No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA

Or - explain to me how they can possibly NOT sign 2 FA.

Kaberle and Ryder count in this exercise.

ONE of these guys might make it; Spooner, Knight, Caron or Hamilton, but that's not a sure thing.  As an optimistic fan, I think one of them will.

However, there's no way they can fill 2 roster spots from their prospects.

Altho they say they "won't be big players", that doesn't mean they won't be in the game.

And I haven't seen any rumors in the media anywhere.

Anybody have anything substantive?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Re: No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA

In Response to No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA:
    [QUOTE]Or - explain to me how they can possibly NOT sign 2 FA. Kaberle and Ryder count in this exercise. ONE of these guys might make it; Spooner, Knight, Caron or Hamilton, but that's not a sure thing.  As an optimistic fan, I think one of them will. However, there's no way they can fill 2 roster spots from their prospects. Altho they say they "won't be big players", that doesn't mean they won't be in the game. And I haven't seen any rumors in the media anywhere. Anybody have anything substantive?
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

I agree, there has to be a couple of players coming in. The four you mentioned are not ready including Caron. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bruinsGENIUS. Show bruinsGENIUS's posts

Add a spot for Recchi..could be as many as 3 and possibly 4 if JB gets moved.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I respectfully disagree, at least for the beginning of the season.  I see maybe two forward spots being available, and possibly one spot on D, that could certainly be filled by Kampfer for the short term.

You should have Caron, Arniel, and Sauve competing for the two forward spots, with Spooner and Knight having an outside shot too.

I think the B's should try to fill these spots from within, save some dough, and then do the same thing in March that they did last year -- fill the needs then.  There will be Peverly and Kelly type players available then on lousy teams.

For the first half of the season, why not see what we have here already (and stay cap-healthy)?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA:
    [QUOTE]I respectfully disagree, at least for the beginning of the season.  I see maybe two forward spots being available, and possibly one spot on D, that could certainly be filled by Kampfer for the short term. You should have Caron, Arniel, and Sauve competing for the two forward spots, with Spooner and Knight having an outside shot too. I think the B's should try to fill these spots from within, save some dough, and then do the same thing in March that they did last year -- fill the needs then.  There will be Peverly and Kelly type players available then on lousy teams. For the first half of the season, why not see what we have here already (and stay cap-healthy)?
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I agree, Fletch.  There is no benefit to coming out of the gate overstocked and overpaid.  If they can show up at the trade deadline in fifth place while playing the young guys all season, I think it's a major score.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]I respectfully disagree, at least for the beginning of the season.  I see maybe two forward spots being available, and possibly one spot on D, that could certainly be filled by Kampfer for the short term. You should have Caron, Arniel, and Sauve competing for the two forward spots, with Spooner and Knight having an outside shot too. I think the B's should try to fill these spots from within, save some dough, and then do the same thing in March that they did last year -- fill the needs then.  There will be Peverly and Kelly type players available then on lousy teams. For the first half of the season, why not see what we have here already (and stay cap-healthy)?

I agree Fletch; but you still have to remember. We don't wanna end up like NJ did last year. They dug too deep a hole that even winning 20 of 22 games couldn't get them back in. I think maybe if they're not winning the division a few weeks before Christmas they'll need to take some looks; but then that will mean that the Caron; Arniel & Sauve didn't pan out & it'll make it harder to use them as trade bait, if they're not performing up to that point. So; PC is in a tough spot actually.  I do like the Brooks Laich talk in the other thread. I think he'd be an awesome fit in Titletown!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

Down the stretch and for most of the playoffs there was always one health forward scratched.  Also, Kampfer was hurt.  So depending on whether they re-sign Ryder there may be no need to sign any FA's, unless they think they can upgrade.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

If you wait then you paint yourself into a corner because all the FA will be taken by then.

The most certain way to have an NHL roster player to have an NHL roster player, NOT a guy you THINK will be an NHL roster player.

Too many guys isn't a problem when you're under the cap unless you have to buy them out.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ronstar8. Show Ronstar8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA : I agree Fletch; but you still have to remember. We don't wanna end up like NJ did last year. They dug too deep a hole that even winning 20 of 22 games couldn't get them back in. I think maybe if they're not winning the division a few weeks before Christmas they'll need to take some looks; but then that will mean that the Caron; Arniel & Sauve didn't pan out & it'll make it harder to use them as trade bait, if they're not performing up to that point. So; PC is in a tough spot actually.  I do like the Brooks Laich talk in the other thread. I think he'd be an awesome fit in Titletown!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]

Although I agree with most of what you're saying Nite, I simply cannot understand the comparison to the Devils this past season. I mean, if the "worst case" scenario pans out that means Recchi, Ryder & Kaberle are gone. Which also means that none of the 3 are high impact core players. Therefore, there is NO WAY the B's will be floating around 5th to 9th place next year! 

