Kadri steamrolls Backstrom

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Kadri steamrolls Backstrom

Forgive and minimize all you want, that's a straight up elbow to the head on a statiionary goalie, in the crease.  To watch it on tv, call it a bump, and blame the goalie for being wimpy is slipping into the caveman nonsense that has helped to usher in the concussion era.  

You can't skate into the crease, untouched, and blow up the goalie.  I know it's been boring around here, but taking up irrational, overly contrarian opinions isn't really working to spice things up in any kind of interesting way.

I do think everyone here can agree that the Wild just look pathetic.  Twice everyone just stands around trades glances between Kadri and the ref with a look of dismay.  I don't know if immediate retribution works as a deterrent or not, but it sure beats doing nothing at all.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Forgive and minimize all you want, that's a straight up elbow to the head on a statiionary goalie, in the crease.  To watch it on tv, call it a bump, and blame the goalie for being wimpy is slipping into the caveman nonsense that has helped to usher in the concussion era.  

You can't skate into the crease, untouched, and blow up the goalie.  I know it's been boring around here, but taking up irrational, overly contrarian opinions isn't really working to spice things up in any kind of interesting way.

I do think everyone here can agree that the Wild just look pathetic.  Twice everyone just stands around trades glances between Kadri and the ref with a look of dismay.  I don't know if immediate retribution works as a deterrent or not, but it sure beats doing nothing at all.

[/QUOTE]

Fletch, whatever.  Because I see it differently, I'm just saying it to make things exciting?

I see it one way.  You see it differently. 

Maybe everyone here is all over Kadri because he's a Leaf?  Maybe everyone is all over Kadri because they're secret Wild fans?  That's about as reasonable as your statement.

Backstrom's Broadway act notwithstanding, Kadri skated into the crease, made contact and got a penalty for doing it. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

I think Kadri extended his arm to increase the force behind his contact. I think the Marchand hit should not be compared to this.

Not a fan of either play, but running a goalie in his crease when there is no real reason to should get him a night in the press box.

Then he goes and elbows Granlund. Guy is dumb as a box of rocks. Didn't he get suspended previously for shananigans like this?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Hearing this afternoon for NAS' hero.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think Kadri extended his arm to increase the force behind his contact. I think the Marchand hit should not be compared to this.

Not a fan of either play, but running a goalie in his crease when there is no real reason to should get him a night in the press box.

Then he goes and elbows Granlund. Guy is dumb as a box of rocks. Didn't he get suspended previously for shananigans like this?

[/QUOTE]

When did he elbow Granlund?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Fletch, whatever.  Because I see it differently, I'm just saying it to make things exciting?

I see it one way.  You see it differently. 

Maybe everyone here is all over Kadri because he's a Leaf?  Maybe everyone is all over Kadri because they're secret Wild fans?  That's about as reasonable as your statement.

Backstrom's Broadway act notwithstanding, Kadri skated into the crease, made contact and got a penalty for doing it. 

[/QUOTE]

Well, I think shupe is baiting for sure, and I think you have a desire to be contrarian sometimes as well, when you feel like the board is overreacting to something.  

I really didn't give a moment's thought to Wild or Leafs last night (I don't hate the Leafs), but was just kind of shocked at what I saw.  Can you really tell me honestly you watched Kadri's two hits last night and thought "meh, no big deal".  I saw two suspendable, blindside head shots, and one of them was on a goalie standing in his crease, with no puck in play and no push from a D-man.  It was bizarre.  I thought Backstrom took a pretty hard shot, helmet or no helmet.  I never once thought to question his toughness or assume he was faking on that one.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

He should get 5 games.

It was a dirty play.  He raised his arm and hit Backstrom in the head.  He should get 2 games for that, because head shots are not OK.  When you factor in that it was a goalie who was clearly in his crease, he should get 5.

Diry play and Kadri is a little punk.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Give him a game or two. Move along, nothing much to see here.

Yes, Kadri ran him and it was stupid. That said, Backstrom looks like he deserves 2 for embellishment to me. He didn't get shot with a high powered rifle (which is how it looked). He was playing it up for the officials.

Kadri should get a game for running him in the crease and arm to the head...that is the difference between that and Lucic/Miller. Miller was 30 feet away from the crease. Two guys were racing for a loose puck. As Book said...apples and carburetors

I find it hard te believe the Wild players didn't clean Kadri's clock after that. 2 minutes and a severe beating would have been appropriate.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Whoever made this is a Genius!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yes, Kadri ran him and it was stupid. That said, Backstrom looks like he deserves 2 for embellishment to me. He didn't get shot with a high powered rifle (which is how it looked). He was playing it up for the officials.

