Matt hunwick traded!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Re: Matt hunwick traded!

In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded!:
    [QUOTE]Would of preferred Paille to be the guy to get shipped out of here.  And I would rather have Hunwick over Ferrence on D.  Are they going to carry two healthy forward scratches now? 
    Posted by abra-cadaver[/QUOTE]

Agree about Paille, that guy is brutal.  But I think Ference is a more consistent defensive player than Hunwick.  Doesn't have the speed/offensive capability, but isn't as shaky in his own end.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz16. Show yaz16's posts

Good trade. Mcquaid stepping in is a blessing. I hope Ference is traded next. Really would like to see Kampfer get a shot

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stingerjp. Show stingerjp's posts

[QUOTE]BAD trade....Hunwick a future star....Letting Paille go would have cleared almost enough cap space for Savard's return.   Hunwick was the best skater on the team and gaining proficiency rapidly.  
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

CCM- i have mixed feelings about your points.  I don't think he was a future star(Hunwick), but he was a quick skating D and this is something the B's have very little of. 

Also agree the Paille must go...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from fordprefect. Show fordprefect's posts

Paille has no trade value, he may be out of the league if he keeps his horrible play up. I see him in Providence after Savard and Sturm return. Even Thornton and Cambell find the net once in a while, but not this guy.  The guy has rocks for hands.  Ferrence is better than Hunwick, but not worth his contract, which makes him immovable. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]Good trade. Mcquaid stepping in is a blessing. I hope Ference is traded next. Really would like to see Kampfer get a shot
    Posted by yaz16[/QUOTE]

I've seen Kampfer in Prov, you don't want to see him get a shot.  He's not NHL ready.  Ference has been fine this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded! : I hope a trade is made.  The question is who wants overpaid players?  It was time for Hunwick I called it.  Kinda obvious thought.  Hopefully McQuaid will be good as a full-timer.  He has the toughness that we are lacking. D&C do SVCK!!!
    Posted by fordprefect[/QUOTE]

Totally agree on McQuaid's toughness.  I think he will do well with the defensive system as a number 5/6 defenseman.  The concern is over puck movement out of the defensive zone.  The addition of Savard may in fact help but not enough in my estimatiion.  Although LRH stated a trade of Ryder or Sturm and Wheeler for Kablerle would not help Toronto, he is rather objective, I don't believe PC would work with Burke.  So another move is coming just don't who to speculate on. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from airbus01. Show airbus01's posts

i think this was a good move. we needed to clear cap space. but i think we should also trade Ference

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrightonChick. Show BrightonChick's posts

I'm sorry to see him and his speed go (I like the guy... sorry!) but completely agree with previous posts - time ran out and who knows if there were better options.  I wish him well (except when we play CO)...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

The painful realities of the cap world.  Can't see how we've improved(present tense) by trading the best skating d man for a player not yet skilled enough to crack the line up....but I guess it is what is is.
    I'm not expecting the deal which allows Sturm to come back will result in anything but subtraction either.
    Depending on how things go when both Sturm and Savard are back for 10 or 15 games, will dictate any meaningful moves for the varsity team moving forward.
    Me thinks if the team doesn't drastically increase it's compete level over the next 6 weeks....we'll see a blockbuster

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I think Hunwick's game just never translated to "the system". He'll probably flourish with Colorado's style (from what I've seen of it).

I gotta admit the first thought that crossed through my mind when I heard he was traded was "well, that'll show him, for actually showing up to the Carolina game...we'll have none of that here" : O

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

It is a bit curious though, that the one defenseman with some of the traits that are often cited as a key weakness on this team is the one sent packing.  More to come?  Maybe.  If Ryder is gone next, then Chiarelli would have the option of trading Stuart and (possibly separately) picking up a defender worth about $2.5M

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]It is a bit curious though, that the one defenseman with some of the traits that are often cited as a key weakness on this team is the one sent packing.  More to come?  Maybe.  If Ryder is gone next, then Chiarelli would have the option of trading Stuart and (possibly separately) picking up a defender worth about $2.5M
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Hunwick may have had the traits of a puck-moving defenseman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was one.  He lacked the passing ability and vision to be a PMD.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded! : I've seen Kampfer in Prov, you don't want to see him get a shot.  He's not NHL ready.  Ference has been fine this year.
    Posted by TimThomas-god[/QUOTE]

I've read nothing but great things about Kampfer and how he is far and away the best D-prospect the Bruins have right now (which also says a lot considering that Bartowski and Alexandrov are also highly regarded).  What exactly did you not like about his play...I would love anyone with first hand knowledge chime in...I only know what I read being so far away.

Kampfer leads the Baby B's in assists, +/- with a +9, and is second in total points (14 in 17 games)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

Tukka:

From the games I've seen, Kampfer just didn't play sharp.  He made some sloppy passes while breaking out of his own zone and coughed up the puck several times on the blueline during the powerplay (brought back bad memories of Wideman).  He isn't bad, it's just that he needs some seasoning down in Providence, like all of the B's D prospects.  I'm sure he'll continue to improve his game and will be on the Bruins' blueline sometime in the future, just not yet.

