No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do...

What turns me off to Habs fans the most. It's something they do, that no other group of fans do. It's that cheer. 

That loud, jubilant cheer that they let out immediately once someone on there team takes a good clean check, loses and edge and falls over, or dives to try and draw a fake penalty. It's done to influence the refs to call a penalty and give their team a man advantage situation that is completely unmeritted and unearned. 

Now, I watch a lot of hockey. I have seen multiple games in every arena. I have NEVER heard this done anywhere else. Not New York, Detroit, Chicago, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philly, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Toronto, no where else do you hear that. You will hear fans let out an "aww" ticked off/disappointed noise when they think their team got hosed, sometimes they're right, sometimes they're wrong. But you never hear that instant, happy, super loud cheer.....like a goal was just scored kind of cheer that you hear in Montreal. It's done constantly, on plays that aren't remotely resembling penalties. 

The fact that you only hear this in one place is not commendable or impressive, it's sickening and says something about the integrity of the people involved

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do...

LOL... it's deafening at times.  It's like a squeal.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do...:
    [QUOTE]LOL... it's deafening at times.  It's like a squeal.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

It sounds like a crowd of 12 year old girls when Justin Bieber comes out on stage

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Absolutely right.  There's no disputing it if you listen to the audio.  That deafening squeal that accompanies every dive -- you just don't see that anyone else (outside of soccer).  It seems to be a culture of crying to the authorities.  It's really the same logic as calling 911 over a hockey hit, just more of an immediate reaction.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucaooo. Show lucaooo's posts

They are mentally 12 years old!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

No play was it more evident than when, I think it was Hamrlick who checked Ryder into the boads and went down to the ice from his own momentum and the crowd let out that collective, jubilent, squealing cheer, in hope of a whistle

.....for WHAT?!?!?!?!  

On what planet can you hit a guy and fall over and he gets called for a penalty?  It's ridicoulous......and they're not supid.  I know, I know, you want to say they are, but I'm not letting them off the hook that easily.  They're intelligent human beings, with working eyes and brains.  They know that's far from a penalty.....yet they do it anyway. 

They're not stupid, they're dishonest and weasely

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Easy...so is Bergeron.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Easy...so is Bergeron.
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]
    Sarcasm Fletch!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from callodthedom19. Show callodthedom19's posts

[QUOTE]Sometimes when the camera closes in on a couple .... I'll stop here as my rant will lead to homophobia. There so are so many in the crowd !
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]
    If you watched the NESN feed did you notice the old guy and the young girl they kept showing? I kept wondering if they were a couple. Disgusting.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : Sarcasm Fletch!
    Posted by callodthedom19[/QUOTE]

Gotcha. 

Careful though, the mods are all over that sh*t...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hanrahan1. Show Hanrahan1's posts

I hate the Habs but I will admit to having respect for the franchise and its success over its history. But so many of their fans seem to be a bunch of a-holes. No respect. Can't stand 'em. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from palealeman. Show palealeman's posts

good post, did anyone notice how still the crowd was when the anthum was sung? they must have guns pointed at them, if they so much as opened their girly mouths
     they would be shot!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

Pay attention to the other games tonight.  You won't hear this coordinated cheer into a boo after a perfectly normal non call in any other arena

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

It's a sense of entitlement that comes with living in a Canadian city that has no other sports team.

It's also why I love watching hockey with my wife. When something like that happens, she lets out this muted "wha?...uh....ummmm...did he?....did they?....was THAT a penalty?" Then she looks at me expecting it's some obscure rule that she missed, but I just shake my head and say, "No babe. That's not a penalty. And you're 100% smarter than everyone in that stadium in realizing it was just a hockey play."

Last night, she said watching the Canadiens was "ten times worse than watching the Spaniards at the World Cup." I did a spit-take with my beer.

