Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies...

Well, this ought to generate some discussion just knowing some of the personalities on here.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/story/15685759/bruins-to-start-season-with-two-no1-goalies

The article starts off like this and goes from there.

BOSTON -- Tim Thomas won the Vezina Trophy, the Conn Smythe Trophy and the Stanley Cup last season -- everything he could, it seems, except the job as the Boston Bruins' No. 1 goalie.

"We have two No. 1s," Bruins coach Claude Julien said Tuesday as the team met with the media two days before it opens the season and its title defense.

Julien said he will start the season with Thomas and Tuukka Rask sharing time as the starter, but the coach left open the possibility that one would run off with the job as Thomas did last season with a dominating performance that earned him honors as the playoff MVP and the NHL's top goaltender.

"There are two goalies on the team, and we don't think of ourselves as No. 1 and No. 2," Thomas said. "If the team's on a roll and both goalies are winning, obviously you play both goalies."

Have fun everyone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

Re: Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies...

i agree with everything mentioned. knowing that their goaltending is so stong, can only help the team to play with confidence. it really is a great situation to be in, other teams WISH they had this "problem".  as we all know, in hockey, it all starts from the goal out.  great goaltending eliminates the pressure on the offense to have to score 5 goals a night. both goalies are capable of leading the team(and the league), and competing for PT should keep them both sharp. for evidence of just how important this is, look no further than the habs. their #2 could be a #3 or #4 in some oranizations(boston's for example). i think when people speak of the bruins depth, this is where it is most evident.  

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Wow. Hey I love Tuuka, but If I'm Timmy, I'm scratching my head wondering what the heck I need to do to go into a camp and be the No.1 goalie. I think we all agree Tuuka is just as capable of taking the job and running with it, but after the season Timmy put in last year I don't think declaring him the number 1 is too much too ask.

Is Chara still the number 1 defenseman? Or do we have to #1 d-men?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3957105. Show user_3957105's posts

Keeping his stars competitive rather than complacent.

Good for CJ!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

if i'm TT i'm realizing that a young talented goaltender is waiting in the wings to take my job should i not perform up to expectations. ride the hot hand clode! it's a nice luxury wouldn't you say? if TT puts together a couple solid starts, he'll play a few games in a row. just like last year. if he comes out on opening night and looks unimpressive, tuukka gets the saturday start( just like last season's first two games played out). where's the problem here? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ksp57. Show ksp57's posts

No problem here. I want active competition between the two goalies and let the best one out of the shoot start. I expect it to be Thomas for most of the season, but Thomas will play better knowing that Rask is waiting in the wings. If Julien doesn't approach things that way, we might wind up looking like the Canucks when LOLuongo faltered. Every time he did, Schneider came in and looked decent, but the stubborn fool coach kept throwing LOLuongo out there to be waxed. I don't expect Thomas to falter like that, but having Rask there is a good insurance policy in case he does.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Cj is level headed about everything, that's why I like him as a coach.  That and the best defensive strategy in the league.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

kelvana:  I completely agree.  Its either a strategical interview, or JC is more of a bonehead than I thought.  There is NO DOUBT, among ANYONE, who the number one goalie on this team is.  And actually, the more I think about it, the more this pisses me off.  What a joke.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In Response to Re: Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies...:
    [QUOTE]Cj is level headed about everything, that's why I like him as a coach.  That and the best defensive strategy in the league.
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

How many times was Julien fired on this board last year?

I've said this before, theres no doubt Thomas is the de facto #1 going into the season. Having one of, if not the best season by a goaltender will get you that, one would think, but should he lose game 1 I dont think it's written in stone Tukka will get the next start like last year when it was reversed. I think Thomas has a little more goodwill in the bank here. While I think it's a little crazy to suggest he will repeat last years performance but if he is inconsistent in his first 5-6 outings then you'll see Tuuka get an oppurtunity to run with it, and he just might if given the shot and I think thats what Julien is saying..Either way, i expect Rask to get more playing time this year no matter how TT plays.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Actually, CJ said that Seidenberg was arguably more valuable.  With Claude, everyone is equal. Team concept to the end.

In Response to Re: Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies...:
    [QUOTE]Wow. Hey I love Tuuka, but If I'm Timmy, I'm scratching my head wondering what the heck I need to do to go into a camp and be the No.1 goalie. I think we all agree Tuuka is just as capable of taking the job and running with it, but after the season Timmy put in last year I don't think declaring him the number 1 is too much too ask. Is Chara still the number 1 defenseman? Or do we have to #1 d-men?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Play if you win. I don't think many Bruin fans would care as long as the W's keep coming.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

This is good for CJ to say. There's not a more competitive player in the league than TT. Let him feel Rask beathing down his neck. It'll just make him better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

much ado about nothing...i love the clode stance. TT gets the initial nod, and we'll go from there. what's wrong with this? i don't get it? how does clode saying "tim thomas is our #1 goaltender, and tuukka rask is our #2 goaltender", have any effect on anything? i like the fact they will be competing for PT. the bruins could not be in a better situation. btw bigvig, ALL coaches' press conferences are "strategical interviews".

