No 50 goal scorers this year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chowdahkid-. Show Chowdahkid-'s posts

No 50 goal scorers this year?

Good chance that this might happen with only 3 players with 40 or more goals and 15 players in the 30's. The NHL has become such a systematic defensive league. The league's post lockout rule changes haven't had the desired effect of creating more goals. 

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app?component=completeGoalLeadersList&page=statshome&service=direct

On a side note, someone is off to a bad start for his guaranteed 40 goals for the next 10 years straight. Badhab, any thoughts ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Re: No 50 goal scorers this year?

Im saying no. The only ones with a real chance are Perry and Stamkos each of which needs to be at GPG pace or better for the remainder. So no....

Surprised at #'s like Ovechkin's this year. Maybe he's finally saving it for the playoffs?

Also Crosby easily woulda been over 50 this year if he didnt go down, he was on a tremendous pace.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

Crosby would have hit it.  Stamkos could have but he hit a real slump.  I think  Ovechkin and the Capitals had the same issue as the Bruins last year.  They realized that for all their regular season success the previous season, it meant nothing when you lose in the playoffs.  Hard to get up for the regular season after that.  I think we see more offense and lead changes then we did before the lockout, but it is fading a bit.  I think they need to further reduce the goalie equipment a little and ensure that obstruction is still being enforced.  Beyond that the only thing I can think of is reducing the number of players on a roster.  Fewer players = more fatigue = more errors = worse implementation of team systems and more goals.  It would also mean more playing time for the stars.  If you watch games in the 80's they went with 3 lines and that was it.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I think it's funny that people are upset about this. Scoring 50 is a HUGE deal. It makes sense that it wouldn't happen every year.
    Also, I'm glad the game hasn't turned into basketball on ice, where you score at will and everything's a foul. The best part of hockey is that it's HARD. It takes a lot to score, it doesn't happen constantly, and therefore there's a big emotional payoff when it happens. If every game was 10-8, I'd totally lose interest.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

I don't want to watch teams volley. I want to watch my team grind it out.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I don't want 10-8 but I don't want 2-1 easier.  And games like the Rangers-Bruins on Saturday was like paint drying.  A back and forth affair like the wild one with the Canadiens was awesome.  It's not so much about score, but about the game being wide-open and unpredictable.  I'd rather less systems, more mistakes, more combacks, more exchanging of scoring chances.  Plays like Tyler Seguin's breakaway first goal are what pull me out of my seat.  But I still like the current league, it's way better than pre-lockout.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

4-2 is just about perfect, in my eyes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from niftybear. Show niftybear's posts

Scotty Bowman says they need to get rid of the 65 foot end zones and that will eliminate the need for all these perimeter defenses. He also wants to make defensemen have to carry the puck to the top of the circle before they can pass to the attacking blueline. The NHL should start listening to him instead of whomever is coming up with these crazy ideas they have in place now.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFW826. Show DFW826's posts

crosby could have had sixty his pace was ridiculous.  but yeah, i think the other real story is Corey freakin' Perry.  Where the heck did he come from?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  You CAN NOT PROVE that Crosby "would have had" 50 if he hadnt of gone down.  Crosby is a great player, but he was on an unreal tear, YES, but you cannot say he definitely WOULD HAVE hit 50.

I voted no.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Crosby would have hit 60.

Perry has not come from nowhere he has been getting steadily better every year since he started.  He still has a legitimate shot at 50, he has been on a holy terror especially since Getz came back.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

In Response to Re: No 50 goal scorers this year?:
    [QUOTE]Crosby would have hit 60.Posted by No4BobbyOrr-GOAT[/QUOTE]

Mind passing along the winning powerball numbers!?  Id really appreciate it.  Thanks!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Seems like the NHL solution to the "more scoring" crowd is to increase the number of PP's.  I hate watching special teams dominate play, much prefer 5x5 or 4x4 action.  I think it comes down to defensive styles clogging the middle and the goalie equipment.  I still can't believe how big Tuukka and Ryan Miller look in their gear when they are both as massive as pipe cleaners.

My suggestion:
    1) Dramatically reduce the size of goalie equipment, including; leg pads, pants, chest and arm pads.
    2) in an effort to protect goalies with smaller gear, outlaw all 1-piece composite sticks.  I know Bergeron's stick vendor will likely go out of business, but it would make for a better game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

No answers for three separate fraudulent threads?

