1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Leafs Ready to Contend?

From Wilson's mouth:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/04/11/wilson_contending/

Talk about delusional.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Re: Leafs Ready to Contend?

In Response to Leafs Ready to Contend?:
    [QUOTE]From Wilson's mouth: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/04/11/wilson_contending/ Talk about delusional.....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    Only 2 or 3 pieces away from contending for a championship?Maybe if those pieces are Crosby,Ovechkin and Weber.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Well, the league is set up to do this kind of stuff, how long ago was it that the Flyers finished last?  2006-2007.

Having said that, Wilson and all these people who say the Leafs will be a playoff team next year seem to be in denial that it was Reimer who made this team.

In the season closer vs. the Habs, there were a ridiculous number of breakaways on him.

Make no mistake that if your typical somewhat above average mutt was in the crease, that leafs team would have about 8 more losses.

Don't get too impressed by all that intensity they bring, because the puck is buttoned down in their own end way too much of the time and give up too much defensively.

Reimer shows this form next year, they are in the playoffs.

If he doesn't, they are down in the slums again.

FA market?  Big #1 center?  Brad Richards, right?  I don't know about if they can get him, even if they do, I thought he could have led them past the Wild yesterday.  I'd be a bit disappointed if I were a Stars fan.  What more could you wish for but to be in control of your own playoff future and be facing the Wild?? 

Reimer - he is holding the franchise up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Yes they are ready to contend for the 8th seed in the East next year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Even that may be a stretch next year SanDog. A good run starting in January when a team is almost already out of contention does not equate to success for a full year.

I am sure BB is planning his next "genious" step. Probaly a break the bank type of UFA signing or RFA steal then the process can start all over again...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

The Leafs arent that far off.
    If Reimer can play as good as this year they will be in the 8th spot.  
    They likely add a quality backup.
    If they can land Richards(and they do have the money to outbid anyone) they will have a decent top line.  Secondary scoring isnt bad and I actually like their back end.
    They also have draft picks that they can deal off for a center.  

I think the Leafs played great this year.  They fell short but will continue to get better.  
    Backup Goalie/#1 center/depth dman

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Leafs Ready to Contend?:
    [QUOTE]The Leafs arent that far off. If Reimer can play as good as this year they will be in the 8th spot.   They likely add a quality backup. If they can land Richards(and they do have the money to outbid anyone) they will have a decent top line.  Secondary scoring isnt bad and I actually like their back end. They also have draft picks that they can deal off for a center.   I think the Leafs played great this year.  They fell short but will continue to get better.   Backup Goalie/#1 center/depth dman
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I think they'll fail when facing raised expetations.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalBlackNGold. Show LoyalBlackNGold's posts

[QUOTE]The Leafs arent that far off. If Reimer can play as good as this year they will be in the 8th spot.   They likely add a quality backup. If they can land Richards(and they do have the money to outbid anyone) they will have a decent top line.  Secondary scoring isnt bad and I actually like their back end. They also have draft picks that they can deal off for a center.   I think the Leafs played great this year.  They fell short but will continue to get better.   Backup Goalie/#1 center/depth dman
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    shupe u buy into the people up there talking about how the defense for the maple leafs getting considerably better when they shipped an offensive defenseman out of town? which in turn lead to a better record and shot at 8th spot in playoff hunt. i wont say which defenseman but it kind of sounds like TOMAS KABERLE!!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I just think the goalie played great.  I also think Schenn and Dion started pulling their weight big time.  They have some sandpapaer back there mixed in with youth. I think they are getting better.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Leafs D shouldn't impress anyone. I agree with BadHab. The breakways, usually started by the $6.5M man Celine Dion. They have Komisarek and Lashoff don't forget... Didn't they lead the league in turnovers.... It's amzing Reimer wasn't burnt out from all the rubber he saw since Feb. That is not a playoff Defense...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

The way I look at it is; but which teams spot will they take?

Buffalo with their new owner is going to have a refreshing and positive atmosphere.  They have some pretty good young guys that should only be better next year and they get arguably their best forward back after missing most of the year.  I see the Sabres being better. 

The Rangers are really becoming a solid group together.  They appear to be a piece or two away from being at the top of the conference.  They're as gritty as any team in the league, and Lungquist is as good as any goalie.

Oh, and considering how the devils played during the second half of the year, coupled with Parise returning, New Jersey will be back in the playoff picture.  So who falls out of the top eight next year to allow room for Toronto? 

I say no way, not next year.. Their picks and other young guys will need at least another year of development to help the team contend for a playoff spot, and even then it will be at the bottom 1 or 2 spots.

