Leaky Lou bless him!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Leaky Lou bless him!

Looks like Lou sat on a tack...

(NHL Video)

Umm Lou "underneath you!"...

Canucks give up worst shorthanded own-goal of all-time vs. Canadiens (Video)

I can just watch this over and over

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/?id=458450

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Re: Leaky Lou bless him!

comment: "that was no one's fault"

BS!

Isn't the goalie always supposed to keep track of the puck?

goalies respond please, but you will be discredited if you are revealed to be a hard core card carrying member of the goalie union.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

Hear the roar of the crowd?! I had to double-check where the game was being played. IN Vancouver?!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

BS!

goalies respond please, but you will be discredited if you are revealed to be a hard core card carrying member of the goalie union.

[/QUOTE]
    BH, I agree it's BS that it's no one's fault, but I disagree it's on Lou - that's completely on Hamhuis, for not properly controlling the puck, and Kesler for doing absolutely NOTHING when Hamhuis lost it (talk about zero, lazy effort) and it went into the danger zone of the crease. Lou did his job by feeding it to hus D, he was still positioning himself back in the net.

I don't put any fault on Lou there - but Hamhuis and Kesler seriously screwed up. Maybe the goalies here will disagree with me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

BH, I agree it's BS that it's no one's fault, but I disagree it's on Lou - that's completely on Hamhuis, for not properly controlling the puck, and Kesler for doing absolutely NOTHING when Hamhuis lost it (talk about zero, lazy effort) and it went into the danger zone of the crease. Lou did his job by feeding it to hus D, he was still positioning himself back in the net.

I don't put any fault on Lou there - but Hamhuis and Kesler seriously screwed up. Maybe the goalies here will disagree with me.

[/QUOTE]

I play d and maybe more experienced players can chime in on this, but I actually give thought to quick verbal commands to give goalies. sounds like dog training, but a few that communicate quickly and efficiently are:

sit 

stay

hold it

freeze

play it

behind (for when I want them to push the puck behind the net)

and those are the basics, maybe my goalies know me, but they obey and things by and large work out OK.

I would think they would do this better in pro hockey, the quick commands I can't work out is when the puck pops up and I say "up" but they don't know where to look "up", left right or center, and the problem is I can't think of a command to say quick enough before it's useless no way you can say "puck popped up over your left shoulder" fast enough.  Hmm.  Just thought of "blocker high" or "glove high", maybe that might work...

Lost on quick commands to point them to loose pucks.

Also, someone ought to work out the full dictionary of quick terms to use, some are confusing, for example, guys yell:

"behind!" is there a guy coming up behind you, or is it an instruction to put the puck behind the net?

For offsides I yell "wait", and for onsides I yell "go".  I hate it when guys use a negative, "don't go" - all it takes is a little bit of noise in the building and you might miss the "don't".  I like one word commands.

Love to hear some experienced players chime in on this.

Oh.  And on opposing goalies if they have gloved it I yell "drop it" and if they are vulnerable I yell "leave it", experienced goalies will usually laught at me or think I'm an idiot or both, but it has worked a couple of times.  I also have yelled "drop it"  and "drop it you fing hun" when I'm chasing guys on a breakaway, it's only worked a handful of times, but when it does it's funny and awesome.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

BS!

[/QUOTE]

Yes BadHab you are correct. A goalie is supposed to always keep track of the puck, but there's a thing called "re-adjust & re-focus". The game moves pretty fast & there are times that a goalie's mind in moving 100mph in different directions for minutes at a time. When there's a lull in the play, or when you feel your team has full possession of the puck. This is the goalie's time to re-adjust & re-focus. Eliminate everything that has just happened & get ready for what is to come. I think this was just a case of 3 different players all re-adjusting & re-focusing all at the sametime, but they weren't staying focused at the task at hand. Just bad-timing & bad luck. I seriously don't really blame anyone, because it can happen to anyone. I'm happy it happened against the Cannot's! But, I feel bad for Lu on this one. Not because he's a goalie, but because he's under so much BS as it is. This just adds fuel to all the Luongo haters out there.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I play d and maybe more experienced players can chime in on this, but I actually give thought to quick verbal commands to give goalies. sounds like dog training, but a few that communicate quickly and efficiently are:

sit 

stay

hold it

freeze

play it

behind (for when I want them to push the puck behind the net)

and those are the basics, maybe my goalies know me, but they obey and things by and large work out OK.

