Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing

Would anyone rather have Wheeler back taking up Brad's minutes ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Marchand is extremely well coordinated and thinks the game at a high level. Unlike that one that NAS slowed down to frame-by-frame a while back, this one was a blatant slew foot and Marchand knew exactly what he was doing. I don't think it was particularly dangerous one and that's why he got a fine and not a suspension. This was a warning shot by the league. Slew foots are basically like a Judo throw and are really tempting to do as a smaller player. As I've said before, before the term 'slew foot' was coined, smaller players were trained to do that to win battles with bigger guys. Now, like hits to the head, they are rightfully frowned upon. I wish that Brad didn't do it, not because it was so dangerous, but because it further draws attention to his border-line play. Like the Lucic-Miller thing. I'm still glad Marchand is on the team in spite of this stuff, but I hope he doesn't do something really stupid and hurt someone. My fingers are crossed. Don't make me hate you Brad.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Whether Marchand behaves better or not, what are we supposed to do about it ?
    Posted by 50belowzero[/QUOTE]

Discuss it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

He plays better when he's a rat...except lately, he hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire.  So - keep it together or show us that it's part of the plan.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

Nobody complained through the Cup run ! That's who he is and the league will deal with him when he goes over the edge. Till then. Game on. Just get a few more goals.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bim09. Show bim09's posts

He did it last year during the cup run but didn't get called for it most of the time.  I think the leagues just trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes a problem.

Marchy a good enough player, he doesn't need to do stuff like that anyway.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

He made a stupid play and got his face beat in. That's how it's supposed to go in a hockey game. Yawn. Complain about not having a rat but when you have one complain that he's here. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

Do you any of you know it alls ever wonder if the antics in Brad's game makes him play good in the other areas of his game? I am not saying he isn't a punk but for the most part I don't think he is a dirty player. Unlike many players who act like punks on the ice at least he is willing to drop the gloves. For those that want him to change his game so he can become a lady byng type canidite I caution if you get your wish you might not see the same player for the parts of his game that you and I love. Just a thought. I know this I love having this kid on our team!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MrVmax. Show MrVmax's posts

I'll take Marchand with a little edge any day of the week, this is hockey not dancing and only the strong survive. While I do not disagree with the fine I don't see this as an intent to injure slew foot, looks to me like momentum was a big factor in the play.

"(Though as our very own Jason Brough just pointed out, not all slew foots are created equal.)"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Discuss it.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    O.k, but it might get tiresome, or lets hope it doesn't.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from fourrings. Show fourrings's posts

In response to "Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing": [QUOTE]What is with you guys? Marchand made a questionable hit and then manned-up and got his face punched repeatedly for it. The league then gave him the max fine for the offense. Most people have noticed he's involved in far less of the after whistle shenanigans this year. I'm surprised nobody started a thread to grease him for the vicious "elbow" he "threw" to get a penalty last game. Pretty easy for some to forget who was the only Bruin to score in every win in the finals. I'm sorry but that fact earns him a little bit of leeway with me. Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE] The fact that he fought the guy has nothing to do with what the league deems a fineable offense, that was a dirty play and marchand has been crossing the line a lot this year, he's starting to remind me of Dale Hunter......not a good thing

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Yes, his attitude is part of what makes him a good hockey player.  He is always on, he is extremely intense and in your face and pushing boundaries. That same intensity is how he scores goals and wins battles. He plays and acts very much like Sidney Crosby, and that attitude is a big part of how they beat people physically who are much bigger than them. I also think that attitude can be contagious and can be valuable to a team that wants to win a championship. I was very happy when the Bruins finally had a player with Marchand's compete level.  That said, I don't want anyone on the Bruins who goes around injuring people. I didn't like it the other night when Sidney slashed Krejci off the draw and yapped to the refs from the bench at the end of the period. I don't want to see Marchand going around putting other players in danger. So far he has pushed things twice, once with an elbow to the head, and now the other night with that take-down. I didn't think either one was an intent-to-injure play, but accidents can happen. He needs to watch it. I still love having him on the team, but I do worry that he may run someone from behind or do something similar if he is feeling especially riled up.

