Marchand - 2 games

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Newfiebullet. Show Newfiebullet's posts

Re: Marchand - 2 games

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:
    [QUOTE]Newf, I usually agree with you, but not in this case. Salo, was out to do damage. Look at the replay. Marchand knew he was vulnerable - and you can see it. Under normal circumstances, yes you would be correct.
    Posted by Wheatskins[/QUOTE]

That is fine I just think Salo is not that kind of player. I also feel Marchand could have done something else to defend himself in that situation. Very scary result that could end up breaking someones neck. Either way we will see what the league does.

I guess on this one we will have to agree to disagree. Have a good one.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I disagree Wheatskins. Hockey is a physical game and physical contact is expected by all in the game. When 2 guys are heading toward each other they are both expecting physical contact. I would have much rather Marchand to take the hit or better yet shoulder  to shoulder. That is hockey. But when you duck out of the way like that to avoid the hit then you put that other unexpecting player (Salo) in a very vulnerable position with very little control over the landing. I really hope Marchand matures because he is a very good player. I just feel that he is heading down the wrong road with some of this stuff and will eventually be handed his lunch or some other skilled Bruin will be handed there lunch because of something cheap Marchand has done. I didn`t like it and felt it was very dirty. To say he was trying to avoid a possible concussion is a reach as there is hitting in hockey and all players have to be able to handle the physical side of the game. Sami Salo is not known as a dirty player. Also getting lost in the hit is the fact that Marchand really hurt his team in that scenerio and really put them behind the 8 ball when they appeared to be gaining momentum.
    Posted by Newfiebullet[/QUOTE]
    If they didn't rewrite the rulebook to punish Cooke for the Savard hit then why should they rewrite it now for Marchand? We get it. You didn't like a hit that was borderline but still within the parameters of the rulebook. It's garbage that he's scheduled for a hearing. Does the rule state the knees or not? The hit was above knee level. It should be case closed. If they don't like the wording of the rule then change it but it's unfair to punish a guy for a play that is within the existing rules.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:[QUOTE]Since it's a meeting and not a conference call, he will get more than 2. Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2012/01/brad_marchand_t.html

"Brad Marchand will have a disciplinary hearing via phone tomorrow with Brendan Shanahan. Because the hearing will take place via phone, any suspension would be five games or less."

Not an in person meeting but he could still get 2 games though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/extras/bruins_blog/2012/01/brad_marchand_t.html "Brad Marchand will have a disciplinary hearing via phone tomorrow with Brendan Shanahan. Because the hearing will take place via phone, any suspension would be five games or less." Not an in person meeting but he could still get 2 games though.
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Ha!  Just saw that too and changed my post.  Thanks Sandog.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbbfan40. Show bbbfan40's posts

Shanny can't win on this one! Calls it by the rule and Vancouver screams. Make an example of Marchand and B's fans say the decision proves the refs and the league are out to get the B's. Also he may have to have NHL network  rescind their "Hit of the Week" award to Emelin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : If they didn't rewrite the rulebook to punish Cooke for the Savard hit then why should they rewrite it now for Marchand? We get it. You didn't like a hit that was borderline but still within the parameters of the rulebook. It's garbage that he's scheduled for a hearing. Does the rule state the knees or not? The hit was above knee level. It should be case closed. If they don't like the wording of the rule then change it but it's unfair to punish a guy for a play that is within the existing rules.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]Thats my point exactly Dez, everyone can have their opinion on the check, but they don't interpret the rulebook or work for the league. As defined by the rule Marchand did nothing wrong so he shouldn't be suspended. Just like the Cooke hit on Savard, they can't change the rulebook to suit the hit.If the rulebook is changed to read "below the hip ", then so be it, but it hasn't.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

AV is an idiot. Once again...an opposing coach claiming an instant concussion diagnosis, as if he has any idea if this is true or not. Concussions take at least 48 hours to fully reveal themselves and become something that can be properly revealed through medical tests.. Any symptoms from an athletic event before the 48-hour window can end up being a headache, nothing, something career-threatening and everything in-between.

But heck, why wait for a proper medical diagnosis when you can use someone's potential injury to your advantage leading into a league disciplinary hearing? Made me sick when Buffalo did this regarding Miller's non-concussion, and it makes me sick now.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

Marchand won't be suspended for this play.

