OT: Need Some Help (from long time posters)- Cyberspace communications

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

OT: Need Some Help (from long time posters)- Cyberspace communications

Hey guys,

I've posted here a couple of times and I need some of your help. I'm in a university class called "Sociology of Cyberspace" and I wanted to ask one long time poster here some questions for an assignment I have to do. It won't take too long, will be some questions about comunicating on the internet- nothign too serious. Please message me if you are interested.

Full disclosure: I am a habs fan- but try not to hold that against me! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

Re: OT: Need Some Help (from long time posters)- Cyberspace communications

In response to EricRGreen's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Hey guys,

I've posted here a couple of times and I need some of your help. I'm in a university class called "Sociology of Cyberspace" and I wanted to ask one long time poster here some questions for an assignment I have to do. It won't take too long, will be some questions about comunicating on the internet- nothign too serious. Please message me if you are interested.

[/QUOTE]

It seems like messaging usually doesn't work here, one of BDC's glitches.  Can't speak for others, but I don't think people are real interested in identifying themselves either, since there are a lot of nutjobs on the internet, so I would just post your questions here and I bet someone will answer them.

Ole?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

I'm with Fletch.  

There's at least one poster out there that might do me bodily harm.  

And there's at least one poster I would be interested in doing bodily harm, or at least give some serious thought about how I could make their life miserable.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallydouglas. Show wallydouglas's posts

Tour first post mar 16 2011 and last mar 4 2013 and a few in between but i dont recall seeing your name before.

Im with Bad and Fletch on this one,

You can ask your questions directed at whoever you choose on the boards and just ignore others replys except the one you choose.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Yah, I don't see why you wouldn't just post the survey on here and then get lots of wiseass answers.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

thanks guys, I appreciate it. I figured people wouldn't really be in to the messaging thing but it was worht a try. Just thought it would be easier to give answers without the whole message board lookign in but here you go:

Question 1: How does annonymity affect your online communications? IF you were not anonymous, woudl you act any differently then you do now online? 

Question 2: What was your first experience with online message boards/forums?

Question 3: How have previous experiences you had on the internet affected how you act in this forum or forums in general?

Any answers would be awesome! Feel free to message me or whatnot. If you could answer it it woudl be great, if not I'll move onto another forum. No hard feelings.

PS: The last time I posted here was a long time ago but the point was to go to a site where I don't USUALLY post to.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

[QUOTE]

thanks guys, I appreciate it. I figured people wouldn't really be in to the messaging thing but it was worht a try. Just thought it would be easier to give answers without the whole message board lookign in but here you go:

Question 1: How does annonymity affect your online communications? IF you were not anonymous, woudl you act any differently then you do now online? 

I certainly treat the forum members I've met with a lot more courtesy than the ones I haven't.  The anonymity is impersonal, no way around it and long before the internet.  I once did tech support for a computer company.  Not just any idiot could call, it was only the system admins and high ups.  I found that the ones I met personally treated me much more respectfully than the ones I didn't.

The first system that the Globe had, it was an online chat instant messaging kind of thing and it was horrible.  It was like inviting yourself into a private conversation.

Question 3: How have previous experiences you had on the internet affected how you act in this forum or forums in general?

Certainly, especially since the poster who pretended to be a young attractive and provactive young woman and it turned out to be a black male.  Makes me skeptical and suspicious.  And what is the alledged purpose of this phoney baloney scam that you're running here by the way?

Any answers would be awesome! Feel free to message me or whatnot. If you could answer it it woudl be great, if not I'll move onto another forum. No hard feelings.

PS: The last time I posted here was a long time ago but the point was to go to a site where I don't USUALLY post to.

[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

Oh - and I forgot, my edits to the last post, first and last lines should be

Hey you dill weed fraud,

Your bud, the BadHab

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Q 1:  A poster known as Kennedy97 spoke the best on internet behavior when he  interjected a comment on a thread that turned into a personal attack.  He wrote of Godwin's Law (wiki defined).  There are degrees to the extreme of Godwin's Law in some threads. Most on BDC are considerate.  

As to communicating differently,  yes, but no difference of one's behavior in a bar compared to the same in a church.  Physical imaging and body language is also replaced by knowlege of the sport (hockey).  Usually I will not challenge anyone who is speaking of specific skills and professional experience, I tend to read more than post as a result. There are some great posters.  

Generally I find that posters react to my posts similar to what others do in a public forum.  In other word, popeye.  "I am what I am and its all I can bees."

Q2:  As a teacher discussing education etc. with other teachers.

Q3:  I do get sensitive about rebuttals or remarks, yet as a teacher you get that constantly.  I do get annoyed but tend to simply not read certain posters.  Most people who post are looking for commonality on the subject of hockey.

