marchand not signed yet

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rolerhoky19. Show rolerhoky19's posts

Re: marchand not signed yet

Sandog,
    I think March looks like a guy whose going to score 20-25g, 40-50 points pretty consistantly..

Hes taken a couple hits this season that make me worry about a long term deal  (when he gets going and gets caught with his head down - pk subbans hit)..

he could just as easily comeback and put up 20g 20asst again, and that could be a good season, I said all year I see his skill set as being similar to kobasew.. The kid can finish, but I don't think hes a threat to develop into your first line winger..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Good post, but just as an FYI I ran into Brad at the grocery store last summer... driving a Dodge Viper.  This, after he had played a whole 20 games in the NHL.  Based on his salary he earned about $150k that year.  How does one buy a Viper after 20 NHL games?  Simple, you come from a wealthy family.  I don't think money is an issue for Brad as much as he loves to compete and loves to win.  He doesn't want to leave the champs.  Check out Brad's Grandfather, Dad, uncles and the family business below:

http://ramar.ca/About-Ramar.php

In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet:
    [QUOTE]Sometimes logic prevails, sometimes it doesn't.  As always, I'll provide another view: What does every player want when he enters the league?  Generally, I'd say two things:  A Stanley Cup ring, and a lot of money. Now that Marchand has one, he can set his sights on the other.  A lot of players will take less to get a chance to win the Cup.  Now that Marchand has that ring, does he really need to provide the 'home discount' to PC?  I'd say not.  BUT, does he want the chance to win multiple rings?  Can he sign somewhere that will do both?  i.e. give him more money that the Bruins are willing to offer, AND give him a chance to win another ring?  Given the fact that many teams are looking to spend money to get to the cap floor, and are also trying to build a winning team, what better way than to sign a young player who already has seen and experienced "what it takes" to win a Cup? It's not like Marchand is another Recchi, who's already made his millions, and is in a position to say "heck, what do I need with another $1 - 1.5m, when I can get another shot at a Cup?"  Marchand is still in the "I'm looking to accumulate my retirement nest egg" phase of his career, and if the Bruins don't give him what he thinks he deserves (or what his agent has convinced him he deserves), he will likely look favourably at offer sheets, should they be forthcoming.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Good post, but just as an FYI I ran into Brad at the grocery store last summer... driving a Dodge Viper.  This, after he had played a whole 20 games in the NHL.  Based on his salary he earned about $150k that year.  How does one buy a Viper after 20 NHL games?  Simple, you come from a wealthy family.  I don't think money is an issue for Brad as much as he loves to compete and loves to win.  He doesn't want to leave the champs.  Check out Brad's Grandfather, Dad, uncles and the family business below: http://ramar.ca/About-Ramar.php In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet :
    Posted by OatesCam[/QUOTE]

I know people who are bad with money.  They make $45K/yr and they drive $30K cars.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=65252078&listingRecNum=3&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20012%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22363%26rd%3D100%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D03079%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

I don't think one needs family riches in order to drive a Viper.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I do not see the point of your statement.  You can be terrible with money, but you simply can't afford a viper unless you make enough cash, which he did not through hockey alone until after he bought the car.  He also is independently wealthy, regardless of what he drives, the car was just an anecdote.  My point was that he can quit hockey and have all the money he needs, so, possibly, other factors may influence where he wants to play more than just biggest contract.  What is your point?

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : I know people who are bad with money.  They make $45K/yr and they drive $30K cars. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=65252078&listingRecNum=3&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26mkId%3D20012%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D22363%26rd%3D100%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D03079%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dprice%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national I don't think one needs family riches in order to drive a Viper.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I didn't know people still drove Vipers...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I do not see the point of your statement.  You can be terrible with money, but you simply can't afford a viper unless you make enough cash, which he did not through hockey alone until after he bought the car.  He also is independently wealthy, regardless of what he drives, the car was just an anecdote.  My point was that he can quit hockey and have all the money he needs, so, possibly, other factors may influence where he wants to play more than just biggest contract.  What is your point? In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet :

My point is that your point about the Viper is irrelevant.  If he's making AHL money and driving a Lambo I would agree with you.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I only just now clicked on your link above.  To clarify, it wasn't an old Viper. 

http://www.dodge.com/hostc/models/CUD201007/bmo/selectModel.do

Most AHL players do not drive (near) 6-figure cars. But your desire to attempt to point out a flaw in an irrelevant detail is puzzling.  Brad's dad owns RaMar construction, they are wealthy.  It's not up for debate.  It's doubtful (though entirely possible) that he would pass up a lot of money and a lot of winning for a little more money and less winning as was posted above.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Any more word on this?   Marchand is a MUST SIGN.  He and Bergy basically won the famous game seven vs Van.   Marchand is just coming into his own as a true NHL sparkplug and quintessential Bruin.

Anyone heard anything?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]I only just now clicked on your link above.  To clarify, it wasn't an old Viper.  http://www.dodge.com/hostc/models/CUD201007/bmo/selectModel.do Most AHL players do not drive (near) 6-figure cars. But your desire to attempt to point out a flaw in an irrelevant detail is puzzling.  Brad's dad owns RaMar construction, they are wealthy.  It's not up for debate.  It's doubtful (though entirely possible) that he would pass up a lot of money and a lot of winning for a little more money and less winning as was posted above.

But is the choice "passing up a lot of winning?"  Yes, the Bruins are reigning champs and have a fine future, but not signing with the Bruins does not preclude him from signing with another team with just as bright a future, right?

