KPD is way off base

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

KPD is way off base

Today, KPD criticizes Tim Thomas for exercising his right to make his own decision that was not against any known law. That is wrong for KPD. Whatever Tim Thomas's reason, for not attending the White House meet and greet, it did not break the law or any team requirement. As Americans, our right to decide for ourselves is granted in our Constitution. Tim is allowed to make his own decisions, and they are not , or should not be criticized as KPD has done. Kpd owes Tim an apology in writing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: KPD is way off base

KPD is entitled to his opinion(agree or not), TT is free to choose whether he wants to attend the white house or not(agree or not). welcome to the free world.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RawrBear. Show RawrBear's posts

Either way KPD is a huge idiot and severely damages my calm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to KPD is way off base:
    [QUOTE]Today, KPD criticizes Tim Thomas for exercising his right to make his own decision that was not against any known law. That is wrong for KPD. Whatever Tim Thomas's reason, for not attending the White House meet and greet, it did not break the law or any team requirement. As Americans, our right to decide for ourselves is granted in our Constitution. Tim is allowed to make his own decisions, and they are not , or should not be criticized as KPD has done. Kpd owes Tim an apology in writing.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

Sorry bogie, I totally disagree with you on this one...

...this had nothing to do with his constitutional rights and had everything to do with appearing at a tribute for HIS TEAM with HIS TEAMMATES.

The fact that the Commander in Chief of our country makes time in his day to salute the players of the Boston Bruins and their winning the Stanley Cup and you then diss him, in an effort to show your disconcert of the state of the country is a slap in the face to his teammates and the President.

Tim do me a favor next time...stay with your teammates and burn an American flag outside the White House...I'll respect you more for that!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i started this thread after reading the first part of Kpd's rant, because his comments were waaay out of line. I just read the rest of his diatribe and have not changed my mind. If Tim had attended and then expressed his concern , in front of the camera's, that would have tarnished the ceremony and his team-mates. Tim decided to be honorable and not make a fuss. Only KPD and others are making this "NEWS". Think again Kevin, Tim is living his right, and your commentary was derisive and uncalled for.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In Response to Re: KPD is way off base:
    [QUOTE]In Response to KPD is way off base : Sorry bogie, I totally disagree with you on this one... ...this had nothing to do with his constitutional rights and had everything to do with appearing at a tribute for HIS TEAM with HIS TEAMMATES. The fact that the Commander in Chief of our country makes time in his day to salute the players of the Boston Bruins and their winning the Stanley Cup and you then diss him, in an effort to show your disconcert of the state of the country is a slap in the face to his teammates and the President. Tim do me a favor next time...stay with your teammates and burn an American flag outside the White House...I'll respect you more for that!
    Posted by Soxdog67[/QUOTE]

Big deal. Its been done before by other pro sport players, so why is this any different. Its his decision, why should he have to justify it. This is so overblown its ridiculous.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

this is essentially a peaceful protest. shouldn't we embrace this freedom? for those who speak of freedom and rights, this is someone putting them into action. this coming from a poster that supports our president. that's not the issue. it doesn't seem to be the issue with TT either. when people talk about the freedoms that we should appreciate because so many have died preserving  those freedoms..... this is one of them.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to KPD is way off base:
    [QUOTE]Today, KPD criticizes Tim Thomas for exercising his right to make his own decision that was not against any known law. That is wrong for KPD. Whatever Tim Thomas's reason, for not attending the White House meet and greet, it did not break the law or any team requirement. As Americans, our right to decide for ourselves is granted in our Constitution. Tim is allowed to make his own decisions, and they are not , or should not be criticized as KPD has done. Kpd owes Tim an apology in writing.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

it was a team event.  pc could suspend tt if he wanted to, but he won't.  pc wants to return to business as usual and he knows suspending him would do the opposite.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

So, Thomas is entitled to his opinion and KPD isn't?

I don't like KPD either, but could you not expect this to happen?  This is exactly why it was dumb to make a political statement at a team event.  This is what you'll get.  And frankly, you can't blame people for having a reaction to a public statement made at a high profile event.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I've written this before on this site, about much less thorny and more hockey related matters, but - your right to an opinion doesn't preclude the right of others to call your opinion stupid, to challenge the thinking behind that opinion, and to express a counter-opinion particularly when they think that silence will be taken as tacit approval of your opinion.  Back in the day, they called this "dialogue".

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macfact. Show Macfact's posts

Fletch my brother in bruins arms you and know I respect your opinions even though I disagree with you. Which I don't think we do often. But when we do we agree to disagree. And out of a mutual respect and a love for our Bruins team we do not take pot shots at each other we do not lower ourselves to troll status unless it is the normal humor that is expected amongst guys that makes you laugh you not take offense. I know your love for the Bruins and you are deep down a TT fan. This loses something when KPD made this personal against the player not his view points. That is when he lost respect for Bruins fans and TT. Again for the sake of hockey respect comes from disagreeing with a view point NOT hating on the person who has them. KPD crossed the line. He is entitled to his opinion but he is a hockey writer not a political writer. He stopped being respectful in the title of his story to the end. This is not an opinion which he can have this was slant on a man we all hold dear to our hearts. TT was judicious in his comments and did not single out Obama. You may disagree with his views or opinions but he has not lost any luster as our goal keeper. 

This is not the same as team meeting or team building it is an award ceremony. Again forcing him to go is forcing someone to have shared political views in a work place and that is not something we accept here in our great country. Respec the man and disagree with his views but lets all please get back to talking hockey and KPD please go write for the Washington Post. 

