bit younger than I and you haven't experienced the heartache that's followed this team for the last 40 years.  Let's hope it ends soon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

I have issues with Julien never sitting players over the last 3 years for below average play. He lost respect with his players at different times just for that. How can anyone excuse Ryder's play last year? Ryder never once sat out and Ryder is CJ's boy. CJ is not a good motivator either. Just look back at some of the eggs the B's have laid when they should have been at their best. Maybe the majority are happy with bowing out early every year. I am not happy with last year at all.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

What worries me about the record this year is the record vs teams in the North East division.

You gotta think that while most teams dont prepare for every other teams style during the regular season as much as they do during the playoffs, teams within your own division know your system and weaknesses better.

The team is currently 3-7 against teams in their own division. That is something that kind of worries me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

hangnail...i agree, regular season is a tune up for the playoff push...just get in baby. this is why i don't question the coach's ability...lifetime nhl record of 260-135- almost a 2:1 win to loss ratio- gets you in the dance every time. more playoff wins than in the previous 9 seasons, montreal playoff SWEEP, twice one goal away from a conference final, best record in the east two years ago, best defensive team in the league since he's been there, and currently 1st in division. i'm a firm believer that the coach gets too much credit when they win, and too much blame when they lose. so cj was a great coach getting a 3 goal lead in game 7 last year...then a bad coach because they gave up 4 unanswered???   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Julien started Rask v. the Sabres. I'm curious how many of those losses were with Rask in goal? Thomas is a big difference for the team, no question he helps the team's overall morale, like another Captain on the ice.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

thomas NEEDED a rest he just played back to back...and on tues faced 45 shots!!! tuukka NEEDED to start. that's not a coaching "decision", its common sense. bottom line is, they don't score with tuukka in net...only 3 times have they scored more than 2 goals with tuukka in net 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]hangnail...i agree, regular season is a tune up for the playoff push...just get in baby. this is why i don't question the coach's ability...lifetime nhl record of 260-135- almost a 2:1 win to loss ratio- gets you in the dance every time. more playoff wins than in the previous 9 seasons, montreal playoff SWEEP, twice one goal away from a conference final, best record in the east two years ago, best defensive team in the league since he's been there, and currently 1st in division. i'm a firm believer that the coach gets too much credit when they win, and too much blame when they lose. so cj was a great coach getting a 3 goal lead in game 7 last year...then a bad coach because they gave up 4 unanswered???   
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOT

It doesn't matter when in the game you or your opponent score the goals, it matters what the scoreboard says when the clock reads zero.  Coaches should be evaluated based on RESULTS when the games matter most - which is in the playoffs.  If you're happy with them losing like they have the last 2 years, then that's your prerogative.  Hopefully the reults are better this year.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]hangnail...i agree, regular season is a tune up for the playoff push...just get in baby. this is why i don't question the coach's ability...lifetime nhl record of 260-135- almost a 2:1 win to loss ratio- gets you in the dance every time. more playoff wins than in the previous 9 seasons, montreal playoff SWEEP, twice one goal away from a conference final, best record in the east two years ago, best defensive team in the league since he's been there, and currently 1st in division. i'm a firm believer that the coach gets too much credit when they win, and too much blame when they lose. so cj was a great coach getting a 3 goal lead in game 7 last year...then a bad coach because they gave up 4 unanswered???   
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Holy freakin dense batman.

You must be a Rafiki fan, "doesn't matter, it is in the past"

Right now all we have is the past, 38 going on 39 since we had a present.

Cj has never been a great coach, he is a good coach, no contest, his numbers refute anything against this.  He will not be a great coach until he wins the big game, and with three game 7 losses, his big game needs to get him to the finals, a 3rd round entry does not gain a fn thing.

Cj has the players to get him the full deal, the best goalie, the best D, best D forward, great forwards, an overall good team and spent to the cap.

It is time for Cj to shiite or get off the pot.

Since the earth is off it's axis, Cj's days are shortened.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]thomas NEEDED a rest he just played back to back...and on tues faced 45 shots!!! tuukka NEEDED to start. that's not a coaching "decision", its common sense. bottom line is, they don't score with tuukka in net...only 3 times have they scored more than 2 goals with tuukka in net 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Yeah I guess someone should have told Ruff that Miller has played last 23 games STRAIGHT,  that he should have had a rest.

Whomever doles out the common sense, should give you a visit, because with what you have been spewing, you definitely need a dose of it.

Rask was not the problem, we just did not score, sure he was not and has not been as hot as last year. Had he outplayed Miller like he did in last years playoffs, we would have won yes, had we scored 5 goals or even 3 at more opportune times we still might have won.

Playing TT last night, as common sense says, was not an option, he was to  tired. Pretty sure he had to use a towel as a blanky, he was so sweeeeeepppppy.

Freakin COMMON SENSE, please go get some.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucyk. Show Bucyk's posts

I love how the coaches get painted as having the prime influence on a team, a game, and sometimes that's true but not totally. If the players understand their roles and play like they really want it, there's no discussion. Games are won when players understand how to take the game away from their opponents. That happens immediately after the players "buy in" to the program. With Claude Julien, it's obvious what's expected and how to buy in.