Leafs Fire Burke

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1punchknockout. Show 1punchknockout's posts

Re: Leafs Fire Burke

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The NHL has it's new commish! You heard from it me first....lol

[/QUOTE]

Quite possible. Will we hear shortly that Bettman also got the boot???

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Olsonic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

supposedly this had something to do with Luongo. I can't understand why burke would not want roberto luongo, especially since the new CBA would allow Vanc to absorb some money.

Luongo, in my opinion, does not deserve his reputation as a bad-goaltender.

[/QUOTE]

He is just prone to huge blowouts in the playoffs, otherwise he seems to be a dependable goalie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm dying to find out what this non-hockey related issue was.

Did he get juiced on the plane and assault a stewardess or something?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

supposedly this had something to do with Luongo. I can't understand why burke would not want roberto luongo, especially since the new CBA would allow Vanc to absorb some money.

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's a bad goalie either, but he's not a pressure goalie which for some translates into being a bad goalie.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Listening to the press conference, according to TAnselmi this has been going on in the works and in discussions all the way back to August when the sale was finalized. It's not one thing according to the conference, but rather a move in the planning looking forward. Nonis is the full-time GM, not the interim, so I don't see how they're going to change that much. Nonis is also saying that the team has to be built to fit Carlyle's style, that's the type of team they want so they will be looking for the parts to fit Carlyle, rather than getting a new coach to fit what they currently have. They say they're not rebuilding, just trying to slowly and patiently improve.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to 1punchknockout's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The NHL has it's new commish! You heard from it me first....lol

[/QUOTE]

Quite possible. Will we hear shortly that Bettman also got the boot???

[/QUOTE]

I'd be more than happy about the last bit, but as for the first part, let's hope not -- the last thing the league needs is yet another arrogant, hard-ass commish.  And besides, if this move was in the works, Burke wouldn't be fired first, then be appointed commish.  The NHL would have its presser first, and would have MLSE at the table making a joint announcement.

Unless, the League had opened discussions with Burke (in which case, probably violating its own anti-tampering rules), MLSE gets wind of same, and fires Burke on the spot (for "disloyalty"?).  Seems like an unlikely scenario, though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE]In response to Olsonic's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] I don't think he's a bad goalie either, but he's not a pressure goalie which for some translates into being a bad goalie.[/QUOTE]

As a GM and a coach though do you always need a Schnieder as a backup during the playoffs ?

If you are getting paid like that aren't you supposed to be a go to guy to lead the team during pressure times ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Forgot how much i hate the canucks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think he's a bad goalie either, but he's not a pressure goalie which for some translates into being a bad goalie.

[/QUOTE]

Not to re-live the whole Luongo thing, I don't think he's a bad goalie either. certainly better than anything Toronto has, but I would hesitate to say he chokes in pressure situatuions..He lost the finals in a 7 game series which he had two shutouts..He also has an olympic gold on his resume. The fact that they lost that series has as much to do with his team as does him, same thing with Tuuka versus Philadelphia...What makes Luongo the convenient goat of that series was his idiotic comments duriong the series...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to seobrien's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

And Leaf fans rejoice! Now they can start clamoring for a Canadian born GM. Gotta start reading the comment section of TSN lol

[/QUOTE]

Having a crummy day, saving the TSN comments section for a day-brightener. I'm sure they're coming out of the woodwork. :)

[/QUOTE]
    Best comment I've seen there so far...

"This is a huge blow to the Bruins organization."

[/QUOTE]

That's pretty funny

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not to re-live the whole Luongo thing, I don't think he's a bad goalie either. certainly better than anything Toronto has, but I would hesitate to say he chokes in pressure situatuions..He lost the finals in a 7 game series which he had two shutouts..He also has an olympic gold on his resume. The fact that they lost that series has as much to do with his team as does him, same thing with Tuuka versus Philadelphia...What makes Luongo the convenient goat of that series was his idiotic comments duriong the series...

[/QUOTE]

Plus the fact that he had 16 goals against in 3 games in Boston.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'll miss the shots of Burke every time Seguin would score a goal against Toronto.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Heh, every third post over at TSN on this is a Bruins joke now.

and i knew Burke was bad, but I didn't realize just how bad. According to TSN these were the Leafs rankings during his tenure.

• GA/Game:3.19 -- 30th
    • Penalty Kill:76.1% -- 30th
    • GF/Game:2.71 -- 14th
    • Power Play: 16.3% -- 26th

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Sounds like something prompted the firing today. Fact is, he deserved to get the boot about a year ago or so. Let's hope he ends up back in Vancouver!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

In response to DrCC's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'll miss the shots of Burke every time Seguin would score a goal against Toronto.

