Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court?

Just saw this on the news this morning. 

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12007325825652/magistrate-scituate-player-s-check-not-criminal/

We've debated a bunch of NHL hits this year, what is everyone's take on this one?  Looks like a pretty good hockey hit to me, at least nothing egregious.  No penalty called on the ice.

That said, can't believe the Hannon family thought the right course of action was to take this to court.  Hockey parents...go have your kid join the band if you are afraid of him getting hurt.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court?

1.  "If he said sorry at first, this could have been avoided."  Unreal.  You wasted all that court time because your dang feelings were hurt? 

2.  Typical entitled Duxbury kid. 

3.  That hit was clean.  You got your bell rung, kid.  Welcome to hockey.

4.  I feel bad for the kid that delivered the check.  Imagine following the rules and having to face a judge for it? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Not quite to the subject, but I think the h.s. refs are a factor in this.

I'll tell you that I have seen the worst refs EVER watching minor hockey here in MA, I've watched pee wee and high school and it's just ridiculous.

Tons of pushing and shoving after the whistles, practically to the NHL level and no penalties.  Millions of missed calls and phantom calls, it's really awful.

It's just begging for undisciplined players.  It's not promoting sportsmanship.

I can see how this 'anything goes' reffing would have a tendency to promote law suits as kids feel they were ripped off on the ice, they might want to take it elsewhere.

College hockey on the other hand, I feel the refs are pretty good.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

This is a little weak.  Bring this to court for a " hockey hit " ?
    I think the kids parents are reading too many KPD articles. 
    What next ??? The "must to trade Thomas "

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Boo. Hoo.

The mother and the lawyer were simply awful.

It may have been a bit high, but it really wasn't that egregious. Shoot, Torres isn't even going to court.

Any parent who sends their kids to hockey and thinks that they're not putting their kids in harm's way, they need to think again. Hockey is dangerous as all hell.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ridiculous, absurd, and the workings of a spoiled brat's family in Duxbury.  How embarassed would you be if your Dad tried to do this for you?

Although, there is a small part of me that wonders why the kid wouldn't just apologize, given the extent of the injuries.  Don't admit you did anything wrong, just apologize for the other person's misfortune and suffering...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nix02061. Show nix02061's posts

I personally don't understand how this mother is now letting her son go play lacrosse after suffering such a serious concussion that they bring the other kid to court.

If he was THAT scrambled then the lacrosse field is the LAST place he should be so soon.  (FYI this was his second serious concussion per Channel 5 news last night)

While I do feel bad that Hannon is now allegedly being bullied at school.  What reaction did they think this was going to get?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oh come on, I've seen dirtier hits than that in Pee Wee.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

No penalty was called. I wonder why?

The spoiled, entitled Duxbury deebag with matching deebag parentals thought entered my mind too, NAS.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

The soccer moms of Deluxbury in full force. Don't sign your kid up for hockey if you don't want him to be hit. And of course the obligatory scum bag lawyer took it on. Wussification of todays youth in full play here.

Caught my 11 year old nephews little league game the other day. They use a "soft" baseball and the kids have bars across their batting helmet to protect their faces. Nice, now when that kids get to the next level, he'll have no healthy fear of the ball and get hurt on a line drive or pitch up and in.

Great job by all involved, now get a life.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Re: Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court?:
    [QUOTE]Ridiculous, absurd, and the workings of a spoiled brat's family in Duxbury.  How embarassed would you be if your Dad tried to do this for you? Although, there is a small part of me that wonders why the kid wouldn't just apologize, given the extent of the injuries.  Don't admit you did anything wrong, just apologize for the other person's misfortune and suffering...
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    I got a kick out of the lawyer saying that it was crimunal if it was done outside of the arena........well, of course it would be. What's next? Perhaps charging boxers with assault too?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court? : I got a kick out of the lawyer saying that it was crimunal if it was done outside of the arena........well, of course it would be. What's next? Perhaps charging boxers with assault too?
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I laughed at the exact same line dez.  How utterly stupid.

Shooting a hard rubber puck at a goalie's face would be illegal outside the rink too.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Massachusetts High School Hockey Hit Ends Up in Court? : I laughed at the exact same line dez.  How utterly stupid. Shooting a hard rubber puck at a goalie's face would be illegal outside the rink too.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    You'll definitely get in trouble if you take a hockey stick and slash someone at Fenway.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

“If that activity was done just outside this courthouse he would be serving time for assault and battery with a deadly weapon,” said Jay Mullen, Hannon’s attorney.

I was just going to this also.  Imagine clearing the crease at in real life.   Cleaning out all of the people crowded around the "it" toy.  How about giving a good ole face wash to the person behind you at Stop and Shop?

I am thrilled that the judge said up your ace.  I am also thrilled with the kid's "apology".   He's sorry that there was a concussion and he's sorry it went so far.  He never says he's sorry for the check.  “I’m sorry Tucker got a concussion and I’m sorry it got to this point,” said Way. “But other than that, I’m just glad it’s over.”

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]“If that activity was done just outside this courthouse he would be serving time for assault and battery with a deadly weapon,” said Jay Mullen, Hannon’s attorney. I was just going to this also.  Imagine clearing the crease at in real life.   Cleaning out all of the people crowded around the "it" toy.  How about giving a good ole face wash to the person behind you at Stop and Shop? I am thrilled that the judge said up your ace.  I am also thrilled with the kid's "apology".   He's sorry that there was a concussion and he's sorry it went so far.  He never says he's sorry for the check.  “I’m sorry Tucker got a concussion and I’m sorry it got to this point,” said Way. “But other than that, I’m just glad it’s over.”
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]
    The kid finished his check. No penalty on the play. The parents should be made to pay court costs as this was little more than a nuisance lawsuit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucdufour. Show lucdufour's posts

The kid probably has his mom tie his skates with a Skate Tightener in the locker room before the game.  Embarrassing.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]The kid probably has his mom tie his skates with a Skate Tightener in the locker room before the game.  Embarrassing.
    Posted by lucdufour[/QUOTE]
    I couldn't believe how bad the kid was sulking about it. Yeah, it was a hard hit. Hockey is a tough game.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

OMG, the kid did not have ice awareness when he made the shot on net?  I wonder how many suits there would be if every hs basketball player who hit the hardwood floor after a flagrant foul was commited?  It was a hockey play!  BTW I hope he recovers quickly and his parents reassess their commitment of their son to play hockey.  Try indoor track.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] Try indoor track.  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

Funny stuff!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

How much money wasted on attorneys for absolutely nothing. A hockey hit, really.