Oiler's vs B's Final??

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

Oiler's vs B's Final??

I'm going to say that the Bruins make it a 3rd times a charm & beat the Oiler's for the cup this yr. Experience over youth will prevail. Regardless if I'm right or not about the Oiler's being there. I plan on watching all of their games along with the Av's. Both teams will be fun to watch.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Re: Oiler's vs B's Final??

How about B's vs the Wild ?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I don't think the Oilers are there yet - need to build their D up still.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I don't think the Oilers are there yet - need to build their D up still.

[/QUOTE]

If it was an 82 game schedule I'd agree, but with 48 games & a lot of teams that don't have the youth & NO WHERE the speed they have. Plus, I think after last yr. Dubnyk is poised & ready to be a #1. A strong start will get the Oil in the play-offs. Then, as the Kings proved. All you have to do is get into the dance. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to 50belowzero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I'd be worried sick, because the Bruins can't score on Backstrom!!!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Wow, really?  So...other than another year of experience, and maybe a shotgun start in a shortened season where their best players were playing together in OKC, what makes you think the Oilers will go from the second worst team in the league to the Cup finals?

I think they make the playoffs this year, but they're no better than a 4th seed and even that's a stretch.  I don't see them beating Nashville, Detroit, or LA over 7 games, and I think it's touch and go that they could take St. Louis, Chicago or Minnesota.  Vancouver, maybe.  Phoenix or San Jose?  Sure.  They're very vulnerable to any team with a top notch goalie - and while most teams will lose to an unconscious goaltender, a team that depends heavily on young scoring stars is especially at risk.  Just ask the Nuge how he feels about John Gibson.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm going to say that the Bruins make it a 3rd times a charm & beat the Oiler's for the cup this yr. Experience over youth will prevail. Regardless if I'm right or not about the Oiler's being there. I plan on watching all of their games along with the Av's. Both teams will be fun to watch.  

[/QUOTE]

Hey.  Settle down.  You're chomping at the bit for hockey (so am I) and you're way way too excited.  It happens.  I know.  I've been there if I'm not there now.  Now chill out.  and stop this Oiler playoffs talk, never mind seeing them in the finals.  Deep breaths.  Get a beverage.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bisson1. Show Bisson1's posts

They're way to weak on defense, and have an average goalie. There's no way that they stand a chance against the top team in the West like the Canucks, Kings, and Blues. Bookboy also makes a good point, the addition of Yakupov and Shutlz (who played rather poorly in the AHL), doesn't bring them from 29th to 2nd. They should compete in the future though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak in and snag the 8 seed. They're a fringe team in my eyes, not a SC contender.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You got that right Nite, can't buy a goal off that guy.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

They're way to weak on defense, and have an average goalie. There's no way that they stand a chance against the top team in the West like the Canucks, Kings, and Blues. Bookboy also makes a good point, the addition of Yakupov and Shutlz (who played rather poorly in the AHL), doesn't bring them from 29th to 2nd. They should compete in the future though.

I wouldn't be surprised if they sneak in and snag the 8 seed. They're a fringe team in my eyes, not a SC contender.

[/QUOTE]

Played rather poorly ? 18 gls- 30 assts in 34 games is pretty good for a first time AHL'er. I don't know about his defensive work, but he should fit right in with the high flying Oilers.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Schulz is 15 points ahead of the second highest scoring D in the AHL, and he played two fewer games. He also has a plus 8. Until he was called back up, he was in a two-man race for the AHL scoring title with Eberle (next closest player, a forward, was ten points back) They completely lack defensive depth, or defensively responsible forwards, but anyone who says Schulz played poorly in the AHL doesn't know what they're talking about.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, really?  So...other than another year of experience, and maybe a shotgun start in a shortened season where their best players were playing together in OKC, what makes you think the Oilers will go from the second worst team in the league to the Cup finals?

I think they make the playoffs this year, but they're no better than a 4th seed and even that's a stretch.  I don't see them beating Nashville, Detroit, or LA over 7 games, and I think it's touch and go that they could take St. Louis, Chicago or Minnesota.  Vancouver, maybe.  Phoenix or San Jose?  Sure.  They're very vulnerable to any team with a top notch goalie - and while most teams will lose to an unconscious goaltender, a team that depends heavily on young scoring stars is especially at risk.  Just ask the Nuge how he feels about John Gibson.

[/QUOTE]

What were the 84' Oilers?  Nobody saw them beating the 06' Detroit or San Jose teams either & they have twice the speed now. Speed kills in the new NHL & I think this Oilers team finish in the top 3 in the West. Over an 82 game schedule I think they'd be hard pressed for a top 7 finish. Sorry you don't agree Book, but this Oilers team is going to be fun to watch. I stated the the Oilers in the finals more as a joke, but now that I see everyone giving them no respect... I hope they do face the Bruins & if the Bruins don't make the finals..I hope the Oilers do & win their 6th cup. Shooot....Unless they face the Av's....I have to cheer for Matthew, because he's my good buddy. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to Bisson1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
    This isn't an average goalie stats there bud! Especially playing for such a weak defense as you say! 

