Re: Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.
posted at 10/18/2013 5:03 AM EDT
Watched this hit several times,....the culture just has to change. Seeing someone down on the ice like that turns peoples stomach.
The hit wasn't particularly predatory, but hits don't have to be anymore to almost kill. The aggressive culture of "taking out your man" is the same as it's always been, but we have several issues making that part of the game more dangerous.
1. players don't defend themselves/keep their head up like they used to.
2. the game is a ton faster.
3. the players are a ton stronger.
4. the players are a ton bigger.
5. in many ways, there is less respect
6. although virtually all equipment is light years ahead of where it was 25 years ago, it's also much more dangerous to the 9 guys on the ice "not" wearing it. Oddly, helmet technology is stuck in the 70's.
7. the leagues current strategy regarding player safety is doing absolutely squat, with the exception of increasing public awareness of the games most distateful elements. The whole Shanahan/explanation/circus/how many games will he get debate, is supplanting hi-lite reels.
There are very few villans here...just several issues in play, that need addressed before someone dies. If someone doesn't step up, the knee-jerks certainly will, and they'll dictate how the game will be played moving forward.