I would think they would do this better in pro hockey, the quick commands I can't work out is when the puck pops up and I say "up" but they don't know where to look "up", left right or center, and the problem is I can't think of a command to say quick enough before it's useless no way you can say "puck popped up over your left shoulder" fast enough.  Hmm.  Just thought of "blocker high" or "glove high", maybe that might work...

Lost on quick commands to point them to loose pucks.

Also, someone ought to work out the full dictionary of quick terms to use, some are confusing, for example, guys yell:

"behind!" is there a guy coming up behind you, or is it an instruction to put the puck behind the net?

For offsides I yell "wait", and for onsides I yell "go".  I hate it when guys use a negative, "don't go" - all it takes is a little bit of noise in the building and you might miss the "don't".  I like one word commands.

Love to hear some experienced players chime in on this.

Oh.  And on opposing goalies if they have gloved it I yell "drop it" and if they are vulnerable I yell "leave it", experienced goalies will usually laught at me or think I'm an idiot or both, but it has worked a couple of times.  I also have yelled "drop it"  and "drop it you fing hun" when I'm chasing guys on a breakaway, it's only worked a handful of times, but when it does it's funny and awesome.

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with everything you just said, as a D myself I've done the same thing for years.

But I don't think that came into play here at all - maybe Hamhuis yelled, maybe Lou idn't react in time, but none of that excuses Kesler lazily coasting by and not even tracking the puck that went right in front of his feet and into the net. I get your point, so maybe Lou does share more responsibility than I initially thought, but the more I watch the play, the more I blame it on Kesler being completely unengaged.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Hamhuis lost it in Garrison's skates but Loungo needs to know where the puck is.

I get a laugh at the Canuck's expense and the Vancouver fanbase keeps their love affair going with Bobby Lou. It's awesome!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Both are to fault here, but Nite is correct, usually when your player has the puck behind your net and no opposition is around it's a time to set, check out who is on the ice etc...From what I can tell is neither player told Luongo they lost control of the puck near the net.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

“I didn’t give it up so I don’t know what happened,” - Roberto Luongo.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

If there is a ranking of most brutal shorthanded goals this one should be on that list.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

One of the ugliest goals you will ever see.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats bad.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

If this is indeed an actual quote by Luie; he really needs to keep his mouth shut if this is the kind of response he's going to say. Personally, my response would've been. " I honestly don't know what happened. I didn't play the puck cleanly, because of the pressure from their player, but I thought we got a clean possession after that & started to re-focus out front. Next thing I know I felt the puck hit my feet. I heard Dan scream. "In your feet!" but by that time it was in our net. I should've paid more attention to what was actually happening there." 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats bad.

[/QUOTE]

Nothing like throwing your teamate under the bus.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE]

“I didn’t give it up so I don’t know what happened,” - Roberto Luongo.[/QUOTE]

Thats bad. [/QUOTE]

But what would you expect from Lou ?

Of course it is not his fault LoL

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to kelvana33's comment:[QUOTE]

“I didn’t give it up so I don’t know what happened,” - Roberto Luongo.[/QUOTE]

Thats bad. [/QUOTE]

But what would you expect from Lou ?

Of course it is not his fault LoL

[/QUOTE]

More bad goals to come, thats what.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats bad.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the quote is worse than the goal.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thats bad.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I think the quote is worse than the goal.

[/QUOTE]

Only to be topped by the infamous, "thats an easy save for me " quote from the SCF's, priceless. After that quote Ol' Leaky Lu let in 8 goals. He didn't have many more qoutes after that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

It's tough to stop watching that one! 

Imho, Lou is not completely blameless but it is a 1 in a million play. I would put the majority of the blame on the sloppy D play behind the net. What I am surprised with was Lou's lazy reaction to the puck hitting his left foot. You'd figure he would drop or get both feet off the ice and locate the puck when he feels it hit his foot.