Keys to a repeat?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Keys to a repeat?

This may be a reach of a post, but how many more "Sign Marchand" or "Where in the World is Lord Stanley?" threads can I read?

I think we can all reasonably agree that repeating a Stanley Cup championship is one of the hardest feats in professional sports. I'm willing to lower the bar a little and talk a "3 year" window of playing FOR another Stanley Cup. Over those 3 years, who are the keys to the Bruins making such a play? Is it someone developing? Someone staying healthy? Or re-signing someone in that window?

Let's go BRUINS!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Re: Keys to a repeat?

Lack of complacency.  That's the key.  They won the Cup because of the very real "they wanted it more than the other guy" cliche.  That will be tougher to do with the bulls-eye on their backs this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Keys to a repeat?:
    [QUOTE]Lack of complacency.  That's the key.  They won the Cup because of the very real "they wanted it more than the other guy" cliche.  That will be tougher to do with the bulls-eye on their backs this year.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]
    Agree 100%. The core of the championship team is locked in just like I expect Marchand to eventually be. For most of the team, getting a year older is a good thing. Guys like Bergeron and Krejci are young enough that they should continue to improve for at least a few more years. Avoiding injury and complacency are the keys to another long playoff run.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from whitbomb. Show whitbomb's posts

Health

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]Health
    Posted by whitbomb[/QUOTE]

That's a given.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

We need someone from Providence to step up and claim a vaccant spot on the roster, fit into the dressing room and buy into CJ's system. There are a few spots open. I really really hope some of our draft picks get their wings and fly out of Providence this season....go bruins go !

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from habsno17. Show habsno17's posts

Thomas needs to play up to about 90% or so of this years performance. They might be able to win it with less, but its gonna hinge on goaltending as it always does, so Thomas has to be there, no letup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

Being hot at the right time . Let's say April, May and June.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]They need to get a Top 4 seeding.   Once they're in the dance, I'd give them the huge advantage based on how well they remember how they fought their way with resilience to win this one. The Blackhawks got complacent in the regular season and earned the #8 seed.  In spite of that they were 1 OT goal from taking down the Canucks in the 1st round.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

ipot - Absolutely in agreement with you especially if we are to consider the changes and potential improvments other teams have made translate on the ice.  This piece from yesterday's Toronto Sun attempts to examine this topic but with regards to the plight of the Leafs but I'd say it can also be applied to the competition around the Bruins.
    http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/15/leafs-better-but-are-they-good-enough

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Two things need to happen: Tyler Seguin on offense, Dougie Hamilton on defense.

If yes, dynasty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Keys to a repeat? : That's a given.
    Posted by jalvis[/QUOTE]

It is a given but is often the deciding factor in all teams runs.  Boston avoided major injuries throughout until Horton.  And I believe that hit is what put the team over the edge.  As ironic as that is. 

Health is a given but it definitely is the biggest factor. 
    Van kept losing key player/s.  It was a big factor in the finals.  W/O taking anything away from the cup win.  The playoffs are a war not a battle.  We were bit last year.  This year it bit other teams.  That's what makes hockey a true sport and the Stanley Cup IS the hardest award in any sport to win. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Keys to a repeat? : It is a given but is often the deciding factor in all teams runs.  Boston avoided major injuries throughout until Horton.  And I believe that hit is what put the team over the edge.  As ironic as that is.  Health is a given but it definitely is the biggest factor.  Van kept losing key player/s.  It was a big factor in the finals.  W/O taking anything away from the cup win.  The playoffs are a war not a battle.  We were bit last year.  This year it bit other teams.  That's what makes hockey a true sport and the Stanley Cup IS the hardest award in any sport to win. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

