Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

WTL, you have a phone hearing with Shanny for deliberate attempt to burn.

[/QUOTE]

And it seemed 'predatory' to me too...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Re: Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

WTL, you have a phone hearing with Shanny for deliberate attempt to burn.

[/QUOTE]

And it seemed 'predatory' to me too...

[/QUOTE]

I was hoping for an in-person hearing. I wanted to see the Shanny random wheel o suspension for myself. I was going to ask if I could give it a spin. I'm picturing something pretty elaborate with lights and bells and stuff.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Kronwall owning the fact he put himself in a bad spot has everything to do with the fact that he blows guys up himself.  He knows the fine line from the other side.  And even with the "victim" commenting that this was not straightforward, "Player Safety" gives McLeod 5?  Not great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

I've never thought of Shanahan as particularly bright. But maybe I've got it wrong. Perhaps he's adopted the brilliant strategy of being so random and inconsistent in what merits a penalty from his office that players will eventually stop doing anything that is even questionable??? Either that or they will be so confused that we'll continue to get what we're getting now.

Has anyone taken a look to see if head shots, hits from behind into the boards, etc. and resulting injuries have gone up or down during Shanny's reign of random? I don't feel like they've gone down but I could be wrong there.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

Five seems like too much when even Kronwall acknowledges it was "mostly [his] fault."  Big wheel keep on turnin', Proud Shanny keep on burnin'.

I just watched it again because what I remembered was the split second course correction by McLeod in response to Kronwall's move.  I honestly do no know what they want McLeod to do there except maybe reduce the force of the check.  Shanahan says he followed his numbers in, and that's true, but he also took an angle where, if Kronwall doesn't choose to double back, McLeod hits him shoulder to shoulder.  When he corrects his course, McLeod aims in front of Kronwall to seal him off so he can't turn around and start the play up ice - basically, good forechecking.  If McLeod flies by there, he's not in the league to suspend and another guy who will finish Kronwall is, so that's not an option for either side.  If he doesn't correct course to deal with Kronwall's move, and the Wings break out and score, he's in the AHL in a week.  Tough to hammer a guy with no record of malice for 5 games on this.

I get that Krownwall should be able to stop, change direction, etc.  and if that's all he did to make himself vulnerable at the last minute, I don't think there's an incident here.  But he dips down, and he keeps his back to the check to shield the puck.  If he simply stops or changes direction, like you see dozens of times every night, McLeod's angle would have taken him to the front of Kronwall's front shoulder.  No hit from behind.  As it is, he barely hits the body at all - hardly "right in the numbers".

A guy in a vulnerable position should never be "fair game" - though for years, Scott Stevens dined out on blowing up guys in a vulnerable position - but I really dislike guys putting them in vulnerable positions to gain a competitive advantage, and that's what Kronwall did here in trying to shake McLeod.  I don't think he did it the way a Ribiero would - sneeringly, with a "can't hit me, I'm vulnerable" grin - but I would hate guys to go around racking up points because they use the defensive players' respect as a weapon against them.  There's a lot of that in pro sports now - if you're not a bloodthirsty gladiator, you're a wuss who should be taken advantage of.

[/QUOTE]

"Big wheel keep on turnin', proud Shanny keep on burnin, suspendin' suspendin', 5 games in the sin bin" "Yeah" !! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Ok, now I will say the hit was caused by Kronwall who changed his position at the last moment of the play.  The problem though is not the incident but the lack of respect for the player with the puck.  He is god in the "NFL west coast" mantra now adopted by the NHL (sarcasm).  Please give up the trapezod! It was created before the "New NHL" against Marty!  Now with hybrid icing it is only logical to eliminate the dumb ruling!  Let the goalie play on the ice.  Oh by the way, the goalie is a player outside the blue!