No ESPY for Bruins --Shocker---

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

No ESPY for Bruins --Shocker---

I know many of you here share the same feelings as myself when it comes to ESPN. I can't stand them, most because they treat hockey like the red-headed step child of pro sports and also because I would rather mop the floor at a peep show then listen to Stephen A. Smith..

But, I worked a detail at a local resteraunt and they had the ESPY's on the televisons, so to pass the time I looked up from time to time. Saw the Bruins were nominated in the Game Of The Year category for their game 7 comeback against the Leafs. Their competition was Heat-Spurs Game 6 and AFC Divisional Game Broncos-Ravens.

This was what I said to myself:

Ravens-Broncos: If the B's-Leafs doesnt win, I could see the argument for this one, I watched this and it was a terrific game. Back and forth, the whole game was great, and that could put this one over the top.

B's-Leafs: I don't care what game it was in what sport, there was no better finish to a game this year than this one. But, the fact that it was the last 10 minutes of the game that made it great, may hurt them here. That and the fact that it's hockey and this is ESPN.

Heat-Spurs : I actually remember working a detail the night this game was on and watched a little of it, especially the end hoping the Heat would lose. Only moments of a basketball game I watched all year. This is ESPN and Lebron James. I bet they give it to this game because they are ESPN and they suck.If Brett Favre played a neighborhood wiffle ball game and it was caught on camera the B's-Leafs game would even be nominated.

Heat-Spurs won.

Keep up the good work ESPN.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: No ESPY for Bruins --Shocker---

ESPN doesn't need hockey.  Hockey doesn't need ESPN.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

The day will come when ESPN will regret the shoddy treatment of NHL hockey. 

In keeping with thread title, I watch all sports and there were some great games to compare.  The truth is ESPN does not know that the comeback in that series was almost on par with the Red Sox win over the Yankees 2004. 

I will say this, all star games, MVPs, other trophies for the most part do not get this fan's eye. I could care less of ESPN.  SI partially redeemed itself with this cover:

http://3.cdn.nhle.com/nhl/images/upload/2013/06/BruinsPens6-10-2013_SI_cover_large.jpg

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

I watched hoping but not expecting Game 7 to take it.  That the game lost didn't surprise me but still irritated the hell out of me.  Just shows what we've thought all along; hockey doesn't resonate in the consciousness of this "leader in sports." 

Game 7 had everything host Jon Hamm contained in his opening monologue of what makes sports so special that scripted entertainment can't hope to replicate; unexpected drama, spectacular plot twists and implausible ressurections.  Phooey on ESPN.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

ESPN is American.  I would lose my mind if that was my sports channel.  Hockey is behibd bowling and lawn darts in most places.  

when i played in wichita they had a rule book.  You could send any 3 yr old from canada down their to lecture them on what offsides means.  

Some great hockey areas as well.    Loved playing against BU, UNH, Maine BBs.  The atmosphere was awesome.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

Yeah, not surprised. They don't have broadcasting rights so they neglect it. ESPN is pretty much a complete joke though. The anchors there seem to be mostly annoying fan boys and the channel is too obsessed with what is easily the worst league to watch (NBA). Also, is a sports award show really necessary? Each league gives out actual awards after every season.

When they do talk hockey they bring in Barry Melrose, but you can tell from their pompous tone of voice that they don't take him, or hockey seriously.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Was at a bar in Montreal last night and saw that the Heat were involved in game of the year and the other candidate besides the B's was a football game. I know that the B's/Leafs game would finish a distant 3rd, even though it WAS the best candidate. Hell, they would have given it to the Heat even if the Bruins came from 6 goals down in the final 5 minutes.

...and in a shocking upset, the Heat win "team" of the year. What a surprise. Blackhawks not even close, apparently.

Friends don't let friends watch ESPN.

...the Canadian guy I was with said. "This awards show is for what??"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

nhl2nite years ago .

espn is like  tmz for men mixed with a live nfl police blotter.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

ESPN is the NBA network.  At least during the basketball season.  They do nothing but promote their own products.  The Heat game was a far cry from wither of the other two choices.  But ESPN has always been utterly shameless about using their network to promote their product.  Not surprised at all.  

Tell the restaurant to change the channel or you're shutting them down...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davinator. Show Davinator's posts

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

I watched hoping but not expecting Game 7 to take it.  That the game lost didn't surprise me but still irritated the hell out of me.  Just shows what we've thought all along; hockey doesn't resonate in the consciousness of this "leader in sports." 

Game 7 had everything host Jon Hamm contained in his opening monologue of what makes sports so special that scripted entertainment can't hope to replicate; unexpected drama, spectacular plot twists and implausible ressurections.  Phooey on ESPN.

RHO - I can't help but think that IF the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup, that game might have had more consideration...or if the Heat had lost the NBA Finals.

Maybe not. ESPN sux. When I travel to the States and have to tune into ESPN Sportscenter, it drives me crazy that they don't show hockey replays until the 00:50 minute mark of the program.

Offseason NBA/NFL strikes and court cases get more coverage -  as does High School and College Football/BBall.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I was at the pub last night sitting with about 8 friends, and they had this on in the background. Most of them, and these are diehard Canadian sports fans and not just abiout hockey - NFL, MLS, MLB, cycling, racing, NBA, you name it - had no idea what the ESPY's are. It had to be explained to them.

