Okay, Everybody Sober Now?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Okay, Everybody Sober Now?

Here's what I saw: 19 guys who believed the hype.  Was "heart" a problem?  I don't think so.  I didn't see it tested except when they got frustrated, but even that just made an existing problem worse.  Was "effort" a problem?  No, not really.  Controlled effort?  Purposeful effort?  Yeah, but not just "effort".  Did Price stand on his head?  Nope.  As others have pointed out, the Bruins hammered a lot of long distance shots right into the CH.  Someone tell Chara that "bullet shot" is a metaphor - the puck will not actually go through Price no matter how hard he shoots.  Were they inept offensively?  No, they had chances - Marchand had two breaks and a netside tip opportunity, Peverley walked out of the corner, Kaberle had two minirushes with a ton of traffic in front etc.

Their brains lost them this game, not their legs or their hearts.  How many times did you see them make absolutely brainless decisions, brainlessly "fancy" plays?  Both goals against were the result of stupidity, the kind of stupidity that looks like they thought it was shinny night at the outdoor rink.  Kaberle blindly reverses the puck on his backhand as though he's going to start the breakout, not just get the puck safely to Seidenberg (though after that, what the...is Seidenberg doing waltzing back to cover the front of the net???!?  Move your German keister!).  Lucic shows his VanCity roots and tries to Bure his way to the tying goal.  Two of many stupid plays, but the only two to end up in the Bruin net. 

There were two or three stretches where they looked like they wanted to put on a Globetrotter show, not hammer the Shabs.  Pointless, no look drop passes, "clever" and soft touch passes that got picked off or killed everyone's forward momentum, rushes without much sense of where they were rushing to.  In fact, pretty much the only time I saw the Habs get sustained pressure on the Bruins, it was a direct result of the Bruins playing soft and fancy.

Someone has already said that Peverley and Marchand were the best forwards, and if that's true it's because neither is that interested in being Johnny Fancypants.  Giving them the puck is like dropping a dime in a coin op car wash - as soon as it registers, they go one speed to the net.

I hope they were embarassed.  I hope they look a the tape and cringe at all the little soft plays they made trying to look like the Wings or the 80s Oilers and instead looking like a beer league team made up of former Junior B all-stars who still feel the faded glory of their one shot at Major Junior.  The biggest consolation out of last night?  I think Lucic was the kind of embarrassed (said mother..ker on national television if you can lipread) that makes a guy play like a house on fire the next chance he gets.  Wakey wakey Looch.  Keep your head up, Shabs.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Altus123. Show Altus123's posts

Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now?

good post and great thread title. 

There were some entertaining typos last night, weren't there?

It remindded me of parts of last season the way they kept playing the puck back.   They haven't done that very often this season, but you're absolutely tight - they tried to out-finesse the Habs.  You can't do that against a quicker team.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Book,

You know I like you posts. But this broken record of a team drives me bonkers.  Chara once again is showing that he can't take his game to the next level.  I had a mini debate 2 days ago with Dez re: Gill over Chara.  Gill knows what it takes to win and plays a great shutdown game.  Chara hasn't learned how to win.  Ask me who I would want and I would say Gill.

We don't have natural scorers either.  Montreal has guys that are clutch. This team has guys that fall to sleep. 

A few breaks either way and we win this game.  Problem is we are always saying that.  Next game we lose it will be the refs.  Next game will be the coach.  Or Kelly or Kaberle. 

I blame this game on CJ.  If he can't get this team ready there is something wrong.  Martin gets the Habs to pla above their talent.

Anyway, I am just frsutrated.  Gotta stay away here after a loss.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

Great write up BB. But my head is still hurting from last night.

I Agree Kaberle was Brutal his giveaway that lead to the first goal I'll attribute to playoff jitters. He is always a puck control guy its extremely uncharacteristic of him to make that backhand blind droppass with too much juice on it.

Also if you were to put together a line to start on Sat night based on forward performances your first line would be Marchand-Peverley-Horton.

I agree they dominated but got fancy they need to hammer the habs and finish those chances. I think if games go like this that the habs will get worn down though.