I personally think health isn't even worth discussing because it is the obvious #1 factor.  And it's #1 for ANY sport.  When someone asks me the key to a championship I usually answer going on the assumption that injuries are not an issue.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The attitude towards winning is a must.  The influx of younger players on the compete level, the need for 20 something players like Lucic, Horton, and Krejci for instance are keys, and lastly a great defense with Chara, Thomas, and yes Rask.  Coaching will be more difficult with a Cup in hand, CJ will have to be the same task master as before.  Attitude and health, cause the talent is there.  Cap space is mighty important too for acquisitions!  I am postive, what other attitude can you have?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Every year, there are usually 6 - 8 teams with legit shots at the Cup. Winning 4 tough series makes the Cup the toughest championship to win.  You've got to earn 16 slug-em-out wins.  And, in my opinion, most of all, you need a goalie who can play at the absolute top of his game at the most important time.  The key, I think, to the Cup Final was that Thomas was there, and Luongo wasn't.  A lot of other factors cancel out, but the goaltender is usually the determining factor.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]Every year, there are usually 6 - 8 teams with legit shots at the Cup. Winning 4 tough series makes the Cup the toughest championship to win.  You've got to earn 16 slug-em-out wins.  And, in my opinion, most of all, you need a goalie who can play at the absolute top of his game at the most important time.  The key, I think, to the Cup Final was that Thomas was there, and Luongo wasn't.  A lot of other factors cancel out, but the goaltender is usually the determining factor.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

And not having your superstars taking 4 punches to the head & run to the ref! Your team has "no grapes!" That was the final decision! They thought they could finesse their way thru 4 rounds! When push came to shove; your pansy team had NEITHER!!! They're a disgrace to be a representation of Canada!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

To get two in four years with basically the same core is still pretty sweet.  I think we can expand Jalvis's comments about health to "goaltending" and "get hot at the right time" because, with all due respect, those factors are true for every team.  So - unless this thread is coming down to "nothing else matters except..." - I think it's more interesting to put those generic truths aside.

So...my factors:

1. Clean resolution w/ Savard.  Either he retires and the Bruins use his cap hit with impunity or he comes back and plays at 80% of his old production or better.

2. Promote from within.  I'd love to see another deadline-ish trade where Chiarelli deals Corvo because Kampfer gives them the same game or better cheaper - much like the Stu trade making room for McQuaid.  Same story maybe with Kelly?  A Sauve or Caron jumping up to make a real contribution would minimize the risk of losing several UFAs next year.

3. Maintain the tandem.  I don't know if Thomas and Rask are the best tandem in the NHL - they are at least top 5 given that they have the Vezina winner and Rask had stellar numbers two years ago - but keeping both goaltenders happy will be a key challenge.  If Thomas keeps winning Vezinas, how do you walk away from him?  If he stumbles, how much rope do you give a guy whose age might have caught up, and ho quickly do you phase in Rask?  It'll be a dance.

4. Re-sign Krejci.  Maybe Seguin becomes a 90 pt player, but why would you ditch a guy who can score nearly a point/game in the playoffs - outscoring both this year's Hart winner and last year's head to head?  Simplistic thinking says you don't have room for Krejci, Bergeron, and a developing Seguin, but there are ways to make it work with a roster of guys who've got a genuine taste for winning.

5. Take your time with Hamilton, Spooner, Knight, Kokhlachev.  Don't force feed them time - worry about winning more than development.

6 - last but not least - AVOID AN NHL LOCKOUT.  CBA's up after this year.  Nothing will kill a team with a terrific collection of young, diverse, talented players like a prolonged lockout followed by changes to the rules that force management to change its plans.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Repeat performances.   Marchand, Seidenberg, Krejci, and of course Thomas.  Toss in some elevated performances, Seguin mostly, plus a defensman or two, Boychuck maybe Maquiad, and we're right there.  Then it's up to the bounces. 
    This team isn't going to float anywhere.  Need the same commitment night in night out.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

a lockout would break my heart.  this team is built for a few more years and the cupboard is pretty well stocked.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bochi6. Show bochi6's posts

1. Sign Marchand

2. Throw Seguin into the deep end next year. 

3. Also, I think the GM needs to play a huge role in a potential 2012 Cup. If he can properly assess what the team needs near the deadline after seeing how injuries and/or under performing assets are affecting the overall team, the Bruins can pull off the elusive repeat.

