Kerry Fraser owns Habs fan on TSN over Gallagher non-call.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Kerry Fraser owns Habs fan on TSN over Gallagher non-call.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=442918

Hi Kerry,

I enjoy reading your column - hope you keep it up!

In the final seconds of the third period of the Winnipeg/Montreal game, Brendan Gallagher looked like he was attempting to get back on-side. However, as he was starting to skate back, Al Montoya, Zach Bogosian and Jacob Trouba blatantly interfered with his progress.

If the referee wasn't around, I would have thought that he just missed it. However, this all enfolded in front of a referee. It seemed the ref either purposely wanted the game to be over, sadistically wanted Gallagher to get roughed up, or favoured the Jets to win! Please explain why it wasn't a penalty and what (if any) you would have done differently.

Regards, Lee

Hi Lee:

I can assure you that none of the three assertions you made were even remotely part of the referee's mindset or affected his ultimate decision not to assess a penalty against the Jets. Instead, Brendan Gallagher engaged in a losing battle of will with the referee when he attempted to draw a penalty by embellishing the contact with Zach Bogosian (twice) and Al Montoya. Once a referee suspects a player is guilty of embellishing he does not want to be fooled into calling a weak penalty as a result of any theatrical performance."

Players that embellish on a consistent basis run the risk of not receiving the benefit of the doubt when they are legitimately fouled. Brendan Gallagher is too effective and too good a player to develop that unwanted reputation from the refs."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3AaDpNpb5U

Comedy ensues in the comment section.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: Kerry Fraser owns Habs fan on TSN over Gallagher non-call.

I also heard on the radio that Fraser said Gallagher made his bed and therefore the ref let him lie there.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I've gained more respect for Fraser from this blog, than I ever did from his work on the ice.

Great description.  Great point.  Can we forward this logic to the refs of the next Bruins-Habs game*

*well aware that Marchand is exactly the same type of player and doesn't get the benefit of the doubt either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I also heard on the radio that Fraser said Gallagher made his bed and therefore the ref let him lie there.

[/QUOTE]

A ridiculous level of diving and theatrics.  Gald that not only he didn't get the call but he also cost his team the chance to get back in the zone.

Montreal fans should be mad at him.  They won't be, but they should.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Regards, Lee

Players that embellish on a consistent basis run the risk of not receiving the benefit of the doubt when they are legitimately fouled. Brendan Gallagher is too effective and too good a player to develop that unwanted reputation from the refs."

Comedy ensues in the comment section.

[/QUOTE]

He has this reputation already and he's a young player, fits right in with the Scabs. No questioning his ability and willingness to go to the net, Rene Bourque is 2x his size and is petrified of the front of the net but ultimately Gallagher's diving undermines his talent. He fits right in with the Montreal style of play though.I watched this game and the play in question and Gallagher while trying to leave the zone skated intentionally through the crease to entice Montoya to react and he did.Of course when Trouba & Montoya responded Gallagher flopped to the ice, it looked good on him as the Scabs couldn't re-enter the Jet zone and precious time ran off the clock.Any Montreal loss is a great loss.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

A ridiculous level of diving and theatrics.  Gald that not only he didn't get the call but he also cost his team the chance to get back in the zone.

Montreal fans should be mad at him.  They won't be, but they should.

[/QUOTE]

The same fans that despise Marchand think Gallagher is the best, but thats the way fans are. I love Marchand and hate Gallagher, go figure.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:[QUOTE]

Regards, Lee

Comedy ensues in the comment section. [/QUOTE]

I watched this game and the play in question and Gallagher while trying to leave the zone skated intentionally through the crease to entice Montoya to react and he did.Of course when Trouba & Montoya responded Gallagher flopped to the ice, it looked good on him as the Scabs couldn't re-enter the Jet zone and precious time ran off the clock.Any Montreal loss is a great loss. [/QUOTE]

Always fun to watch a epic fail like that. It is especially good when it is a smurf!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Good for old helmet hair. He'd better have his head on a swivel if he's ever in Montreal. Somebody might dive at his feet and he could trip and hurt himself.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

i saw this a couple days ago and someone tried telling me it was interference and tripping. lmao Gallagher runs into the goalie, then tries to skate between Montoya and the net (a big no no) then flops. typical Hab

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd love to get a retired referee like Frasers honest opinions on certain plays,players and things while they were working. Things like a teams/players reputation for embellishing etc..Does anyone know of a book thats out there wint this kind of content?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Exactly what I saw in the clip.  If it was the other way around with Gallagher as a Jet I think Winnpeg would have been assesed a penalty.  Fraser had the correct assessment.  

