No 2011 Cup

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: No 2011 Cup

I just saw him as a free agent who didn't produce against Buffalo in Round 2 (who did against Hasek in that series?), and Sinden scapegoated him because he was due for a contract. Same old routine.

He actually had 2 goals in the 5 games, if I remember correctly.

I am not sure he was the most talented player.

Allison was underrated, too. 

If not for Oates and now Savard, he might be the best passer I have seen here, all due to respect to Barry Pederson.

And of course, Bourque.

Samsonov was also very talented.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup:
    [QUOTE]I just saw him as a free agent who didn't produce against Buffalo in Round 2 (who did against Hasek in that series?), and Sinden scapegoated him because he was due for a contract. Same old routine. I am not sure he was the most talented player. Allison was underrated, too.  If not for Oates and now Savard, he might be the best passer I have seen here, all due to respect to Barry Pederson. And of course, Bourque. Samsonov was also very talented.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

I don't know BB, I hated Sinden at the time, but I thought the scapegoating of Khristich was totally warranted after that series.  He was brutal.  And I believe he was their leading scorer in the regular season (him or Allison).

And worse than his actual play was his demeanor -- he looked totally indifferent, unengaged, listless, afraid to get hit.  I'm telling you, I will never forget yelling at the tv about him all through that series.  It was every negative stereotype of Eastern European players wilting in the playoffs come to fruition.  I think you're forgetting how bad he was (for someone with so much talent).

Sinden would swarmed with criticism if he gave Khristich a contract after that.

I liked Rosey and Juneau.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I don't have the issue dealing him off while his stock was high.  But, really, no one was getting the puck by Hasek that year anyway.

It's just another example of a player sort of outproducing his worth coming in, because Harry liked the cheap player with upside, and then when it came time to pay, they'd use any excuse in the book to focus on the one player who produced and then may have not been as good.

Translation: "You are the scapegoat because we want the fans to still buy our tickets next year and we lost another early round playoff series even though, deep down, we know we didn't build a legit playoff team."

This is why he was continously filling holes here, over there, and over there.  Poor formula and he was the puppet for Jacobs, as we know.

Not trying to sidetrack the thread. Just explaining why I disagree.  I would rather focus on the larger picture than just pretend one player blew it.

It's sort of like Chia drafting Kessel. You knew the knocks on him coming in, so why did you draft him if he didn't fit what you wanted? Now, Seguin and his Toronto draft pick need to pan out.  Hopefully, they will.

I am not going to toss a player based on one bad/subpar series if the overall picture is strong.

Like Moog in '93. The whole team was poor in Round 1 against Buffalo, but Moog got shipped out.

In that case, sure, it was the right move to get value back on a Khristich because we all know they really weren't good enough to make a legit run anyway.

Dafoe would have had to have morphed into Giguere circa 2003 to be able to pull that off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Allison was leading scorer, Kristich led in goals.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxFanInIL. Show SoxFanInIL's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : If Roloson/Smith, Price/Auld, Varlamov/Neuvirth, Bobrovsky/Boucher and Lundqvist/Biron with their vast intense playoff experience beat Thomas/Rask in a seven game series then I owe you an attaboy for seeing something I cannot see. Stamkos, St. Louis, Richards and Briere are on the ice for 22 minutes a game on average. Goalies play the whole game 60 minutes...
    Posted by SanDogBrewin[/QUOTE]

Respectfully,

Michael Leighton was on the ice for the Stanley Cup winning goal last summer.  Neither Flyer goalie could make the Bruins' roster. The guy at the other end of the ice was considered the team's "weakness" and was allowed to walk away in the off-season because he was set to make less than half what Tim Thomas makes.  Both Hawks' goalies would have been playing in Providence if they were here.

Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo were playing golf while Brian Boucher and Halak continued their playoff runs.

I'm always a huge goalie-guy, but the fact is the trend in the NHL does not support goalies = Cups.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : Respectfully, Michael Leighton was on the ice for the Stanley Cup winning goal last summer.  Neither Flyer goalie could make the Bruins' roster. The guy at the other end of the ice was considered the team's "weakness" and was allowed to walk away in the off-season because he was set to make less than half what Tim Thomas makes.  Both Hawks' goalies would have been playing in Providence if they were here. Ryan Miller and Roberto Luongo were playing golf while Brian Boucher and Halak continued their playoff runs. I'm always a huge goalie-guy, but the fact is the trend in the NHL does not support goalies = Cups.
    Posted by SoxFanInIL[/QUOTE]

Forced to agree. In rare circumstances (se: Dryden, Ken: 1971) a goalie can win a Cup for a team. He surely can lose a playoff series for a team. But overall I'll take the better offenses/defenses with a "B" goalie than an "A" goalie with the "B" fwds and D-men.

