One Small Change

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Re: One Small Change

See and I have the exact opposite feelings - I like the NESN games partly because they don't have anyone between the benches. I don't find that it adds anything to the broadcast, and if anything serves as a distraction to the coaches. Does Pierre Maguire really have to be bugging a coach while he's trying to make a line change?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to red75's comment:

See and I have the exact opposite feelings - I like the NESN games partly because they don't have anyone between the benches. I don't find that it adds anything to the broadcast, and if anything serves as a distraction to the coaches. Does Pierre Maguire really have to be bugging a coach while he's trying to make a line change?

Don't like the interviewing coaches part either, -sukz

Do like getting a feel of the emotion of the game. That really is enhanced with someone at ice level who can hear what's happening on the benches and on the ice without talking to anyone. Ice level is def a different perspective, that adds to the broadcast for me.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I like the cameramen and some audio from ice level/between the benches for sure.  I think they could do without a correspondent though.  

Maybe that's just based of how annoyong Pierre McGuire is though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

The small, subtle change you two are talking about might just be "stop trying to make it a football broadcast."  Sideline reporters, ice girls, blaring music over the system instead of playing the organ (that would only fly indoors and so is pretty much distinctively a hockey thing).  Do your own thing, based on your own ~90 years of tradition.

Are you not entertained?!?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Yeah, I miss the organ - not nearly enough teams still use it. Whenever I hear it, it reminds me of an old Wayne and Shuster sketch (Yes, I'm really that much of a Canadian) called the Unholy Goalie, about a kid whose mom is always pushing him to play the piano but all he wants to do is play hockey. He makes a deal with the Devil who makes him the best goalie in the world and makes it impossible for him to be scored on. The catch is he can only play in the Montreal Forum (I think it was the Forum, but it may have been Maple Leaf Gardens). But being invincible gets boring and he decides that he'd really like to play piano afterall. The Devil shows up and reminds him about the contract, but the goalie points out the Devil didn't specify what he could play in the Forum... so he becomes the organ player.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

Johnny Wayne was hilarious.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JWensink. Show JWensink's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

The small, subtle change you two are talking about might just be "stop trying to make it a football broadcast."  Sideline reporters, ice girls, blaring music over the system instead of playing the organ (that would only fly indoors and so is pretty much distinctively a hockey thing).  Do your own thing, based on your own ~90 years of tradition.

Agree with this - I despise the broadcasts of the other sports, especially the NFL. Don't want any part of that. I'd still like Kluzak or Pederson at ice level, that's a far cry from Michele Tafoya or Suzie i'm putting some bass in my voice Kolber on the sidelines. Painful to endure- yuk

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

First time I heard the "Ya-da da DA da, Ya-da da DU da, Ya-da da DAT da, Ya-da da DU da" part of the Black Keys song "Howling for You", I thought it would be a perfect goal song.

We did that thread a few years ago on goal songs/arena music.  Best suggestion might have been working Bottle of Smoke in and seeing if the Censors could figure out what Shane's singing well enough to bleep the right words at the right time.

Amazing.

25 to 1!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

What about putting some kind of sensor in the puck and in the posts to let us know if/when the puck actually entered the net?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to lambda13's comment:

What about putting some kind of sensor in the puck and in the posts to let us know if/when the puck actually entered the net?

I've been calling for this in all four major sports.  Yes, the costs would go up, but with today's tech options, there is no reason why each puck, baseball, basketball or football isn't covered with a surface that interacts with a field that pinpoints everything.

Refs determining if a puck went in by using eyes only was great in 1945.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaveyN. Show DaveyN's posts

Its just silly that they have not done this yet.  The technology is there, and has been for a while.  Too much room for human error with refs reviewing the tape.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

I'd keep icing during penalty kills.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

"We don't need no microchips inside our hockey pucks."

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nrguy. Show nrguy's posts

1) Get rid of the horn and spotlight on the goal when the home team scores a goal

2) Get rid of Pierre's box - I loved it when there was no buffer in between coaches. 

3) Get rid of the suspension if you fight in the last 5 mins, it always gets rescinded anyhow.

4) Make it a rule that you can't call matching minors when diving is involved.

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mxt. Show mxt's posts

In response to stan17's comment:

All hard shell elbow pads and shoulder pads gone. 

This

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to nrguy's comment:

1) Get rid of the horn and spotlight on the goal when the home team scores a goal

2) Get rid of Pierre's box - I loved it when there was no buffer in between coaches. 

3) Get rid of the suspension if you fight in the last 5 mins, it always gets rescinded anyhow.

