Leafs Fire Burke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

Leafs Fire Burke

According to Hockey Central on Sportsnet, the Leafs have fired Brian Burke.  I'm kind of shocked at the timing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Leafs Fire Burke

10 minutes ago

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Toronto Maple Leafs have apparently fired Brian Burke as general manager. Working on official confirmations.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

the timing is surprising, but he was bad at his job.

and it's confirmed

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413146

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Too much truculence, testosterone, belligerence and tenacity. Too bad it didn't come from his hockey team or he might still have a job.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

And Leaf fans rejoice! Now they can start clamoring for a Canadian born GM. Gotta start reading the comment section of TSN lol

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Even considering his record I am shocked.  Hopefully someone picks him up soon so he can continue to stock pile to Bruins system.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wow, why do it now? One would think they would be scrambling as it is to start the season, hoping to get off to a fast start and take advantage of the short season...Not muddy the waters by firing the G.M.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Maybe they wanted to for a while, but needed to wait for the lockout to end.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to red75's comment:

Even this is hard, though. GMs need to get the machine running, teams into camp, deal with financial realities of the new CBA as an immediate impact on the ice. I'm surprised they didn't get games started, then do the firing in time for trade deadlines. Right now, all teams are scrambling and this could honestly have a negative impact on the team's start. Where does Carlyle go when player eval in training camps leads to moves that need to be made?

Not that I really care, but they better have someone waiting in the wings ready to hit the ground this weekend.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, why do it now? One would think they would be scrambling as it is to start the season, hoping to get off to a fast start and take advantage of the short season...Not muddy the waters by firing the G.M.

[/QUOTE]

I think Burkes right hand man Nonis is still there so they're not in that bad a pickle. Plus you have to remember the Leafs are a bad team so nothing will really change. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I have been reading a few tweets from various media outlets that saying it was for a non-hockey related issue.  Red, couldnt they have fired him before the end of the lockout or were the owners locking out the GMs as well...Im not really sure how it worked when it comes to team staff/management.  And technically the lockout is still ongoing until the new CBA gets ratified...Correct?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

A stretch here...but I wonder if there was also friction in terms of goaltending rosters behind all this.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The only way this makes sense is if Nonis is promoted to GM.  Otherwise, the Leafs will be so far behind in the mad scramble to prepare for the season, this year will essentially be a write off.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Might make sense if not hockey related, otherwise, it seems to put the whole organization into a scramble.

With a hot start like last year there would have been a fair to decent chance they could have made the post-season, that would make it hard for them to fire him later.

Something tells me there is a good story behind this.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

The only way this makes sense is if Nonis is promoted to GM.  Otherwise, the Leafs will be so far behind in the mad scramble to prepare for the season, this year will essentially be a write off.

That was my first reaction that ownership is going to start from scratch this summer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Scratch what I said about this being planned for a while - something must have happened this morning - Burke flew out to NY this morning to represent the Leafs at the BOG meeting. They sent him to the meeting and then he's fired when he's in NYC getting ready for it. Very odd. Also Mike Richards at TSN is reporting it's Nonis as interim.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And Leaf fans rejoice! Now they can start clamoring for a Canadian born GM. Gotta start reading the comment section of TSN lol

[/QUOTE]

Having a crummy day, saving the TSN comments section for a day-brightener. I'm sure they're coming out of the woodwork. :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Having a crummy day, saving the TSN comments section for a day-brightener. I'm sure they're coming out of the woodwork. :)

[/QUOTE]
    Best comment I've seen there so far...

"This is a huge blow to the Bruins organization."

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Red, you should have put in <Spoiler Alert!>

Very funny stuff.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Very nice.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

The NHL has it's new commish! You heard from it me first....lol

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Olsonic. Show Olsonic's posts

supposedly this had something to do with Luongo. I can't understand why burke would not want roberto luongo, especially since the new CBA would allow Vanc to absorb some money.

Luongo, in my opinion, does not deserve his reputation as a bad-goaltender.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Now Burke can go to another organization to help the Bruins"

I think this was another, just good stuff lol