My dad last night was predicting that the B's go down 0-3 in the series and then win out the last four. Eradicating the demons of last fall and the habs in one felt swoop. I can only hope he is right.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from prob2236. Show prob2236's posts

Why is everyone so pissed.  The bruins dictated the tempo of the whole game last night and the canadians scored on two miss ques.  Even the "electric" canadians power play did nothing.  75% of the game was played on the canadians end of the ice with the bruins blasting away at the net.  The problem was that they werent quality shots and Price let up no second chance shots.  They lost game one but I have to tell you if the bruins play the same way they did last night theres no way they loose this series. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from I-Like-Hockey. Show I-Like-Hockey's posts

In Response to Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now?:
    [QUOTE]Book, You know I like you posts. But this broken record of a team drives me bonkers.  Chara once again is showing that he can't take his game to the next level.  I had a mini debate 2 days ago with Dez re: Gill over Chara.  Gill knows what it takes to win and plays a great shutdown game.  Chara hasn't learned how to win.  Ask me who I would want and I would say Gill. We don't have natural scorers either.  Montreal has guys that are clutch. This team has guys that fall to sleep.  A few breaks either way and we win this game.  Problem is we are always saying that.  Next game we lose it will be the refs.  Next game will be the coach.  Or Kelly or Kaberle.  I blame this game on CJ.  If he can't get this team ready there is something wrong.  Martin gets the Habs to pla above their talent. Anyway, I am just frsutrated.  Gotta stay away here after a loss.
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

"Anyway, I am just frsutrated.  Gotta stay away here after a loss."

Lol yeah pretty sure I picked a fight with a few of you for no reason other being drunk/pissed. That and seeing cac-takesituptheass-tony with his usualy BS all over through me over the edge heh.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Isn't it the coaches responsibility to guide the team through games like this?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

I avoided the message boards last night and until now because I knew Habs fans would be way too high (TSN has gone mad) and Bruins fans would be way too low (shocking, I know), but here's what I thought of the game:

Carey Price stole that game. When the Bruins played -- and that was maybe half the game, at most -- they controled the play. For all you baseball fans, the hockey playoffs are somewhat similar in that you get 3 strikes. Price through a hell of a curveball to start things off but let's not pretend like the Habs as a team blew a fastball by the Bruins -- shots 31-20 BOS. The hockey gods will probably throw game 4 our way when the Habs seem to be all over the ice and we somehow win 3-1.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

Price did not steal the game. When did he make a great save?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dc-bruins-fan. Show dc-bruins-fan's posts

[QUOTE]Chara once again is showing that he can't take his game to the next level.  I had a mini debate 2 days ago with Dez re: Gill over Chara.  Gill knows what it takes to win and plays a great shutdown game.  Chara hasn't learned how to win. 
    Posted by shuperman[/QUOTE]

Disagree, Shupe. Chara was a machine out there last night. 5 shots (would have led all Habs, Marchand had 6, next closest was Horton at 3) that all had a good chance of going in or created a follow up opportunity. He didn't make any mistakes defensively and was a much better quarterback of the pp last night than Kaberle. With a little better luck (and this goes for the team overall), he'd have a couple points and the team would have a game 1 win. To me, the Habs didn't show anything Eric Staal-esque, and I think Z should keep it up.

The real problem was Kaberle. He was awful, awful, awful. Million times awful. At this rate, let's consider Joe C and the 1st sunk cost and move on. Hopefully he picks it up.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RickyHussle. Show RickyHussle's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now? : Disagree, Shupe. Chara was a machine out there last night. 5 shots (would have led all Habs, Marchand had 6, next closest was Horton at 3) that all had a good chance of going in or created a follow up opportunity. He didn't make any mistakes defensively and was a much better quarterback of the pp last night than Kaberle. With a little better luck (and this goes for the team overall), he'd have a couple points and the team would have a game 1 win. To me, the Habs didn't show anything Eric Staal-esque, and I think Z should keep it up. The real problem was Kaberle. He was awful, awful, awful. Million times awful. At this rate, let's consider Joe C and the 1st sunk cost and move on. Hopefully he picks it up.
    Posted by dc-bruins-fan[/QUOTE]

I also thought Chara played well.  He took it upon himself to rush the puck a little when the team went through tough stretches on the breakout.  I see this from him often and I think he s very effective when he does so.  He took good shots from the point knowing when to rip a slapper and also when there was room to skate in and take a wrister.  He did put too many shots right on the goalie, but generally Dmen shooting the puck are hoping to shoot into traffic and there was seemingly none for the B's last night.  Traffic is not something Chara can create, the Forwards got to help out, and I'm sure that will be improved in game 2.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]Isn't it the coaches responsibility to guide the team through games like this?
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

BINGO!  The "brain" and not the heart?  That is the coach's job.

And yes, everyone did say "effort."

And many were drinking, including myself.

And the words "effort" and "heartless" were used.

