Neely and money in sign language

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Neely and money in sign language

During Neely's speach in the banner raising he referred to the financial backing of JJ and when he did he rubbed his fingers together like fingering a coin, the sign language for money.

I thought Neely was taking a little shot at JJ for making the comment about Neely "we never won a cup while he was skating for us."

Did anyone catch that?

Good PR move for Neely to take a shot at JJ, albeit a mild one.  Keeps Neely's image of taking no prisoners, not being afraid of anyone - even his boss, and that the Bruins management is tight ship.

I didn't hear JJ getting boos in the broadcast, I'm glad he did.  He hasn't erased his sins of the past in my book.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Neely and money in sign language

At least JJ doesn't fake it that he isn't Mr. Burns or Ebenezer Scrooge. Jeremy is in it for the money but he doesn't hide behind his teams PR department. Most sports teams owners have learned to smile for the camera but behind the scenes they are worse than Jacobs. I could go on n on about Alex Spanos owner of the Chargers all day but I don't have time.

Can't do anything to change the past BadHab and I felt the same as you did. Jacobs isn't much different than allot of owners in sports, again JJ doesn't hide behind his spend thrift ways he's not good at it and ask his investment partners if they make money through Delaware North ? Smiling all the way to the bank...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I had a different interpretation, in that, I thought Neely was kind of sticking up for him by pointing out that he did spend to the cap.  With all of the fans booing and yelling at him, I thought Neely was politely pointing out to the fans that all you want from an owner is cash, and this team got it.  As far as the grudges of past years and being angry with Jacobs...yeah, it is still hard not to hate the guy. 

But Cups cure all wounds.

That said, it is shocking how much Jacob's actually looks like Montgomery Burns.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

i'm in the same boat as Fletch. Cam smiled and rubbed his fingers , alluding to having the cash to make the team. Perhaps, Jacobs, in the past, did not have as much confidence in his management team. Obviously he has had Harry around for a long time, but he may have had reservations on the rest of the management team, and therefore was not as willing to spend. At the same time, the CAP helps to limit the amaount available to spend, plus Chiarelli, after making a mistake with Lewis, seems to have made a number of good moves.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

I'm in the supportive camp.  I heard the boo's and I thought that was a bad time to voice that opinion.  This was to be a celebration, not a vengeance opportunity.  I thought Cam was sticking up for JJ.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LUCICmilan17. Show LUCICmilan17's posts

I had no problem with J.J. being booed. In my mind had he opened the check book in the past I think there is more than a good chance we have at least a couple more cup banners than we do now. I can't forget the past but I will give him credit for one thing. Unlike John Henry at least he stays out of the way and lets the hockey manangment make the decisions on players. He now provides them the "resources" as Cam said. Loved the gesture by cam my all time favorite bruin. 2 of my cousins in my family are named Cam haha.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Ever since there was a cap the Bruins have spent to it. Hard to say all those years if Jacobs was cheap or Harry was the driver of that bus.. I would never question Harry's intelligence, but I wonder if Jacobs took a lot of heat for the way Harry ran the business.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

Speaking of boos, here's a theoretical question for you guys:

If game 7 last June had been in Boston, and Bettman comes out to hand the Cup to Chara, would he have been booed?

And even more theoretical, if game 7 was in Boston, and if the Canucks had won, would Bruin fans applaud as the players held up the Cup, as Canuck fans did?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

In Response to Re: Neely and money in sign language:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of boos, here's a theoretical question for you guys: If game 7 last June had been in Boston, and Bettman comes out to hand the Cup to Chara, would he have been booed? And even more theoretical, if game 7 was in Boston, and if the Canucks had won, would Bruin fans applaud as the players held up the Cup, as Canuck fans did?
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

Certainly not as vigorously as he was booed in Vancouver.  A lot of that comes from the loss of the Jets and Nords, and his focus on the larger non-hockey markets in the US. 
    And for the second part, Marchand was booed so I hope you are not claiming the high ground here.  Lucic is a home boy so  you can't really count that.  They did cheer Timmy's all world performance which I hope the Boston fans would replicated if they saw something similar.  The wild card here is that Vancouver is a very difficult team to tolerate.  I've rarely see such universal hatred of one team from so many regions of North America.  They are tough to cheer for. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of boos, here's a theoretical question for you guys: If game 7 last June had been in Boston, and Bettman comes out to hand the Cup to Chara, would he have been booed? And even more theoretical, if game 7 was in Boston, and if the Canucks had won, would Bruin fans applaud as the players held up the Cup, as Canuck fans did?

Bettman was booed becuase he took Canadas game and put it in markets that don't care about hockey for quick money.
    He probably would have been booed..
    Burrows would have been booed becuase of his cheap antics.
    Luongo would have been booed because of his comments, but if we are talking hypothetically them winning I'm assuming Schneider would have to be in net.
    Sedins would not have been booed, cause lets face it, non factors.