(Prove me wrong, Timmy....prove me wrong!)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : No question they have a shot at winning it all. If I thought their chances were 0%  I couldn't bear to watch. For Fletch1 and Dez (and btw, dez--please...I don't mind your visceral reaction to yet another post of mine saying there are too many other teams in the east that are better than Boston, but i wish you'd give me at least a little credit and not accuse me of being a double poster...I only mentioned it b/c Wally posted something I agreed w/about 90%).... my point is that if I had to lay $$$ down and were dis-passionate about the outcome, my money would still be on the teams w/the biggest offensive threats and the deepest level of talent....a lot of those teams happen to be loaded this year, and I think they reside in Philly, Tampa, Vancouver, Detroit, and maybe even San Jose..... I guess everyone who jumps all over any post saying the B's won't win it all (NOT including Bookboy here, who always makes a good point w/out rancor even when he disagrees) isn't paying attention to the most important part, so I'll put it in caps: I REALLY LIKE THEMOVES THIS TEAM HAS MADE....I BELIEVE IN MGT. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG TIME, AND AM THRILLED THEY DIDN'T GET RID OF GUYS LIKE KREJCI AND THE TROONTO PICK EVEN THO' THERE MUST HAVE BEEN TEMPTING OFFERS TO DO SO. That I don't think it's enough to go all the way doesn't make me a hater. I kind of wish people would see that and respect it for what it is. Simply put: I think the Bruins are a very good team that will not be able to get past what I feel are great ones...some of which happen to be in their own conference. again--if the B's are even playing in the conference finals, I will be glad and a bit surprised. I also think the future looks even better.  Does that really make me public enemy #1? 
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    Sorry,just yankin' your chain after you said it.I never truly thought you double post.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : Sorry,just yankin' your chain after you said it.I never truly thought you double post.
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

No worries, Dez. I probly should have picked up on the sarcasm....in any event...Go Bruins! Would be sweet to come home w/a perfect 6-0 road trip after the Sens game tonight.

Just curious, if I have your ear for a minute: Ideally, which team would you want to see the B's face in Round 1?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : No worries, Dez. I probly should have picked up on the sarcasm....in any event...Go Bruins! Would be sweet to come home w/a perfect 6-0 road trip after the Sens game tonight. Just curious, if I have your ear for a minute: Ideally, which team would you want to see the B's face in Round 1?
    Posted by TryToBearIt[/QUOTE]
    Like you,I don't think Boston is a clear favourite over anyone but I think the Habs or Canes would be my preferred matchups.The Habs no longer hold any mystique for me so I don't fear them at all.Unbelieveable parity in the league right now.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TryToBearIt. Show TryToBearIt's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No 2011 Cup : I think you seriously over estimate some of the other teams in the east. earlier in the thread you mentioned that the Bs might have trouble with teams like the caps, the habs, or NYR. these are three teams that i think the bruins would blow out of the water. The caps don't have a number one d man. get pucks deep behind the D and the game is won. The habs just don't have an depth that worries me, and the rangers, well, i have no idea how they are still in the playoff picture. Philly is good for sure, but they aren't overly scary. They haven't played well against the elite teams in the league. Tampa is a good team, but again, no depth, and no number 1 d man. There a reason TSN has the bruins as the highest ranked team in the east. My guess is that the Bs face tampa in the second round, and that will be one heck of a series.
    Posted by pbergeron37[/QUOTE]

The Rangers are currently in 7th place, 3 points ahead of Buffalo and a point ahead of the Canes. As long as they have Lunqvist I believe they are a legitimate threat, and I think they will make the playoffs, altho' the injury to gaborik definitely hurts....but McCabe was not a bad pick up and unlike the rangers of old they play a very hard, tough style that could be trouble for any team that takes them lightly in a 7game series.

Pretty sure Green is a #1 defenseman in Wash., and it would flat out foolish to underestimate any team anchored by #8....the pick up of Arnott was also a good one that gives them depth and despite his tendency for miscues in his own end, Wideman can still skate, shoot, pass and score, so the Caps have even more offensive weapons in their arsenal than before.

The Habs just scare me. I admit the Bruins SHOULD beat them. I think the Bruins are the better team. I just hate what usually happens when they meet in the playoffs.

All this said (and I added TB to the list of teams I'd worry about) the Bruins CAN beat any of these teams. I just don't have as much assured confidence as many on this forum do...most people seem to be un-afraid of ANY of these teams--MAYBE philly--and I just don;'t see it that way. I think for the B's to advance to the promised land they're going to need to play excellent, hard-working hockey and display a killer instinct to put teams away that they have not in the recent past.

And I reiterate I really like the moves PC has made to shore up this squad. It's all up to them now. You won't hear me b*tching about Mgt. this time around.