Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/niklas-kronwall-checked-behind-cody-mcleod-leaves-game-013658369--nhl.html

Shanahan is busy this week.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Re: Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

If Kronwall just kept skating and didn't put the brakes on, he's free and clear.  But because he stops and tries to change direction, he gets crushed.  To me, he has to take a bit of the blame.  Should be a few games for McLeod though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

Re: Niklas Kronwall checked from behind by Cody McLeod, leaves game on stretcher.

In response to hangnail's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Kronwall just kept skating and didn't put the brakes on, he's free and clear.  But because he stops and tries to change direction, he gets crushed.  To me, he has to take a bit of the blame.  Should be a few games for McLeod though.

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree 100% Kronwalls fault here. Like why do a move like that, you know the guy is coming. You can't blame Mcleod here at all Kronwall turns last second towards Mcleod head first. Mcleod was looking for a shoulder hit him you can see the angle he was aiming for the shoulder also. Shouldn't get suspended here imo.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

I think he'll get  a few games due to direct contact with the head

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You can stop skating at any point without fear of getting destroyed.

McLeod is worthless.

Throw these guys out of the league and let the boys play hockey.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

In response to G4ck5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Totally agree 100% Kronwalls fault here. Like why do a move like that, you know the guy is coming. You can't blame Mcleod here at all Kronwall turns last second towards Mcleod head first. Mcleod was looking for a shoulder hit him you can see the angle he was aiming for the shoulder also. Shouldn't get suspended here imo.

[/QUOTE]

Ridiculous.  A defenseman cant change direction in his own corner?  Forechecker had his numbers in front of him the whole time; he has to hold up on a check from behind.

Definite suspension.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ridiculous.  A defenseman cant change direction in his own corner?  Forechecker had his numbers in front of him the whole time; he has to hold up on a check from behind.

Definite suspension.

[/QUOTE]

Also ridiculous: 

You posting here after your TMI meltdown and promise never to return.

Beat it.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

McLeod has to try and hold up a bit there but Kronwall can't get that low putting his head on the same level as the dasher w/ someone bearing down on him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from stevegm. Show stevegm's posts

Watched this hit several times,....the culture just has to change.  Seeing someone down on the ice like that turns peoples stomach.

The hit wasn't particularly predatory, but hits don't have to be anymore to almost kill.  The aggressive culture of "taking out your man" is the same as it's always been, but we have several issues making that part of the game more dangerous.

1.  players don't defend themselves/keep their head up like they used to.

2. the game is a ton faster.

3.  the players are a ton stronger.

4. the players are a ton bigger.

5. in many ways, there is less respect

6. although virtually all equipment is light years ahead of where it was 25 years ago, it's also much more dangerous to the 9 guys on the ice "not" wearing it.  Oddly, helmet technology is stuck in the 70's.

7. the leagues current strategy regarding player safety is doing absolutely squat, with the exception of increasing public awareness of the games most distateful elements.  The whole Shanahan/explanation/circus/how many games will he get debate, is supplanting hi-lite reels.

There are very few villans here...just several issues in play, that need addressed before someone dies.  If someone doesn't step up, the knee-jerks certainly will, and they'll dictate how the game will be played moving forward. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Getting to be a nightly event.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from G4ck5. Show G4ck5's posts

In response to SoxFanInIL's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to G4ck5's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Definite suspension.

[/QUOTE]

What is more ridiclous is that he doesn't think this hit is coming first of all or that he is trying to avoid the hit completly ...... how did that work out? Kronwalls fault 100%

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Looked awful from my seat, but after finally watching the replay at home, I do think that McLeod my get some lenience for the last second move by Kronwall.  Still a bad hit, but it's tough to come in full speed on the forecheck and react to these things.

McLeod isn't really a goon, and the guy has enough skill to be a useful piece on the Avs.  He's seen PP time, PK time, and bounces up to the top two lines every now and then.  Bordeleau is the useless goon on that team.

Thank God the Sox won last night so I had something to taunt all of the Detriot fans about...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[QUOTE] Looked awful from my seat, but after finally watching the replay at home, I do think that McLeod my get some lenience for the last second move by Kronwall.  Still a bad hit, but it's tough to come in full speed on the forecheck and react to these things.

McLeod isn't really a goon, and the guy has enough skill to be a useful piece on the Avs.  He's seen PP time, PK time, and bounces up to the top two lines every now and then.  Bordeleau is the useless goon on that team.

Thank God the Sox won last night so I had something to taunt all of the Detriot fans about...[/QUOTE]

Napoli! Napoli! Napoli!

Mcleod had plenty of time to see where Kronwall was...plenty.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:[QUOTE] Looked awful from my seat, but after finally watching the replay at home, I do think that McLeod my get some lenience for the last second move by Kronwall.  Still a bad hit, but it's tough to come in full speed on the forecheck and react to these things.

Thank God the Sox won last night so I had something to taunt all of the Detriot fans about...[/QUOTE]

Napoli! Napoli! Napoli!