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He has this reputation already and he's a young player, fits right in with the Scabs. No questioning his ability and willingness to go to the net, Rene Bourque is 2x his size and is petrified of the front of the net but ultimately Gallagher's diving undermines his talent. He fits right in with the Montreal style of play though.I watched this game and the play in question and Gallagher while trying to leave the zone skated intentionally through the crease to entice Montoya to react and he did.Of course when Trouba & Montoya responded Gallagher flopped to the ice, it looked good on him as the Scabs couldn't re-enter the Jet zone and precious time ran off the clock.Any Montreal loss is a great loss.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

I can't commet on the incident when one the Bruins best players would do the exact same thing. But, I can certainly comment on the moron who asked Kerry the question. This is a non-objective fan. Something Hab, Canuck & Flames fans are notorious for! They can only see wrong when it's done by others. They can't see wrong when it's their own team. Glad Kerry didn't pull any punches.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to islamorada's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Exactly what I saw in the clip.  If it was the other way around with Gallagher as a Jet I think Winnpeg would have been assesed a penalty.  Fraser had the correct assessment.  

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I thinks so too, but as Fraser alluded to,Gallaghers reputation is gaining steam.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't commet on the incident when one the Bruins best players would do the exact same thing. But, I can certainly comment on the moron who asked Kerry the question. This is a non-objective fan. Something Hab, Canuck & Flames fans are notorious for! They can only see wrong when it's done by others. They can't see wrong when it's their own team. Glad Kerry didn't pull any punches.

[/QUOTE]

I know there is plenty of homerism here too, but I think that if Marchand does this (...this exact thing) he would be getting lit into by 80% of the regulars here.

I've seen him try to draw penalties and I've seen him do some chippy things.  But when your teammates are desperately trying to score and they have to stop and wait at the blueline for this nonsense to play out, I think you get reamed pretty good.  I'd be ripping Marchand for this.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

I know there is plenty of homerism here too, but I think that if Marchand does this (...this exact thing) he would be getting lit into by 80% of the regulars here.

I've seen him try to draw penalties and I've seen him do some chippy things.  But when your teammates are desperately trying to score and they have to stop and wait at the blueline for this nonsense to play out, I think you get reamed pretty good.  I'd be ripping Marchand for this.

[/QUOTE]

Man would Marchand be taking a beating on here if he did the same thing and it would be justified.While i don't always agree with Fraser, i was glad he didn't pull any punches and told it like he saw it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes there is Fletch! Objectivity, is one of the hardest things to be as sports fan. I'm not perfect at it, but I certainly try hard at it. 

And I would be too!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan084evr. Show bruinsfan084evr's posts

Kerry Authur Fonzarelie Fraser AAAAAAAAAAAAAA Cool

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:[QUOTE]Good for old helmet hair. He'd better have his head on a swivel if he's ever in Montreal. Somebody might dive at his feet and he could trip and hurt himself. [/QUOTE]

It would be a waste for Kerry to stop and try to explain the rules.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Commented on this right after the game on the out of town blog. Major embellishment but I was shocked that the call was not made -- the game being in Habland and seeing 3 Jets players involved. Kudos to the refs for not buying the antics.

Like him or not -- another fun read is Fraser's book -- Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes. Gave me a whole new respect for the guy.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to zamboni24's comment:[QUOTE]

Commented on this right after the game on the out of town blog. Major embellishment but I was shocked that the call was not made -- the game being in Habland and seeing 3 Jets players involved. Kudos to the refs for not buying the antics.

Like him or not -- another fun read is Fraser's book -- Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes. Gave me a whole new respect for the guy. [/QUOTE]

Thanks I was trying to remember the name of the book.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

If Marchand did this, he would get teemed out by Julien, Chara and Bergeron and wouldn't do it again. That's the difference. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

In response to zamboni24's comment:[QUOTE]

Like him or not -- another fun read is Fraser's book -- Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes. Gave me a whole new respect for the guy.

Thanks I was trying to remember the name of the book.

[/QUOTE]

Along with Cornered by Ron Maclean it's easily one of the best hockey books of recent years. His recount of Gretzky's high stick alone makes the book worth a read.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] Like him or not -- another fun read is Fraser's book -- Final Call: Hockey Stories from a Legend in Stripes. Gave me a whole new respect for the guy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I was trying to remember the name of the book. [/QUOTE]

Along with Cornered by Ron Maclean it's easily one of the best hockey books of recent years. His recount of Gretzky's high stick alone makes the book worth a read.[/QUOTE]

And at the right price on Amazon. Another added to my list as well.