They will still be too weak down the middle.  Reimer will now have all the scouting reports out there on him.  If he struggles a little, he will soon find out why so many young goalies take a full year or two to get back to that level.   The leafs only started playing good when all of the media pressure and possible playoff expectations were gone. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Neely07708. Show Neely07708's posts

oh... looks like others think that the leafs suck.. and will continue to do so..

http://sports.ca.msn.com/nhl/photos/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=28246475

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from OrrandPapiRGods. Show OrrandPapiRGods's posts

In Response to Leafs Ready to Contend?:
    [QUOTE]From Wilson's mouth: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/04/11/wilson_contending/ Talk about delusional.....
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Ya, Wilson you're only 2 or 3 players away from contending. What you fail to mention is that the 3 are named Orr, Gretzky and Messier

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Wilson and Burke............the saviours of TML's. NOT!

Only kudo's all give is to their loyal fans. 6 yrs. without a playoff appearance and they are still selling out their arena.

Whenever I get a little miffed with the B's org., I just think about the Leafs for a moment and I feel much better. :-)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoveRealHockey. Show LoveRealHockey's posts

2-3 players away from the Cup?  I don't think so.

However, they will contend for a playoff spot next year in my opinion, from someone that has seen just about every game this year (including all 6 games where the Leafs took 4 out of 6 from my friends here in Boston)
    1. Goaltending is so much better.  Where would the Bruins be without Thomas or Rask?  Reimer may have a sophmore jink, but he has been good at all levels of hockey so I don't think he's a flash in the pan.  Gustovsson, I'm not as confident, but the Leafs have good goaltending depth in the minors.
    2. Solid core is young and getting better (Schenn, Aulie, Gunnerson, Kulemin, Kessel, Grabovski, Reimer, Gustovsson (backup), Bozak (sophomore slump this year), Brent, Armstrong).  Add Kadri to that mix next year.  2 players that had 30 goal seasons and Kulemin missed by 1 goal.  Lupal was a great pickup.  Kessel had 64 points (32 and 32) which would have been tops on the Bruins again - 2 years in a row.......though Badhad would appreciate that stat)
    3. Resurgent Phaneuf (say what you will but his offensive stats were very good after all-star game).  He and Schenn were very good
    4. Ton of cap room to make deals

5. 2 late 1st rounders and at least 1 high 2nd rounder that can be packaged to move up the draft or build more depth in the organization.

6. Alot of talent in the minors.  Some key guys as close as a couple of years away; Gardiner, McKregg, Blacker, Colborne, Brad Ross to name a few.  Scouts have done a good job restocking an empty shelf.  Burke has assembled a very good management team and scouting staff (both glaring weaknesses on the Leafs for many many years)
    7. Proved they can play with the good teams, they beat Buffalo twice down the stretch (and they were hot!), Bruins (twice), Philly, Pittsburg, Washington, Montreal.  They had one of the better records since the All-star break and were competitive overall most games.

All teams will improve next year, so it's not a slam-dunk.  But this team is going in the right direction

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

I believe the Leafs are ready to contend.  Starts at the top, and Burke and Wilson are a good combo.  Personally I wish they were running and coaching the Bruins.  As far as the team is concerned they are one impact scorer (Richards) away from being a solid playoff team.  With Kessel, Grab, Kul, they got three 30 goal guys.  Lupul, McAurther, are two 20 goal guys now they need the young guys such as Kadri, Bozak, and others mentioned in this post to develop.  The defense and goaltending the last half year were playoff worthy.  The B's should feel fortunate they are getting a top 10 pick this year because barring major injury etc. the Leafs will not be drafting in the top 10 next year.  The best B's fans can hope for is Richards signs elsewhere or otherwise...    

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

i'm afraid ron wilson is right.  they are only missing 2 or 3 pieces to be a contender.  if you'd add crosby, toews and stamkos they'd be right up there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

Personally, I think Kadri and Kessel look fabulous; but this team is a number one center and a #1 defensemen away from being legit.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

They'll get Richards along with other players and will be a good team next year.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

[QUOTE]Leafs are faster than the Bruins. Leafs goaltending now just as good at the Bruins. Leafs fight better than the Bruins (see Lucic quitting in fight with Orr). Leafs have better prospects than the Bruins now do- thanks to Burke robbing DUMBell Chiarelli in the Kaberle trade. Leafs WILL win CUP before the Bruins!
    Posted by cactusTony[/QUOTE]

you forgot burke has better hair than pc.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Leafs are faster than the Bruins. Leafs goaltending now just as good at the Bruins. Leafs fight better than the Bruins (see Lucic quitting in fight with Orr). Leafs have better prospects than the Bruins now do- thanks to Burke robbing DUMBell Chiarelli in the Kaberle trade. Leafs WILL win CUP before the Bruins!

Oilers will win Cup before Leafs.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Leafs goaltending now just as good? -Reimer, weak glove and "the Monster" don't scare anyone.
    Better prospects??--Kadri,Aulie,Bozak,Caputi and Gardiner are not even close
    to Seguin,Spooner,Knight and Caron.

