Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans

Man, you just can't make this stuff up:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392731

I wonder if their apology comes with a refund?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans

I think a poster from here wrote that letter.  Who does it sound like?

We are vewy vewy sowwy we dint make the pwayoffs.  We won't do it again.  We pwomise.

Come to think of it, probably Phil Kessel.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

The Leafs management (not the players) should be apologizing for trying to build a winner by trading away draft picks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

No apologizing unless the effort wasn't there. I think it's absurd.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

OK. Who remembers?  When the Flyers came back from 3 games down in the playoffs a couple of years ago, I recall that KPD demanded a letter of apology.

And I forget what the sentiment was around here.  I think I weighed in, but I can't remember which side of the fence I came down on.

One thing for sure, that apology is tricky business.  you could just be fanning the flames of some fan's fires depending on the wording and what you say.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

I confess I do not remember that BadHab but I don't doubt it. The only thing I can see an apology for at that time was using Whitfield for the last 4 games of that series. Was the B's depth really that thin back then?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from CHARAWINSTHENORRIS. Show CHARAWINSTHENORRIS's posts

I think I had a C in English once. Let me give it a try.

Dear Maple Leafs Fans:

We sucked again. We're a joke. You know it and so do we, but after seven consecutive DNQs, you should've known better. Hahaha, the joke's on you. Keep buying the $8 popcorn and $25 parking spots, losers. We love you chumps.

Sincerely,
    B. Burke.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Who can take anything Burke says seriously anymore? Spewing the same crap for 4 years and no results.

Since the Leafs last made it to the finals only Columbus, the Wild, Jets, Coyotes, Predators and Sharks haven't made at least one appearance in the Finals. Talk about futility. Tha Panthers have been more successful for gawd's sake.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I thought Burke was looking more and more like Glen Grunwald.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think it's a dumb idea.  To agologize is to admit that you didn't do something you should have -- try hard enough? play hard? play smart? what? 

If they gave 100% but just weren't good enough, then there is no reason to apologize.  Doing so is almost an admission of guilt.

While I think that Kessel and Phaneuf don't play all that hard or care all that much about winning, Burke should be the only one apologizing to the fans.  He's the one who's never decided if he's rebuilding or going for the Cup, and he's assembled a team that any hockey fan can tell won't win.  The money they've spent on mediocrity is insane.  More bad contracts than any team in the league (maybe tied with Montreal).  High priced forwards who can't score, defensmen who can't skate, totally unreliable goalies, and seemingly indifferent star players.

I would never expect that roster to make the playoffs, so how much can you really blame the players?  Or the coach?  You can make chicken salad with chicken...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In Response to Re: Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans:
    [QUOTE]Who can take anything Burke says seriously anymore? Spewing the same crap for 4 years and no results. Since the Leafs last made it to the finals only Columbus, the Wild, Jets, Coyotes, Predators and Sharks haven't made at least one appearance in the Finals. Talk about futility. Tha Panthers have been more successful for gawd's sake.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Burke Red, here is his post-season media address. You probably already read it:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392736

He mentions size and goaltending as his greatest priorities. Same as last year, and the year before that, etc.

some things never change.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wheatskins. Show Wheatskins's posts

jmwalters, the Letter is from the desk of the President, Larry Tannenbaum, and signed by him.

The Leaf players probably couldn't write a letter if they tried.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Re: Leaf President Writes Apology Letter to Fans

Wheatskins, my mistake. I will change the headline.

Edit: Damn, I guess I can't.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

Perhaps for the sake of their fans the word "refund" should be included in that letter of apology from MLSE president Tannenbaum.  How about "money back guarantee" also?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Sorry I don't care about winning and have no heart, but keep on coming to games so I can bank my big paycheck and buy lots of pudding for me and my dog.

Sincerly, Phill Kessel.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Do the Leafs allow fried chicken and beer in the lockerroom?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

On Behalf of all Leaf Fans:

I apologize for being a Leaf fan.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]On Behalf of all Leaf Fans: I apologize for being a Leaf fan.
    Posted by LoveRealHockey[/QUOTE]

On behalf of all Leaf fans:

I apologize for living amongst you and being a Bruins fan who enjoyed watching his team win the Stanley cup.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Well, the draft lottery didn't help them out and they are still picking 5th so it will be interesting to see what Burke does here.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Well, the draft lottery didn't help them out and they are still picking 5th so it will be interesting to see what Burke does here.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    The blowhard couldn't resist bragging that they've got the most 1st round picks in reply to questions of whether he overpaid to get Kessel. Maybe Burke still hasn't got a good feel for what Canadians are like but I can guarantee he'd be better received if he just admitted that he made a mistake when judging the Leafs ability to compete. I mean, if the Leafs finish just 4 spots higher each year and we're probably not having this discussion. Instead though, his ego can't allow him to admit he's ever made a mistake. Many folks are now happy to see him fail, simply because he's a jerk. That's the camp I'm in anyway.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans : The blowhard couldn't resist bragging that they've got the most 1st round picks in reply to questions of whether he overpaid to get Kessel. Maybe Burke still hasn't got a good feel for what Canadians are like but I can guarantee he'd be better received if he just admitted that he made a mistake when judging the Leafs ability to compete. I mean, if the Leafs finish just 4 spots higher each year and we're probably not having this discussion. Instead though, his ego can't allow him to admit he's ever made a mistake. Many folks are now happy to see him fail, simply because he's a jerk. That's the camp I'm in anyway.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Yep. Very true. He has a severe problem now. A team that obviously can't compete and now a damaged public image. Nor can he really go into an intense "rebuild through the draft" cycle as it is already, what, 5 years into his reign? Plus his cap problems and a bunch of junk players that would be hard to unload. I think he trades the #5 pick for another proven player. The draft can't save him now.

By the way, think of how interesting the team may have been had they decided to build through the draft instead of going full steam ahead with Kessel et. al.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans : Yep. Very true. He has a severe problem now. A team that obviously can't compete and now a damaged public image. Nor can he really go into an intense "rebuild through the draft" cycle as it is already, what, 5 years into his reign? Plus his cap problems and a bunch of junk players that would be hard to unload. I think he trades the #5 pick for another proven player. The draft can't save him now. By the way, think of how interesting the team may have been had they decided to build through the draft instead of going full steam ahead with Kessel et. al.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    The snag there is that it would've taken patience and a willingness to start over. Neither Burke nor the Leafs faithful were capable of pulling that off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leaf Players Write Apology Letter to Fans : The snag there is that it would've taken patience and a willingness to start over. Neither Burke nor the Leafs faithful were capable of pulling that off.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

That's right Dez. And they still aren't. There are voices already to trade the pick they have for some kind of package for Nash. Dumb.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a place other than Toronto with the Leafs where the lead-hand was not let go after years of mediocrity.  Burke put this team together although in the quote below it sounds like Burke deferred to coach Wilson regarding the roster.

“The one place where Ron Wilson and I were not on the same page was that central issue, is how we play the game, what type of player. I like to dictate how to play. I don’t like to have it dictated to me. … When we got the team in place and it did win, everything was fine. No one was screaming for the coach’s head in January or February. It took a rapid turn and we made the change. You react to what happens.”  So who was running the show?