My take on who should fill the spots on the roster.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

My take on who should fill the spots on the roster.

Ok, so I have caught a few games and some players have looked better than others. I'll start with two that look like they could make the B's Roster. Spooner and Smith look pretty good, both based on speed. Spooner looks pretty smart and more of a play maker. Smith has an edge and a compete level I like. Not sure if he can maintain that through an entire season and I know guys try a little harder in preseaon trying to make the squad. Two players that will probably be in the line up, that just DO NOT impress me.....Caron and Soderberg. They just look like they are a step behind. Slow to get moving and slow to react. Ive seen Caron now for several seasons and he really hasnt improved. Soderberg doesnt appear to be able to adjust to the speed of the NHL and this is preseason. He looked a step behing in last years playoff, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. As for defenseman, Dougie looks awful. Sophmore jinx has already taken over. We have good depth though. Bartowski is solid and Miller doesnt look half bad.

I do like several of the younger guys trying to make the squad. Anyway, thats my take from it all so far. The B's will be solid, no matter who fills the void, but Caron and Soderberg have their work cut out if they want to stick with the club.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Re: My take on who should fill the spots on the roster.

Caron plays Claude's game, but it may be time for Claude to alter his game to add more speed and scoring. The kelly line looks to be solid, and Soder's size and stick skills complement the speed of Kelly and Smith. Need to retire Thornton, which would make Caron a good fit for his size and defensive capabilities. Bartkowski could easily replace Boychuck, plus Hamilton's right shot makes him OK with Chara, although more speed is needed to cover for Chara's aging reactions

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Other way around, Soderberg is adjusting to the grinder style of the NHL. The Swedish League is all about speed and open ice. Spooner made a great case for himself last night. He was absolutely everywhere.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I don't think any 2 posters agree on who stays and who goes.

I think that's a good thing because I think the competition for the spots is very good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:

I think that's a good thing because I think the competition for the spots is very good.

Good points BH and I'm actually pretty comfortable with whoever CJ decides to keep up in those spots.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

[QUOTE]

Good points BH and I'm actually pretty comfortable with whoever CJ decides to keep up in those spots.

[/QUOTE]

Im comfortable with anyone but Caron. And in all honesty, even if it is him, Im not heartbroken and will pull for him to do well.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It's going to bother me more this year that Thornton is in the line up when the team has 4 guys that at least deserve a good solid hard look at the NHL level. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

It's going to bother me more this year that Thornton is in the line up when the team has 4 guys that at least deserve a good solid hard look at the NHL level. 

Oops.  Make that 6 guys.  I just surprised myself - I threw 4 out there off the top of my head.

6 is a lot of depth.  My list in order is;

1) Spooner

2) Caron, Fraser, Smith, Johnson

3) Lindblad

I've decided to see some Providence games this year for sure, there are going to be interesting prospects down there no matter what happens.  Bought tickets for 3 games when they visit the Sharks in Worcester and I'm going to buy another when they visit Manchester

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Oops.  Make that 6 guys.  I just surprised myself - I threw 4 out there off the top of my head.

6 is a lot of depth.  My list in order is;

1) Spooner

2) Caron, Fraser, Smith, Johnson

3) Lindblad

I've decided to see some Providence games this year for sure, there are going to be interesting prospects down there no matter what happens.  Bought tickets for 3 games when they visit the Sharks in Worcester and I'm going to buy another when they visit Manchester

I think Koko (I'm all for people being against nicknames, but it's just a headache to type out that one) should be in Providence this year, if I'm not mistaken. That could get exciting.

One thing I've seen thrown around here recently (haven't been active on here this summer) is that Subban will be playing in Providence as well. Is that true? I thought he was too young to be in the AHL?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Im comfortable with anyone but Caron. And in all honesty, even if it is him, Im not heartbroken and will pull for him to do well.

[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows I like Caron's game as a bottom 6 option but I certainly understand why so many disagree. I thought he played well last night. He did everything CJ wants from a 3rd line winger aside from lighting the lamp. 5 hits while generating some chances is a good night for him in my books.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Everyone knows I like Caron's game as a bottom 6 option but I certainly understand why so many disagree. I thought he played well last night. He did everything CJ wants from a 3rd line winger aside from lighting the lamp. 5 hits while generating some chances is a good night for him in my books.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed on all points in regards to his game last night. But outside of 2 or 3 games over the past 3 seasons, I dont think he looks like a NHL regular yet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Davey, he's certainly having consistency issues to start his young career but I still see an NHL player when I watch him play. The way I look at it, there are lots of one dimensional offensive players that fail to stick in the NHL whereas every team has a handful (at least) of players that provide very little offense but manage to play every year based on their ability to play away from the puck. I will try to find the quote from CJ in camp where he said that Caron plays great positionally and that now he just needs to find a way to add some offense to his game. That's what I see from him also. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think Caron gets it with a short leash. If he doesnt stick, would not suprise me if he rquests a trade.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Davey, he's certainly having consistency issues to start his young career but I still see an NHL player when I watch him play. The way I look at it, there are lots of one dimensional offensive players that fail to stick in the NHL whereas every team has a handful (at least) of players that provide very little offense but manage to play every year based on their ability to play away from the puck. I will try to find the quote from CJ in camp where he said that Caron plays great positionally and that now he just needs to find a way to add some offense to his game. That's what I see from him also. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