I thank god for TSN and Sportsnet.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I was at the pub last night sitting with about 8 friends, and they had this on in the background. Most of them, and these are diehard Canadian sports fans and not just abiout hockey - NFL, MLS, MLB, cycling, racing, NBA, you name it - had no idea what the ESPY's are. It had to be explained to them.

I thank god for TSN and Sportsnet.

Preach

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

The basic concept of comparing games/teams/players from different sports is flawed, in my opinion.  

But taking the "Game of the Year" concept to a place where it makes sense, perhaps the NHL should have it's own awards for "Best Game", "Best Playoff Series", "Best Individual Play", "Best Passing Play", "Best Save", etc.  I know that NHL.com, TSN, etc. run these things, but it would be cool to see the League acknowledge them -- perhaps with some weighting where players, fans, and even on-ice officials all get votes?

I don't know why, but the NHL didn't do an "Awards Show" this year, instead copycatting all the other leagues with individual press releases about the major award winners.  Major mistake on the league's part, I think.  Combining the Major Awards with the "Best of... " series would make for compelling viewing.  Perhaps do it one day before the draft?  Combining the "best of the season past", with "a look into the future"?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

The basic concept of comparing games/teams/players from different sports is flawed, in my opinion.  

But taking the "Game of the Year" concept to a place where it makes sense, perhaps the NHL should have it's own awards for "Best Game", "Best Playoff Series", "Best Individual Play", "Best Passing Play", "Best Save", etc.  I know that NHL.com, TSN, etc. run these things, but it would be cool to see the League acknowledge them -- perhaps with some weighting where players, fans, and even on-ice officials all get votes?

I don't know why, but the NHL didn't do an "Awards Show" this year, instead copycatting all the other leagues with individual press releases about the major award winners.  Major mistake on the league's part, I think.  Combining the Major Awards with the "Best of... " series would make for compelling viewing.  Perhaps do it one day before the draft?  Combining the "best of the season past", with "a look into the future"?

Good point minus the comment on the best nhl game this year.  Nonetheless, nhl.com should a bit creative with your suggestion North ala nfl films.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

TSN does a lot of that already, with fan input. In fact they usually have a special devoted too that kind of stuff (hit of the year, save, goal, deke, etc.) - the NHL could just partner with TSN for the awrds show and combine the two into one cool broadcast.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I think they didnt do one due to the lockout...I always have watched it, but they should do best save of the year,goal,fight,check etc...That would be cool.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Your right, and four-five years ago, I dont know. But the ESPN-Lebron thing is weird.

hey, I understand your moving to Florida for good. Not sure of the dates or how close you are but the bruins have entered a team in a rookie tournament down in Orlando,so you might want to check it out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

I don't know why, but the NHL didn't do an "Awards Show" this year, instead copycatting all the other leagues with individual press releases about the major award winners.  Major mistake on the league's part, I think. 

I agree 100%  That was something unique to the NHL in comparison to the other sports.  As cheesy as it was, I still liked it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

In response to jalvis' comment:

[QUOTE]

I don't know why, but the NHL didn't do an "Awards Show" this year, instead copycatting all the other leagues with individual press releases about the major award winners.  Major mistake on the league's part, I think. 

I agree 100%  That was something unique to the NHL in comparison to the other sports.  As cheesy as it was, I still liked it.

[/QUOTE]

I agree -- less cheese, more edge.  I nominate Denis Leary as permanent host.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

In response to jalvis' comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree -- less cheese, more edge.  I nominate Denis Leary as permanent host.

[/QUOTE]

Id rather have someone with some relvenance, staying power, and talent that DOESNT come from ripping off Bill Hicks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to DaveyN's comment:

Id rather have someone with some relvenance, staying power, and talent that DOESNT come from ripping off Bill Hicks.

Will Ferell, Patrick Warburton, Kevin Smith, Vince Vaughn, Kristen Bell and Jon Hamm are all pretty damn funny when they want to be, and they're all diehards  (Kings, Kings, Oilers, Hawks, Wings and Blues respectively)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

I would take most of those.  Can not stand Denis Leary.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

hey, I understand your moving to Florida for good. Not sure of the dates or how close you are but the bruins have entered a team in a rookie tournament down in Orlando,so you might want to check it out.

Hey, that's awesome!  I just looked it up.  It's nowhere near Orlando.  LOL  It's in South Florida, right by where I'll be.  (You were only off by about a four hour drive.)

Thanks for the heads up on that!  It's July 19th and I'm pumped for September.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:

[QUOTE]

Hey, that's awesome!  I just looked it up.  It's nowhere near Orlando.  LOL  It's in South Florida, right by where I'll be.  (You were only off by about a four hour drive.)

Thanks for the heads up on that!  It's July 19th and I'm pumped for September.

[/QUOTE]

NAS, if you went to this today, give us all some info.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RichHillOntario. Show RichHillOntario's posts

In response to Davinator's comment:

In response to RichHillOntario's comment:

RHO - I can't help but think that IF the Bruins went on to win the Stanley Cup, that game might have had more consideration...or if the Heat had lost the NBA Finals.

Maybe not. ESPN sux. When I travel to the States and have to tune into ESPN Sportscenter, it drives me crazy that they don't show hockey replays until the 00:50 minute mark of the program.

Offseason NBA/NFL strikes and court cases get more coverage -  as does High School and College Football/BBall.

Dav, you could be right.  I'd imagine the Bruins winning the championship would have increased the magnitude of that incredible game by adding it to what they had to overcome on their way to taking it all - if that makes sense.