Who starts attack threads full of lies and misinformation and then fails to own up to the truth?

http://www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a0d190bb9-6882-4397-9ce1-e66db723d396Discussion%3ab95ec70d-a8fb-47e2-833b-7bf6b7a35997&plckCurrentPage=4

Chowda does!

If you are new here, you should know the person who started this thread is a fraud and a liar.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I agree, lose the composite.  Then it will actually mean something to have a hard shot.  And it wouldn't even need to be a dramatic decrease in goalie equipment.  Because of angles, 1" reduction in pad with can mean about an extra 6" of net space for a shooter hit when a goalie is in butterfly.  That's why the bigger goalie pads have had such an impact.  The post lockout reduction helped, but another inch would be great.

[QUOTE]Seems like the NHL solution to the "more scoring" crowd is to increase the number of PP's.  I hate watching special teams dominate play, much prefer 5x5 or 4x4 action.  I think it comes down to defensive styles clogging the middle and the goalie equipment.  I still can't believe how big Tuukka and Ryan Miller look in their gear when they are both as massive as pipe cleaners. My suggestion: 1) Dramatically reduce the size of goalie equipment, including; leg pads, pants, chest and arm pads. 2) in an effort to protect goalies with smaller gear, outlaw all 1-piece composite sticks.  I know Bergeron's stick vendor will likely go out of business, but it would make for a better game.
    Posted by Crowls2424[/QUOTE]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tom857. Show Tom857's posts

Niftybear: "He also wants to make defensemen have to carry the puck to the top of the circle before they can pass to the attacking blueline. The NHL should start listening to him instead of whomever is coming up with these crazy ideas"
    That sounds WAY more complicated and crazy. Imagine watching the game with a buddy that doesn't watch hockey often and having to try to explain that to him. Imagine being a ref having to enforce that rule. Imagine being a player in your own slot trying to gague if you'd hit the tops of the circles yet so you could pass. The sneak-away pass is actually one of things they just PUT IN (got rid of 2-line-pass rule) to INCREASE offense.

How many "Rangers" games have we seen this year (Bruins lose 0-1)? Not a whole lot. We've seen a handful of blowouts. And the vast majority art the 3-2, 4-2 sort of affairs. The game is pretty damn good as it is. Leave it alone. Some times you'll have a blow-out, sometimes you'll have a clunker... just deal with it.

Either that or have a penalty shot before each faceoff. Undecided

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

[QUOTE]Coulda, shoulda, woulda.  You CAN NOT PROVE that Crosby "would have had" 50 if he hadnt of gone down.  Crosby is a great player, but he was on an unreal tear, YES, but you cannot say he definitely WOULD HAVE hit 50. I voted no.
    Posted by bigvig[/QUOTE]
    Are you retarted?  Crosby was on pace for something like 70 when he went down.  I can say he definantly would have hit 60.  To say he wouldn't have scored another 15 goals in the 2nd half of the season is ludacris.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

Yes, IM retarted because there is NO WAY you can say he DEFINITELY WOULD HAVE scored 60 had he not been hurt.  Hey, Horton was on pace for 80 something at one point.  Wonder what happened?  NOTHING is a given.  Crosby scored 51 last year, his highest since the 39 he scored in his ROOKIE SEASON!  Get a freakin clue.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from s2e42o. Show s2e42o's posts

LMAO, some people just love to play devils advocate.  Horton was on pace for 80 after like 4 games bud, were talking about half of the season on pace for 70 for the greatest player in the game, and you dont think he could guarantee 50!?!  LOL, and I need to get a clue.  Some people just don't know hockey . . .

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In January, Stamkos and Crosby both looked like mortal locks; if Stamkos can go "cold" and score only 7 since Jan 21st (which is still better than a 20 goal pace), the same could have happened to Crosby.

The only guys to have any kind of shot are Stamkos and Perry.  Perry has been a really tough, savvy player for years, but I would never have put him down for a run at 50.  Couldn't believe it when I noticed he was now the Richard Trophy favorite.  I just don't see either of them pulling it off.

What's really odd is how many guys get stalled in the first half of new "decade" - you look at the list and there are a bunch of guys juuuuuust over 30.  Maybe one or two over 35.  Weird that there isn't more of a spread.  It makes me wonder if it isn't psychological - hit a big milestone and relax.