I've watched about 20 of those "I'm Brendan Shanahan" suspension videos, and the format is the same every time.  He shows the video replay in slow motion explaining the infraction then says "This is a clear violation of rule ## which states....." as the rule is displayed on screen.  At the very least he's been very consistent with his fancy powerpoint presentations and format of the announcements.

Marchand was penalized and ejected for clipping, part of rule 44 which is defined as "a check on or below an opponent’s knees."  The check was well above the knees, so unless there is another rule out there that he clearly violated and nobody else is aware of there is no grounds for a suspension.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

For the last time everyone saying Marchand will not get suspended you're not understanding Shannahan's philosophy.  He's going to give at least a game and not only for this hit but for the accumulation of borderline hits.  He did it with Lucic and explained it was not just the hit on Rinaldo but all the other ones also that got him suspended.
    Especially now since Vancouver is claiming he might have a concussion.  Their BS starts from the top and it trickles down to all the players.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Anway in the end it's going to be fun to listen to the reason why Marchand is getting suspended.
    Why don't they look at the replay on Thorton, even Cody Hodgson from the bench was going at it and holding Thorton. 
    There's no rule for that ?  or will they just close their eyes and act as if it never happened.
    What gets me sick is guys like Vigneault and Hanhuis talking .  They seem to forget they live in glass houses and should not be throwing stones.
    Even the french media on RDS were baffled on how the Canucks ended up with a 2man PP.  Sure they also don't like the Bruins but that's why they were laughing.
    Their conclusion ,  they're not shocked , it's the NHL and they've seen so many bad calls. Then they laughed off again.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]For the last time everyone saying Marchand will not get suspended you're not understanding Shannahan's philosophy.  He's going to give at least a game and not only for this hit but for the accumulation of borderline hits.  He did it with Lucic and explained it was not just the hit on Rinaldo but all the other ones also that got him suspended. Especially now since Vancouver is claiming he might have a concussion.  Their BS starts from the top and it trickles down to all the players.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

I don't think he deserves a suspension, but I think he gets one.  Shanahan has the air cover of the Major/GM being called on the ice, he can simply say it is an illegal hit (see Lucic).  Further compounded by a Salo injury (concussion protocol) and he is likely getting some time off.

IMO, Marchand gets a couple of games for this reason. Fine on the Niskanen play, comes back with this hit. Shanahan says, "kid isn't getting the message", applies the Lucic-plan and gives him a few. Hard to be too pizzed off, since he should have got a few for the slew-foot, but hate this "make-up call" garbage.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games:[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Ha!  Just saw that too and changed my post.  Thanks Sandog.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

No worries Hang and you still might have nailed it as it could still be two. "Utah, Get me two!"...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games :  Hard to be too pizzed off, since he should have got a few for the slew-foot, but hate this "make-up call" garbage.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

Crowls - Absolutely in agreement with you.  Question:  If decisions start to be made with this aspect (balancing out/make-up calls) entering as a factor, does the integrity of the league begin to be drawn into question?  The notion of an appropriate punishment fitting the infraction will have gone down a different path.  Just wondering.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Crowls - Absolutely in agreement with you.  Question:  If decisions start to be made with this entering as a factor, does the integrity of the league begin to be drawn into question?  Just wondering.
    Posted by RichHillOntario[/QUOTE]

I don't think so RHO.  I just think it looks like the same supplemental discipline chaos as managed under Colin Campbell.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I don't think so RHO.  I just think it looks like the same supplemental discipline chaos as managed under Colin Campbell.

Crowls - Fair enough.  Just seemed like a potentially very slippery slope for Shanahan. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BSXIII. Show BSXIII's posts

Does anyone know who, if anyone else, is involved in the decision making process on suspensions?  Shanahan always says "The Department of Player Safety has decided..."

I did a few Google searches and checked NHL.com but couldn't find any info.  I saw a few write-ups announcing Stephane Quintal jointed the department in November, and saw a couple references that Rob Blake offers input.  Anyone have any more information on how the rulings are made?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : I don't think so RHO.  I just think it looks like the same supplemental discipline chaos as managed under Colin Campbell.

Yup. Suspend when a guys needs to be suspended and be done with it.
    Going on reputation ,  accumulation of iffy infractions,  warnings and fines and Shannahan is climbing a slippery slope. Agree RHO and Crowls.
    It is what it is and Shannahan doesn't want his phone ringing off the hook with calls from Gillis ...BUT MY PLAYER IS CONCUSSED ...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]Do we even know if Salo is hurt?
    Posted by Bruinfaninnewjersey[/QUOTE]

Perhaps we find out after the ruling on Marchand. This could be another Max Pacioretty syndrome.