Komiserek=terrible, how many more years on that contract? Better off calling up Jeff Finger.
    Phaneuf= Who would have thought Aulie was the best d-man in that trade?
    Rosehill= got a beat down from Lucic, can't score or fight.
    Schenn=stay at home d-man doesn't know where he lives.Brother got all the talent.
    Kessel=good player,good scorer, gotta do something when your minus twenty+.
    Grabovski=good player, soft as two ply, but a good player, took diving lessons in Montreal.
    Lupul= good player, hasn't played  30 games in each of the last 3 years.I'm sure he's great in the hot tub.
    Kulemin= your best forward. when he's your best forward, your in trouble.
    Brown=who?
    Boyce= see Mike Brown.

Your G.M overpaid for Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf. He literally overpaid for Komiserek,Giguere and he did re stock on draft picks for the weakest draft in years.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Ready to Contend? : Leafs goaltending now just as good? -Reimer, weak glove and "the Monster" don't scare anyone. Better prospects??--Kadri,Aulie,Bozak,Caputi and Gardiner are not even close to Seguin,Spooner,Knight and Caron. Komiserek=terrible, how many more years on that contract? Better off calling up Jeff Finger. Phaneuf= Who would have thought Aulie was the best d-man in that trade? Rosehill= got a beat down from Lucic, can't score or fight. Schenn=stay at home d-man doesn't know where he lives.Brother got all the talent. Kessel=good player,good scorer, gotta do something when your minus twenty+. Grabovski=good player, soft as two ply, but a good player, took diving lessons in Montreal. Lupul= good player, hasn't played  30 games in each of the last 3 years.I'm sure he's great in the hot tub. Kulemin= your best forward. when he's your best forward, your in trouble. Brown=who? Boyce= see Mike Brown. Your G.M overpaid for Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf. He literally overpaid for Komiserek,Giguere and he did re stock on draft picks for the weakest draft in years.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call Grabovski soft, Chara nearly knocked him out and he came back to score the game winner against the Bruins, I think he's better than Kulemin.

Other than that, I agree.

Biggest piece of the  puzzle is Reimer.  The Leafs fortunes rest entirely on him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Leafs Ready to Contend? : Leafs goaltending now just as good? -Reimer, weak glove and "the Monster" don't scare anyone. Better prospects??--Kadri,Aulie,Bozak,Caputi and Gardiner are not even close to Seguin,Spooner,Knight and Caron. Komiserek=terrible, how many more years on that contract? Better off calling up Jeff Finger. Phaneuf= Who would have thought Aulie was the best d-man in that trade? Rosehill= got a beat down from Lucic, can't score or fight. Schenn=stay at home d-man doesn't know where he lives.Brother got all the talent. Kessel=good player,good scorer, gotta do something when your minus twenty+. Grabovski=good player, soft as two ply, but a good player, took diving lessons in Montreal. Lupul= good player, hasn't played  30 games in each of the last 3 years.I'm sure he's great in the hot tub. Kulemin= your best forward. when he's your best forward, your in trouble. Brown=who? Boyce= see Mike Brown. Your G.M overpaid for Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf. He literally overpaid for Komiserek,Giguere and he did re stock on draft picks for the weakest draft in years.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I agree with some and disagree with others.
    I hate Dion for starters but he is still very young in terms of dmen and the length it can take them to find their game.  He is risky.  But he plays with heart and in my eyes gets better.  He has world class talent.  Someone will teach him and he will be a top end dman for yrs.  Again.  I can't stand his smug attitude and I just generally dislike the guy.  But if you look into history a guy named Scott Stevens didnt fully mature until he left Washington.  Stevens is one of my all time favorites. 
    Schenn- did you take a peek at his stats before you ripped him? 251 hits dwarfs any Bruin, 162 Blocked Shots.  Played 82 games. Basically a kid. Also made the NHL in his 1st year. He may not have the offensive upside of his younger brother but I would take the older brother if I was starting a team and had to choose one or the other.
    There D as a core is all under 26. All look pretty solid. Not great, but time is the key for dmen.
    Up front they have about 6 scabs they need to get rid of.  But again, no guys are really old and over the hill.  I don't like the soft fwds they have but as a group they have more goal scoring abilty in terms of skill.  Yes I realize we had a bunch of guys with 20 plus goals.  They nearly had 3 30 goal scorers and Lupol was scoring on a frequent rate as well. 

I think there is a lot to like about that team.  if I were a leaf fan I would say the future is bright. 
    1. Lots of young talented dmen
    2. Young goalie who played amazing
    3. Young fwds with offensive upside
    4. Some decent picks this year(which could be traded).
    5. Cap space up the wazoo.

Better future than last year this time.