[/QUOTE]

At least we will still have the "Thank you Kessel" chant

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

And we can say this season after Hamilton scores his first against the Laffs.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

His biggest crime was loyalty to Ron Wilson.

He got fleeced on Kessel because his team, especially in goal, was far worse than he thought, including Kessel.  That's the sweetest part of that story - Kessel just manages 30 goals and 55 points to lead the Laffs; the mixed bag of retreads and rookies don't pan out; Toskala, who was supposed to be a quality netminder coming off of a down year puts up an even worse year; and the best deal he could make was to ship assorted used parts to Calgary for Phaneuf.  If the Bruins get Brandon Gormley, Devante Smith-Pelly, and Mark McNeill, no one in Toronto is crying over the combined 13 points in 49 games vs. four years of Kessel.  In three years, Gormley might be a rock for somebody, McNeill might be an emerging power forward, and Smith-Pelly might be a top two-way player, but they won't be dragging anyone out of their seats.  For the Bruins to get a high-profile scoring star who goes directly to the NHL, an OHL Defenseman of the year and two-time WJHC player, plus Knight...that's a lot, and it's highly visible.

I like a lot of things about Burke, and I can't fault the way he approaches the job - be aggressive, don't be afraid to make the big move and pay the price.  But part of that is taking the hit when it doesn't work.  He's taking the hit now.

As for this being a terrible blow to the Bruins - that's what they said when JF Jr. was canned.  I have faith that the Leafs will hire another GM willing to trade high quality young players to the Bruins for cheese.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

Just read that NYI may be interested in Burke's services.  Won't be long before we get 2 high first round pics and a second for Krejci.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Blog says he's staying with the club as Sr. Advisor a la Sinden.  So we'll still see him pucker every time the Bruins pound the Laffs.

Wonder if Chiarelli's sending him a consolatory cookie bouquet....

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes, where he allowed the bad tying goal that forced OT to begin with & never faced another decent shot after that. Don't forget, he also got pulled in that Chicago series after the Nuks were up 3-0 in the series. Corey lost his start too & nothing shows that he's going to be any better in a pressure situation, but Booby Lu has shown to crack more under pressure than thrive. I think he'll have another chance to prove he's a gamer, but until that time comes he'll have to live with the "shitethebed" label. Btw- Rask still hasn't proven anything to me yet either. He hasn't shown to be a pressure goalie. So, us as Bruin fans better becareful with what we say about what goalie, because Rask still isn't out of the woods. So far all we know is that he's a great goalie when he's on, but can't steal one game out of four. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I understand the idea of not bringing in someone from outside the Leaf organization to fill the GM role especially with the start of the season around the corner.  Nonis has worked with Burke for years.  Presumably sharing the same hockey philosophies in Vancouver and with the Leafs.  Wouldn't that suggest the team might be getting more of the same or at least similar direction from Nonis?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I understand the idea of not bringing in someone from outside the Leaf organization to fill the GM role especially with the start of the season around the corner.  Nonis has worked with Burke for years.  Presumably sharing the same hockey philosophies in Vancouver and with the Leafs.  Wouldn't that suggest the team might be getting more of the same or at least similar direction from Nonis?

[/QUOTE]

Just heard an interview on the fan590 with one of the 3 suits in the room ( Tom Anselmi )when Burke was fired.  

He didn't come straight out and say it but in a roundabout way he mentioned that the new board didn't think they could have a long term association with BB hinting on Burke's personality as the reason. Nonis ? Same hockey philosophies as Burke but without the noise. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

I like Bad Hab's "Brian Cashman" theory.  Brian Burke sitting next to the girlie?

Everything You Need To Know About Brian Cashman's Mistress/Alleged Stalker (And Her Abortion Claim)

Nonetheless, Red's statistics read perfectly.  Burke will not be unemployed long imo, his tenure was as Leaf's GM was a failure.  I do believe he has hockey IQ to be successful elsewhere.   I hope the Commish banter is pure speculation.....yet Bettman needs to go.   As for the question of hurting the Leafs, ahhh their team preparation would not overcome the lack of skill.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Ken Dryden for Commish!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

"Now Burke can go to another organization to help the Bruins"

I think this was another, just good stuff lol

[/QUOTE]

That's a good one. My personal favorite was "This is a huge blow to the Bruins organization."