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment: 
    [QUOTE]

This isn't a scam whatsoever. It is a legit survey I have to do for a University class. Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec. Course is titled "Sociology of Cyberspace" SOCI 221

[QUOTE]

I certainly treat the forum members I've met with a lot more courtesy than the ones I haven't.  The anonymity is impersonal, no way around it and long before the internet.  I once did tech support for a computer company.  Not just any idiot could call, it was only the system admins and high ups.  I found that the ones I met personally treated me much more respectfully than the ones I didn't.

The first system that the Globe had, it was an online chat instant messaging kind of thing and it was horrible.  It was like inviting yourself into a private conversation.

Certainly, especially since the poster who pretended to be a young attractive and provactive young woman and it turned out to be a black male.  Makes me skeptical and suspicious.  And what is the alledged purpose of this phoney baloney scam that you're running here by the way?

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate it!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

BH, checked out his story and found this

http://www.academia.edu/4625955/SOCI221_2AA_Sociology_of_Cyberspace

/seems legit. I'll maybe fill it out later when I have time.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to red75's comment:

So.... it turns out that everything on the internet IS true?

Awesome!

I've got a whole lot of emails I have to answer.  There's this poor Russian girl who is taking off her clothes and doing other stuff to get money for her poor sick mother, but money isn't going to be a problem because of this potential deal with a guy in Nigeria who's been writing me.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

heh - well if it's a lie, it's a good lie.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

In response to BadHabitude's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to red75's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

So.... it turns out that everything on the internet IS true?

Awesome!

I've got a whole lot of emails I have to answer.  There's this poor Russian girl who is taking off her clothes and doing other stuff to get money for her poor sick mother, but money isn't going to be a problem because of this potential deal with a guy in Nigeria who's been writing me.

[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, Badhab.

I once had a supposed Spanish Lawyer email me with news that I was the only living kin of an old guy who died in Madrid a few years before and left a $3 million fortune which I could be entitled to.

All I had to do was send him $25,000 so that he could file the necessary paper work to extend the legal time requirement for finding a relative and file an official claim to the money. And a further $100,000 when I got the inheritance.

Well, I know I don't have any relatives that I'm aware of in Spain. I do have a Great-great-great Grandfather who was from Spain and came to Italy in the early 1800's and remained. So it seemed a bit too far fetched.

However, if that was the right branch of the family - there are no shortage of relatives on four continents around the world.

Anyway, I used the email properties to find a website. The website turned out to be registered to someone from Atlanta whose name came up on internet fraud cases based in Nigeria.

I could have been a millionaire!!????

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seobrien. Show seobrien's posts

Don't post too often but have been on this forum a long time. I don't post in (many) other forums...even other BDC forums. It's weird, I feel like a bunch of folks here are my imaginary friends. Hockey fans are just a different breed I guess.

It used to a lot more than it does now. Anonimity makes you feel tough. I'd like to see a certain few posters here walk up to Shawn Thornton and talk the way they do about him to his face. Over the years I realize that in internet forums you should treat your responses as if you actually knew the people you were chatting with.

Luckily, this is the only board I've every been invested in. Like any forum, it brings out decent folks who love hockey as well as the trolls and whackjobs. I've seen some good posters disappear because of the noise, flame jobs, and malarkey they had to encounter before being able to get to hockey talk. Luckily, there are some good, knowlegable,  and witty posters here. They know who they are.  This general premise hasn't changed much over the years.

First rule in this particular forum...know what you're talking about and don't try to BS your way, these are savvy hockey folks for the most part.  Most importantly, assume everyone  knows who you are and treat every discussion with a modicum of courtesy. Manners are manners and should not be ignored just because you feel anonymous.  In short I try to address most posters here as if they were real people that I share a common bond with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BadHabitude. Show BadHabitude's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Sounds interesting, Badhab.

I once had a supposed Spanish Lawyer email me with news that I was the only living kin of an old guy who died in Madrid a few years before and left a $3 million fortune which I could be entitled to.

All I had to do was send him $25,000 so that he could file the necessary paper work to extend the legal time requirement for finding a relative and file an official claim to the money. And a further $100,000 when I got the inheritance.

Well, I know I don't have any relatives that I'm aware of in Spain. I do have a Great-great-great Grandfather who was from Spain and came to Italy in the early 1800's and remained. So it seemed a bit too far fetched.

However, if that was the right branch of the family - there are no shortage of relatives on four continents around the world.

Anyway, I used the email properties to find a website. The website turned out to be registered to someone from Atlanta whose name came up on internet fraud cases based in Nigeria.

I could have been a millionaire!!????

[/QUOTE]

Ha!  All I have to send the Nigerian guy is 5k and I get 10 mil!

And you should see what my Russian girlfriend will do for only 2k!

I hope my wife doesn't find out about this, what could go wrong?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EricRGreen. Show EricRGreen's posts

Thanks alot guys. I really appreciate it. This has been a big help. Thanks for not just writting me off! 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011. Show StanleyCuptotheBruinsin2011's posts

[QUOTE]

Hey guys,

[/QUOTE]

Habs fan ??   3 strikes you're out ....