NHL 30 in 30

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

NHL 30 in 30

NHL.com is doing their annual 30 teams in 30 days survey going into the fall.  Anyone interested in following the team by team approach and looking ahead a month or so to when they players start to report?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: NHL 30 in 30

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

NHL.com is doing their annual 30 teams in 30 days survey going into the fall.  Anyone interested in following the team by team approach and looking ahead a month or so to when they players start to report?

I am. I'm expecting some younger players to make big strides this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=90899&navid=nhl:topheads 

Here's the calendar.  They've already done the Ducks, Flames, Oilers, Kings, Coyotes, and Sharks.  Today's the Canucks.  That should be amusing. 

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"There's no arguing the Canucks have been competitive for quite some time, with a points percentage of .623 since 2002-03. Vancouver won the Presidents' Trophy back-to-back in 2011 and 2012, has won five straight division titles, and finished with at least 100 points four seasons in a row (and seven of nine) prior to last season, when the Canucks were 26-15-7 and the third seed in the Western Conference."

They took over the Sharks downward trend after dominating the Western Conference.

Forwards

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows

David Booth - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian

Chris Higgins - Brad Richardson - Jannik Hansen

Benn Ferriero - Mike Santorelli - Dale Weise

Tom Sestito - Zach Hamill

Defensemen

Alexander Edler - Kevin Bieksa

Dan Hamhuis - Jason Garrison

Frank Corrado - Christopher Tanev

Yannick Weber

Goalies

Roberto Luongo Eddie Lack

I'm not physically intimidated by this team, as a player, when I fly into Vancouver. The NHL writer thinks Hamill is the Canucks 14th best forward ?

Yikes

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I'm not physically intimidated by this team, as a player, when I fly into Vancouver. The NHL writer thinks Hamill is the Canucks 14th best forward ?

Yikes

Is Hamill now considered a journeyman player, San?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I'd say he's a journeyman.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

From 8th overall to journeyman.  Quite the drop.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Hamill is an AHL journeyman.  In the NHL?  Still a wannabe.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The overview suggests the Canucks are in tough this year, maybe even in tough to make the playoffs in a division with the Ducks, Sharks and Kings.  That seems like a stretch with the new rules.  Even if they finish behind the Cali teams, and Edmonton or Phoenix jump up and bump them to fifth, I could still see them crossing over ahead of the Jets or the Stars to fill that fourth spot behind the Hawks, Blues and Wild.  (Does the west look weaker to you?)

Then again, a lot is going to hinge on the projected second line.  If Kesler is a Selke candidate and a 40 goal guy, if Booth goes back to being a reliable, physical player and Kassian plays with enough discipline to kick in regular offense, then they look like a team with two pretty solid lines, two non-descript but professional lines, and a reasonable back end.  If Booth and Kesler aren't healthy and Kassian is a mirage, then they'll be desperate for Schroeder, Jensen or Gaunce to step up and score.  I don't think any of the guys listed on those bottom two lines can move up over a full season.

My guess is decent goaltending and veteran consistency from their top players keep them in the playoffs, but 3rd or 4th in the division. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

"There's no arguing the Canucks have been competitive for quite some time, with a points percentage of .623 since 2002-03. Vancouver won the Presidents' Trophy back-to-back in 2011 and 2012, has won five straight division titles, and finished with at least 100 points four seasons in a row (and seven of nine) prior to last season, when the Canucks were 26-15-7 and the third seed in the Western Conference."

They took over the Sharks downward trend after dominating the Western Conference.

Forwards

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Alexandre Burrows

David Booth - Ryan Kesler - Zack Kassian

Chris Higgins - Brad Richardson - Jannik Hansen

Benn Ferriero - Mike Santorelli - Dale Weise

Tom Sestito - Zach Hamill

Defensemen

Yannick Weber

Goalies

Roberto Luongo Eddie Lack

Yikes

San dog,

i said last year they were a one line team.   I dont see any type of improvement to that statement. In fact i think they are worse.   The only thing they have is a above avg goalie and some solid def.  torts will cram that trap into their heads so they will be decent.   But their window is long gone.  The trade the twins and kesler rumors will heat up soon enough.  I would deal the twins if the return was good enough.  Id make kesler the man and build a torts style team.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

The overview suggests the Canucks are in tough this year, maybe even in tough to make the playoffs in a division with the Ducks, Sharks and Kings.  That seems like a stretch with the new rules.  Even if they finish behind the Cali teams, and Edmonton or Phoenix jump up and bump them to fifth, I could still see them crossing over ahead of the Jets or the Stars to fill that fourth spot behind the Hawks, Blues and Wild.  (Does the west look weaker to you?)

Then again, a lot is going to hinge on the projected second line.  If Kesler is a Selke candidate and a 40 goal guy, if Booth goes back to being a reliable, physical player and Kassian plays with enough discipline to kick in regular offense, then they look like a team with two pretty solid lines, two non-descript but professional lines, and a reasonable back end.  If Booth and Kesler aren't healthy and Kassian is a mirage, then they'll be desperate for Schroeder, Jensen or Gaunce to step up and score.  I don't think any of the guys listed on those bottom two lines can move up over a full season.

My guess is decent goaltending and veteran consistency from their top players keep them in the playoffs, but 3rd or 4th in the division. 

BB, with this projection where do you think this places Gillis' status going in?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

[/QUOTE]

San dog,

i said last year they were a one line team.   I dont see any type of improvement to that statement. In fact i think they are worse.   The only thing they have is a above avg goalie and some solid def.  torts will cram that trap into their heads so they will be decent.   But their window is long gone.  The trade the twins and kesler rumors will heat up soon enough.  I would deal the twins if the return was good enough.  Id make kesler the man and build a torts style team.  