Good times.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

Great post, couldn't agree more... You see the same attitude of hypocrissy displayed time and time again. Like it's ok to say Chara should be arrested for what was at best a questionnable play, then saying Subban jumpin up and hitting Marchand at center ice earlier in the season (he actually stopped and jumped!) or that little pansy Pouliot last night, coming from center ice with both elbows up to hit Boychuk into the boards, aren't blatant attempts to injure...
    It's not like they're stupid, most of my friends are Habs fans (I live in New-Brunswick, Canada) and these people are otherwise smart, normal people... It's like you flip a swicth in their brain when the habs are involved... I think it's a tradition of winning and expecting to win, like the cup is rightfully theirs each year and any other team is trying to steal that from them, combined with the fact that other than great strip clubs there really aint that much to get excited about in Montreal... hehe 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapaBear72. Show BigPapaBear72's posts

And also they're encouragewd in their behaviour as everyone around them is doing the same thing... Like you said, kinda like 12 year olds when you think about it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]Great post, couldn't agree more... You see the same attitude of hypocrissy displayed time and time again. Like it's ok to say Chara should be arrested for what was at best a questionnable play, then saying Subban jumpin up and hitting Marchand at center ice earlier in the season (he actually stopped and jumped!) or that little pansy Pouliot last night, coming from center ice with both elbows up to hit Boychuk into the boards, aren't blatant attempts to injure... It's not like they're stupid, most of my friends are Habs fans (I live in New-Brunswick, Canada) and these people are otherwise smart, normal people... It's like you flip a swicth in their brain when the habs are involved... I think it's a tradition of winning and expecting to win, like the cup is rightfully theirs each year and any other team is trying to steal that from them, combined with the fact that other than great strip clubs there really aint that much to get excited about in Montreal... hehe 
    Posted by BigPapaBear72[/QUOTE]
    Hey BigPapa! There's actually quite a few NBers that post here.I'm from Saint John so I know exactly what you mean about having Habs fans for friends. Very few  are capable of debating hockey without uttering the question"how many cups has your team won",over and over again. It's like they revert  back to childhood when discussing hockey as their only argument is the same one I've been hearing since elementary school. I like to ask them if they have any input that couldn't be made by a 10 year old. They generally come back with "how many cups has your team won" followed by giggling........

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : Hey BigPapa! There's actually quite a few NBers that post here.I'm from Saint John so I know exactly what you mean about having Habs fans for friends. Very few  are capable of debating hockey without uttering the question"how many cups has your team won",over and over again. It's like they revert  back to childhood when discussing hockey as their only argument is the same one I've been hearing since elementary school. I like to ask them if they have any input that couldn't be made by a 10 year old. They generally come back with "how many cups has your team won" followed by giggling........
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

Sounds like Yankee fans

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : Hey BigPapa! There's actually quite a few NBers that post here.I'm from Saint John so I know exactly what you mean about having Habs fans for friends. Very few  are capable of debating hockey without uttering the question"how many cups has your team won",over and over again. It's like they revert  back to childhood when discussing hockey as their only argument is the same one I've been hearing since elementary school. I like to ask them if they have any input that couldn't be made by a 10 year old. They generally come back with "how many cups has your team won" followed by giggling........

And moving to Calgary from NB didn't help the matter Dez. They do the exact same thing here! These are normally intelligent human beings under any other circumstance, but try having a discussion on hockey & say something bad about the Habs & it's the same line!
    Now you have the Habs fans saying the only reason the Nuks are beating the Hawks is because of Lappierre! UGH!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : And moving to Calgary from NB didn't help the matter Dez. They do the exact same thing here! These are normally intelligent human beings under any other circumstance, but try having a discussion on hockey & say something bad about the Habs & it's the same line! Now you have the Habs fans saying the only reason the Nuks are beating the Hawks is because of Lappierre! UGH!!
    Posted by nitemare-38[/QUOTE]
    You know Nite,I figured the annoying Habs fan was universal but figured the percentage of them has to be lower out West.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Good for them! I don't speak the language, but I appreciate the passion, and they make the game better.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swerengen. Show Swerengen's posts

[QUOTE]Good for them! I don't speak the language, but I appreciate the passion, and they make the game better.
    Posted by krismk[/QUOTE]

Passion = The Worlds Greatest Cop Out

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : Passion = The Worlds Greatest Cop Out
    Posted by Swerengen[/QUOTE]
    You got that right Swere!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

I noticed the fans doing this too... it's really annoying.  Like their players are made of glass.  And yeah, it's the only rink I've heard it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from nitemare-38. Show nitemare-38's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: No other fans do this thing Montreal fans do... : You know Nite,I figured the annoying Habs fan was universal but figured the percentage of them has to be lower out West.

Percentage wise? Yea there's more Nuks, Oil & digusting Flame fans out here! In 04' it was awesome being in a hockey city on a cup run! However, Flame fans are the WORST ones & I ever experienced. They're now my 2nd most hated team. They jumped the Flyers & Rangers on the hate chart!