Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sportsnutty. Show Sportsnutty's posts

Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick

Dear Doc,

Although I am a Bruins fan and do not get the "pleasure" of listening to your Devils broadcasts, perhaps this uniquely qualifies me to make the following statement with more credibility: "AFTER ONLY TWO SERIES OF LISTENING TO YOU, YOUR ABUSE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS DRIVING FANS NUTS!!!!!"

When you incessently say,
    "Player X CAN make a pass along the blue line." or "Player Y CAN dump the puck in." That does not mean he DOES, like you imply. It means he has the ability to.
    Also, if you use the verb "knife" any more, you may be on the receiving end of one.
    Thanks and love your hockey knowledge.
    Signed,
    Sportsnutty

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick

Doc would like to offer a rebuttal that will "cancel" this post.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In Response to Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick:
    [QUOTE]Dear Doc, Although I am a Bruins fan and do not get the "pleasure" of listening to your Devils broadcasts, perhaps this uniquely qualifies me to make the following statement with more credibility: "AFTER ONLY TWO SERIES OF LISTENING TO YOU, YOUR ABUSE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS DRIVING FANS NUTS!!!!!" When you incessently say, "Player X CAN make a pass along the blue line." or "Player Y CAN dump the puck in." That does not mean he DOES, like you imply. It means he has the ability to. Also, if you use the verb "knife" any more, you may be on the receiving end of one. Thanks and love your hockey knowledge. Signed, Sportsnutty
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]

I guess after you lose a heart-breaker, going after the PBP allows you let off a little steam.

That said, let me join you.  I think this guy is awful.  Seguin is Horton, Krejci is Peverley and on and on.  Did you know that Zdeno Chara is the owner of a 106 mph slap-shot?  I had no idea, thank you for the insight and sharing that nugget at least once per game. 

Hearing Doc 1-2 per season is bearable, listening to him every game is not.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

In Response to Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick:
    [QUOTE]Dear Doc, Although I am a Bruins fan and do not get the "pleasure" of listening to your Devils broadcasts, perhaps this uniquely qualifies me to make the following statement with more credibility: "AFTER ONLY TWO SERIES OF LISTENING TO YOU, YOUR ABUSE OF THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE IS DRIVING FANS NUTS!!!!!" When you incessently say, "Player X CAN make a pass along the blue line." or "Player Y CAN dump the puck in." That does not mean he DOES, like you imply. It means he has the ability to. Also, if you use the verb "knife" any more, you may be on the receiving end of one. Thanks and love your hockey knowledge. Signed, Sportsnutty
    Posted by Sportsnutty[/QUOTE]
    My brother and I wondered what it meant for a pass to be "squibbed".It apparently happened at least 10 times but I don't get it. I kept waiting for the puck to blow up.......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jerrynewyork. Show jerrynewyork's posts

Mike Emrick might be the most over rated play by play person in the history of televised sports.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Yes, yes, yes.  'Squibbed', 'cancelled', and 'knifed' have all been grossly and repeatedly misused/overused.  Enough already.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Doc Obvious
    Just stick to play by play, please. Save the commentary. You've got McGuire for the ball washing duties.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from felixwas. Show felixwas's posts

I like Emrick's style when the action is so fast that he doesn't have time to think about trying to out-word the great Danny Gallivan. He really is quite good then. But when he has time to think, we get "ricochet," "filtered" and "re-gathered" and, yes, so many "knifed" that you'd think he worked at a cutlery plant.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Al-Samarraie. Show Al-Samarraie's posts

I agree that the terms he uses are awful, "squibbed, knifed, punched back in". However, the fact that he states the obvious (Chara's slapshot, icing etc), I attribute to the fact that there are a lot of "fake" fans watching the Finals, and they don't know as much about hockey as us who watch every game of the regular season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from derrickmorin. Show derrickmorin's posts

I am actually going to switch over to NBC rather than continue watching on CBC.  It is so frustrating listening to them bash the Bruins all night.  They talk like the B's have no business even playing in the league and constantly make sarcastic remarks about the PP.  We all know the PP is terrible you don't have to blast them every 5 seconds. 

Ummm...they are in the finals...they must be decent

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I actually like Doc, everyone has their own style, I dont get the insults towards him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In Response to Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick:
    [QUOTE]I actually like Doc, everyone has their own style, I dont get the insults towards him.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

I'll make it a bit easier for you.

I don't like him because he sounds like a whiny grandmother and has a very shallow bucket of descriptive words.

Oh, and he gets the players names wrong often, which is something that Jack NEVER does.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Chaira and Kahhhberle

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

Give it a break. Emrick is passionate and has a tremendous knowledge of the game. His unique vocabulary would make him an even better radio announcer but he is one of the best (no homer) announcers in the league. He relates to the most avid fan but has a keen way of involving the casual fan who may be watching for the first time.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]Give it a break. Emrick is passionate and has a tremendous knowledge of the game. His unique vocabulary would make him an even better radio announcer but he is one of the best (no homer) announcers in the league. He relates to the most avid fan but has a keen way of involving the casual fan who may be watching for the first time.
    Posted by zamboni24[/QUOTE]

Yep, we shouldn't have our opinions.  We should just listen to what the masses have to say about him.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from logeseats. Show logeseats's posts

I can't believe it but this guy actually makes me miss Jack Edwards.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick : I'll make it a bit easier for you. I don't like him because he sounds like a whiny grandmother and has a very shallow bucket of descriptive words. Oh, and he gets the players names wrong often, which is something that Jack NEVER does.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