[/QUOTE]

I dont think Kesler can be the man they want/need him to be.  Honestly, if they dont make a big push id trade everyone i could and start fresh.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I would think Vancouver makes the playoffs, at least on the crossover - they're going to have a tougher time against the Cali teams, but they should at least grab a crossover or their own fourth spot - the Central isn't strong enough to finish with five teams better than the Canucks, and I can't see the Oilers, Coyotes or Flames pulling ahead of them in their own Division. Also I wouldn't automatically give the Wild third spot in the Central - I wasn't blown away by them last year and I think they took a step back in the off-season. Dallas or the Peg could push them for third in the Central.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

RHO - that's a good question.  I think this is his last coach.  The franchise has forked out to hire a veteran coach with a Cup on his resume.  Reading between the lines on the piece about the Canucks' top prospects, I'm guessing part of the argument was that it's cheaper to go with a Tortorella, who can make the most of the mixed bag of generic players they have, than find ways to upgrade the bottom 60% of the roster.  If it proves to be a bad fit, then the message is that they don't have the players to play either a run and gun skill game or a grind it out tough game.  And whose fault would that be?  If they make the playoffs, but go one and done, I could see ownership going another direction.  If they miss the playoffs because they start slowly then make a strong push where it looks like Tortorella is getting through, Gillis might survive until they can see which half of the season is a better read on what Gillis has built.  If they start strong and fade, or if they're in a swing spot at the deadline and Gillis makes more deals that don't help, I think he's gone

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that, if they take Davey's advice or shupe's, they won't let Gillis make the deals.  His trading has been horrible.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

San dog,

[/QUOTE]

I dont think Kesler can be the man they want/need him to be.  Honestly, if they dont make a big push id trade everyone i could and start fresh.

[/QUOTE]

Kelser has been hurt.  But i agree with you.   Not sure they really have any guy to build around.  I took kelser bc i think the players you could get in return could help immediately.  im thinking of a team like nyi Or how about philly.   

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

In response to DaveyN's comment:

[QUOTE]

San dog,

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Kelser has been hurt.  But i agree with you.   Not sure they really have any guy to build around.  I took kelser bc i think the players you could get in return could help immediately.  im thinking of a team like nyi Or how about philly.   

[/QUOTE]

Him on the Islanders would defintely be interesting!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Defensemen

Yannick Weber

If this is Torts's defense in March then I say they don't get into the playoffs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Blackhawks are up next. 

I've liked them for a while.  I respect the way they play and the combination of skills they have.  Still the team to beat in the West with a good, young core.  And they have a group of 21-24 year old prospects who could step in and contribute, which is probably why they dealt a few bottom six forwards.

For me, the big question with Chicago is always goaltending.  Crawford was great last year, almost played himself out of the league the year before.  I'd bet on this year being somewhere in between the two, especially with the new restrictions on thigh risers, but the question is whether he falls right in the middle of the two years, slips back just a bit, or drops right back to .903 or whatever it was.  Little questions like how Bickell performs as a top 6 regular, who ends up as the #2 C and whether Leddy develops or not aren't going to make that much of a difference for the Hawks.  They have options at C including moving Sharp there; Leddy is the #6D so he can be sheltered or replaced, and as the NHL.com guy points out, Saad will make sure Bickell doesn't get complacent.

Hawks are Western conference champs again.  Re-match!  Re-match!  Re-match!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Their only challenge would come from one of the three Cali teams most likely - by far and away the class of the Central, and with losing a strong team like Detroit and and up and coming team like Columbus, and then adding the Jets, Avs, Wild (Whom I'm not as impressed with as a lot of people seem to be) and the Stars, while keeping the weak Preds, well not only are they the class of the Conference, I expect them to im[prove on their fantastic record from last year. Not so much that they got better, but that their competition got worse.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:

From 8th overall to journeyman.  Quite the drop.

From number 8 overall to behind Tom Sesito on the depth chart.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"Hawks are Western conference champs again."

I hate them (not really) and I am not doing a reveiw of them becuase they are great.

Doopid Vince Vaughn!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

RHO - that's a good question.  I think this is his last coach.  The franchise has forked out to hire a veteran coach with a Cup on his resume.  Reading between the lines on the piece about the Canucks' top prospects, I'm guessing part of the argument was that it's cheaper to go with a Tortorella, who can make the most of the mixed bag of generic players they have, than find ways to upgrade the bottom 60% of the roster.  If it proves to be a bad fit, then the message is that they don't have the players to play either a run and gun skill game or a grind it out tough game.  And whose fault would that be?  If they make the playoffs, but go one and done, I could see ownership going another direction.  If they miss the playoffs because they start slowly then make a strong push where it looks like Tortorella is getting through, Gillis might survive until they can see which half of the season is a better read on what Gillis has built.  If they start strong and fade, or if they're in a swing spot at the deadline and Gillis makes more deals that don't help, I think he's gone

One thing I'm pretty sure of is that, if they take Davey's advice or shupe's, they won't let Gillis make the deals.  His trading has been horrible.

Hypothetical question, Book.  If you were Aquilini would you have shown Gillis the door this past off-season as Vigneault was or fashioned in your mind that 2013/14 is make-or-break for him?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

From number 8 overall to behind Tom Sesito on the depth chart.

Pretty much a career trajectory like this:

http://youtu.be/V6xqgWVgAok

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

RHO - probably.  That whole regime and the culture they've installed are embarrassing, and the moves he's made are all over the map.  Doesn't seem like he had a real plan and he panicked once the Bruins beat his team in their best shot.