Julien Interview

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Julien Interview

why do you care what julien says to the media? you think the players are getting their coaching from watching the tv? yeah the coach of the boston bruins is talking to you. the ONLY reason coaches speak to the media is because they have to. i bet you love the bill belichick interviews-he looks and sounds like somebody ran over his dog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In Response to Re: Julien Interview:
    [QUOTE]why do you care what julien says to the media? you think the players are getting their coaching from watching the tv? yeah the coach of the boston bruins is talking to you. the ONLY reason coaches speak to the media is because they have to. i bet you love the bill belichick interviews-he looks and sounds like somebody ran over his dog
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Belichick does the 'facts, nothing but the facts' type.  Here's a much longer interview, much more opportunity for Bill to get into trouble, but he doesn't.  This conference as an example;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4yT1bQM0Pw&feature=player_detailpage
    Very matter of fact.
    How many times do you hear him say along the lines of I hope, and we're just going to try and did you hear him say 'well, at kick off time it's the players and it's up to them to do it'.

Most importantly Bill says 'he's learned a lot every year' - but CJ said outright he is doing the same as he'd sone every year.

Look at Wings Coach's comments
    http://video.redwings.nhl.com/videocenter/console

Notice "we like to play here"   "we're excited"

Hey, make no mistake I want this team to win the cup, I think they have a legit shot.

They have not lost a playoff game yet this year - so why does the coach sound like they have?   That's right - they haven't played yet, so why does it sound like the excuses are being cooked up already?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

wow...look a little further into it, and maybe you'll find it was julien on the grassy knoll that day in dallas.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Julien Interview : For what it's worth I agree he looked like the deer in the headlights, and one that knew the truck was coming. He's not an idiot--he knows if the B's don't get out of round 2 he's history.  He also knows the PP has been on life support since Savard got KO'd and that Kaberle hasn't brought it completely back to life. I think that thought process is starting to show to the media. But we'll find out starting tomorrow night whether it's all overblown hooey or not.
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]

And you've touched upon another point for me.

You guys are saying how professional the players should be.

How about the coach?

If he's nervous and his job is on the line, isn't it professional that he doesn't reflect that in a post game presser?

As a matter of fact, isn't it just simply being a professional that he learn how to give a press conference? It is part of the job description, isn't it?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

yes it is part of the job description...and the absolutely least important part.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I heard Horton get inteviewed the other night.  Totally boring and didn't seem to handle it that well at all.  Fine.  it is the least important part of his job by far.

I just heard Bergeron get interviewed on 98.5
    He was freakin brilliant.  When he was asked about being pressured to get the the division finals, his answer was awesome, he said no, not at all, that they had the same expecation of themselves so it was no additional pressure that the fans have the same expectation.

When asked about habs diving, he apologized and answered that it wasn't abou the Habs and what they do - but it's about the Bruins and doing the things that are under their own control and not about what they couldn't control.

It made me feel good and confident about their chances in round 1.

About CJ on the grassy knoll.
    CJ was not on the grassy knoll.

Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone.
    I am 100% certain of that.
    Because I am certain of my country being able to find the truth.

And I am equally certain of the Bruins winning in the first round.

(NAS - you may now start chanting USA USA, it's entirely relevant)

That little speach I made up isn't part of my job description, in fact I don't get paid for anything to do with hockey.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

as long as you feel good and are confident, that's all that matters. oh by the way, did we ever find those weapons of mass destruction? i'm 100% certain it was a lie. let's not talk politics- i was making a joke. lighten up 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

This thread remnds of the two coach interviews during game 7 of the Philli series.  After Philli's frist goal their coach, "I have made an adjustment and told them to use strech passes and we are going to come back and win this game."
    Julien after Philli's second goal, "If we play hard and stick to the system we should be able to hold on."

Now as a player which coach would you rather be listening to?  The power of positive thinking and speach can go along way.  I don't know how many of you are old enough to remember Roger Nilson having his team use Pyramid power in the playoffs but it did get them to over achieve.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Can we all agree it's irrelevant what they say and only what they believe and prove?

This is exactly why Belichick doesn't say anything and his players don't.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

what's funny is people think the players go home and watch sportscenter to be coached. what a coach says to the media has nothing to with what he says in the locker room or behind the bench! are you guys serious?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

[QUOTE]what's funny is people think the players go home and watch sportscenter to be coached. what a coach says to the media has nothing to with what he says in the locker room or behind the bench! are you guys serious?

Both the quotes in my post were made on the bench within ear shot of the players.  It makes me believe that Julien talks to his players in the same manner.  As I said in my earlier post the power of positive thinking and speach can go along way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]as long as you feel good and are confident, that's all that matters. oh by the way, did we ever find those weapons of mass destruction? i'm 100% certain it was a lie. let's not talk politics- i was making a joke. lighten up 

hmmm.  how 'bout that?
    I was joking also.
    Wonder why you didn't catch it?
    A certain coach's post practice presser make you edgey?

You are right, no players go home and watch sports center.

And a post practice  (PRACTICE) presser should NEVER make anyone nervous.