I hear you, I dont disagree, and a small part of me is still rooting for him to find his game and flourish. I always have a soft spot for players who stick and do well with the team they are drafted by. I just genuinely think Spooner and Smith have looked better, even if it is just preseason.

I defintely wouldnt mind at all if they benched Thornton and gave Caron a chunk of those minutes!

Either way, these 'problems' we have (choosing between Caron,Spooner,Smith,Fraser,Linblad) are a good problem to have. Though young, all those guys seem to have some NHL or at least call-up, potential.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Jordan Caron 2013-14 =  Zach Hamill 2011-12.

If Caron doesn't stick and actually contribute this year, they'll deal him for Chris Bourque.  But I think he'll get 15-20 games to make a closing argument.  Problem for Caron is Smith has been as good or better.  Problem for Smith is Caron's heavier, and the Bs like and need heavy. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

Jordan Caron 2013-14 =  Zach Hamill 2011-12.

If Caron doesn't stick and actually contribute this year, they'll deal him for Chris Bourque.  But I think he'll get 15-20 games to make a closing argument.  Problem for Caron is Smith has been as good or better.  Problem for Smith is Caron's heavier, and the Bs like and need heavy. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

Book, I've been very impressed with Smith. He certainly plays bigger than he is. I actually expected Fraser to be the one to play with some snarl but it's been Smith I've seen it from the most. I don't care who takes the spot as long as they're deserving.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

CJ basically called out Caron to step up his production; likes his two-way play but, at some point, he's got to provide some offence. Can't disagree with that at all.

Dez, all due respect, I think Soderberg has looked pretty good so far in camp. Quicker than last year, grittier, and already has pretty decent skill. We'll see if he can keep that up.

I wonder if CJ would ever consider moving Campbell to the wing to let Spooner centre the 4th line with Paille rounding out that line. Paille and Campbell bring speed and grit and, even though Spooner is an offensive guy not usually suited for 4th line duty, he will get the appropriate number of minutes and will have the opportunity to create offence playing with those two. Would be awesome if their toughness rubbed off on him; then he'd be like a faster, less wizard-like, Krejci. The big advantage is that you could reasonably expect offence from all four lines and you can bring in toughness (Thornton) when needed with minimal impact on the rest of the roster by moving Campbell back to centre and subbing ST for RS.

Bartkowski and Krug look a step, perhaps two, ahead of Hamilton. Not worried about DH's development but those two deserve to be in the top 6 opening night and, if so, the D looks really solid. Hamilton to Providence to log monster minutes against pro competition with Miller as the 7th defenceman. Can't see PC sending Dougie down though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

Also, I hope there is a plan for Svedberg. I don't want a Khudobin repeat. Hopefully the Bruins can develop him into a marketable asset (before signing here, other teams were already courting him) by giving him time in the NHL. He looks like he can hold his own.

I think the extra 400k investment in Svedberg (over Johnson) is worth it given the potential for Svedberg to be a number 1 or a key trading chip. If he is the next Lundqvist (longshot but not impossible) maybe he even makes Rask expendable and frees up all that cap space. If, as is likely, Rask maintains the number 1 spot, deal Svedberg for assets (ie, Schneider, Bernier). 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

I think Caron gets it with a short leash. If he doesnt stick, would not suprise me if he rquests a trade.

To me Caron has shown absolutely nothing in the pre-season so far. Let him go a la Hamill.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

To me Caron has shown absolutely nothing in the pre-season so far. Let him go a la Hamill.

[/QUOTE]

He's led the team in hits in most of the preseason games he played. He was all over the puck again last night and caused a few turnovers and chipped in a goal by parking himself in front. I really have no idea what type of player some of you were expecting him to be because he's playing exactly how I expected him to. He's a much better bottom 6 option than Johnson and likely makes the team for that reason.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

You and me both... my opinion of ST has gone down a lot since the concussion (and I don't know if it was ever too high to begin with.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:

[QUOTE]

You and me both... my opinion of ST has gone down a lot since the concussion (and I don't know if it was ever too high to begin with.)

[/QUOTE]

I kept my eye on ST in the last 2 games and he was awful. He wasn't even able to make a hit out there because he takes such poor routes to the puck. He was truly a liability on most shifts. Sadly, he's far worse than he was last year. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Not good Dez, ST is sucking up valuable TOI for anyone but him.