Mcleod had plenty of time to see where Kronwall was...plenty.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I don't know why he finishes the check.  Definitely could have let up.  3 games?

It was nice being surrounding by Red Wings fans at the bar afterwards and starting the "Let's go Red...(wait for it) Sox!".  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

It was nice being surrounding by Red Wings fans at the bar afterwards and starting the "Let's go Red...(wait for it) Sox!".  

[/QUOTE]

There were a few "Let's go Red Sox" chants at the BB&T last night.  At one stoppage of play, they put the 4-0 update on the main scoreboard and the place went wild.

So, so odd.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

He coasts into kronwall, you can see hes looking right at him and doesnt push off on his hit, it was a bad decision for kronwall to turn back Unfortunately the contact to the head, intent or not will get a suspension, but i dont see any more than 3 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

There were a few "Let's go Red Sox" chants at the BB&T last night.  At one stoppage of play, they put the 4-0 update on the main scoreboard and the place went wild.

So, so odd.

[/QUOTE]

The Detroit fans were just brutal last night.  Tons of 'em, and a loud obnoxious bunch.  I'm not even a big Avs fan (my 2nd team obviously) but it was nice to be able to fall back on the Sox and have something to taunt them about after the game.  

That, and the government propped-up bankrupt sesspool dump they call home...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

McLeod promised a sick kid he visited at the hospital before the game he would push Kronwall's head through the camera hole in the glass. Almost did it too.

I'm guessing 3 games from the shanny random wheel o' suspension. First time offender.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"shanny random wheel o' suspension"

Great description WTL!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

In-person hearing, looks like Shanny is going to lower the boom on him.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

In-person hearing, looks like Shanny is going to lower the boom on him.

[/QUOTE]

Hang - you were right. 5 games for a first-timer. Yikes!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Five seems like too much when even Kronwall acknowledges it was "mostly [his] fault."  Big wheel keep on turnin', Proud Shanny keep on burnin'.

I just watched it again because what I remembered was the split second course correction by McLeod in response to Kronwall's move.  I honestly do no know what they want McLeod to do there except maybe reduce the force of the check.  Shanahan says he followed his numbers in, and that's true, but he also took an angle where, if Kronwall doesn't choose to double back, McLeod hits him shoulder to shoulder.  When he corrects his course, McLeod aims in front of Kronwall to seal him off so he can't turn around and start the play up ice - basically, good forechecking.  If McLeod flies by there, he's not in the league to suspend and another guy who will finish Kronwall is, so that's not an option for either side.  If he doesn't correct course to deal with Kronwall's move, and the Wings break out and score, he's in the AHL in a week.  Tough to hammer a guy with no record of malice for 5 games on this.

I get that Krownwall should be able to stop, change direction, etc.  and if that's all he did to make himself vulnerable at the last minute, I don't think there's an incident here.  But he dips down, and he keeps his back to the check to shield the puck.  If he simply stops or changes direction, like you see dozens of times every night, McLeod's angle would have taken him to the front of Kronwall's front shoulder.  No hit from behind.  As it is, he barely hits the body at all - hardly "right in the numbers".

A guy in a vulnerable position should never be "fair game" - though for years, Scott Stevens dined out on blowing up guys in a vulnerable position - but I really dislike guys putting them in vulnerable positions to gain a competitive advantage, and that's what Kronwall did here in trying to shake McLeod.  I don't think he did it the way a Ribiero would - sneeringly, with a "can't hit me, I'm vulnerable" grin - but I would hate guys to go around racking up points because they use the defensive players' respect as a weapon against them.  There's a lot of that in pro sports now - if you're not a bloodthirsty gladiator, you're a wuss who should be taken advantage of.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

Also, Shanny gave a 3-gamer to the boards that crunched Trouba's face.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

WTL, you have a phone hearing with Shanny for deliberate attempt to burn.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Really surprised at 5 games for a first time offender.  I do think McLeod could have let up, but sheesh they're making it hard on guys who forecheck for a living by expecting them instantly recognize players who suddenly put themselves in bad spots and peel off, to the disappointment of a packed house.

As a former checking line winger with stone hands, I do sympathize with McLeod.  The building has rivalry buzz to it three minutes into the game and you're chasing Kronwall into the corner -- this is your game, you're chance to make an impact.  You've gotta put a hit on him, fire up the crowd, get some momentum, force a turnover.  Its why you're out there.  As Book describes, it has to come as a surprise that Kronwall cuts back and turns his back to you on the boards.  Suddenly McLeod is left the decision to finish the check, slam on the brakes and hit him lightly, or miss him all together and hope you can get back defensively.  

Yes, he should have braked and just pinned him into the boards instead of finishing him, but 5 games seems like an awfully harsh call for what is becoming an incredibly fine line for a forechecker (with a clean record).  Good on Kronwall for taking his share of the blame -- you don't see that often.