NHL Penalty/Power Play rule tweeks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

NHL Penalty/Power Play rule tweeks

Don't be mislead by the title.  I'm not relaying that I hear they are looking at changing things.  This stems from the Ask Kevin Paul Dupont article in the globe, where he talks about how he has felt for years that the NHL should no longer allow teams to ice the puck on the penalty kill.  

He argued that there would be an increase in goals, both ways.  Obviously more for the team on the PP if the other team can't just sling it down the ice, but also more for the shorthanded team, because they would have to take more chances skating the other way when they do get possession.

It got me thinking, which side of that argument do I come down on?  Then I realized.....it's neither.  Because what I really would like to see is the elimination of Powerplays all together

I don't like man advantage situations.  I know, you need to have penalties.  And the man advantage is strong punishment, designed to keep teams more honest, but I think the rules could be tweeked to where you don't ever have to have a 5-4, 4-3 or 5-3 situation, slanting the outcome of games

What if.....

- All minor penalties were 5 minutes long.  That player is gone for 5 minutes. You have to work around him for a shift or two, but it stays 5 on 5

- All major penalties are 10 minutes.  Now you really have to work around the guy.  But it still stays 5 on 5.

- Fighting is no longer a major.  Two willing combatants get a minor.....though it is still 5 minutes, as are all minors now.  Only dirty plays like boarding, head hunting hits, unsportman like conduct etc. will be majors

- Any combination of 3 minors, two majors or one major and one minor and you're gone for the game

This way, individual players will still pay the price for their actions and the team will suffer a bit, because they will have to go awhile without them, messing up the lines a bit, and extra shifting people.  But it will always be a 5 on 5 game. Straight up hockey, no advantage either way.  Both teams skating up and down the ice for 60 minutes.  May the best team win

What do ya think?.......you hate it, don't you?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: NHL Penalty/Power Play rule tweeks

Yes I hate it.  I think the biggest deterrent for players to taking penalties is the fact they know their team will be shorthanded, and thus at a big disadvantage (except for the B's so far this season!). This fact keeps the players as honest as possible.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Just call the goddamn dives already.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

I read your suggestions and just... No....

That just sounds like basketball. It would lead to a huge increase in minor penalties and huge decrease in scoring.

Not allowing the PK team to ice the puck Im on the fence about. I mean I played PK alot in my day and not being able to ice the puck on a 5-3 would just be..... Horrifying.

On the other hand I get the arguement that the PK team would have to skate the puck more and etc.. IDK.

I think if they do anything to icing rules they need to add no touch icing at all times at least.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: NHL Penalty/Power Play rule tweeks:
    [QUOTE]I read your suggestions and just... No.... That just sounds like basketball. It would lead to a huge increase in minor penalties and huge decrease in scoring. Not allowing the PK team to ice the puck Im on the fence about. I mean I played PK alot in my day and not being able to ice the puck on a 5-3 would just be..... Horrifying. On the other hand I get the arguement that the PK team would have to skate the puck more and etc.. IDK. I think if they do anything to icing rules they need to add no touch icing at all times at least.
    Posted by I-Like-Hockey[/QUOTE]

See I actually don't think you would see more minors commited

If a player knew he would go for 5 minutes and if he got mulitple penalties called on him he could essentially foul out of the game, he may be less inclined to hook or trip or interfere with the opposing player, or leave his stick up recklessly where it could catch somone in the face

The team wouldn't be short handed, but that player would be sitting a lot and if he kept it up, he would be gone from the game.  That seems like a pretty good deterrent to me

And yes, under rules like this, diving would have to be stressed much more

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dave24. Show Dave24's posts

I don't have a problem if they enforce icing on the PK, indifferent one way or the other. What I'd like to see change:

Team can decide on a penalty shot call if they want the penalty shot or would rather have the offending player serve a penalty. If the infraction is judged to be flagrant, they get both the penalty shot and the PP.

Change the delay of game penalty for shooting a puck out of play to have the same result as an icing - faceoff in the offender's defensive zone with no line change allowed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fryboy05262. Show fryboy05262's posts

How about if they treat a penalty like an icing?  You lock the bench doors and the line that was just out there when the penalty was called has to start on the pk minus whichever player(s) committed the penalty.  I would also like to see all high sticking penalties be an automatic double minor.  I think there are way too many guess that are careless with their sticks and too many times I've seen guys bleeding, but the extra 2 isn't called.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

I agree on the high sticks.  It should be an automatic 4 minute double.  I dont in any way, shape or form agree with the original post though.  Im fine with the way things are, just wish the DIVE was actually CALLED!  Goddamn refs are clueless out there.  You cant tell me that these PROFESSIONALS go down that easy when someone stick-checks them.  Some look like theyve never skated before.