Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

Today, www.boston.com posted pictures of 18 of Boston’s “great" athletes who hold various records within their respective sport. Russell, Brady, Clemens and Bourque among others were depicted. Certainly, all are deserving.

Unfortunately, they forgot not only Boston's GREATEST ATHLETE but also the World’s GREATEST ATHLETE!! 

Robert Gordon Orr, sometimes called "Bobby", is not only Boston's Greatest Athlete as evidenced by winning the NESN Boston Greatest Athlete Sports Poll last summer but he is also the world's Greatest Athlete, period!!! Sorry, Tiger, you are not even close! 

Orr holds eight, straight Norris Trophies as the Best Defenseman in the NHL. He holds the single-season point record for NHL Defensemen (why didn't this get him posted in the article along with Bourque??).More importantly, long, long before there was the "Tiger Slam" there was the "Bobby Slam". In 1970, the year that "Superman" (Orr -- in the greatest Sports Photo in Boston history) flew through the air after scoring the game-winning goal on May 10, 1970 to win the Stanley Cup for the Boston Bruins, Orr was awarded the Norris Trophy for Best Defenseman, the Hart Trophy as Regular Season MVP, the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s LEADING scorer (remember he was a defenseman!) and the Conn Smythe trophy as the MVP in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Remember, Tiger’s Slam was accomplished over two seasons; Bobby accomplished his Slam all in one during the 1970 season.  

More importantly, what sets Bobby Orr completely apart from and ahead of ALL other great athletes is the sole fact that Bobby Orr completely changed how a MAJOR Competitive Sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, the PGA and Pro Soccer) are played. He did this SINGLE-Handedly and not only that but completely EXCELLED at the most rugged and fastest game on two feet. This is an INDISPUTABLE fact. Yet people keep wanting to say that Tiger Woods is somehow the world's greatest athlete. Woods excels at golf (occasionally -- when he isn't spitting ....) but he did nothing to "change" the game of golf! Not only did Bobby change the game back in the 60s but his effect is felt even today. You only have to look at Zdeno Chara, who owns the Hardest NHL shot and is a very aggressive, offensive-minded Defenseman and you see Orr's impact on the game. 

When Tiger Woods can sink a putt from 80 feet on the 18th green at Augusta with a 225 pound NHL Defenseman bearing down on him with 2 feet to go at approximately 20 MPH and still sink the putt, he might come close to the greatness of Bobby Orr. Remember one more thing, Orr doesn't have 100 women he's texting on his cell phone. 

They broke the mold when Bobby was born. If his knees had held out, Wayne Gretzky would still be playing trying to catch Bobby's records. 

Shame on you, www.boston.com, for forgetting a "native Son" who is not only Boston's Greatest Athlete but also the World's Greatest Athlete!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

Re: Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

Agreed but don't think you needed a post this long to get your point accross.  No offense.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dennis3feetwideman. Show dennis3feetwideman's posts

Re: Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com

Maybe they couldn't add him to the list because they needed the space for more pop ups or dumb rollover ads.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Where's the article? I couldn' find it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

Liked it, minus the fact you kept referring to Tiger. He changed the way golf was/is played. You won't see that unless you are a diehard fan. Golf comes first for me then hockey. I cannot stand Tiger Woods but he has done nothing but amazing things for the game of golf (minus his off course behavior which has nothing to do with it).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

In Response to Re: Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com:
    [QUOTE]Where's the article? I couldn' find it.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

try going to the www.boston.com site -- then to sports, then try inputting this to the search window exactly:  Major Records Held by Boston Athletes

That was the title I found this under

hope this helps.

J.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

In Response to Re: Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com:
    [QUOTE]Liked it, minus the fact you kept referring to Tiger. He changed the way golf was/is played. You won't see that unless you are a diehard fan. Golf comes first for me then hockey. I cannot stand Tiger Woods but he has done nothing but amazing things for the game of golf (minus his off course behavior which has nothing to do with it).
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Tiger to be sure has elevated golf unlike anything since the Palmer / Nicklaus rivalry was in full bloom. He has also shown the other golfers what conditioning can do for them in terms of length of drives etc .

It's true he's won what 14 majors now -- that is not an easy feat

but CHANGE the game -- nah I don't see it -- again other than length of drives and some occasional shots that make Number 1 on ESPN Top Ten he has not changed anything

I "screwed up" initially when I read this article and tried to discuss it --it originally landed on the Celtics page -- didn't mean for it to go there --I thought it would start it's own thread below the article

oooh were those Major Records Held by Boston Athletes Celts fans unimpressed and or mad  As I said Orr beat Russell out head to head in last yaer's NESN Boston Greatest Athlete Poll. Kudos to Russell getting the Medal of Freedom the other day -- Doubt Orr would be in line for that but I think he got something similar from the Canadian Govt / Prime Minister already

Jordan did not change the game itself -- he scored plenty for sure but it was the other teams that changed trying to adapt defenses to stop Jordan. This also happened to Orr.

One thing Jordan did not have was opposing players "running at his knees" like they did against Orr.