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]I only just now clicked on your link above.  To clarify, it wasn't an old Viper.  http://www.dodge.com/hostc/models/CUD201007/bmo/selectModel.do Most AHL players do not drive (near) 6-figure cars. But your desire to attempt to point out a flaw in an irrelevant detail is puzzling.  Brad's dad owns RaMar construction, they are wealthy.  It's not up for debate.  It's doubtful (though entirely possible) that he would pass up a lot of money and a lot of winning for a little more money and less winning as was posted above.

Drawing conclusions because of a chance meeting at the grocery store or because you know a little about his family still seems awfully speculative to me. 

Are you sure it was his car?
    Any chance it was a lease?
    If he is so wealthy, why was he at the grocery store?  Can't he send the butler?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

[QUOTE]RFAs generally have one tactic - stalling.  Stall until some GM doesn't get his plan to come together and thinks of offer sheet plan B.  Stall until a few of your comparables get goofy arbitration settlements.  Stall until your GM starts to feel pressure and comes up.  Worst case scenario, you have a contract - you can always accept the tender. Posted by Bookboy007[/QUOTE]

Agree. But I think the stall tactic backfires if the Bruins sign someone else (like Callahan if the NYR turn down his arbitration award.) Don't get me wrong, I really like Marchand. But he could burn himself by waiting too long.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

2.75 MIL AREA WOULD BE MY FINAL OFFER.....oops caps lock stuck.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsfan4778. Show bruinsfan4778's posts

29 other teams WILL take him so.....SIGN HIM.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinsforever. Show Bruinsforever's posts

Sports is a mega $$$$ business

I don't blame Marchand (or his agent) in this negociations process

Not everytime as player (even for us as individuals) that you are in a good position for salary negociations. When the train comes by.... jump into it as it might not come back !!!

Not so sure what is primary for these young adults (or old kids) between a Lord Stanley ring and a mega $$$$ pay stub. I'd jump on the mega pay stub as my career could last 2 years, 5 years, 10 years, who knows, and the only thing I do well is playing hockey.

No more loyalty in that business... both ways

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : Okay, thanks for the update, glad you were sitting in on those private contact meetings... keep us posted... 
    Posted by readsocks[/QUOTE]

I clearly stated that it was my guess.  I understand that you dislike me, but if you're going to be snide, don't make yourself look this stupid.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from thedauber1. Show thedauber1's posts

readsocks not looking stupid when talking about hockey is more or less impossible NAS

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: marchand not signed yet : I clearly stated that it was my guess.  I understand that you dislike me, but if you're going to be snide, don't make yourself look this stupid.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    NAS, could you explain to me why you do not want Marchand on this team? How can you not love Marshmont?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carltetus. Show carltetus's posts

David Stampkos is not signed yet with Tampa Bay. We are just in July. All RFA will be signed before September with their team.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]David Stampkos is not signed yet with Tampa Bay. We are just in July. All RFA will be signed before September with their team.
    Posted by carltetus[/QUOTE]

Who is David Stampkos?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CarolinaClamMan. Show CarolinaClamMan's posts

Watching reruns of the playoffs, I'm thinking--  Marchand is worth as much as Lucic for sure.   I don't see $4 M as unreasonable for this rising young star.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

David Stampkos. Yeesh.

I would imagine both sides have incentive to go for a short-term deal. Chiarelli needs to know that the player is the real deal and can sustain an edge for the long-term. Marchand has enough swagger to think he can crush it for a couple years and get a huge payday. I see 2 years somewhere around $2.25 each. Wheeler money.

The only hiccup would be if PC thinks Marchand has only scratched the surface in terms of potential, which then would lead to a longer 4 or 5-year offer to try to get him at a cheap rate. I don't see Marchand or his agent going for that, though. 2 years seems to be likely.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

I wouldn't read too much into the car thing....or the family wealth either.
    First the car.  Lets agree, he only made around 150k to date, when spotted at the grocery store.  Young athletes usually share an apartment, and live on generous per diems when on the road(half of the time).  Basic living expenses don't exceed that of a comparable kid making minimum wage working at Old Navy.  Any kid can live way better than his middle class buddies on 40 k net per year(don't forget the per diem).Most players get some kind of a signing bonus when they sign their first pro
    Anyway, that 100k or so, he earned in the NHL last year, was all gravy, above and beyond what his "counted on" earnings in the minors amounted to.
    Marchand did not have to posess any kind of financial genious, to "pay cash" for that vehicle last spring.  An easier, no brain option, would have been to put 30 or 40k down, and finance the rest over 2 years(time remaining on his contract).  Again...an incredibly easy, uncreative way for a young pro athlete to buy the big car...if that's what he wants.
    The old man's company.
    It's a company building houses...not a mega construction business.  Several of those around.  Some struggle, some do quite well.  Few, in Atlantic Canada, produce dizzying wealth, and you need staggering wealth, in order to responsibly start buying your kids six figure cars.  An ordinary millionaire can't do that.  You need several million, in order to throw money around like that.
    If old man Marchand has in fact accumulated a fortune, he's done it the hard way, and he probably know's how important it is for his kids to make their own way, before ruining them with handouts.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Here's my take...
    With the goofy free agent period we just experienced, I think both sides are waiting on some arbitration awards to "settle" the market a little to see what true value really is today.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

steve - nice.

One added note: signing bonuses are generally maxed for rookie contracts - because the max is $90K or so.  About right for walking into the dealership and saying I'll take that Viper!

BFinNJ - I don't think there's much chance that the stall backfires on Marchand.  Negotiations would have to be much more bitter before the Bruins would go ahead and bid on Callaghan or Dubinsky (or did they get Dubinsky done?) to replace Marchand, and they have the money for both if needed.  Bruins will want to keep Marchand one way or the other, and he doesn't have much other leverage.  It's also unlikely the Bruins will bid on a top notch player after an arbitration walk-away.  Price would likely be as high or higher than Marchand.