Just drop it

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Just drop it

I saw Mckenzie tweet this link.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Drop-It/480181678699361

Guys seem pretty choked. I wonder if they'll follow through.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Just drop it

Every boycott idea is plain stupid and contradictory.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I don't a FB account Red.  Can you post the comments

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Here's the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRYvUUV20TU&feature=g-crec-u

And I tend to agree with NAS. I just saw McKenzie's tweet and share it. I also think the video is well done

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Dumbest thing I ever heard! So, stop going, watching & buying anything to do with the greatest sport on the planet, make them lose more money where it's no longer worth while to keep going! And we lose it for good! Gotcha, makes perfect sense to me!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It will never work.  

I'm not going to go to a game for a LONG time, but so what?  

I'm sure they will sell the ticket to someone else. 

Not buying any merchandise, but I seldom do anyway.

There's no way I can keep from watching games on tv.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

Ummmm....nice idea, but too little to make a real impact.

And red75, the video is well made but methinks the guy standing in the empty arena is standing in front of a blue screen with a lot of reverb in his voice. Nonetheless, not bad.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I think you're right about the green screen - that looks like the Staples Centre, and I don't think they have their ice down due to the lockout, and I doubt they'd let them paint Just Drop It on centre ice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Well done video, but there is no way I could make the pledge as I know there is absolutely no way I could boycott the NHL once back.  Buy no merchandise.....mabye.  Not go to any live games....also mabye (mostly because I live in Vancouver). Not watch on TV......haha not a chance in hell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Doesn't NESN owe it to me to play Providence Bruins games?

If there's no NHL shouldn't I get a substitute?

Something like that might gain more traction than boycotting the NHL.

Or maybe start some organization that would says anti-NHL merchandise with proceeds going to charity or youth hockey.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

People that are trying to organize boycotts will be the first ones in line when they come back. If they didnt care as much they wouldnt be so upset that they are trying to organize them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Or maybe start some organization that would says anti-NHL merchandise with proceeds going to charity or youth hockey.

[/QUOTE]

The B's (Jacobs) own part of NESN, but they don't own part of the Providence team.  He doesn't want to promote that team in fear that people will go there instead of to NHL games when they return.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

People that are trying to organize boycotts will be the first ones in line when they come back. If they didnt care as much they wouldnt be so upset that they are trying to organize them.

[/QUOTE]

I agree Kel, and it's hilarious listening to these people who say they don't care anymore & that they hate the NHL, but yet they're continueously on TSN, or here, or some other type of blogging, forum taking the time to tell the world. How they won't be wasting their time with the NHL again. That they just don't care anymore. Well if they didn't care & hate it so badly & won't be wasting their time with it again. Why are you wasting our time telling us about it? If you don't care, or won't be supporting....Just go the f away!! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Doesn't NESN owe it to me to play Providence Bruins games? If there's no NHL shouldn't I get a substitute?

The P-Bruins, while grinding out some wins lately, are no substitute. Imagine a powerplay worse than the Big Bruins of 2010 and 2011 powerplay but slower developing, like watching snails crawl.

Cmon you know every blue collar Boston plummer, electrician, city worker can't wait to get homep crack a Narragansett beer then turn on Liverpool football. I thought all good New Englanders were now sold on English Premiere League ? lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I agree with everyone that formal boycotts or threats really don't work, and who wants to avoid hockey when it is back just to fill your spiteful promises?

But, I do think the informal/unplanned reactions will hurt the NHL significantly.  Like people who are just losing interest, finding hockey elsewhere, and spending their extra money on other things. Without a big plan or coordinated effort, I think this is happening everywhere.  People are not going to run out and buy tickets as soon as the NHL comes back (or jerseys, or the Centre Ice package, etc.).  If they're like me, they've already found alternatives, and just won't have the excitment in January to spend money on the NHL, like they would have in August. 

I'm not out to punish the league (don't mind doing it though).  I've just bought more college hockey tickets, cancelled the Center Ice package, and found other things to spend my hockey money on.  I'm not even trying to make a point.  But when you lose something, you move on.  And when that something suddenly comes back...you might be into something else, or just be slow to come back.

I'll be back, but my 2012-13 hockey budget has gone elsewhere.  I'll watch free games on tv this year, but that's about it.  Maybe next year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I agree with everyone that formal boycotts or threats really don't work, and who wants to avoid hockey when it is back just to fill your spiteful promises?

