larry brooks article

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: larry brooks article

Apparently, our little corner of the hockey world is the only one that reacted with stunned disbelief to the Bruins' failure to respond two weeks ago when Pittsburgh's Deryk Engelland smashed Marc Savard into the boards with a forearm to the mouth that left the Boston center "woozy."

How is it possible that an organization of such heritage, one that lists Cam Neely on the letterhead as club president, could simply watch again -- again! -- while Savard was hammered again -- again! -- by the same team -- again! -- without a response?

It was no accident the Bruins were so psychologically weak they were beaten by the Flyers after taking a 3-0 lead in games and then a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7 of the conference semis last spring.

It's not going to be an accident when this team of imposing ability and strength on the ice underachieves again.

They don't care enough to protect one another. Or at least, they never cared enough to protect Savard, or to stand up for Savard, whose career is in jeopardy after he sustained another concussion last Saturday following a check from Colorado's Matt Hunwick.

The coach, Claude Julien, has never seemed to see an issue. Neely? It must be studied corporate blindness from the suite above the rink.

The Big Bad Bruins ceased to exist a long, long time ago.

That's a pretty big rip.  Brookes is a dope, but still, that's a big rip.

Dang!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Neither was a hit that would normally cause a head injury so why would there will a need to jump to Savard's defense.  If Brooks watched any Bruins hockey he would know that the Bruins are always there to defend one another when needed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kennedy97. Show Kennedy97's posts

In Response to Re: larry brooks article:
    [QUOTE]  If Brooks watched any Bruins hockey he would know that the Bruins are always there to defend one another when needed.
    Posted by derrickmorin[/QUOTE]

Sometimes it takes until the next game, as in the case of Cooke's initial hit, when the Bruins stood alone like a herd of sheep, but yes...they're always there to defend each other within a week or two of one of them receiving a cheap shot.

While I'm not a Bruins fan, I have a lot of respect for the franchise. Sadly, Brooks is right:  there's no way that some Bruins teams of the past would have been as meek as this one is when it comes to opponents dishing out hard hits (even ones that fall under the definition of legal) to one of their best players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] If Brooks watched any Bruins hockey he would know that the Bruins are always there to defend one another when needed.

Are you referring to the Providence Bruins?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

a New York sports writer bashing a Boston team ? Really ? Yes the NHL must be shutdown for the All-Star weekend and poor Larry wasn't sent by his mighty newspaper to cover the festivities so why not bash a Rangers rival organization the war continues...

I gave up on the Bruins standing up for each other when I watched Aaron Ward stay disciplined while his teammates stood around and did nothing. When players like Ryder and Wheeler are jettisoned from Boston I might start to believe again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from john6345. Show john6345's posts

Larry Brooks is the smae guy John Tortorella would like to punch in the face at most postgame reporters scrums so I don't really care what this clown says.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Must be a slow day in the New York sporting world. Why doesn't Brooks report on what type of sunglasses Avery is wearing ?  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : Are you referring to the Providence Bruins?
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I honestly can't think of any examples where they didn't.  Let's not forget you can't just go ape on a guy who delivers a hit to a good player.  Ask Bertuzzi.  Give me some examples where they should've stuck up for someone and didn't.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : I honestly can't think of any examples where they didn't.  Let's not forget you can't just go ape on a guy who delivers a hit to a good player.  Ask Bertuzzi.  Give me some examples where they should've stuck up for someone and didn't.

Matt Cooke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : I honestly can't think of any examples where they didn't.  Let's not forget you can't just go ape on a guy who delivers a hit to a good player.  Ask Bertuzzi.  Give me some examples where they should've stuck up for someone and didn't.
    Now you've done it.........

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

Although lame retribution, Thornton did fight Cooke.  What did you want? A 5 on 1 stick beating?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Although lame retribution, Thornton did fight Cooke.  What did you want? A 5 on 1 stick beating?
    In hindsight that doesn't sound half bad......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Although lame retribution, Thornton did fight Cooke.  What did you want? A 5 on 1 stick beating?

A little scrap the following meeting at the beginning of the game, and for the rest of the game, Cooke played unscathed while Savard sat in a dark room with headaches, unable to stand upright for more than a few minutes.