Whatever the decision -- if suspended -- it just gives a chance for the kids to come up -- show their stuff -- and gain needed experience for the playoffs just in case. Seems like the B's recently scored 9 goals in a game where Mr. Marchand was out with flu symptoms.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]Does anyone take into consideration that Marchand is 5'9" and when he bends down is half of that. If a player 6'3" or better comes rushing in to deliver a check or play the puck beware. Once again, watch the replay, the check was not at the knees or lower as clipping is defined.
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

While I make no judgement on the call, this post makes a good point. First, Brad is more like 5'7". SALO, 6'3''. During the course of MARCHAND'S entire hockey career,many hits like this are delivered to his head area. Not intentionally, mind you but not uncommon for Brad. He probably developed this defence mechanism a long time ago. Being "vertically-challenged" myself, I can appreciate his desire to protect his head, and my guess is he also knows this is not an a totally innocent reaction. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The "height" argument carries no weight with me.  I think Marchand is smart enough to know the possible consequences of a hit that sends an opponent into an involuntary cartwheel. 

That is not a hockey play.  That is a play designed to injure.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]The "height" argument carries no weight with me.  I think Marchand is smart enough to know the possible consequences of a hit that sends an opponent into an involuntary cartwheel.  That is not a hockey play.  That is a play designed to injure.
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

Give it a rest hangnail.  It is a split second decision, intent to injure?  You have officially gone off the deep end. 

You say you want Marchand to stop playing like a Canuck, hey pot meet kettle.  You sound like Alain Vigneault with your b*tching and whining.  You don't like the kid's game, join NAS and sit your azz down and sulk next time he scores a big goal.

Some of you have absolutely lost your minds.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Give it a rest hangnail.  It is a split second decision, intent to injure?  You have officially gone off the deep end.  You say you want Marchand to stop playing like a Canuck, hey pot meet kettle.  You sound like Alain Vigneault with your b*tching and whining.  You don't like the kid's game, join NAS and sit your azz down and sulk next time he scores a big goal. Some of you have absolutely lost your minds.

I like your sig.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand - 2 games : Give it a rest hangnail.  It is a split second decision, intent to injure?  You have officially gone off the deep end.  You say you want Marchand to stop playing like a Canuck, hey pot meet kettle.  You sound like Alain Vigneault with your b*tching and whining.  You don't like the kid's game, join NAS and sit your azz down and sulk next time he scores a big goal. Some of you have absolutely lost your minds.

I said this last night in the heat of the moment and I'll say it again.

I hate the fact that people are blaming Marchand for the loss it's not their fault their hate for the kid blinds their judgment. Most he should have gotten was 2mins and Vancouver would have scored maybe only 1 goal.
    It's so easy to point out things like this but then when he makes the Bruins win a game it's hard for them to come here and say THAT IS WHY WE WON ! but nooo they chose to say THAT IS WHY WE LOST.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Having reviewed the play again I am now certain it shouldn't have been a penalty and wont' be a suspension. Marchand's back lifted Salo up and over by Salo's but/upperlegs. At first I was thinking it was maybe a slightly bad hit, now I feel strongly that it was a good, clean hockey check. If Marchand is suspended it's for reputation, and that will really disappoint me.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

This thread has a life of it's own.  Marchand is an intriguing player.  I will admit his play last year did not inspire.  Many like his "pest" mentality.  Pat Verbeek or Kevin Dineen like.  I have changed my view came with his overall play, he works well with Bergeron now Seguin.  Excellent player.

That stated clearly, Marchand needs to cleean up his play.  He is not Burrows, Subban, or even Hamhuis (check on Lucic last year/video proof Canuck fans are not objective).  CJ said he needs to be a pest of sorts, I agree, but not in the above category.  

The hit/check on the Swede was not right, a hockey play but a bit over the top for the "pest" CJ was referencing.  It was the intent to injure?, an argument many on here were using on Cooke's hit on Savard or infamous Samuelson hit on Neely.  After reading here aand listening to media pundits on the Marchand hit/check, I have to agree the penalty should not have been called. He should not be suspended.  Yet, he needs to learn how far he needs to go as a pest.  Not spearing like Burrows, or diving like Subban.  Play with an edge nonetheless but not stupid like Thornton being baited by Burrows.