But, I do think the informal/unplanned reactions will hurt the NHL significantly.  Like people who are just losing interest, finding hockey elsewhere, and spending their extra money on other things. Without a big plan or coordinated effort, I think this is happening everywhere.  People are not going to run out and buy tickets as soon as the NHL comes back (or jerseys, or the Centre Ice package, etc.).  If they're like me, they've already found alternatives, and just won't have the excitment in January to spend money on the NHL, like they would have in August. 

I'm not out to punish the league (don't mind doing it though).  I've just bought more college hockey tickets, cancelled the Center Ice package, and found other things to spend my hockey money on.  I'm not even trying to make a point.  But when you lose something, you move on.  And when that something suddenly comes back...you might be into something else, or just be slow to come back.

I'll be back, but my 2012-13 hockey budget has gone elsewhere.  I'll watch free games on tv this year, but that's about it.  Maybe next year.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not so sure they don't.  People that hang around forums like these represent a very insignificant ratio of those consuming NHL hockey.  We're the addicts, not an adequate representation of the average hockey fan.

You hear players, coaches, owners, many people talk about respecting the game. The game is losing a lot of respect from a lot of people, and that could really impact the growth cycle.  The term "boycott" seems a little over the top to me too, however, continued badmouthing of the NHL product as a result of serial labour unrest can influence people to distance themselves from a sport that already is perceived to have plenty of issues.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Whenever opening night is, you can guarantee that the ACC, Rogers Ctr, Garden, etc. will be full.

No point to a formal boycott. I've personally decided to show my disapproval of  the owners and players by not buying merch, Centre Ice, or tix this year, but I can guarantee, when they drop the puck finally, I'll be on my couch in front of NESN with a cold beverage ready to watch the B's.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Whenever opening night is, you can guarantee that the ACC, Rogers Ctr, Garden, etc. will be full.

No point to a formal boycott. I've personally decided to show my disapproval of  the owners and players by not buying merch, Centre Ice, or tix this year, but I can guarantee, when they drop the puck finally, I'll be on my couch in front of NESN with a cold beverage ready to watch the B's.

[/QUOTE]

If a lot of people follow your example, these guys might not be so cocky next time a deal needs to get done.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I think an idea along these lines might work.

Sell some sort of anti-lockout or work stoppage jersey or something, maybe a jersery that sort of kind of resembles your favorite NHL team, but is NOT.

The people selling the 'lockout jersies' would then turn around and buy blocks of tickets at NHL rinks - and then have people not show up.  The blocks of empty seats at some rinks during the season would be an embarassment to SOME teams, and then again, no one will notice at rinks in Phoenix or Tampa.

Or some idea along the lines of fans showing they are upset by DOING something, the idea of NOT DOING ANYTHING (not going to go to games, not watching on tv) just isn't viable because there's no satisfaction in it.

A fan strategy has to be developed where fans can do something to express their discontent, show the NHL & players hockey dollars are going somewhere else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You hear players, coaches, owners, many people talk about respecting the game. The game is losing a lot of respect from a lot of people, and that could really impact the growth cycle.  The term "boycott" seems a little over the top to me too, however, continued badmouthing of the NHL product as a result of serial labour unrest can influence people to distance themselves from a sport that already is perceived to have plenty of issues.

[/QUOTE]

What is this based upon?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

If a lot of people follow your example, these guys might not be so cocky next time a deal needs to get done.

[/QUOTE]

If it's a 10 year CBA, which the owners want, the current business decisions will be the same in the future.  The owners will be making their money and the ridiculous players will be effectively holding out for a bigger pie piece.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is this based upon?

[/QUOTE]

continuing negativity toward the NHL product equates to a lessening of respect.    based on a few hundred tv clips I've watched, countless articles I've read, and the opinions of dozens of more than casual NHL hockey fans.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If it's a 10 year CBA, which the owners want, the current business decisions will be the same in the future.  The owners will be making their money and the ridiculous players will be effectively holding out for a bigger pie piece.

[/QUOTE]
    What is this based on.  The "ridiculous players" haven't done that yet.  It's always been the wonderful owners.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

i would say yes but it aint gonna happen

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What is this based upon?

[/QUOTE]

continuing negativity toward the NHL product equates to a lessening of respect.    based on a few hundred tv clips I've watched, countless articles I've read, and the opinions of dozens of more than casual NHL hockey fans.

[/QUOTE]

What I've seen is a lot of people telling us about how people feel, and a bunch of people saying that people aren't going to return.  We heard the same exact storylines in 2005.