Oh where have you gone, Adams Division?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

Oh where have you gone, Adams Division?

The league really needs to try and re-establish rivalries by unbalancing the schedule.  I don't need to see another Western Conference team until playoffs.  Yawn.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division?

When it was the Adams Division, each team played each other twice at least, once on the road, once at home.

How many B's vs. Sabres games can you take?

While the outcome wasn't great.  I enjoyed watching last nights game.  Datsyuk is impressive and Lidstrom is awesome.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division?:
    [QUOTE]When it was the Adams Division, each team played each other twice at least, once on the road, once at home. How many B's vs. Sabres games can you take? While the outcome wasn't great.  I enjoyed watching last nights game.  Datsyuk is impressive and Lidstrom is awesome.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Played each other at least twice ? Good thing you threw in 'at least'. Try looking at this and you'll see a lot more then once on the road and at home every year that the Adams Division was in existence.
    http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1976_games.html

How many years have you studied hockey again ? Safe comment but dumb !

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Played each other at least twice ? Good thing you threw in 'at least'. Try looking at this and you'll see a lot more then once on the road and at home every year that the Adams Division was in existence. http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1976_games.html How many years have you studied hockey again ? Safe comment but dumb !
    Posted by dustyisacat[/QUOTE]
    I haven't noticed you posting in awhile Dusty.Welcome back.I hope you were busy doing happy things  .

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]When it was the Adams Division, each team played each other twice at least, once on the road, once at home. How many B's vs. Sabres games can you take? While the outcome wasn't great.  I enjoyed watching last nights game.  Datsyuk is impressive and Lidstrom is awesome.

For me, I'd like to see more home and home series within the division - at least 3 times per year.  And I would also rather see Buffalo 6-8 times per year than any 8 game combination vs. the likes of Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, Calgary, Minn., Columbus, etc...boring.  Plenty of star players in the east to watch while developing rivalries. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Played each other at least twice ? Good thing you threw in 'at least'. Try looking at this and you'll see a lot more then once on the road and at home every year that the Adams Division was in existence. http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1976_games.html How many years have you studied hockey again ? Safe comment but dumb !
    Posted by dustyisacat[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the link.  It supports my statement.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : I haven't noticed you posting in awhile Dusty.Welcome back.I hope you were busy doing happy things  .
    Posted by dezaruchi[/QUOTE]

I'm back , very happy and will be getting happier.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : For me, I'd like to see more home and home series within the division - at least 3 times per year.  And I would also rather see Buffalo 6-8 times per year than any 8 game combination vs. the likes of Nashville, Anaheim, Phoenix, Calgary, Minn., Columbus, etc...boring.  Plenty of star players in the east to watch while developing rivalries. 
    Posted by hangnail[/QUOTE]

What about the games vs. Dallas? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

The jury is still out on whether Dallas can be considered a rival.  The '08 game centered a lot around Avery (gone), and last week's issue was Campbell's usettled score from the hit he took while with Florida (can't even remember the guy who hit Campbell  - was it Ott?).  After Campbell's fight, it was just one team trying to one-up the other in the fight department - which is fine with me.  We'll see how it develops over the next year or so.

But aside from Dallas, is there any team in the West you dislike now as much as you once disliked from the Adams division.  The cast of characters was endless and those were true rivalries (Hunter, Verbeek, Ray, Kordic, etc).  To me anyways.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

8 games against division opponent is too much. I am good with 6. Do people really want to see Leafs, Sabres, Sens, Habs 8 times a year plus another possible 7 in the playoffs?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]The jury is still out on whether Dallas can be considered a rival.  The '08 game centered a lot around Avery (gone), and last week's issue was Campbell's usettled score from the hit he took while with Florida (can't even remember the guy who hit Campbell  - was it Ott?).  After Campbell's fight, it was just one team trying to one-up the other in the fight department - which is fine with me.  We'll see how it develops over the next year or so. But aside from Dallas, is there any team in the West you dislike now as much as you once disliked from the Adams division.  The cast of characters was endless and those were true rivalries (Hunter, Verbeek, Ray, Kordic, etc).  To me anyways.

The main reason I watch the games is to see the B's.  A small reason is to hate the other team.  In the middle is to see great hockey and to see great hockey players.  I fully dislike the fact that I can't go to a Vancouver game in Boston every year and see the Sedins, or a Detroit game to see Datsyuk and Lidstrom.  What about the fans of the teams in the west that don't get to see Crosby or Ovechkin for years? 

I honestly get bored with seeing the same teams over and over and over.  There are a lot of great hockey players out there.  I'd rather see TJ Oshie and David Backes twice a season than Vanek and Stafford or Kessel and Phaneuf or Spezza and who-ever-else-is-worth-watching-from-Ottawa in extra games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]8 games against division opponent is too much. I am good with 6. Do people really want to see Leafs, Sabres, Sens, Habs 8 times a year plus another possible 7 in the playoffs?
    Posted by jpsoxfan[/QUOTE]

I see your point but what I would like to see is that the regular season is East vs East only and West vs West only.  That's 14 opponents, play each 5 times for 70 games (or 6 times each for 84 total games).  In the playoffs, top 8 teams make it - but seed the 1,3,5 & 7 teams in the East in the same bracket as the 2,4,6 & 8 seeds in the West.  Same seedings in the other bracket.  Might sound a bit crazy but it would enhance rivalries in the regular season and put a new spin on the playoff format when the games really matter.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : The main reason I watch the games is to see the B's.  A small reason is to hate the other team.  In the middle is to see great hockey and to see great hockey players.  I fully dislike the fact that I can't go to a Vancouver game in Boston every year and see the Sedins, or a Detroit game to see Datsyuk and Lidstrom.  What about the fans of the teams in the west that don't get to see Crosby or Ovechkin for years?  I honestly get bored with seeing the same teams over and over and over.  There are a lot of great hockey players out there.  I'd rather see TJ Oshie and David Backes twice a season than Vanek and Stafford or Kessel and Phaneuf or Spezza and who-ever-else-is-worth-watching-from-Ottawa in extra games.