I know for a fact when Edmonton raised the Cup in the Garden there were practically no boos, in fact there were cheers out of respect.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]I had a different interpretation, in that, I thought Neely was kind of sticking up for him by pointing out that he did spend to the cap.  With all of the fans booing and yelling at him, I thought Neely was politely pointing out to the fans that all you want from an owner is cash, and this team got it.  As far as the grudges of past years and being angry with Jacobs...yeah, it is still hard not to hate the guy.  But Cups cure all wounds. That said, it is shocking how much Jacob's actually looks like Montgomery Burns.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Yeah Fletch, everytime I see him I expect him to break into a rendition of "See My Vest".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

North, would you please place a cactus in your avatar.  Just to inform you as you are not a Bs fan, the booing is old history between the fans and JJ.  He was quite well received during the parade.  The Neely remark was a type of male humor with Neely making jest with an off the cuff remark of JJ during the parade, really nothing at all.  

For the others, I am no fan of JJ.  I will say this, the NBA was looking at a hard cap.  That league is in trouble financially.  (Celtics too as they deal with Underware North). Nonethess, JJ was correct with the last CBA cap.  His only problem he practiced it on the region ten years before 2004! I will give him credit for being fiscally shrewd. I will give the man credit for that especially in these economic times.  Go Bs!  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]North, would you please place a cactus in your avatar.  Just to inform you as you are not a Bs fan, the booing is old history between the fans and JJ.  He was quite well received during the parade.  The Neely remark was a type of male humor with Neely making jest with an off the cuff remark of JJ during the parade, really nothing at all.   For the others, I am no fan of JJ.  I will say this, the NBA was looking at a hard cap.  That league is in trouble financially.  (Celtics too as they deal with Underware North). Nonethess, JJ was correct with the last CBA cap.  His only problem he practiced it on the region ten years before 2004! I will give him credit for being fiscally shrewd. I will give the man credit for that especially in these economic times.  Go Bs!  
    Posted by islamorada[/QUOTE]

You speak the truth.  Absolutely.  But for a long time he was like an owner of a restaurant, who didn't know anything about cooking and who didn't eat in his own place and was only concerned about cost.

Yes, he was correct with the CBA and the cap, which is good for hockey.  But there was a lot of damage he and the others like him did before that the effects of which remain to this day.  What Wirtz did with the Blackhawks is criminal.  Chicago should be a hotbed of hockey.  Practically no NHL players come out of Illinois, and right across the lake you can't even give an accurate number of how many thousands played in the NHL.  Yes, Wirtz maximized his profits at the expense of the greater good.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

The way I heard the jacobs response, it sounded a lot more like people were angrily screaming sh*t at him than a rigorous booing. It was kindof uncomfortable to watch honestly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]I had a different interpretation, in that, I thought Neely was kind of sticking up for him by pointing out that he did spend to the cap.  With all of the fans booing and yelling at him, I thought Neely was politely pointing out to the fans that all you want from an owner is cash, and this team got it.  As far as the grudges of past years and being angry with Jacobs...yeah, it is still hard not to hate the guy.  But Cups cure all wounds. That said, it is shocking how much Jacob's actually looks like Montgomery Burns.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

This ^^^^. Badhab's interpretation is way off .

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I thought it was a jab too, because Neely almost laughed while saying it.  I mean really, EVERYONE knows that Jacbos didnt dish out money over the years.  Whats he going to do with a cap, NOT spend to it?  Yeah, right.  MAYBE if the cap was 100 million.  I definitely took it as a jab.  And to be honest, I dont think Jacobs saying what he did before the parade was a jab at Neely.  It just sounded like it.  I thought he genuinely meant he was happy for Cam to finally win it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

[QUOTE]I thought it was a jab too, because Neely almost laughed while saying it.  I mean really, EVERYONE knows that Jacbos didnt dish out money over the years.  Whats he going to do with a cap, NOT spend to it?  Yeah, right.  MAYBE if the cap was 100 million.  I definitely took it as a jab.  And to be honest, I dont think Jacobs saying what he did before the parade was a jab at Neely.  It just sounded like it.  I thought he genuinely meant he was happy for Cam to finally win it.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]

Yeah I agree, JJ is not one of the most articulate at the podium.  It was all just retorted humor. Much to do about nothing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Bettman would have been booed to high Heaven like he is everywhere he goes.  I bet 99% of the people booing him have no idea why.

No, the B's fans wouldn't have applauded the Canucks players.  Bruins fans dislike chumps who play Nancy Hockey.  Bruins fans have no respect for players like Burrow, Lapierre or either of the Louganis sisters.  Outside of Brad Marchand, Boston Bruins hockey is honorable and hard nosed...as it should be.  Vancouver is soft, weak, and fraudulent.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from getoffthephone. Show getoffthephone's posts

I know one thing we wouldn t have done. Destroyed our city like a bunch of idiots!!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Neely and money in sign language : I know one thing we wouldn t have done. Destroyed our city like a bunch of idiots!!!
    Posted by getoffthephone[/QUOTE]

Good for you.

I didn't either.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

FWIW Joe Haggerty also thought it was a dig back at JJ.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

[QUOTE]FWIW Joe Haggerty also thought it was a dig back at JJ.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

So now the count is at two who were way off.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 4everbruins. Show 4everbruins's posts

Like a bunch of others here, I took the Neely money symbolism as "JJ gave us the means to get the players/resources we needed". In my mind, as an owner, if you ante up the $$ to the max, you've enabled the GM, president and others to get the job done. He's done that, and now rewarded with a Cup......and alot more $$ in his pocket. Hopefully we'll see more of  it.......championships that is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]FWIW Joe Haggerty also thought it was a dig back at JJ.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

Well, if some random blogger things so, it must be true.