[QUOTE]Do you any of you know it alls ever wonder if the antics in Brad's game makes him play good in the other areas of his game? I am not saying he isn't a punk but for the most part I don't think he is a dirty player. Unlike many players who act like punks on the ice at least he is willing to drop the gloves. For those that want him to change his game so he can become a lady byng type canidite I caution if you get your wish you might not see the same player for the parts of his game that you and I love. Just a thought. I know this I love having this kid on our team!
    Posted by LUCICmilan17[/QUOTE]

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure why you guys think he's behaving better?  I think he's the same or worse.  Haven't you noticed how many guys go after him when the whistle blows?  It happens all the time this year.  Plenty of stuff doesn't get caught when watching the game full speed.  I'd post more videos, but the last time I did, I got lambasted for giving him the number of the beast.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    the reason you don't think... is because your mind is already made up. you're immoveable in your positions, and paint most everything with a broad stroke- using sweeping generalizations. i think you're gay for not liking his rough a tumble style of play. what are we watching, figure skating? my god NAS man up. afraid of a little contact? for those of you who think my word choice is poor (gay)- see the "columbus fans are stupid" thread. NAS very eloquently explains how this word can be used to describe "unmanly" things. great read... check it out. i apologize if i offended anyone, trying to make a point.      

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

Fine is deserved but the league doesn't really suspend slew footing.

Subban - no penalty, no fine, no suspension
    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/01/12/p-k-subban-slew-foot-on-brandon-dubinsky-video/

Crosby - no penalty, no fine, no suspension - Callahan actually gets a penalty
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKr2Et0THzM

Ovechkin - fine, no suspension
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0QGStjCKRw

Marchand - fine, no suspension
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ7MWYYtZ8Q

Unless you have a really long name
    http://www.nhlsnipers.com/evgeny-artyukhin-suspended-3-games-for-nasty-slewfoot/

But this one is worse than them all
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y_L2iR7VZA

I can only find one slew foot suspension so I find it funny that others are calling for one. Niskanen wasn't even injured.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

i don't get how this is SOOOO dangerous. any standard tripping penalty carries the same risk. taking out the feet, fall to the ice. think about it. why the distinction? it's tripping.... period. two minute penalty. and people think the bruins get preferential treatment. laughable.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

He has been frustrated by not scoring, so his additional attributes tend to take over. He paid for it on the ice, and now off the ice, with the potential of a more serious penalty if he makes another openly egregious hit. He needs a Recchi-like keeper. Still love his overall speed, puck control, teamwork and scoring.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from abra-cadaver. Show abra-cadaver's posts

That is an NBC article and they casually refer to Marchand as "noseface" in it?  That is professional. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

At least he owns up to it.  Hopefully, he's learned that he can't be going out and doing that to people.......

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/bruins/post/_/id/8307/marchand-on-slew-foot-fine-something-i-shouldnt-have-done

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://blogs.providencejournal.com/sports/bruins/2011/12/julien-wants-marchand-to-be-a-good-brat-not-a-bad-brat.html#.Tuen-vLmhGM

"I want him to be a good brat, not a bad brat,'' said Julien after the game-day skate on Tuesday morning."

Nice one Claude!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In response to "Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing": The fact that he fought the guy has nothing to do with what the league deems a fineable offense, that was a dirty play and marchand has been crossing the line a lot this year, he's starting to remind me of Dale Hunter......not a good thing
    Posted by fourrings[/QUOTE]
    Wow, thanks for clearing that up. Who knew.........? Oh yeah, everybody but thanks for your "input". How about you tell me about the other times he crossed the line if it's happenned so much this year.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]i don't get how this is SOOOO dangerous. any standard tripping penalty carries the same risk. taking out the feet, fall to the ice. think about it. why the distinction? it's tripping.... period. two minute penalty. and people think the bruins get preferential treatment. laughable.
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]

Have you ever been slew footed.  Its impossible to defend against and its a greasy play. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Have you ever been slew footed.  Its impossible to defend against and its a greasy play. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    tripping is tripping. it's impossible to defend against ANY tripping. from the side, front, or behind. are you telling me when someone is tripped, they are ready for it, and can legitimately defend against it? please show me some video of a player saving his balance after being tripped... with a stick, or foot.  bottom line any tripping is dangerous when playing on ice. btw, i have been tripped before. they ALL hurt, if you hit the ice wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Marchand gets max fine for slew-footing : Have you ever been slew footed.  Its impossible to defend against and its a greasy play. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]
    I think almost every forward has been slew footed by a D-man in front at some point in their playing days. It's greasy but there are much worse things happenning in this league on an almost nightly basis. The level of respect for an opponent has dropped off considerably as the salaries have gone up. It's probably just coincidence but it does make me wonder.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

how is "slew footing" any different than someone approaching you from behind, skating past you, and scooping your feet from under you with their stick? it's the exact same thing, only one uses a stick, and the other a foot. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]how is "slew footing" any different than someone approaching you from behind, skating past you, and scooping your feet from under you with their stick? it's the exact same thing, only one uses a stick, and the other a foot. 
    Posted by adkbeesfan[/QUOTE]
    I guess the term " slew footing " is more greasier sounding than tripping.