If you ask me, get a seasoned veteran to sort of fill in Recchi's skates but that will be a 3rd liner. Seguin gets promoted to the 2nd line. And probably Caron makes the team. 

Looks pretty darn good, if you ask me!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

yeah after this season i wouldnt trust the gm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA : If you wait then you paint yourself into a corner because all the FA will be taken by then. The most certain way to have an NHL roster player to have an NHL roster player, NOT a guy you THINK will be an NHL roster player. Too many guys isn't a problem when you're under the cap unless you have to buy them out.
    Posted by BadHabitude[/QUOTE]

That's the real trick, determining which of the baby B's is going to make the jump and when.  That determines how aggressive you are in the FA market.  If you're confident the spots can be filled within you do nothing. Sounds like maybe that's the thinking from the brass. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JYaso. Show JYaso's posts

Caron should make the team.  I say thank you Mr Ryder for your services and move on.  Same goes for Kaberle.  Take the money saved on both of them and use it for flexibility @ the trade deadline. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hockguy0818. Show Hockguy0818's posts

[QUOTE]Caron should make the team.  I say thank you Mr Ryder for your services and move on.  Same goes for Kaberle.  Take the money saved on both of them
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]
    I agree. I trust that PC and Cam will make the right decisions when going through the roster this summer, and will fill our few holes effectively. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]Caron should make the team.  I say thank you Mr Ryder for your services and move on.  Same goes for Kaberle.  Take the money saved on both of them
    Posted by JYaso[/QUOTE]

The fact that PC has stated he's talked to Kaberle's agent, and not to Ryder speaks volumes.  If Tomas signs for the right price he's back.  Ryder will get his contract, elsewhere. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Well, at least with Kaberle I have some hope he can get his game together.

No hope for Ryder.

Or maybe it would be easier to maintain hope for Kaberle since I haven't had years of frustration watching him as I have Ryder.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

This is the strangest thread I've ever read! So many threads bashing Jacobs for not spending money and now we want to leave $8+ million in the bank. The irony! lol Myself, I'd like the middle ground. I'd like the B's to get a top 3 D-man as FA.

Maybe even spend 3-4 million to do it. Bring up Caron/Sauve for the 3rd line. I'd love to see Peverley and Kelly and Caron/Sauve together. As well as Bergeron/Marchand/Seguin.  A really solid top-3 D would be able to pair with either Chara and Seids (who rocks!). And in the playoffs they'd have 2 really solid D lines. That away-ice match-up issue sucks. Save the cap space for a trade for the playoff run.
    Lets go BRUINS!! (2012 and beyond!)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

Ryder earned his salary when he was being paid nothing.

4M was worth the cup as was the 12M over 3 years.

Ryder 12M 63G = 190K per goal. seems a lot

Yr1  27G-2nd    Team 270Goals  Playoffs led team 5-8=13
    Yr2  18G-3rd             196              4th in goals   4-1=5
    Yr3  18G-5th             244         3rd Gls 4th Pts   8-9=17
    Tot  63 - 1st             710                                17-18=35

Ryd has scored 8.9% of goals so his share of the salary would be approx 14.9M, so in realism he has not been over paid at 12M. H eleads team in goals over past 3 years. hE is 3rd in playoff points only behind Krej 39 and Berg 36 over the same span.

I myself never liked his 4M salary but when you put it in perspective he has been worth the money, especially where it counts the most for no money he has been one of the best for us in the playoffs and a cup is here in part due to him.

I would gladly take Ryd back at 3M per for 2 years, if our youth was ready and he were to be bumped, his 3M salary would be easily dealt as his playoff value was evident to all GMs watching.

March is just a 2nd year fellow and his value should be slightly less than Setoguchi who got 3 for 9M. Seto scored 31 and 20 and received a 1.8M for 1yr and scored 22 this year before getting his extension. So March who has been a big boon to the team just like Seto should recieve like salary.

Seto 1.8M for 1, I see March more like 2, 2.5, 3 for 7.5 for 3 years, if they offer him the 3 for 9M it will not bother me too much.

This leaves Kab with about 5M left in cap (includes Kamp as 7th D) without including Sav money, if he is signed I hope it is in the 3.5 range and nothing more. This leaves us with 1.5 for our 13th forward as Rec will not be back and that will be covered off for a Rook to sit the pines.

