NHL Players should not participate in the olympics

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from riptide757. Show riptide757's posts

Re: NHL Players should not participate in the olympics

In response to mxt's comment:

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to riptide757's comment:

NHL PLAYERS SHOULD NOT BE COMPETING IN THE OLYMPICS PERIOD. i can give you 10 reasons for why they shouldn't for every one reason why you believe they should.........

Okay, let's do it.

1.  The pros want to play in the Olympics.

2.  People want to see their best players playing for their country.

3.  It's different and super exciting.

4.  Guys from different NHL teams play together for their country.  It's like an All-Star game that actually matters.

5.  It gives many fans a reason to be interested in teams other than USA, Canada and Russia.

6.  It can lessen the blowouts between powerful teams and lesser lights.

7.  USA vs. Canada for the Gold with the pros is about as epic as a hockey game can get.  And keep in mind, I haven't used the word "epic" in many years.  I'm not just throwing that around.  It really is.

8.  It pits teammates against each other, creating more interesting storylines.

9.  Slovakia has a chance to win a few games.

10.  Players can be more associated with their countries.

Okay, that's 10.

You're up for 100 reasons why it's a bad idea.

You get the picture, right?

You only need one reason. It creates a two week break in the middle of a pro sports season, which is idiot. Let the kids play like it used to be. Who cares what the other countries do. God forbid someone like Crosby suffers a career ending injury. Betcha the NHL would stop participating if that happened.

Ok lets do it? ok

Your 1 through 10 are all pretty irrelevant as it pertains to thread. here is five reasons that totally obliterates you irrelevant 10 reasons by light years.

1 - INJURIES! This first reason alone obliterates all 10 of your irrelevant reasons.

2 - Late season fatiuge. clearly affects the Bruins more than any team at this point in time {see initial nesn article}

3 - Your two top center iceman - your number 1 D man - your number 1 Goalie all playing against each other in possible all out playoff tempo medal games . NOT GOOD, Krecjci facing off against Bergeron in a medal game? very exciting but terrible for the Bruins long term. Chara trying to kill Krejci? Erickson? NOT GOOD.

4 - Throw in your head coach who should home game planning but instead coaching against his own top players in possible all out playoff tempo games. NOT GOOD, may as well throw in the Bruins mascot and hot dog vender while your at it! 

5 - Prevents younger players from show casing their talent.

Make no mistake, as person who loves all hockey like I'm sure you do and most posters here do i fully understand the intruguing aspect of nhl players competing in the olympics, but my focus is first and foremost on the Bruins. lets face it, the Bruins have a better than ligit shot at another Stanley Cup appearence, and besides the players themselves pretty much nobody cares who wins the olympics, great teams and seasons like this are rare and need to be utilized to the fullest. there is no next year! only this year, now! 2014

I would bet the house the Bruins brass is in full agreement with me on this one...........

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

In response to wallydouglas' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Zinga this staement confuses me.

The only reason hockey fans in Canada are all giddy is because their NHL teams cant win chit

Im Canadian, Im a hockey Fan i have been a Bs fan for over 50 years and when the olympics role around I am all canadian fan, its part of our heritage. What makes us any different than you ? As far as Canadian teams cant win chit well why is it a large majority of us Bs fans cringe when they play MTL, Vancouver and so on ?

[/QUOTE]

I never said that. I was criticizing the op. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Zinga_zinga. Show Zinga_zinga's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Zinga_zinga's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

And this is why.............http://nesn.com/2013/12/bruins-recent-injuries-involvement-in-olympics-could-hurt-chances-of-late-season-playoff-success/

The only reason hockey fans in Canada are all giddy is because their NHL teams cant win chit.

SCREW THE OLYMPICS, IT'S A JOKE

That's my opinion and am sticking to it

[/QUOTE]

You aren't a real fan of hockey if you do not want NHL players in the olympics. The last olympics were fantastic.

[/QUOTE]

Stupid post: a real hockey fan? the majority of hockey fans agree with me.

The olympic tournament probably hurts the Bruins more than any other team. and nobody gives a chit wht country wins. based on those facts i submit your not a real Bruins fan...........

[/QUOTE]

How is what I said stupid? Book said what I meant better though. 

I'm a Bruins fan but I also love to watch great hockey. I'm also American and my friends as well get excited for the Olympics as well.

haven't even heard people complaining about nhl players being in olympics on talk radio. So I don't know where this all Americans don't want them playing in olympics whining is about.

There are other contenders who have as much risk in regards to the Olympics as well. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Of course the Bruin brass isn't thrilled.  No other league executive is either.  Why would they be?

It baffles me though, as to why anyone would try and sell as fact,,,the Olympics will hurt the Bruins more than anyone else.  The Bruins greatest strength is balance, depth.  There's compelling evidence to suggest negative possibilities work in the B's favour.  