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]much ado about nothing...i love the clode stance. TT gets the initial nod, and we'll go from there. what's wrong with this? i don't get it? how does clode saying "tim thomas is our #1 goaltender, and tuukka rask is our #2 goaltender", have any effect on anything? i like the fact they will be competing for PT. the bruins could not be in a better situation. btw bigvig, ALL coaches' press conferences are "strategical interviews".
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

According to Badhab this is what Julien's strategical interviews look like.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Actually, CJ said that Seidenberg was arguably more valuable.  With Claude, everyone is equal. Team concept to the end. In Response to Re: Looks like Claude Julien is level-headed about his 2 goalies... :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

Not to start an argument here, but can you post the quote where CJ said Seidenberg was arguably more valuable than Chara?

And every coach at every level puts the team first, but every coach knows that not everyone is equal, because if that is true then why isn't Paille getting more power play time, or Horton killing penalties? Different players have different stengths, it's up to the coach to put them in the right situation, and every situation is different.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Kel, not sure if Julien said that about Seids overall, but he did say he was more valuable than Chara in the playoffs last year.

http://www.necn.com/10/02/11/Seidenberg-looking-to-build-on-last-year/landing_sports.html?blockID=570884&feedID=3352

“I think confidence-wise, especially after the playoffs he had last year, [Seidenberg’s playoff performance] has got to be something he builds on. To me, after Tim Thomas, he could have been the Conn Smythe winner,” said Julien. “He flew under the radar with a lot of people, but certainly not with us

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, I mean to type "in the playoff run".  Some players are better than others, but you need them all to win.  No one is saying they are all the same, but they will be treated the same. Paille isn't on the powerplay because he hasn't earned it by scoring goals.  If he was, CJ would give him the chance.  With CJ you earn it.  This applies to everyone, not just the goalies, but including the goalies. I wouldn't have it any other way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davecarr. Show davecarr's posts

Thomas is old and had a very short off season after an extremely demanding post season. He understands that he needs to be more rested to be as effective next post season. I have no doubt that TT doesn't feel slighted by this.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Wow. Hey I love Tuuka, but If I'm Timmy, I'm scratching my head wondering what the heck I need to do to go into a camp and be the No.1 goalie. I think we all agree Tuuka is just as capable of taking the job and running with it, but after the season Timmy put in last year I don't think declaring him the number 1 is too much too ask. Is Chara still the number 1 defenseman? Or do we have to #1 d-men?
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]
    Does Boston have another D that can play Norris-quality in his absence? When TT was hurt, Rask simply led the league in GAA and SP. Basically, he did absolutely all that could be done in TT's absence. TT played 82 games(reg. and playoffs) last year. I bet he's less caught up in being labelled #1 than we think. If TT has shown me anything over the past few seasons, it's that he's a team guy willing to do what it takes to give the team a better chance to succeed. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Play if you win. I don't think many Bruin fans would care as long as the W's keep coming.
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]
    Stuke, that's certainly the camp that I'm in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The one thing I do hope to see more from Rask, is toughness. Not saying he's soft at all. Just Thomas is probably the toughest goalie in the league. If Rask can learn to bring that part of Thomas's game into his own... wow.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Kel, not sure if Julien said that about Seids overall, but he did say he was more valuable than Chara in the playoffs last year. http://www.necn.com/10/02/11/Seidenberg-looking-to-build-on-last-year/landing_sports.html?blockID=570884&feedID=3352 “I think confidence-wise, especially after the playoffs he had last year, [Seidenberg’s playoff performance] has got to be something he builds on. To me, after Tim Thomas, he could have been the Conn Smythe winner,” said Julien. “He flew under the radar with a lot of people, but certainly not with us
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]
    You know Red, for all everyone goes on about how well Seids played in the post-season, I still didn't think he was anywhere near the value of Chara. I think the big difference is that Zee did exactly what was expected of him whereas Seids performed well beyond the expectations coming in........all perception.
    BTW, I really like Seids and feel his absence (more than DK's) was the reason the Bruins couldn't hold off Philly 2 seasons back.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]if i'm TT i'm realizing that a young talented goaltender is waiting in the wings to take my job should i not perform up to expectations. ride the hot hand clode! it's a nice luxury wouldn't you say? if TT puts together a couple solid starts, he'll play a few games in a row. just like last year. if he comes out on opening night and looks unimpressive, tuukka gets the saturday start( just like last season's first two games played out). where's the problem here? 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    I think Julie knows that TT plays better when there are 1. doubters and 2. when he has to step up his game.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

lol on the avatar