Orr ended up with more knee surgeries than Joe Namath

Luckily thanks to modern medicine Orr has had one or both knees "replaced" by surgery allowing him basically pain -free movement

He was using a cane and / or crutches at times post-retirement

regards

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

first things first....tiger woods is not an elite level athlete(he's a golfer!), and golf is not a sport. it's a game...like billiards, darts, target shooting, shall i go on? any "sport" that you need zero cardiovascular fitness, can smoke a cigarette, and eat a hot dog while DOING....is not a sport! i mean, the ball isn't even moving...and everyone has to be quiet? laughable

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

[QUOTE]first things first....tiger woods is not an elite level athlete(he's a golfer!), and golf is not a sport. it's a game...like billiards, darts, target shooting, shall i go on? any "sport" that you need zero cardiovascular fitness, can smoke a cigarette, and eat a hot dog while DOING....is not a sport! i mean, the ball isn't even moving...and everyone has to be quiet? laughable
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

I like that

I can buy into all of that

It truly is amazing to see golfers (whether it's a sport or a game (I agree with the latter since the PGA calls it a game as well) making millions more than the NFL / MLB / NHL / NBA with NO physical contact and a lot of them have "Dunlop"
    disease (pun intended on Dunlop golf balls) -- their guts have "dun lopped" over their belts

Regards J.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from days-of-Orr. Show days-of-Orr's posts

In Response to Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com:
    [QUOTE]Today, www.boston.com posted pictures of 18 of Boston’s “great" athletes who hold various records within their respective sport. Russell, Brady, Clemens and Bourque among others were depicted. Certainly, all are deserving. Unfortunately, they forgot not only Boston's GREATEST ATHLETE but also the World’s GREATEST ATHLETE!!   Robert Gordon Orr, sometimes called "Bobby", is not only Boston's Greatest Athlete as evidenced by winning the NESN Boston Greatest Athlete Sports Poll last summer but he is also the world's Greatest Athlete, period!!! Sorry, Tiger, you are not even close!   Orr holds eight, straight Norris Trophies as the Best Defenseman in the NHL. He holds the single-season point record for NHL Defensemen (why didn't this get him posted in the article along with Bourque??).More importantly, long, long before there was the "Tiger Slam" there was the "Bobby Slam". In 1970, the year that "Superman" (Orr -- in the greatest Sports Photo in Boston history) flew through the air after scoring the game-winning goal on May 10, 1970 to win the Stanley Cup for the Boston Bruins, Orr was awarded the Norris Trophy for Best Defenseman, the Hart Trophy as Regular Season MVP, the Art Ross Trophy as the NHL’s LEADING scorer (remember he was a defenseman!) and the Conn Smythe trophy as the MVP in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Remember, Tiger’s Slam was accomplished over two seasons; Bobby accomplished his Slam all in one during the 1970 season.    More importantly, what sets Bobby Orr completely apart from and ahead of ALL other great athletes is the sole fact that Bobby Orr completely changed how a MAJOR Competitive Sport (NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, the PGA and Pro Soccer) are played. He did this SINGLE-Handedly and not only that but completely EXCELLED at the most rugged and fastest game on two feet. This is an INDISPUTABLE fact. Yet people keep wanting to say that Tiger Woods is somehow the world's greatest athlete. Woods excels at golf (occasionally -- when he isn't spitting ....) but he did nothing to "change" the game of golf! Not only did Bobby change the game back in the 60s but his effect is felt even today. You only have to look at Zdeno Chara, who owns the Hardest NHL shot and is a very aggressive, offensive-minded Defenseman and you see Orr's impact on the game.   When Tiger Woods can sink a putt from 80 feet on the 18th green at Augusta with a 225 pound NHL Defenseman bearing down on him with 2 feet to go at approximately 20 MPH and still sink the putt, he might come close to the greatness of Bobby Orr. Remember one more thing, Orr doesn't have 100 women he's texting on his cell phone.   They broke the mold when Bobby was born. If his knees had held out, Wayne Gretzky would still be playing trying to catch Bobby's records.   Shame on you, www.boston.com , for forgetting a "native Son" who is not only Boston's Greatest Athlete but also the World's Greatest Athlete!
    Posted by jongrif851[/QUOTE]

and he accomplished all this by the age of 27....

not only the best d-man but the best player in hockey history period!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Major Records Held by Boston Athletes -- GREATEST Athlete SHUNNED by Boston.com : and he accomplished all this by the age of 27.... not only the best d-man but the best player in hockey history period!!!!
    Posted by days-of-Orr[/QUOTE]

Totally agree

great response

Thanks

J.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jongrif851. Show jongrif851's posts

[QUOTE]Agreed but don't think you needed a post this long to get your point accross.  No offense.
    Posted by Nolakanookie[/QUOTE]

Would you have me just make a flat statement-- Orr is the greatest and not back it up ...?

I "accidentally" posted this on the Celtics side of the house as well thinking by just posting it would end up on some "site" here related to the original article on the 18 record holding individuals (it did not) and you would think I was committing sacrilege esp. the week that Russell gets the MOF from Obama at the WH.

Russell finished No. 2 to Orr in that NESN poll -- great Boston athlete with 11 Championships -- but when the likes of Larry Bird looked up into the heavens at the Garden at Orr's jersey every night for "divine inspiration" -- can't figure (Celtics fans ) how just winning championships makes Russell the better athlete other than with regard to longevity

Regards J.