4) Make it a rule that you can't call matching minors when diving is involved.

-----------------------------------------
    "Lighten up Francis"

1) Absolutely not, I love it. I see no reason why they should remove this aspect of the game.

2) Eh... there needs to be a space or players may start sword fighting around the glass. Not to mention the doors would be a little too close to each other. I agree with keeping Pierre out, but keep the space.

3) Agree, dumb rule. Also remove the instigator penalty. Only give out the instigator when the other combatant does not drop the gloves.

4) Agree, however, if it's clearly a penalty and they embellish the call make it a 10 minute misconduct. Or just make diving a 10 minute misconduct anyway.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

... just make diving a 10 minute misconduct.

This might just be the smartest idea yet.  I like this a lot, especially if refs felt more inclined to call it because it has less of an impact on the outcome than a 2 minute penalty might.  Players who play on the PP would have to think twice about embellishing - they might draw a PP, but then spend the entire PP and then some in the box watching.  

Clearly the refs are uncomfortable calling a dive without calling the penalty too - so we get "embellishing" rather than "diving" which implies that something was done and the diver is merely dramatizing the effect.  I could see them not wanting to just give the diver a penalty if some seemingly incidental contact happened to prompt the dive.  If you missed some small part of the equation - additional push in the back or contact with the butt end even if the forearm missed - you might be making the double error of punishing a non-dive and letting an actual infraction go.  Any goal scored as a consequence would be a lightning rod.  But if you're just taking a guy out of the rotation for 10 minutes, the competitive balance isn't thrown in quite the same way.  It would still be a sting if, say, Crosby were stuck to the bench and missed 3-4 shifts.  That might make them willing to call just the dive.

Now, if you also had a League/PA partnered "Integrity Commissioner" - like the competition committee who would be empowered to look at every penalty call and assess whether or not the "victim" dove or embellished?  And he/she could make that call (and only that call) regardless of the referee's decision?  Now we're on to something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

How about combining the "dive review" and the "dive misconduct"?  The league reviews dives, and if a player is guilty, then he serves the misconduct at the beginning of his next game (i.e. he has to sit for the first 10 minutes of his next game).  I think most coaches would not want their line combos screwed up for the first half of the 1st period of a game.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I still think diving is just too hard for the refs to keep up with at game speed.  I think they'd get it wrong a lot.  Either miss blantant dives or call a dive when somebody really lost an edge or stepped on a stick which caused a legit flop to the ice.  That's why I like the option of dealing with diving by replay after the game.  Diving is almost always obvious with the review of 5 different camera angles.  Then the league can publicly shame, fine, or suspend depending on severity or number of offenses.

That would end Maxime Lapierre skating by Chara after a whistle and then throwing his head back for no reason.  There would be zero chance that he wouldn't be caught, so he just wouldn't do it.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

I like the idea of after the game review - the most blatant one I can recall is Carcillo freaking out like he got tomahawked in the face and then beaking at the ref for 10 minutes. The replay showed the stick missed his face by three feet. Post game punishment and either a 10 minute misconduct to start the next game, or even a 1 game suspension would put an end to that crap.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

In response to red75's comment:

I like the idea of after the game review - the most blatant one I can recall is Carcillo freaking out like he got tomahawked in the face and then beaking at the ref for 10 minutes. The replay showed the stick missed his face by three feet. Post game punishment and either a 10 minute misconduct to start the next game, or even a 1 game suspension would put an end to that crap.

Perfect example.  Should have been a game suspension for that nonsense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to 49-North's comment:

How about combining the "dive review" and the "dive misconduct"?  The league reviews dives, and if a player is guilty, then he serves the misconduct at the beginning of his next game (i.e. he has to sit for the first 10 minutes of his next game).  I think most coaches would not want their line combos screwed up for the first half of the 1st period of a game.

That's a great idea, but what happens in Game 2 for Vancouver this year when no one is allowed to play the first 10 minutes?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lambda13. Show lambda13's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

In response to 49-North's comment:

That's a great idea, but what happens in Game 2 for Vancouver this year when no one is allowed to play the first 10 minutes?

Lol NAS play nice. He's been a good sport lately.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MDsizzle. Show MDsizzle's posts

Make the stick count as part of the body for offsides. It would give the offense more of a jump on the play which equals more quality chances, shots and goals. Not to mention it would help do away with the stupidity of discussing bigger nets.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BsLegion. Show BsLegion's posts

Didn't want to start a thread about this and since many of you mentioned this.

Seems like this is the regulated redcution ?

Embedded image permalink