If Sav does sit and the 1.5 plus his 4M is available plus maybe the 3.5 for Kab leaves 9M for a superstar or beast at D.  PC has all his players but Rec available and lots of money and prospects to improve. This is going to be an even more exciting team and year with added experience as the Stanley Cup Champions.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No matter what PC says, Bruins MUST sign at least 2 FA : Although I agree with most of what you're saying Nite, I simply cannot understand the comparison to the Devils this past season. I mean, if the "worst case" scenario pans out that means Recchi, Ryder & Kaberle are gone. Which also means that none of the 3 are high impact core players. Therefore, there is NO WAY the B's will be floating around 5th to 9th place next year!  If you ask me, get a seasoned veteran to sort of fill in Recchi's skates but that will be a 3rd liner. Seguin gets promoted to the 2nd line. And probably Caron makes the team.  Looks pretty darn good, if you ask me!
    Posted by Ronstar8[/QUOTE]

I mean anything can happen where a team gets off to a rough start & puts themselves behind the 8 ball. You don't want to get too far back where the 2nd half of the season your spending it fighting for your play-off lives then have nothing left in the tank do anything when you get there. SOME teams; not all have a Stanley Cup hang-over. The Devils got off to a brutal start; but came on & almost made it. That's the only reason I used them as an example.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]yeah after this season i wouldnt trust the gm.
    Posted by 86redsox[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is questioning PC ability here Sox. I think there's some of us that have a differences of opinion on to what PC should or shouldn't do with regards to adding new faces via trade; or thru free agency; or try using 1-3 of our prospects in the hope that they'll be sufficient.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

No way on earth does Julien allow any combination of 3 Seguin, Spooner, Sauve, Arniel or Caron skate on his team at once. Julien would have a heart attack on the bench screaming at his rooks. Seguin and Spooner/Suave maybe but I expect Claude to be in Chiarelli's ear about Ryder.

Now to the D spot how many times does a 27 year old #2 puck retrieving get it to the outlet forward quickly free agents going to be available in the next few years ? ZERO. All for not PC will overpay for Ryder and Kaberle is my prediction.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

I agree with allowing the young guys to prove themselves with the deadline as an area to improve depth. 
    I disagree with the price that has to be paid at the deadline.
    I also think adding a dman at the deadline is problematic b/c they have to try and adapt to a new system.

Spend money only on a top 4 dman.  Wait until the deadline to add fwd depth. 
    I still would rather add Pitkanen and Laich now.  And then let the second fwd spot go to a rookie.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from No4BobbyOrr-GOAT. Show No4BobbyOrr-GOAT's posts

What about that stiff Torres, always a bridesmaid.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

I would want PC to sign Raffi Torres only if he put a hit out on him right afterwards...

Dude's such a d bag, it's not even comical...

You guys remember that penalty he got when he just barely missed hitting Boychuk in Game 7 I think it was?

The only thing on his mind was hurting Boychuk because his team was getting smoked...

No room in the game for that...

F*ck Raffi Torres...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]I would want PC to sign Raffi Torres only if he put a hit out on him right afterwards... Dude's such a d bag, it's not even comical... You guys remember that penalty he got when he just barely missed hitting Boychuk in Game 7 I think it was? The only thing on his mind was hurting Boychuk because his team was getting smoked... No room in the game for that... F*ck Raffi Torres...
    Posted by mannyortez3424[/QUOTE]

He tried to hurt him?  really?  in hockey? no way.  was Marchand trying to hurt Sedin?  Was Lucic trying to hurt Burrows?  What about shooting the pucks at Luongo(classy?), what about the entire run where our guys were constantly running people and were under league review?   I call it playoof hockey.  Apparently when its done back they are d bags.  But you should thank PK, Hartnell, Richards, Carcillo, Downie, Moore, Burrows, Rome, Lapierre etc etc.  Why you ask?  B/C they brought the best outta this group that
    Torres had a very good year, good playoffs and is a hitting machine.  If he were here you would all love him.  If he stops hitting and creating havoc he will be outta the league. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mannyortez3424. Show mannyortez3424's posts

Anyways, I bet one prospect will make the team, probably Caron...

I would be on board with the youth movement more if PC didn't have 15 MILLION DOLLARS to spend (if Savvy is done), there weren't viable options in free agency, or we didn't have a few spots to fill...

I understand not wanting to give out bad contracts just because you have cap space this year, but I would hope PC would at least look at guys like Pitkanen, Laich, Jokinen, etc. because they would be much better upgrades than Caron or even Ryder and probably Kaberle...

I'm hoping PC lets Ryder and Kaberle walk and signs any of the other puck moving defenseman on the market and Brooks Laich...