My problem with Shawn Thornton

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

My problem with Shawn Thornton

I dont about you guys (some of you have already mentionned that ST is done) but why keep him iin the line up when we could continue developping a younger player like Matt Fraser or Florek that could become an excellent 4th liner by the end of the season ...???

is there a logical explanation or is it simply that CJ is in love with ST .?

I know I've already written some posts on this topic and I have nothing against ST he's been great for the Bruins in the past but isnt time to turn the page and give his ice time to a youngster ??

your opinion and comments please

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Re: My problem with Shawn Thornton

Just the fact that some teams know hes on the ice kind of keeps the wolves at bay

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

My guess is that its because Bruins management is trying to show they are not a cut throat environment for players, that within the bounds of the world of the NHL they are showing that a washed up player isn't merely thrown out in the trash the next morning.

I suspect they are showing that it's a "friendly work environment."  Players who know they will be treated well and/or fairly are more likely to sign as free agents, maybe even sign for less money if they know they won't be treated like dirt further down the line.

This applies to only veteran players, the young guys have to make their bones first.  The vets get the benefit of a doubt and then some until they prove themselves incapable beyond the last shadow of a doubt.  Like Daugavins and Pandolpho last year.

Or maybe they are using Shawn to get the most out of the young players, they have to earn their spot with a stellar performance because Shawn keeps his spot being just below average.  It might save another players from being injured.

As with the playoffs in their cup year, Shawn will probably be seen less in the playoffs when it really matters.  I would be shocked to see him resigned.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

Thornton is to me important in a lesser extent as Mark Recchi was during the Cup run. It is almost unheard of that a 4th line in the NHL actually has a nickname (Merlot) let alone that one exists as a consistent line on a NHL team. But what Thornton does is not force a McQuaid or Lucic take 5 minutes off for fighting because the B's need a boost, or the B's need to answer to ridiculous checks by the opposing team. Thornton takes care of business, like Recchi took care of tip-ins and giving the B's a veteran presence to look up to in the locker-room or even get a pat on the back. Thornton is a team-first guy and that's the only reason he got suspended in the first place--answering a concussion check on Eriksson. People forget or maybe the thread starter that Thornton picked up the B's during the Rangers series with offense. The guy has a good shot that is on target, and he does actually have hockey skills--forechecking one of them. He's slow, just like Recchi was, but I feel he still adds an important cog to the B's. Would a Florek or Fraser do better with Campbell/Paille--maybe--but I like the intangibles with Shawn. He's a fan favorite and he gets the team and the crowd going and there's nothing wrong with that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

He raises the temperature in a couple of living rooms ( South Florida and Halifax ). For that reason alone, I enjoy having him on the ice as a Bruin.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to dannycater's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Thornton is to me important in a lesser extent as Mark Recchi was during the Cup run. It is almost unheard of that a 4th line in the NHL actually has a nickname (Merlot) let alone that one exists as a consistent line on a NHL team. But what Thornton does is not force a McQuaid or Lucic take 5 minutes off for fighting because the B's need a boost, or the B's need to answer to ridiculous checks by the opposing team. Thornton takes care of business, like Recchi took care of tip-ins and giving the B's a veteran presence to look up to in the locker-room or even get a pat on the back. Thornton is a team-first guy and that's the only reason he got suspended in the first place--answering a concussion check on Eriksson. People forget or maybe the thread starter that Thornton picked up the B's during the Rangers series with offense. The guy has a good shot that is on target, and he does actually have hockey skills--forechecking one of them. He's slow, just like Recchi was, but I feel he still adds an important cog to the B's. Would a Florek or Fraser do better with Campbell/Paille--maybe--but I like the intangibles with Shawn. He's a fan favorite and he gets the team and the crowd going and there's nothing wrong with that.

[/QUOTE]

He doesn't fight as often and when he does he loses more than he wins.  Yes, good skills for a cement head, but those skills have declined quite a bit.  In the cup year, at the height of his skill level he got 10 goals, nearly a third of what he's gotten in his career.  His numbers have been dropping ever since.

He was useful in the locker room when their were guys like Seguin around, who Shawn famously threated to beat the crap out of if he didn't get his act together.  It had limited effect on Seguin, and now there are no players on the team like that.

He's washed up.  My bet is that he'll be in the lineup until the playoffs roll around.  Maybe he might sit a few games until then.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

My bet is that he'll be in the lineup until the playoffs roll around.  Maybe he might sit a few games until then.

[/QUOTE]

I see this as the plan for Thornton's playing time also. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

You guys sure gave up on him, I haven't. I bet Julien hasn't either. The B's won last night with him in the lineup after 2 atrocious performances. Regardless of being effective on the ice or not, or even playing 6 or 7 minutes in a game, there's something that he does by just being there that helps the B's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

You guys sure gave up on him, I haven't. I bet Julien hasn't either. The B's won last night with him in the lineup after 2 atrocious performances. Regardless of being effective on the ice or not, or even playing 6 or 7 minutes in a game, there's something that he does by just being there that helps the B's.

[/QUOTE]

It's not so much giving up on him as realizing he's hit his expiration date.  Players hit that point and then they decline.  He's hit that point.  He's 36 years old - 6 months from 37.  Ancient especially for a cement head.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billge. Show billge's posts

For someone so unimportant to the team (he is not first line center , or a lead defenseman) he is sure important to you.  Monomania or something like that

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

It's funny though the guy comes back and the Bruins win.  Now,  it's not directly due to him, i would have liked to see more of Florek .  What was that stat Chowdah ?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]

You guys sure gave up on him, I haven't.