Frankly I do not know how I would have handled that situation and see both sides of why and why not be there. So until I walk a mile in his shoes I am not going to judge.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

"Shabby. Immature. Unprofessional. Self-centered. Bush League. Need I go on"?

You just summed up every article you write. Please do us all a favor and retire.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Krispy73. Show Krispy73's posts

KPD is a columnist writing OPINION pieces. What he writes is meant to incite a reaction, postive or negative You're all reacting. He's done his job and he did it well. He wins. Every single time he writes, you read, then comment. He wins.

If you stopped commenting then he'd be out of a job. I see no signs of this happening. Get it?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]KPD is a columnist writing OPINION pieces. What he writes is meant to incite a reaction, postive or negative You're all reacting. He's done his job and he did it well. He wins. Every single time he writes, you read, then comment. He wins. If you stopped commenting then he'd be out of a job. I see no signs of this happening. Get it?
    Posted by Krispy73[/QUOTE]

Dead bang on.  What's deplorable about KPD's story though, is his childish assertion that TT's opinions dictate he's 'UN-American'.  This self-serving, time honored method of engaging the intellectual cellar-dwellers, is anything but insightful journalism.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

It's not uncommon for people to struggle to distinguish the government from the country, the people in office from the institution etc., especially if they work for the media.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

Tim's decision and action (or non-action, whatever you prefer) is controversial. People will talk, and their opinions must be respected also.

I have no problem with Tim's position and no show.

What I have a problem with is his statement: "That's all I will say about it. And I will not comment on this anymore."

Wweeelllll. Hands should not be washed so easily.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

My two cents, for what its worth (and probably not much at that):

- TT has every right to do what he feels
    - The public has every right to voice their support/criticism
    - Neither side is fully right, or wrong.  Merits to both arguments.
    - Folks trying to frame this as a Left/Right/Center argument... please, just stop. 

Tim Thomas is a great guy.  The man plays the game the way it was meant to be played.  Did I personally agree with his decision?  No, I do not.  Do I respect him for having the stones to "come out of the crease" and make waves?  Yes, I do.  Do I personally agree with KPD's opinion?  No, I do not.  Do I respect his argument and think it has merit?  Yes, it does have merit, to some extent, and to some extent I think it is completely subjective.

People are people.  They aren't all good, all bad, Democrats, Libertarians, Communists, Fascists, Republicans, Anarchists.  Look at the totality of the person and walk a couple mile in his/her shoes before casting blame.

Patience, modesty, thoughfulness, understanding, and empathy.  Let's cut everyone a little more slack, aight?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Karl-Hungus. Show Karl-Hungus's posts

both are entitled to their own opinions and i'm glad we're arguing about this. 

be interesting to see if timmah shows up next year if 1600 penn ave nw has a new resident.   

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]It's not uncommon for people to struggle to distinguish the government from the country, the people in office from the institution etc., especially if they work for the media.
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Assume you're talking to me Book.  Do you really think Dupont isn't capable of making that distinction?
    I think he's much smarter, therefore making his content lazier than most.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

[QUOTE]this is essentially a peaceful protest. shouldn't we embrace this freedom? for those who speak of freedom and rights, this is someone putting them into action. this coming from a poster that supports our president. that's not the issue. it doesn't seem to be the issue with TT either. when people talk about the freedoms that we should appreciate because so many have died preserving  those freedoms..... this is one of them.  
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

should he be embraced?...should he be shot?
    What if we looked at this in less absolute terms ?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Unfortunately it will take more than a year for a new President to correct so many problems. my "off-base' comment refers to implaying that Timmy is un-American, and does not respect his Olympic or current Bruins teammates. TIMMY is using his American right of citizenship to protest. Many Americans would love the opportunity to say nasty things to President Obama. Timmy had the opportunity and passed, and is now limiting his involvement in all of the suppositions being spewed forth by the "MEDIA" His beliefs are his right. The "MEDIA" does not have the right to denigrate him with ludicrous references and opinions.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Sure bogie, but he could just say what his actual beliefs are.  The gesture seems a little empty without the logic behind it.  When things are left so vague, people will make judgements.

That's all.  I'm over it.  Go B's.  TT, just keep stopping pucks.  That's why you're here.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

[QUOTE]I've written this before on this site, about much less thorny and more hockey related matters, but - your right to an opinion doesn't preclude the right of others to call your opinion stupid, to challenge the thinking behind that opinion, and to express a counter-opinion particularly when they think that silence will be taken as tacit approval of your opinion.  Back in the day, they called this "dialogue".
    Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

So.. KPD's piece is an "Opinion" piece? If so, why isn't it in the "Opinion section"? I personally think the guy should remain objective, but hey.. that's me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

[QUOTE] The "MEDIA" does not have the right to denigrate him with ludicrous references and opinions.
    Posted by bogie6[/QUOTE]

The media has it's own bias, and we all know what that is. This just proves it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]Sure bogie, but he could just say what his actual beliefs are.  The gesture seems a little empty without the logic behind it.  When things are left so vague, people will make judgements. That's all.  I'm over it.  Go B's.  TT, just keep stopping pucks.  That's why you're here.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    didn't he say he cannot support our federal gov- dem or rep? beliefs do not require logic. many folks are only religous(choose any one you like) because their parents told them what to believe- is this logical? it only requires tolerance from others, if this is truly a free society we live in.