For the record...In Chiarelli I believe

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from huntbri. Show huntbri's posts

[QUOTE]Every year, there are usually 6 - 8 teams with legit shots at the Cup. Winning 4 tough series makes the Cup the toughest championship to win.  You've got to earn 16 slug-em-out wins.  And, in my opinion, most of all, you need a goalie who can play at the absolute top of his game at the most important time.  The key, I think, to the Cup Final was that Thomas was there, and Luongo wasn't.  A lot of other factors cancel out, but the goaltender is usually the determining factor.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I agree - repeating is really difficult to do especially now when there is so much parity.  First and foremost you need the kind of goaltending that Boston got from Thomas this year or close to it (can he do it again?), you need to stay healthy and for Boston to repeat their power-play needs to be a lot better.  If you are looking at a 3 year window than development of players like Seguin and Rask and a few others will be key for them making a return to the finals in the next few years.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

I think what will be key is the fact that, given our good cap situation, and especially if and WHEN Savy remains on LTIR, we can essentially bring in anyone (in terms of their salary), and potentially get multiple key contributors...who knows? Maybe get a diamond in the ruff it Pouliot or whoever doesn't pan out on the 3rd line, or we are battling with injuries.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Key to a repeat in 2011-2012: having fresh faces to avoid complacency.

The core of the team is good enough, but every Cup winning team since the lockout has added 2-3 new bodies either at the start of the season or at the deadline that have put them over the top.

Corvo and Pouliot are the only changes this year, but is it enough? It's going to be interesting to see if that killer instinct is there for the first 1/3 of the season. Adding another 1-2 positions at the trade deadline is critical in my opinion. As we've seen, it doesn't have to be a blockbuster. Just a thoughtful analysis of who is mentally ready for the grind and who is not. Filling specific roles.

Beyond 2011-2012, I'd say the key to multiple Cup runs in years 2012-2015 would be to replace Savard's point productivity as a top 6 forward, preferably with a scoring winger given the depth with Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Pevs/Kelly/Campbell - types down the middle.

Long-term 2015-2020: identifying Chara's replacement.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]Key to a repeat in 2011-2012: having fresh faces to avoid complacency. The core of the team is good enough, but every Cup winning team since the lockout has added 2-3 new bodies either at the start of the season or at the deadline that have put them over the top. Corvo and Pouliot are the only changes this year, but is it enough? It's going to be interesting to see if that killer instinct is there for the first 1/3 of the season. Adding another 1-2 positions at the trade deadline is critical in my opinion. As we've seen, it doesn't have to be a blockbuster. Just a thoughtful analysis of who is mentally ready for the grind and who is not. Filling specific roles. Beyond 2011-2012, I'd say the key to multiple Cup runs in years 2012-2015 would be to replace Savard's point productivity as a top 6 forward, preferably with a scoring winger given the depth with Krejci, Bergeron, Seguin, Pevs/Kelly/Campbell - types down the middle. Long-term 2015-2020: identifying Chara's replacement.
    Posted by asmaha[/QUOTE]

Agree.  It's important to get the "right" pieces of the puzzle.  Kelly who I liked immediately was a perfect fit.  Peverly as well.  Kaberle was getting better as we went along. 
    It's the small moves in my opinion that make the most impact.  Team guys willing to buy in and do whatever nec. to help the team win. 
    This team if healthy has a legit shot again next year.  This team is getting better.  Even though we played well, I still hink this team can play better.  I also think the East is going to be a 3 horse race this year. Pitt/Caps/Bruins. 

A few tinkers were made.  A few more will be done in season. 
    Our best players are in their prime.  Our young players have experience and played major roles in winning the cup.  We have the best goalie in the world at the moment and one of the best Dmen in the league.  We have 3 solid lines.  Maybe not a Grade A stud line.  But a very very good top 2 and a very good 3rd line. 

Lots to like about this club.