I understand that some are more interested in the NHL.  Now that most of the worlds best players are in fact professionals, I wouldn't mind seeing it revert back, as it would be a more level playing field than it used to be, and of course we'd be able to watch both, Olympic hockey and the NHL regular season.  The fact that it's the 'worlds best' though, gets diluted, and that's really why it's so big now.

Don't think it's at all about the Canadians either.  Outside of NA, the Olympics are even bigger. The players really want to play.  Unless that changes, I think they'll be back next time around.  

Til it can be proven it's costing the league, I can see them giving into the players.  Gives, the owners more negotiation in other more important fiscal area's.

The NHL is more about money than hockey.  I'm glad most of these pros still want to do something for free.

My pet peeve....the All-Star break.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bgrif008. Show bgrif008's posts

Im not a fan of the NHL players playing and rarely watch olympic hockey. It doesnt excite me. The biggest reason was the big ice. I know they went to NHL size rinks last olympics and not sure if that will remain. Anyway, it just takes away from the NHL season. Id rather watch the Bruins. Not a fan of the All Star Break either. Again, it takes away from the regular season. Also, if the games are played while I am at work or asleep, then thats another reason I dont watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to bgrif008's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Im not a fan of the NHL players playing and rarely watch olympic hockey. It doesnt excite me. The biggest reason was the big ice. I know they went to NHL size rinks last olympics and not sure if that will remain. Anyway, it just takes away from the NHL season. Id rather watch the Bruins. Not a fan of the All Star Break either. Again, it takes away from the regular season. Also, if the games are played while I am at work or asleep, then thats another reason I dont watch.

[/QUOTE]

This is my sentiments also, i'll watch the Olympic hockey because i enjoy watching the game and that will be all there is to watch for 2 weeks but my true love is the B's and watching NHL hockey. This was my feelings when non NHL'ers were playing and is the same now.If the NHL doesn't go to South Korea or wherever the next Olympics are, it won't hurt my feelings. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to stevegm's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Of course the Bruin brass isn't thrilled.  No other league executive is either.  Why would they be?

It baffles me though, as to why anyone would try and sell as fact,,,the Olympics will hurt the Bruins more than anyone else.  The Bruins greatest strength is balance, depth.  There's compelling evidence to suggest negative possibilities work in the B's favour.  

I understand that some are more interested in the NHL.  Now that most of the worlds best players are in fact professionals, I wouldn't mind seeing it revert back, as it would be a more level playing field than it used to be, and of course we'd be able to watch both, Olympic hockey and the NHL regular season.  The fact that it's the 'worlds best' though, gets diluted, and that's really why it's so big now.

Don't think it's at all about the Canadians either.  Outside of NA, the Olympics are even bigger. The players really want to play.  Unless that changes, I think they'll be back next time around.  

Til it can be proven it's costing the league, I can see them giving into the players.  Gives, the owners more negotiation in other more important fiscal area's.

The NHL is more about money than hockey.  I'm glad most of these pros still want to do something for free.

My pet peeve....the All-Star break.

[/QUOTE]

Actually I'd say it's much less about the Canadians than it is about the Russians, Finns, Swedes and Czechs. Those are the countries where Olympic Gold is the be all and end all - The Cup's an after thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

For Canadians kids growing up and playing hockey in their back yard rinks and playing road hockey, when they would dream of scoring the game winning goal, it was always in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Final overtime, not the Oympic gold medal winning game. Its just the way it is for Canadian hockey players, the Stanley cup is everything.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

For Canadians kids growing up and playing hockey in their back yard rinks and playing road hockey, when they would dream of scoring the game winning goal, it was always in the 7th game of the Stanley Cup Final overtime, not the Oympic gold medal winning game. Its just the way it is for Canadian hockey players, the Stanley cup is everything.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but ask that same question of the Sedins, Lidstrom, Ovie, Lundqvist, Krejci, Kopitar etc. A lot of those players would have been imagining getting an Olympic gold medal hung around their necks when they were playing on their backyard rinks

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah but ask that same question of the Sedins, Lidstrom, Ovie, Lundqvist, Krejci, Kopitar etc. A lot of those players would have been imagining getting an Olympic gold medal hung around their necks when they were playing on their backyard rinks

[/QUOTE]

Or the World Championships, very big for European players, not so much for Canadians.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

[QUOTE]

Or the World Championships, very big for European players, not so much for Canadians.

[/QUOTE]

True, except for one particular group of Canadian hockey players - then it's all about Olympic gold.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

True, except for one particular group of Canadian hockey players - then it's all about Olympic gold.

[/QUOTE]

I think i know which group you speak of. ;-)