Nervous?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Nervous?

Remember when Chara said he was nervous and this place blew up like Nagasaki because leaders don't get nervous, and how can he help his team without that confidence and he's nervous so we're toast.

Consider this:

(Yahoo sports)  Maybe Nicklas Lidstrom(notes) really is human. The 40-year-old Detroit defenseman seems like a model of emotionless efficiency, but he said this week: “I still get excited to hit the second season, as we sometimes call it, when the playoffs start, and I still get a little bit nervous. I still get the jitters.” Nervous? The jitters? Still? Lidstrom?

---

I wonder if the people of Detroit are skewering him for the roast for similar comments?  Of course not.  Just more proof that a lot of the stuff we have to sift through here is complete junk.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Nervous?

Can't wait to here some of the explanations as to why a sports fan will still find a reason to say "when your supposed leader say things like that there is a reason to still read into it or get nervous duh".

1, 2, 3, Go!.....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yes.  The trick is to ignore them.

But like a traffic accident, sometimes you can't help but look.

I appreciate honesty.

My impressions and guestimations;
    I would take Chara seriously as a player.
    A guy like Mark Messier and his big macho boy thing I would not take so seriously.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

The only guy that likely never got nervous going into battle was Gen. George Patten.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Stuke50. Show Stuke50's posts

I've heard hockey, football guys say that if your not nervous, then it's time to quit playing. I never played big time hockey, but I always had a twitter in the ole tummy before each game.  PS: i quit playing not because i wan't nervous any more, but when the other team kept dumping the puck in the fat, slow guys corner ! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bailey77. Show bailey77's posts

i think any athlete gets nervous, captain or not - its human nature.  Keeping the feeling to yourself is what being cool under pressure is all about.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

If you're human you get nerves.  It just depends how you channel it.  Some turn it into motivation, others panic.  Can the playoffs just hurry up already?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Fear and pressure are great motivators.  Some players crack, others thrive.  Hopefully we get better results this year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

In Response to Re: Nervous?:
    [QUOTE]I've heard hockey, football guys say that if your not nervous, then it's time to quit playing. I never played big time hockey, but I always had a twitter in the ole tummy before each game.  PS: i quit playing not because i wan't nervous any more, but when the other team kept dumping the puck in the fat, slow guys corner ! 
    Posted by Stuke50[/QUOTE]

Classic quote above....I play mens league now and have been for years...And I still get the jitters before each game. Goes away after the first shift though. I think its just nervous excitement really. Nothing feels better than lacing up the skates and stepping on fresh sheet of ice, when it comes to all sports.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from huscroft28. Show huscroft28's posts

I coach my boy's U-14 soccer club.  I get "nervous" before every game - can't stand still and I'm not even on the field.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Of course, they all get, or at least should get, nervous.  Anybody who has played any kind of high level competitive sports knows that feeling.  
    We as fan's get nervous.  Although, NAS, didn't you say you don't get nervous unless you have money on the game or something?  Nerves were for getting fired etc?  I think it's a huge part of being a fan.  I remember sitting on the edge of my couch, rocking back and forth during game 6 in 2008.  The range of emotions I went through in 30 minutes was unbelievable.  Good times!!  You don't feel that in the regular season.   This is a special time.    Can't wait.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Ha, I love it.  What a ridiculous debate that was.  Everybody gets nervous before big games -- it is how you deal with those nerves that matters.  Being nervous is good for you as a motivator, as long as you can channel it.

When I played hockey (never at very elite level) I got nervous before every single game.  Sometimes I played good, sometimes I didn't.  You can be nervous and confident at the same time, you know.

Lidstrom, what a hack.  What's he ever done?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I get nervous watching the games.  I am a terrible leader on this board. 