Substitute brainless.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

There's a reason they play a 7 game series instead of a 1 game playoff.I know all kinds of Habs fans who were happy about the win but disappointed by how badly they were outplayed.I'm confident Boston will steamroll the Habs if TT steps up and the forwards bear down on their scoring chances. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigvig. Show bigvig's posts

See, I thought Chara was a ghost out there, except for that 4-5 minutes where the Bruins dominated play in the second, and he rifled off a bunch of shots from the blue line that were unobstructed.  He didnt hit ANYONE!  He tried to force guys to the outside all night long and I dont recall one big hit.  I kept screaming at the TV, "HIT SOMEONE, DAMNIT!!!!"

Listen, Price stole last nights game, simple as that.  Bruins didnt go hard to the net and jam up the middle at all (maybe a couple times for a SMALL amount of time) but Price gave them NOTHING!  We all knew/know he is/was capable of that, the good news is he is capable of laying an egg too.  Bruins skated like the Canadiens out there, but thats NOT their game!  I dont understand why such little physical play.  They need to POUND the Habs relentlessly and clog up the front of the net.  Its that simple.

Chara needs to be physical, Kaberle looks terrible as a Bruin, Horton and Lucic need to dump the puck, get Krejci to chase it and crash the net for the pass.  Its that simple.  Nobody except Kaberle looks down right bad (well, Seidenberg looked crappy at times), but nobody looked like they were playing really hard either.  Although he gave up 2 goals, I thought Thomas looked fantastic overall and he doesnt worry me one bit.  Its the rest of the team I have an issue with over last nights game. 

The Habs never gave up and when offered a chance they took advantage of it.  Bruins made 2 key mistakes and Montreal capitalized.  Any surprise?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

All I know is Plekanec made him look like he was standing still.  His big boomer is of no use.  This isnt the Mighty Ducks movie.  I just want him getting pucks on net.  Chara didnt play terrible.  But he has a C on his jersey. And in games like this you need your captains to shine.  Like Gionta. 

Again, I am not puttng this on Chara.  I just don't think he is capible of taking it to a new level of play.  Until he does we will never win.  And he is not alone.  A lot of passengers last night.

Price may not have stole that game but they did what they had to do.  Steal home ice.  Thank god we have a good road team.  But Montreal is gonna be a zoo.  And Saturday is an absolute must win. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Nice Books !

Embarrassed is how the Habs felt when they got whipped 7-0 their last game and last night they made sure it would not happen. Trap trap trap and built a fortress around Price.
    Look back at how they scored their goals and how they were all over the Hab D that game.

Now,  even though my prediction of this series is not what Bruin fans want to hear there is a lot of time for the Bruins to prove me wrong.
    For one "Enough with playing careful ! "
    Drive to net is easier said than done.  If the forward bringing in the puck is taking a shot on net there's no way any Bruin is getting to the front of the net before the puck arrives.
    This is where the Bruins have to play "their" game (not that fancy smancy game that BookBoy is talking about).  The Montreal D must pay the price, hit them all the time constantly.  Instead of them having all the time to pass the puck within their own zone they'll make mistakes.  They will get worn down along with their forwards coming back into the D zone.
    Yes it's that simple.
    All of you saying it's the coaches fault they are not going to the net are mistaken. I'm sure they've preached this over and over . The problem it's the players and the way they are executing.
    There is something about the coaches I ask myself ;  why is it when it's a game that the refs are looking at closely so it doesn't get out of hand they come out so flat and don;t play their game ?  (i.e. Coke affair last season and loss to Montreal 4-1 in March)
    What type of hypnosis is the coaching staff doing to these guys ?

Bruins will win tomorrow night,  that I'm certain.  The problem is the 2 games in Montreal .

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]Why is everyone so pissed.  The bruins dictated the tempo of the whole game last night and the canadians scored on two miss ques.  Even the "electric" canadians power play did nothing.  75% of the game was played on the canadians end of the ice with the bruins blasting away at the net.  The problem was that they werent quality shots and Price let up no second chance shots.  They lost game one but I have to tell you if the bruins play the same way they did last night theres no way they loose this series. 
    Posted by prob2236[/QUOTE]

Go tell the Caps and the Penguins that.  The Canadiens are playing the same way that they did last year in the playoffs, trap, 5 guys in the slot, blocking shots, allowing lots of low percentage shots, and converting on mistakes.  The Bruins & CJ played right into their hands.  The Bruins will only win by punishing the Habs physically, and they did none of that last night!  They played exactly how their pussification coach wanted them to and that is why they lost.  The Habs were frightened last time in the Garden, this time because of CJ's warnings, they skated without a worry in the world!  Dictating "tempo" doesn't mean jack against this team, they don't care if you get 50 shots off against them.  They do care if they get physically dominated.  If the Bruins don't change back to 3/24 style, they are done and so is CJ and PC!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