Every time Cooke played, a Bruins player should have dropped his gloves and started punching him.  Every time.  It should have ended when either every member of the Bruins was kicked out or Cooke stopped taking the ice.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

I was furious last season the way the team showed for that game against the Pens.  Not only did they not respond emotionally (Chara had to fight and try to get the bench going ) but got outplayed in every aspect of the game.
    I was disgusted. 
    The Bruins had to stick up for the cause that game , even if it meant a loss but had to make the Pens pay physically.  I bet with that frame of mind the Bruins would have won the game . Instead of playing careful that that penalties would play against them . That game I blamed Julien for holding the reigns to his team.
    As for Brookes, he's a knob, if Torts hates the guy there's a reason. 
    Like SanDog said,  what did you expect from the NY (and Ranger) media ???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Have not read this Larry Brooks article, but, in the past he has not been all that acute or perspective. I'm confused by NAS wanting more fights when he and I agree that the Bruins really do not need thornton. A stronger reaction immediately after Cooke hit Savard should have occurred, but neither the Englander or Hunwick hits were cause for a response by another Bruin who would have received a major and game. In hindsight savard's head is more sensitive than he himself thought. He did not indicate any headaches after the Englander hit, but did after the legal check by Hunwick where the damage came from Savard's head hitting the glass. That type of hit happens all the time without injury, but, it now appears that savard's capability to avoid the head hitting anything is not as immediate as most players who bounce off of checks or boards or glass. So, Brooks is just trying to sell papers with creative controversy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : A little scrap the following meeting at the beginning of the game, and for the rest of the game, Cooke played unscathed while Savard sat in a dark room with headaches, unable to stand upright for more than a few minutes. Every time Cooke played, a Bruins player should have dropped his gloves and started punching him.  Every time.  It should have ended when either every member of the Bruins was kicked out or Cooke stopped taking the ice.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I'd agree with you on that.  That is what we would have loved to see for sure.  The reality is that would never happen.  Give me another example other than Savard where they don't stick up for each other.  Bogie made a great point that Julien made it clear that there would be nothing stupid going on against the Pens.  We were all mad about it for good reason.  In my opinion, they have made up for that game and situation big time with big fights and hits at the right times. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

I didn't see a beatdown when Crosby got corked at the winter classic (and don't tell me it wasn't intentional). Where was Orpik,Engelland,Letang,Talbot.Nada. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]I didn't see a beatdown when Crosby got corked at the winter classic (and don't tell me it wasn't intentional). Where was Orpik,Engelland,Letang,Talbot.Nada. 
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

I agree it was intentional. I do it myself when playing hockey or soccer . You brush or instigate your opponent to get him off his game.  He made sure Crosby would feel it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : I agree it was intentional. I do it myself when playing hockey or soccer . You brush or instigate your opponent to get him off his game.  He made sure Crosby would feel it.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I would say Crosby felt it alright. I just think the frontier justice type of reaction has gone the way of the dodo bird. You see fights after clean hits nowadays, something i don't agree with, but actual beat down after beat down rarely happens in todays N.H.L The whole Cooke hit on Savard was horrible and i wish their would have been more of a reaction from the B's but like it or not this is what the N.H.L has become.We'll have to be happy with the Thornton-Cooke staged retaliation i guess.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from number08. Show number08's posts

Crosby is another great example, multiple head shots led to concussion. If his teamates had stepped up RIGHT AWAY FIRST TIME, the next guy coming in on Crosby would think twice before crushing his head in to the glass. This should have been the case with Savard, we would have lost players to major penalties, maybe even suspension, but our best center would still be playing...with some space on the ice!!!  Wake up Bruins.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bridgemanusa. Show bridgemanusa's posts

On the same note, even though he is not the biggest player, Savard was VERY OFTEN the first one in to defend a teamate after a cheap hit. Even if he wasn't going to fight he made sure they know they f'd up and (at least) he wans't too happy about it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from olsonstephanie. Show olsonstephanie's posts

Cooke and Thornton are probably having a steak together talking about their families.  That's the new NHL.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Larry Brooks is the smae guy John Tortorella would like to punch in the face at most postgame reporters scrums so I don't really care what this clown says.
    Posted by john6345[/QUOTE]

This actually brings up his stock in my thinking. Torts is a 100% tool.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: larry brooks article : I agree it was intentional. I do it myself when playing hockey or soccer . You brush or instigate your opponent to get him off his game.  He made sure Crosby would feel it.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

If Steckel was a dirty player, I might agree.  He is not, so I disagree.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

[QUOTE]Neither was a hit that would normally cause a head injury so why would there will a need to jump to Savard's defense.  If Brooks watched any Bruins hockey he would know that the Bruins are always there to defend one another when needed.

Any hit to the head can cause a head injury.  Both were forehead smashes to the dashers,he had his bell rung on both. Any Morin/moron should have seen this and responded. The fact is the big bad B's of old would have responded, for cripes sake they went into the fn stands armed with shoes, what kind of a hockey retaliation was that.

To play as a TEAM you have to back up your TEAMMATES especially the physically challenged players and when he is a star it is tenfold, and |Sav is one of these.

Last week a big todo of Greskin reaching 50, which he would never have reached without Sementhead, McSorely, MR. Lays and others protecting his @$$ on every shift.  You don't have to be a team of goons, you have to be a TEAM!