Lord as a kid and even adulthood getting the nervous energy is a positive.  Coming on the ice hearing 20,000 fans and music pumping. 
    I remember back when Calgary went to the finals and it was their 1st home game of the finals.  They had the camera on Craig Conroy and he said to a team mate"listen to that f'ing crowd".  Goosebumps, nervous energy.  I love it.  Makes me miss playing hockey.  I mean I still get nervous energy playing in the beer league playoffs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

cam neely used to throw up before games. I think Fletch1 put it perfectly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Glenn Hall's one of the ten best goalies ever, and he puked before every single game. Henri Richard has more cups than anyone else and he once said that he used to visibly shake before every playoff game. Hayley Wickenheiser also says she vomits before every Olympics game (and she has three golds and a silver).

I think being nervous is a good thing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE] Although, NAS, didn't you say you don't get nervous unless you have money on the game or something?
    Posted by scooter244[/QUOTE]

I don't.  I have no control over the outcome and no matter what it is, it won't change my life.  I used to get nervous playing.  I don't think much about it when I'm watching.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Glenn Hall's one of the ten best goalies ever, and he puked before every single game. Henri Richard has more cups than anyone else and he once said that he used to visibly shake before every playoff game. Hayley Wickenheiser also says she vomits before every Olympics game (and she has three golds and a silver). I think being nervous is a good thing
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Glenn Hall, Henri Richard...Hayley Wickenheiser?  No.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous? : Glenn Hall, Henri Richard...Hayley Wickenheiser?  No.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Yes. She'll be in the Hall too. Even you know that, NAS. Top five ever of her gender.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous? : Yes. She'll be in the Hall too. Even you know that, NAS. Top five ever of her gender.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Top five of what?  The last 15 years?  Whatever.  If women and men are to be treated the same, let's judge them the same. 

She doesn't belong with those two.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous? : Top five of what?  The last 15 years?  Whatever.  If women and men are to be treated the same, let's judge them the same.  She doesn't belong with those two.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

I meant all-time (there's a Preston Rivulette from the 30's that I would put as the best female player ever). And I wasn't trying to compare her to Hall and the Pocket Rocket. I was listing successful hockey players (and 3 golds and a silver makes her successful, as does being the highest scoring player in international play ever(not counting Red Army)) who have admittedly been nervous before big games. Just because she's a chick doesn't mean she doesn't get nervous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Nervous? : I meant all-time (there's a Preston Rivulette from the 30's that I would put as the best female player ever). And I wasn't trying to compare her to Hall and the Pocket Rocket. I was listing successful hockey players (and 3 golds and a silver makes her successful, as does being the highest scoring lpayer in international play ever) who have admittedly been nervous before big games. Just because she's a chick doesn't mean she doesn't get nervous.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

And just because she plays hockey doesn't mean she belongs in then conversation. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I agree - the fact that she can skate circles around anyone on this board and is among the top five EVER of her gender, does. I'd hve no problem comparing her AS EQUALS to some of the greats from within the first 20 years of men's international play, like Howie Morenz. Other than gender differences (strength et al) I'd say skill wise they are on par. You're like those people who say that Flo-Jo or Babe Zaharias or Billy Jean King don't deserve to be talked about as great athletes because they were women.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

shes more man than most of us...which isnt a good thing.

if Dennis Bonvie makes the HHOF I think she makes it easily.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]I agree - the fact that she can skate circles around anyone on this board and is among the top five EVER of her gender, does. I'd hve no problem comparing her AS EQUALS to some of the greats from within the first 20 years of men's international play, like Howie Morenz. Other than gender differences (strength et al) I'd say skill wise they are on par. You're like those people who say that Flo-Jo or Babe Zaharias or Billy Jean King don't deserve to be talked about as great athletes because they were women.
    Posted by red75[/QUOTE]

Flo-Jo = steroids  lol 

So if there was a hermaphrodite who was honestly terrible, but was better than the other hermaphrodites, would that person also qualify?  You know, being the best of the gender?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]shes more man than most of us...which isnt a good thing. if Dennis Bonvie makes the HHOF I think she makes it easily.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Were you referring to me or Hayley? ;)