Olympics?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

Olympics?

I'm sure many of you have thought about it, but I'm really concerned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: Olympics?

Concerned about what?

The Bruins are likely only sending four players - Rask, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci. If Eriksson recovers, he'll go, and there are two long shots in Lucic and (super long-shot) Krug. Boston likely won't send as many players as most teams, and the four that we will send for sure don't have recent injury concerns. I don't see what there is to be concerned about.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to red75's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Concerned about what?

The Bruins are likely only sending four players - Rask, Chara, Bergeron and Krejci. If Eriksson recovers, he'll go, and there are two long shots in Lucic and (super long-shot) Krug. Boston likely won't send as many players as most teams, and the four that we will send for sure don't have recent injury concerns. I don't see what there is to be concerned about.

[/QUOTE]

Might be all the suicide bombings.   Having known many who worked the 2010s the security will be so tight people should have nothing to worry about.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

If they can't stop the bombings now I don't understand the todays  "security will be tighter" statement.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Well the IOC was pretty stupid when they picked Sochi to begin with from a security stanpoint (It's sandwhiched in between Georgia and the Caucasuses where all of Russia's unrest over the last two decades has been cntred) That said, having seen the degree of security up close in 2010, I'm certain Russia's precautions will blow that away.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

If they can't stop the bombings now I don't understand the todays  "security will be tighter" statement.

Because those bombings took place outside of where the security perimeter will be set. There's a high likelihood the security in Sochi will be tight enough, but the rest of Russia? It's the largest country on the planet with hundreds of thousands potential targets. That would be nigh impossible to secure, but the Olympics themselves? Well hopefully they're set up enough to prevent another Atlanta or Munich.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

This is the first time I've seen the word "concerned" used here appropriately.

People are blowing themselves up in protest.

It's not good.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

In response to red75's comment:[QUOTE] If they can't stop the bombings now I don't understand the todays  "security will be tighter" statement.

Well hopefully they're set up enough to prevent another Atlanta or Munich.[/QUOTE]

That guy still got in. But I could see a point of "that was before 9/11". If I were an athlete heading over there I would have to be concerned. To me Russia is still unsettled after the fall in 1989.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I can only speak of vancouver but it was unbelievable.  i cant see them sending athletes there if it continues but these athletes will be in a secure community.  People coming to watch the events will be screened long before they get close.  If they can make Brazil safe they can make Russia safe.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Believe this is the same outfit to prepped the Tsarnaevs (sp?).

I think the Olympics will have adequate security and there is always some risk.  If I were an athlete, I'd prefer to be in Lillehammer though...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Hope nothing happens, the security precautions taken at events like these are usually air tight. A friend of mine was involved in the security for Vancouver in 2010, amazing to hear what he had to say when it came to things they prevent that the public doesn't hear, in everyday life situations, not just these events.

One thing he told me is that you can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause. I think they do a pretty good job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

In response to kelvana33's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hope nothing happens, the security precautions taken at events like these are usually air tight. A friend of mine was involved in the security for Vancouver in 2010, amazing to hear what he had to say when it came to things they prevent that the public doesn't hear, in everyday life situations, not just these events.

One thing he told me is that you can never 100% defend against someone who is willing to die for their cause. I think they do a pretty good job.

[/QUOTE]

That is hard to defend against. I hope for evryone's sake the security is airtight.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from watchtower. Show watchtower's posts

[QUOTE]

Because those bombings took place outside of where the security perimeter will be set. There's a high likelihood the security in Sochi will be tight enough, but the rest of Russia? It's the largest country on the planet with hundreds of thousands potential targets. That would be nigh impossible to secure, but the Olympics themselves? Well hopefully they're set up enough to prevent another Atlanta or Munich.

[/QUOTE]

That's it Red. I think they may attempt to cause sustained havoc outside of the Olympic venue.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/30/22110562-bombings-fuel-fears-about-sochi-threat-by-emir-of-caucasus-doku-umarov?lite

Another scum Doku Umarov, on the loose.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

If I was supposed to go to Sochi and had a family? I wouldn't be going. Simple as that. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If I was supposed to go to Sochi and had a family? I wouldn't be going. Simple as that. 

[/QUOTE]

I understand your sentiment but when you train your entire life to get one shot at the Olympics, staying home is a pretty tough ask. Also, and I know there are risks and we shouldn't expect athletes to be making political statements through their actions, but isn't getting people to change their personal actions exactly one of the goals of terrorist acts like this?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from suffolkowner. Show suffolkowner's posts

It was my understanding that prior to the bombings. The Russians were already planning on locking the Olympic area starting on Jan 7, effectively martial law, unable to travel without permits, inspection etc..

Next Winter Olympics is in S. Korea another great part of the world. It's not like the IOC didn't know they were placing the Olympics in an area where there has been a semi-active rebellion, war for independence going on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nolakanookie. Show Nolakanookie's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Moosejaw...I spent a week there one night

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nas? Why do you have Dez's boarding pass? Also, was there a connection made in Calgary? I see the YYC which is Calgary's airport code.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I understand your sentiment but when you train your entire life to get one shot at the Olympics, staying home is a pretty tough ask. Also, and I know there are risks and we shouldn't expect athletes to be making political statements through their actions, but isn't getting people to change their personal actions exactly one of the goals of terrorist acts like this?

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair statement Red, but in all honesty I don't know if I'd be able to concentrate & not be afraid for my life. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Gee, potential suicide bombers and an Olympic team with Kessel and Wheeler.

Why am I thinking it's going to be a miserable 2 weeks?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nas? Why do you have Dez's boarding pass? Also, was there a connection made in Calgary? I see the YYC which is Calgary's airport code.

[/QUOTE]

Because NAS is dez.  Didn't you know?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

it's called photoshop

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

NAS ought to book himself a flight to Yellow Knife, he needs to chill out.