[/QUOTE]

I have never been a Thornton basher.............and never will. I like what he brings to the Bruins........mostly during the regular season. 

Seeing the talent that the Bruins have coming from the AHL isn't giving up on him............... it's recognizing if the Bruins are fully healthy up front that come playoff time he will be lower on the depth chart .

Let me ask you this. When Chris Kelly returns.......what would you do as far as sitting a  forward ?  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I have to agree that he does something... I'm still stumped as to what that is.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Getting harder and harder to justify it.  

However, given all of the blueline injuries, was anyone else tired of watching Adam McQuaid duke it out with goons every other game, when he's become such a reliable d-man on an increasingly thin backend?  Rather have Lucic or Chara doing it?  Thornton still has some purpose there.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

In response to BsLegion's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What was that stat Chowdah ?

[/QUOTE]

It's the great one's ( not Gretzky ) rule based on the under 5 minute factor. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

In response to Chowdahkid-'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

You guys sure gave up on him, I haven't.

[/QUOTE]

I have never been a Thornton basher.............and never will. I like what he brings to the Bruins........mostly during the regular season. 

Seeing the talent that the Bruins have coming from the AHL isn't giving up on him............... it's recognizing if the Bruins are fully healthy up front that come playoff time he will be lower on the depth chart .

Let me ask you this. When Chris Kelly returns.......what would you do as far as sitting a  forward ?  

[/QUOTE]

I asked you this question on the GMT .

Really tough, Bruins management and coaching really value Kelly.  He's un-popular here on this forum because he doesn't rack up the points (missing the real point Kelly is on this team)  , actually by many Bruin fans but I don't see Kelly being scratched .  Maybe not even traded.  So what will they do with Spooner ?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Getting harder and harder to justify it.  

However, given all of the blueline injuries, was anyone else tired of watching Adam McQuaid duke it out with goons every other game, when he's become such a reliable d-man on an increasingly thin backend?  Rather have Lucic or Chara doing it?  Thornton still has some purpose there.

[/QUOTE]

That's my point. There's always going to be a need for a guy who doesn't have to do a lot and be the sacrifice guy for a fight rather than see a more important player do the dirty business. That and I like that he can pick up the team with that every once and a while 4th line goal/assist.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

I like Florek and Miller, two guys who did impress me on the W.C. trip. Kelly? Let's put it another way. It's not a bad problem to have. And with all the injuries, you want a 7th d-man or a 13th, 14th forward around. I just don't feel you discard Thornton this season. After this season, maybe it's time. But he's still a part of the aura of the B's Julien bunch.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

Spooner, Kelly, Thornton, Caron

4 FWD's for 2 playing spots and one spare. I think Caron will be gone. To me Spooner brings to much to the table to send him back down, he has until Kelly gets healthy to continue to impress, who knows he may already have secured his spot. Julien seems to like him, and neither Julien,Chiarelli or Neely are going to tell us their plans. Kelly will without a doubt be back in maybe to make the best 4th line in the NHL Campbell-Kelly-Paille.

I like a Thornton a lot but time has caught up to him this year and last. He will I hope see spot duty after Kelly comes back, keep everyone honest, provide rest and insurance due to injuries. Chiarelli should procure another depth FWD for the playoffs after he acquires that depth/2nd pairing D

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

No way, when it comes to the Playoffs, does Claude favour Spooner over Kelly. And, really when the Playoffs arrive, Kelly's value becomes more apparent.

Having said that, maybe it isn't merely a choice between Kelly and Spooner

Perhaps the Merlot Line interchanges Paille/Campbell/Kelly/Thornton until the Playoffs when it leans more toward...

Paille/Campbell/Kelly (which, on paper, looks an effective unit)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gord11. Show gord11's posts

...though I harbour a bad bad feeling that Ryan Spooner will be the valued asset going away in any deal to get a decent, veteran defenceman....if that remains Chiarelli's wont.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

In response to gord11's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No way, when it comes to the Playoffs, does Claude favour Spooner over Kelly. And, really when the Playoffs arrive, Kelly's value becomes more apparent.

Having said that, maybe it isn't merely a choice between Kelly and Spooner

Perhaps the Merlot Line interchanges Paille/Campbell/Kelly/Thornton until the Playoffs when it leans more toward...

Paille/Campbell/Kelly (which, on paper, looks an effective unit)

[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this.
    If Spooner falters in the playoffs he will be replaced not unlike Hamilton last year(rightly or wrongly)

If Spooner is traded for a defenceman it will be a good one, so I will take it

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kitchener. Show kitchener's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

My problem with Shawn Thornton was that he got suckered into giving a p@ssy a couple of bit^ch slaps. Supposedly concussed him & got suspended for 15 games. Glad he's back! 

[/QUOTE]

Yep, but man this is going to start a war on here.Lol

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

ST's 8 minutes a game doesn't really translate into not allowing a good young talent to develop. Its possible players like Fraser or Florek get move development time skating on a regular shift with Providence.

And Fletch is completely correct that Id rather send ST out there for the figthts rather than see McQuaid as often as he has lately and not even considering Lucic or Chara.

ST has a useful role on the 4th line right now in limited ice time, semi-routine healthy scratches, designated fighting and a bit of locker room leadership.

The real question is when Kelly gets back.  Spooner is the guy who who be "held back" from developing in my opinion if he were sent down or had his ice time significantly diminished.