The coach's fault? Come on guys, it seems everyone has their axe to grind here. Julien should have made Price give up a juicy rebound. If Chara were a "real winner" he should have talked to Kaberle and told him not to make blind passes to nowhere, Thomas should have given up less than 2 goals. Was I so pissed I couldn't utter a word last night? I sure was. But let's see this game for what it was, the Bruins just didn't have what it takes last night.. timing and sniper scoring touch. They were physical, they carried the play for most of the game, a missed one-timer here, an ill-timed hiccup of at the blue line, a screen in front of Price being too early or late, Marchand's inexcusable miss. I'm not giving up hope, but I certainly hope things right themselves.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]The coach's fault? Come on guys, it seems everyone has their axe to grind here. Julien should have made Price give up a juicy rebound. If Chara were a "real winner" he should have talked to Kaberle and told him not to make blind passes to nowhere, Thomas should have given up less than 2 goals. Was I so pissed I couldn't utter a word last night? I sure was. But let's see this game for what it was, the Bruins just didn't have what it takes last night.. timing and sniper scoring touch. They were physical, they carried the play for most of the game, a missed one-timer here, an ill-timed hiccup of at the blue line, a screen in front of Price being too early or late, Marchand's inexcusable miss. I'm not giving up hope, but I certainly hope things right themselves.
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

Not the same game that I saw!  They played like a bunch of pansies!  The Habs were as comfortable as any team I have ever seen in a playoff game on the visitors ice!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now? : Not the same game that I saw!  They played like a bunch of pansies!  The Habs were as comfortable as any team I have ever seen in a playoff game on the visitors ice!
    Posted by MeanE[/QUOTE]
    Really? We must have been watching different games. The game I saw clearly had the ice tilted in the Bruins favor. The Canadians counter-attack was clearly superior, but the Bruins had the puck in their zone far more often with no or ill-timed traffic in front of the net.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MeanE. Show MeanE's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now? : Really? We must have been watching different games. The game I saw clearly had the ice tilted in the Bruins favor. The Canadians counter-attack was clearly superior, but the Bruins had the puck in their zone far more often with no or ill-timed traffic in front of the net.

I didn't say that the ice wasn't tilted or that the Bruins didn't have more attack zone time.  I was commenting on you saying they were physical.  To me they clearly were not.  The Habs didn't care last year about the ice being tilted against the Caps or Pens and they don't care now either.  They do care if you pound the living crap out of them along the boards and anywhere else on the ice, and clearly the B's did not do that.  CJ and the Boys played into the Habs effective, boring azz approach!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 123meg. Show 123meg's posts

The Bruins have no one who can be relied upon to get a goal when they really need one.  Until that changes there will be early playoff exits.  One shot for Lucic last night?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Shadowcpt. Show Shadowcpt's posts

The Bruins were tight, too many faulty passes, poorly handled passes, no traffic in front of Prince, shots yes - but not effective shots.

They're not going to out skate/finese the hated Habs. they have to out hit them and punish them in the corners or they're on the way to a first round exit.

Get past the red line and put the puck in the corners and out hustle them - at least until they improve their passing and make effective shots.

And please for the love of God, will Krejci - attack the net once in a while! Boy drives me crazy - always trying to make a highlight pass - too much talent to become a pass only center

TT needs to calm also, he was cleary not comfortable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Okay, Everybody Sober Now? : Really? We must have been watching different games. The game I saw clearly had the ice tilted in the Bruins favor. The Canadians counter-attack was clearly superior, but the Bruins had the puck in their zone far more often with no or ill-timed traffic in front of the net.

What MeanE was trying to tell you is it doesn't matter if the ice was tilted in the Habs end , if they don't get any up close scoring chances and the Habs keep all the shots from the outside without any puck penetration to the net it doesn't matter how long you spend in their own zone.  Especially if you're not making their D pay a price.
    When they do get the puck on net the Bruin forecheckers are not close enough to the net and either the puck is already on it's way out an/or Price freezes the puck.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

Good post BB, plus shupe and MeanE. Claude has been preaching, stay away from the penalties for a week, so much that some of the Bruins had hesitation built in. Also, the critique of slap shots hitting the big CH are right on. Where are the tips and corner picks?? Keep Chara on the point and put Ryder in front. Looch, Horton, Kelly, Peverly, Ryder, Bergie, all have to crash the net. Price stole the game because he limited the rebounds. Slap shots usually create rebounds, but Price smothered them, so the Bruins Coaching staff should have altered how the D put the puck on net. Hopefully REX realizes that his age, not his heart, has reduced his effectiveness. He had two dead on shots that hit Price in the chest. Granted Seguin needs to get stronger and heavier, but against the Habs his speed , passing, and quick release just might be useful.