47 118 2.67 1380 .914 2 0 20 20 3

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

Schulz is 15 points ahead of the second highest scoring D in the AHL, and he played two fewer games. He also has a plus 8. Until he was called back up, he was in a two-man race for the AHL scoring title with Eberle (next closest player, a forward, was ten points back) They completely lack defensive depth, or defensively responsible forwards, but anyone who says Schulz played poorly in the AHL doesn't know what they're talking about.

[/QUOTE]

The info is coming from a 14 yr old Red. Cut him some slack. lol

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What were the 84' Oilers?  Nobody saw them beating the 06' Detroit or San Jose teams either & they have twice the speed now. Speed kills in the new NHL & I think this Oilers team finish in the top 3 in the West. Over an 82 game schedule I think they'd be hard pressed for a top 7 finish. Sorry you don't agree Book, but this Oilers team is going to be fun to watch. I stated the the Oilers in the finals more as a joke, but now that I see everyone giving them no respect... I hope they do face the Bruins & if the Bruins don't win it..I hope the Oilers do. 

[/QUOTE]

The 84' Oilers had Grant Fuhr in net. Devan Dubnyk is no Grant Fuhr, yet. We'll see, but the Oilers of 1984 took a lot of chances knowing they had Fuhr back there.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

The 84 Oilers also had Grant Fuhr holding the fort for them -  if you're going to play firewagon hockey, then you're going to be leaving your keeper out to dry every other play, so you need someone of Fuhr's calibre to keep the puck out. No one would argue that Fuhr wasn't a great, yet he still gave up nearly 4 goals a game that season. You think Dubnyk equals Fuhr? The year they went on their run in 06, they had Pronger on the backend, and Roloson giving a Thomas like performance in the net. It's not showing them disrespect, it's being realistic - they don't have it together defensively to make a run at it yet.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You got that right Nite, can't buy a goal off that guy.

[/QUOTE]

I tried finding a stat that I saw last yr, but can't find it now. His SPP against the B's is something like .989, or something ridiculous. Pretty sure his record is 5-0 with 2 SO. Including last yrs 48 save gem.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

The 84 Oilers also had Grant Fuhr holding the fort for them -  if you're going to play firewagon hockey, then you're going to be leaving your keeper out to dry every other play, so you need someone of Fuhr's calibre to keep the puck out. No one would argue that Fuhr wasn't a great, yet he still gave up nearly 4 goals a game that season. You think Dubnyk equals Fuhr? The year they went on their run in 06, they had Pronger on the backend, and Roloson giving a Thomas like performance in the net. It's not showing them disrespect, it's being realistic - they don't have it together defensively to make a run at it yet.

[/QUOTE]

LOL! Grant Fuhr would allow 6 goals, but not the 7th in a 7-6 win. No I don't think Dubnyk is a Fuhr, but he could be a Roloson. Don't forget it wasn't Roloson in the Oiler's net in the Finals Red. It was Jussi Markkanen after Conklin befuddled game one in OT. And he played well. Not as good as Rollie was, but he wasn't the reason the Oilers lost. Ward was.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What were the 84' Oilers?  Nobody saw them beating the 06' Detroit or San Jose teams either & they have twice the speed now. Speed kills in the new NHL & I think this Oilers team finish in the top 3 in the West. Over an 82 game schedule I think they'd be hard pressed for a top 7 finish. Sorry you don't agree Book, but this Oilers team is going to be fun to watch. I stated the the Oilers in the finals more as a joke, but now that I see everyone giving them no respect... I hope they do face the Bruins & if the Bruins don't win it..I hope the Oilers do. 

[/QUOTE]

The 84' Oilers had Grant Fuhr in net. Devan Dubnyk is no Grant Fuhr, yet. We'll see, but the Oilers of 1984 took a lot of chances knowing they had Fuhr back there.  

[/QUOTE]

Actually in 84' Andy Moog was the winnng SC goalie. ;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did he play the deciding game? I think Fuhr played the majority of the games, or did they co-tend ? 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

He gave up 6 goals in those 7-6 games because he had NO defensive support, same thing Dubnyk will face this year. They may very well have the second coming of Paul Coffey in Schulz (eventually), but who's gonna help him keep the puck out of the back of the net? Fistric? Smid? Petry? Whitney who spends most of his time in the infirmary?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Thing is, nite, that wasn't a go-go team of scorers - especially by Oilers standards.  That was a team built around Pronger, team defense, and hustle.  That isn't this year's Oilers.

And with all due...these are not the '84 Oilers.  I admire RNH, Hall, and Eberle, but not one of them will end up in the same breath as Gretzky, Messier, Kurri...and if Schultz reminds anyone of Coffey, I'll eat a hobo.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

[QUOTE]

He gave up 6 goals in those 7-6 games because he had NO defensive support, same thing Dubnyk will face this year. They may very well have the second coming of Paul Coffey in Schulz, but wo's gonna help him keep the puck out of the back of the net? Fistric? Smid? Petry? Whitney who spends most of his time in the infirmary?

[/QUOTE]

Smid is no Charlie Huddy. ;p

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:[QUOTE] How about B's vs the Wild ?

[/QUOTE] I'd be worried sick, because the Bruins can't score on Backstrom!!!![/QUOTE]

During the regular season doesn't mean it is going to translate to the post season.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Did he play the deciding game? I think Fuhr played the majority of the games, or did they co-tend ? 

[/QUOTE]

Yes, because Grant got injured in game 3 of the SCF.