When someone does one team and mixes in some nationally televised games theyre gonna miss some names. Gary Thorne always did it when he did hockey for ESPN. I like him, love his passion and think he is one of the best in the business. I think your in the minority here, he's the one chosen to do hockeys biggest games.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick : When someone does one team and mixes in some nationally televised games theyre gonna miss some names. Gary Thorne always did it when he did hockey for ESPN. I like him, love his passion and think he is one of the best in the business. I think your in the minority here, he's the one chosen to do hockeys biggest games.
    Posted by kelvana33[/QUOTE]

Olczyk is also chosen to "do hockeys biggest games".  Is it okay if I can't stand him either?  How about Pierre?  He's always there.  I think he's an imp.  What about JR?  I loved his style on the ice, but in the pressbox, I think he's a dip.

Want to know who else I don't like?  The Beatles.  I also think Megan Fox is gross.  More than half of our country chose Obama.  I can't stand the guy.  Law and Order:  SVU has been on forever and wins all kinds of awards.  I hate that stupid show.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beezfan4life. Show Beezfan4life's posts

[QUOTE]Doc Obvious Just stick to play by play, please. Save the commentary. You've got McGuire for the ball washing duties.
    Posted by seobrien[/QUOTE]
    ^^^^ Classic!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49-North. Show 49-North's posts

[QUOTE]I am actually going to switch over to NBC rather than continue watching on CBC.  It is so frustrating listening to them bash the Bruins all night.  They talk like the B's have no business even playing in the league and constantly make sarcastic remarks about the PP.  We all know the PP is terrible you don't have to blast them every 5 seconds.  Ummm...they are in the finals...they must be decent
    Posted by derrickmorin[/QUOTE]

So, it's unanimous!  Both Canuck AND Bruin fans hate the CBC.  Not so much Jim Hughson's play-by-play, which we love 'cause he's a good BC boy and used to be the Canucks' radio and regional TV p-b-p guy, but mainly for the Ron & Don show.  Ron hates the Canucks because he's a part-time minor league ref, and Burrows had the audacity to call out Stephane Auger, so now he's blacklisted by all refs; and Don because he's a buffoon.  Game 1 of the Cup Finals, and he's ranting on about the painting of the Queen in the old Winnipeg Arena!

Nice to know that we have something in common after all.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinBuff. Show BruinBuff's posts

" A Stoppage and What have We?"   " Two Seconds and One" "Helter Skelter"

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 50belowzero. Show 50belowzero's posts

Speak for yourself about Hughson. About the biggest Canuck bag sniffer around.Every time he says "great save Luongo" after a dump in makes me ill.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick : Olczyk is also chosen to "do hockeys biggest games".  Is it okay if I can't stand him either?  How about Pierre?  He's always there.  I think he's an imp.  What about JR?  I loved his style on the ice, but in the pressbox, I think he's a dip. Want to know who else I don't like?  The Beatles.  I also think Megan Fox is gross.  More than half of our country chose Obama.  I can't stand the guy.  Law and Order:  SVU has been on forever and wins all kinds of awards.  I hate that stupid show.
    Posted by Not-A-Shot[/QUOTE]

Pierre is okay.
    meghan Fox, a bit overplayed but I wouldnt kick her out of bed.
    Beatles, I only listen to country or sportsradio
    Obama, I don't vote.
    Law And order, SVU ,never seen an episode
    JR, says things to get a rise, NHL's versionof Schilling.
    Everyone has their opinion, I dont mind Doc, there are worse out there.
    I'll throw in some more.
    1. Never seen an Indiana Jones movie.
    2. I couldnt name six celtics if my life depended on it.
    3. I didnt know there was an NBA team in Oklahoma til last week.
    4. I often wonder what the heck happened to Boo Berry and Count Chocula.
    5. I think Family Guy is the funniest show on TV followed by Curb Your Enthusiasm and East Bound & Down.
    6. I've never seen an episode of the Simpsons or the Office...
    7. The last Bruins game I did not see was October 2001, Ray Bourque night, my buddy did not record it for me as I was away.

Yet I like Doc Emrick, to each their own.Enjoy the series

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Open letter to Mike "Doc" Emrick : So, it's unanimous!  Both Canuck AND Bruin fans hate the CBC.  Not so much Jim Hughson's play-by-play, which we love 'cause he's a good BC boy and used to be the Canucks' radio and regional TV p-b-p guy, but mainly for the Ron & Don show.  Ron hates the Canucks because he's a part-time minor league ref, and Burrows had the audacity to call out Stephane Auger, so now he's blacklisted by all refs; and Don because he's a buffoon.  Game 1 of the Cup Finals, and he's ranting on about the painting of the Queen in the old Winnipeg Arena! Nice to know that we have something in common after all.
    Posted by 49-North[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what any of this means....but I imagine it's something like talking about Ellsbury's OBP and Dave Roberts.

The main difference between our fan bases? Passion is the same, but you won't see "This is what we LIVE for" banners at the Garden.

enjoy the Bruins immensely. I enjoy playing the game. I enjoy frosty beverages, hiking, bluegrass, summer evenings on the boat and theme parks. I wish The West Wing was still on tv. 

I live, however, for my family and for the concept that my time on this planet will have a positive impact on others.

Priorities.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from adkbeesfan. Show adkbeesfan's posts

well said asmaha...my sentiments exactly.