I'm having a deja vu.
    A few years ago Recchi said 99% of the guys in the room cared nothing about anything except winning the cup.

Recchi meant "everyone but one" when he said 99%.  And the discussion went to match, percentages, too much reading into and etc.  And I think any rational person would now agree that it was clear he was talking about Kessel.

After the dust settles on the 2011 series it will go one way or another and if the Bruins lose I believe CJ  will be fired and everyone in hindsight will agree, yah, he was too nervous about his job to keep his job.

And if they win the cup, yah, he was too nervous about doing his job, but they won so everyone will ignore it.

And that summarizes the season(s) as well.

The team is winning, so therefore the coach MUST be doing it right.

How come in the winning situation it can't simply be a matter of the players winning despite their coach?

Press conferences, practices, games, playoffs - what can a coach really do to help the team win?  Nothing?  It's the players on the ice, right?

I'll say this, I don't agree with the way CJ coaches this team or handles players (Seguin particularly), or who always gets ice (Thornton, and Ryder all but 1 or 2 benchings), I didn't like the 7 game round 2 ejections which I believe he had a part in.

Can't I at least get a good post practice presser?  Is that too much to ask?

Bergeron lit up my lamp today on 98.5.  On game days it's a win that floats my boat.  Made me feel good, made me feel confident about the team's chances.  On non game days, can't I get a winning interview?
    And who should be better at that?  Claude or Patrice?

Go ahead and dig through my posts, how many interviews/pressers bothered me other than CJ?  And who was that?  Kessel.  And everyone on the planet save Bruins81 knows who Kessel is now.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

You guys sure get worked up into a tizzy here. 

No more time for talk and over-analyzing. It's time to earn it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]You guys sure get worked up into a tizzy here.  No more time for talk and over-analyzing. It's time to earn it.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

Hey.

I believe I'm pretty fair about this.

Here is today's interview.

http://nhlbruins.tumblr.com/post/4583750653/coach-julien-spoke-after-the-bs-final-practice

I have no problem with this presser whatsoever.

Did he say anything to excite me?  No.
    Did he get all excited and bang his shoe on the table or something? No.

I would have liked it better if he did get me all riled up, but he didn't.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

Same guy one day apart.

I could nit pick as he did say about Luc and Horts, 'hopefully they'll be on their game'.  But that's nitpicking and just the choice of words he used.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Again, though the original complaint and the premise of the person having an issue with Julien's comments is the topic.

We have no idea what Julien says in the locker room before a game, on the ice at practice, at dinner or on the plane.

I have no isssue with keeping the cards close to the vest and in a timely manner, motivating/prodding the team, hopefully successfully.

We don't really know if Julien has this in him. But, someone like a Belichick is the master at this. You don't need to rant and rave with media quotes and pre game speeches, necessarily.

In approach, I'd like to see more fire from Julien at times, but that's not the crux of the issue with this team or a main concern from me entering the playoffs.

This appears to be totally over-analyzed, in my opinion.

It's too late for that.  I said my piece about Jacobs, Chiarelli, etc, and now it's on Julien, the staff and the players to get it right. So, we'll see.

I find myself being more critical of CHiarelli's "we should have a 'successful' run" line than this.

"Successful" is completely subjective and for all we know tied to a Conf Finals appearance, only.   This is why I find Chiarelli's media comments semi-annoying. He acts like he's untouchable and not responsible for the moves he's made, what he pays each player, etc.

Well, guess what? You built this team, so it's got your name on it.  I'd expect the entire organization to shoot for the Cup here.

That would be an improvement from last year, but not the goal. Everyone in that room needs to challenge themselves and ask "why not us"?  WHy can't it be the team with the best goalie in the East, the best D Man, a solid two way group of forwards, a solid system, good face off people, and nice 3rd and 4th lines?

The jig is up.  Go after it and even if you don't accomplish the goal, ask if you really played as well as you could have as a TEAM.

I am done watching other teams from East walk into a Cup Finals, who really aren't any better than the Bruins.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

In Response to Julien Interview:
    [QUOTE]Julien: It's basically out of my hands. The guys know what they're doing. They're the ones on the ice when the puck drops. Audio Link That's what this interview essentially says. I thought it was part of the coach's job description to motivate the team. To be  leader of sorts. To sound like he's actually part of the team. But that's just naive, apparently. I'm not surprised or anything, but this illustrates what I fear most about this series. Not the Habs. Not the refs. Julien. What does surprise me is that in this video from 4/12, (same interview) he actually looks... under-confident. "It's not all about the coach!" He keeps insisting.
    Posted by Bruins-Unite[/QUOTE]

What Julien is saying is that he had 80 games to drill his system into his players...now it's up to them to execute his team strategy.

The better they the players execute his system...the further the team goes .

In essence, it truly is out of Julien's hands at this point !