Kadri should get a game for running him in the crease and arm to the head...that is the difference between that and Lucic/Miller. Miller was 30 feet away from the crease. Two guys were racing for a loose puck. As Book said...apples and carburetors

I find it hard te believe the Wild players didn't clean Kadri's clock after that. 2 minutes and a severe beating would have been appropriate.

[/QUOTE]

He left the game injured

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kadrihit_medium

One angle

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs-kadri-ejected-for-hit-on-wild-s-granlund-1.2426046

Tucked or not...elbow to the head. No doubt!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Scum!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He left the game injured

[/QUOTE]

My bad, I thought he stayed in the game after that...no? I think the Granlund hit is much cheaper

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to OatesCam's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He should get 5 games.

It was a dirty play.  He raised his arm and hit Backstrom in the head.  He should get 2 games for that, because head shots are not OK.  When you factor in that it was a goalie who was clearly in his crease, he should get 5.

Diry play and Kadri is a little punk.

[/QUOTE]

When did he raise his arm?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He left the game injured

[/QUOTE]

My bad, I thought he stayed in the game after that...no? I think the Granlund hit is much cheaper

[/QUOTE]

No. Harding came in after the hit and Backstrom went to the room.  I won't play doctor and pretend to know if there was a real injury or not, but I thought his initial reaction looked genuine.  Looked like a pretty good bell-ringing, at least.  I didn't see any soccer player flail, he just dropped.

Just watched both hits again and am still surprised there is a debate on this.  Both head shots, both blindside, one on a goalie in the crease.  It would be hard to argue that either one was an attempt at a body check where the head was also inadvertantly caught -- both seemed to be targeting the head primarily, to my eyes.

Whatever though, I don't care much about either team, and my attention for this is probably heightened due to nothing happening in Bruinland too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Kadri makes contact with Backstroms head.

I dont think Kadri was moving with enough force to result in any injury on Backstrom.

Of course Backstrom feels contact and falls to the ice liek he has been shot.

I agree with NAS there, thats looked bad. It was bad when Billy Smith did it, it's bad now.

I think Kevin Weekes described this perfectly when he described it as "accidentally, on purpose."

I don't think Kadri meant to skate over and hit Backstrom, I do think once he realized where he was he didnt make any attempt to avoid contact.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just watched both hits again and am still surprised there is a debate on this.  Both head shots, both blindside, one on a goalie in the crease.  It would be hard to argue that either one was an attempt at a body check where the head was also inadvertantly caught -- both seemed to be targeting the head primarily, to my eyes.

[/QUOTE]

Blindside?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yah goalies should be expecting that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yah goalies should be expecting that.

[/QUOTE]

Who said they should be expecting it?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"It wasn't intentional"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Why does the elbow have to be extended to be an "elbow" ?

Oldest trick in the book. Cooke, Kaleta and Ott have mastered it.

Some posters just can't comprehend it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Those screen captures are pretty misleading NAS.  I mean, I could show you a picture a guy's fist against another guys face and then we could debate whether he was just holding it there, or if we're looking at a punch an the exact point of impact.  The half second before and after your screen capture would tell you a lot.  But Judge, I was just leaning my fist against his face, as the still picture shows...

The screen capture above shows Kadri's elbow going into Backstrom's head.  If you watch the video, you see it went into him with momentum.  Upward momentum, with a big follow through.  He popped him in the head with an elbow, and followed through.  A freeze frame of the point of impact tells you very little.

Same on the 'blindside' point, although I'll admit that Backstrom turned that way at the very last second.  But Kadri comes in from the side while Backstrom in looking forward, and appears to line him up.  Backstrom has no chance to see him coming, which is almost a moot point since that goalie wouldn't expect to get checked in his own crease anyhow.  But he came in from the side, where Backstrom couldn't see him coming.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

2 games for Backstrom hit, and because Rat Kadri is now a repeat offender it should be 5 games for the Granlund hit, 7 games total.........total loser.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

2 games for Backstrom hit, and because Rat Kadri is now a repeat offender it should be 5 games for the Granlund hit, 7 games total.........total loser.

[/QUOTE]

I dont think you can be considered a repeat offender for something that happened earlier in a game. There would have to be a process first. That said, I think he gets a few games for the Granlund hit as Shanahan takes the Backstrom play into consideration.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Hard to believe the hearing is for the hit on the goalie only. I think the Granlund hit is a lot more vicious.