My original intent of the post was to find a way for the league to establish better rivalries during the regular season.  I agree there are great players that we see too seldom.  But that really has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread.  I prefer the emotional high of a hotly contested game than watching Datsyuk tiptoe through the tulips and the Bruins treating him like fine China.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scooter244. Show scooter244's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : The main reason I watch the games is to see the B's.  A small reason is to hate the other team.  In the middle is to see great hockey and to see great hockey players.  I fully dislike the fact that I can't go to a Vancouver game in Boston every year and see the Sedins, or a Detroit game to see Datsyuk and Lidstrom.  What about the fans of the teams in the west that don't get to see Crosby or Ovechkin for years?  I honestly get bored with seeing the same teams over and over and over.  There are a lot of great hockey players out there.  I'd rather see TJ Oshie and David Backes twice a season than Vanek and Stafford or Kessel and Phaneuf or Spezza and who-ever-else-is-worth-watching-from-Ottawa in extra games.

I'm disappointed with the frequency the Bruins make it to Western Canada.  I'd like way more opportunities to see them play.  This year they are coming right in the middle of my work week.  Bad timing. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : I see your point but what I would like to see is that the regular season is East vs East only and West vs West only.  That's 14 opponents, play each 5 times for 70 games (or 6 times each for 84 total games).  In the playoffs, top 8 teams make it - but seed the 1,3,5 & 7 teams in the East in the same bracket as the 2,4,6 & 8 seeds in the West.  Same seedings in the other bracket.  Might sound a bit crazy but it would enhance rivalries in the regular season and put a new spin on the playoff format when the games really matter.

Do the playoffs need a new spin?

Don't you think hockey fans like the opportunity to see their favorite players or the league's best players at least once a year?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Do the playoffs need a new spin? Don't you think hockey fans like the opportunity to see their favorite players or the league's best players at least once a year?

If the regular season was formatted the way I proposed, I think my playoff format would be great because teams would be facing each other for the first time and rivalries would develop naturally because the games are meaningful.  And with the NHL Network, Versus, live streaming, etc you can see pretty much any player or team you want on any given night.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : If the regular season was formatted the way I proposed, I think my playoff format would be great because teams would be facing each other for the first time and rivalries would develop naturally because the games are meaningful.  And with the NHL Network, Versus, live streaming, etc you can see pretty much any player or team you want on any given night.

I was referring to going to the games.  When I was growing up, I always had tickets to Edmonton, LA and Pittsburgh games.  With your format, some fans in some cities might never see their favorite player or favorite team in person...ever.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : I was referring to going to the games.  When I was growing up, I always had tickets to Edmonton, LA and Pittsburgh games.  With your format, some fans in some cities might never see their favorite player or favorite team in person...ever.

Oh my you're sounding like Duinne here.  Me and her had a discussion about this pre-season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : I was referring to going to the games.  When I was growing up, I always had tickets to Edmonton, LA and Pittsburgh games.  With your format, some fans in some cities might never see their favorite player or favorite team in person...ever.

True.  But see my 11:14 AM post.  And for the most part, wouldn't a fan's favorite player or team actually play in the city where said fan lives?  Yes, people do sometimes move to different parts of the country, but for the most part people stay in the same geographical region that they were born.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : True.  But see my 11:14 AM post.  And for the most part, wouldn't a fan's favorite player or team actually play in the city where said fan lives?  Yes, people do sometimes move to different parts of the country, but for the most part people stay in the same geographical region that they were born.

Rivalries cannot be forced.  The NHL tried it a few years back when they increased the amount of divisional games.  It failed because it was boring to see the same teams over and over and over.  They expanded it to more conference play.

Without getting into a 1,000 word diatribe, let me simply amend the above statement:  second favorite/besides the Bruins and their players.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Oh my you're sounding like Duinne here.  Me and her had a discussion about this pre-season.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustyisacat. Show dustyisacat's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Oh my you're sounding like Duinne here.  Me and her had a discussion about this pre-season.
    Posted by BsLegion[/QUOTE]

A slap in the face to duinne !

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Rivalries cannot be forced.  The NHL tried it a few years back when they increased the amount of divisional games.  It failed because it was boring to see the same teams over and over and over.  They expanded it to more conference play. Without getting into a 1,000 word diatribe, let me simply amend the above statement:  second favorite/besides the Bruins and their players.

I agree rivalries cannot be forced, they happen naturally by playing against the same players more than twice in a long 7 month season.

And...what's boring to you may be exciting to someone else.  And conversely, what's exciting for you may be boring to someone else, no?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bandgbleeder. Show bandgbleeder's posts

There were also less teams and games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hangnail. Show hangnail's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Oh where have you gone, Adams Division? : Rivalries cannot be forced.  The NHL tried it a few years back when they increased the amount of divisional games.  It failed because it was boring to see the same teams over and over and over.  They expanded it to more conference play. Without getting into a 1,000 word diatribe, let me simply amend the above statement:  second favorite/besides the Bruins and their players.

Please help me understand this reply NAS.  Who says rivalries can't be forced?  You, or the league?  I would think that the more one team faces another, then there is a greater chance of developing a rivalry.  It would be a natural progression, in my opinion. 

And who says that increasing the amount of divisional games failed to produce more rivalries "because it was boring to see the same teams over and over and over."  Is there a link you can provide where the league states this?  Or again, is this your opinion?