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobbyOrrAlumni. Show BobbyOrrAlumni's posts

[QUOTE]OK, so it's only the players and the only job of the coach is to sit behind the bench and say 'line 1 now', 'line 2 now' and so forth. And players are totally professional, the crowd NEVER encourages them or discourages them.  They are professional and that doesn't effect them. And players are totally profressional and there is no such thing as a 'locker room cancer' type player who demoralizes his own team mates. If you believe all that stuff I just said, and you think this has been debated 'ad nauseum', then fine.  Disregard this thread and put me on ignore. To claim that " he looks under-confident is 100% absurd " - I have to ask, did you see that interview? He looks nervous, guilty and scared. Watch this video - How to give testimony on the witness stand . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMA3dhtvEV0 Then look at Julien's video. For God's sake,   if you don't notice any similarities, then you are in denial.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Can't agree with you on this one Bad ! You're out in left field when it comes to
    Team sport dynamics. Ever hear of 'over coaching' ?  Players tune coach out and everything goes to hell!

Julien is simply saying it's up to the players to execute what he has been teaching all season long...which was good enough to get the team to 7th overall
    in the league.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Julien Interview : For what it's worth I agree he looked like the deer in the headlights, and one that knew the truck was coming. He's not an idiot--he knows if the B's don't get out of round 2 he's history.  He also knows the PP has been on life support since Savard got KO'd and that Kaberle hasn't brought it completely back to life. I think that thought process is starting to show to the media. But we'll find out starting tomorrow night whether it's all overblown hooey or not.
    If CJ had said he thought Boston could win it all,his statement would've been posted on every opponent's bulletin board as extra motivation.I think he said just what he was supposed to.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]This is probably nit-picking but I can't stand it when coaches say--as Claude did in the DuPont article today--we believe we can "compete for" a Stanley Cup. To me, this has always been code for "we know we're not actually good enough to "win" the Stanley Cup, but if we tweak the wording juuuuuusssst a little bit, we are telling the fan base what they want to hear without putting our necks out there that we believe the team we've built (Neely and Chia have also repeatedly used the "compete for" mantra) is capable of actually winning the d*mn thing. Again, maybe reading too much into it....but it seems to me that if the coach and mgt. were really confident about the team they;'re running out there they'd at least be bold enough to say "we believe we can win the Stanley Cup this year." That's not the same as saying we "will", but it sounds a lot better to my ears than "compete for."

Normally I would agree that CJ is not the most awe inspiring coach, but, did he not answer the question as if he was Bill Belichick rather than Rex Ryan?  In other words he is rather didatic in discribing the upcoming playoffs rather than rah-rah?  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

I agree, CJ was in a lose lose situation answering that one.  However, as long as CJ and Chia, with their passive ways, are around this organization, we are destined for being right around the 2nd round.  Hearing Chia on TnR this am was far more egregious than CJ's comments, in my opinion.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You know that certificate you got online from DeVry stating that you are now a qualifed forensic analyst?  It isn't worth much.

Saying he looks under-confident, or sounds nervous or whatever other levels of stupidity are contained in this thread is simpe projection.  If the B's were 71-9 on the season, had won the Cup with the same roster last year and Julien said the same things in the same way, we'd be reading how much he hated talking to the media, or how he was so brilliantly and strategically aloof.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Julien Interview : Normally I would agree that CJ is not the most awe inspiring coach, but, did he not answer the question as if he was Bill Belichick rather than Rex Ryan?  In other words he is rather didatic in discribing the upcoming playoffs rather than rah-rah?  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

He did...and it would have been totally out of character for him to do otherwise and create the so-called bulletin-board fodder.

Really, I meant this as more of a general dislike for the phrase "we feel we can compete for a Cup." It's said so much (not just by the B's), but I hate it most when it's said by owners or GM's or guys like Neely. It just feels like passive-agressive code to me: "compete for"....well, OK, I guess technically that's what we want...but it just feels like an admission that it's a good team...not great...and we shouldn;t get our hopes up too high. We'll "compete for"....but hey, every team in the league "competes for" the Cup...even the Avalanche...I'd like to hear them say "we feel we can win the Cup." Semantics, probably.

Not saying this is rational stuff on my part,,,was just wondering if anyone else had the same reaction to those kinds of statements.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Do it on the ice.  Nothing else matters.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

I can not believe supposedly knowledgeable hockey fans are defending Julien's hands off approach.  I heard Scotty Bowman and Glen Sather say how important it is for a coach to know their team and push the right buttons at the right time.  I guess Claude I can do nothing now and have never been passed the second round knows more about coaching than these multiple cup winning coaches.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbadbruinsfan. Show bigbadbruinsfan's posts

[QUOTE]I can not believe supposedly knowledgeable hockey fans are defending Julien's hands off approach.  I heard Scotty Bowman and Glen Sather say how important it is for a coach to know their team and push the right buttons at the right time.  I guess Claude I can do nothing now and have never been passed the second round knows more about coaching than these multiple cup winning coaches.
    Posted by Orrthebest[/QUOTE]

On point here orr, all of a sudden it isn't a coaches job to ever motivate the troops?  Listen, if you need a Newt Rockney or Herb Brooks speech every night, then it's the problem of the athletes on the team.  But if your coach can't deliver that emotion at the right time, he's not worth his salt.