Honestly, I thought Bartkowksi looked the best out of all the Providence D-men.  Good speed out of his own zone and generated some nice scoring chances.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

[QUOTE]Tukka: From the games I've seen, Kampfer just didn't play sharp.  He made some sloppy passes while breaking out of his own zone and coughed up the puck several times on the blueline during the powerplay (brought back bad memories of Wideman).  He isn't bad, it's just that he needs some seasoning down in Providence, like all of the B's D prospects.  I'm sure he'll continue to improve his game and will be on the Bruins' blueline sometime in the future, just not yet. Honestly, I thought Bartkowksi looked the best out of all the Providence D-men.  Good speed out of his own zone and generated some nice scoring chances.

Thanks for the info..it's nice to hear from people who are there instead of the rare articles and looking at stat sheets.  I started a thread along the same line.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]BAD trade....Hunwick a future star....Letting Paille go would have cleared almost enough cap space for Savard's return.   Hunwick was the best skater on the team and gaining proficiency rapidly.  
    Posted by CarolinaClamMan[/QUOTE]

Almost isn't good enough..plus your assuming somebody wants Paille..I don't think its a huge loss..too small a defender for my liking.. Boston got some big body in return...we need size back there not someone who peels off the glass easily..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://www.nesn.com/2010/11/matt-hunwick-proved-to-be-good-bruin-until-end-of-short-career-in-boston.html

Nice note from Jack Edwards...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded! : Thanks for the info..it's nice to hear from people who are there instead of the rare articles and looking at stat sheets.  I started a thread along the same line.  
    Posted by TuukkainNet[/QUOTE]

No problem.  It's always nice to inform fellow Bruins fans about what's going on with the team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Hunwick was the guy to go.  As usual people are banging on Ference but, as usual, he has played just fine so far this year.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TimThomas-god. Show TimThomas-god's posts

[QUOTE]Hunwick was the guy to go.  As usual people are banging on Ference but, as usual, he has played just fine so far this year.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  I still don't understand the Ference hate. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TuukkainNet. Show TuukkainNet's posts

Little article from denver....

Slightly shocking news tonight as the Avs have acquired puck-moving defenseman Matt Hunwick from Boston for highly-touted Colby Cohen.
    Hunwick, 25, has skated in all 22 games for the Bruins this season, tallying a goal and two assists with a +4 plus/minus rating. The Warren, Mich., native has appeared in 164 career NHL games, registering 45 points (13g/32a).

“Matt is another young defenseman who can contribute to our lineup right away,” said Avalanche General Manager/Executive Vice President Greg Sherman.
    According to Hockey's Future,
    Hunwick is a responsible player in his own zone. He is strong in his defensive positioning and decisive in reading his coverage as evidenced by his team leading +14 rating. He is an asset carrying the puck up the ice and is an integral part of Michigan’s transition game. On the power play, Hunwick moves the puck quickly and makes hard, sharp passes. His shot from the point is average at best.
    So he sounds like another Liles, or Cumiskey, or Shattenkirk, or Holos.

The big plus for Cohen is that a) he had that killer slapshot from the point that the Avs have lacked since Rob Blake left town and b) he was the long-time defense partner of Kevin Shattenkirk, who is currently tearing it up with Colorado as we speak.

The two even combined for the game winning goal in the NCAA Championship two years ago: (Fast Forward to 8:57)

I really liked Cohen. He had a "mean streak" in his brief stint in the pros this season. Not to mention, the kid grew up in Villanova, PA. Shout out to Pennsylvania, here.

That said, Hunwick sounds like a competent player, and I have no doubt that this means Wilson or more likely, Cumiskey, will be out of Colorado by season's end.

We'll see how this plays out. Hopefully it's not another Johnny Boychuk-type fiasco.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded! : Hunwick may have had the traits of a puck-moving defenseman, but that doesn't necessarily mean he was one.  He lacked the passing ability and vision to be a PMD.
    True enough, but I think my larger point stands; Chara-Ference/Seidenberg-Stuart/Boychuk-McQuaid.  Next to no transition out of that group, and the fastest skater is ... Ference?  Unless he has expectations that one of the Providence players with some offensive upside can contribute by the end of the season, I think this trade suggests that he wants to make an improvement there.

Of course, it could also mean that he had no options on players like Paille or Ryder right now, and was unwilling/unable to demote either.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowboys9. Show cowboys9's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Matt hunwick traded! : Exactly.  I still don't understand the Ference hate. 

Neither do I.. But since Ference signed  that deal some on here have had it in for the guy.. Like its his fault , maybe he should play for peanuts, like most of the haters would .. Yeah Right!! . Good for him.. Careers can end quickly and as I always say in life " Get as much as you can , while you can"   All I know when he is playing the  Bruins record is better than when he isn't there.. The guy is a steady player, smart player hardly gets himself in trouble and sticks up for his team mates.. Iginla still says Calgary should never have got rid of him.. That's good enough for me...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I'm disappointed.  Before I logged in, I decided that there would be at least seven threads on the subject.  We only got two!

I'm happy with the deal, as you might guess from my sig line.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from OlsonicCreations. Show OlsonicCreations's posts

praise jesus