Pavelski 5 Yr. extension, Zuccarello avoids arbitration & Leafs Fraser 1 yr.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Pavelski 5 Yr. extension, Zuccarello avoids arbitration & Leafs Fraser 1 yr.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679090&navid=nhl:topheads

San Jose Sharks center Joe Pavelski doesn't have to worry about playing out the final season of his contract. The Sharks signed Pavelski to a five-year extension Tuesday, guaranteeing he'll be under contract through the 2018-19 season. The new contract, reported by ESPN's Craig Custance to be worth $30 million, starts with the 2014-15 season."

"The New York Rangers have avoided arbitration with forward Mats Zuccarello, agreeing to a new contract Tuesday. TSN's Darren Dreger is reporting it is a one-year, $1.15 million deal.

Zuccarello, 25, added a goal and seven assists in 12 Stanley Cup Playoff games. Zuccarello has 11 goals and 34 points in 67 games with the Rangers over parts of three seasons."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=679091&navid=nhl:topheads

"The Toronto Maple Leafs on Tuesday agreed to terms with defenseman Mark Fraser on a one-year contract. Terms of the deal were not released, but CBC placed the value at $1.275 million."

$6M per year up from $4M for Pavelski

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

Re: Pavelski 5 Yr. extension, Zuccarello avoids arbitration & Leafs Fraser 1 yr.

People will be surprised by Pavelski's contract, but I can understand it.  If you want the player, you have to pay for him.  Pavelski has been pretty consistently good for years.  His last year or two will sting, but it's not a brutal stretch.

It's not as if they could go out and replace him tomorrow for less.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

Re: Pavelski 5 Yr. extension, Zuccarello avoids arbitration & Leafs Fraser 1 yr.

Maybe they are entertaining the idea of trading joe.  Logan is the true leader best player.  SJ def stinks.  They need an upgrade there.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

In response to shuperman's comment:

Maybe they are entertaining the idea of trading joe.  Logan is the true leader best player.  SJ def stinks.  They need an upgrade there.  

Especially after Burns moved to forward and trading Murray. Agree on Couture, kid has a wicked wrister.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Depends if Doug Wilson thinks Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto or Hamilton are ready for NHL center duties. I don't think they are so that leaves Scott Gomez to move up if Jumbo goes to bring in some defense.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

[QUOTE]Maybe they are entertaining the idea of trading joe.  Logan is the true leader best player.  SJ def stinks.  They need an upgrade there.

Depends if Doug Wilson thinks Tomas Hertl, Matt Nieto or Hamilton are ready for NHL center duties. I don't think they are so that leaves Scott Gomez to move up if Jumbo goes to bring in some defense.

[/QUOTE]

Gomez is ufa.  Marleau pavelski and logan up the middle?   Trading joe would create some nice cap room to add a ufa dman.   How about Trade joe for franson, kulemin and a 1st round pick.  Then sign larose and hainsey.    Or trade joe for phaneuf straight up.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

There is demand for Gomez ? He's going somewhere ?

When was the last time Marleau played center ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

That's crazy money for Pavelski ! Pure lunacy !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to jpBsSoxFan's comment:

What do you think they should have gotten him at?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

7 m would have been what I paid. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

There is demand for Gomez ? He's going somewhere ?

NJ was rumored for Gomez,

Marleau has played in every year.  They continue to shuffle the lineups like crazy.  Its his natural position for starters....and he has world class wheels.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

7 m would have been what I paid. 

Relentless comedy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You mean to tell me you think Pavelski is worth 6 milllion a season ?  The guy has topped the 30 goal mark once in 7 seasons with the Sharks. The 4m he is getting now under his current contract is questionable. Sharks definitley overpaid to keep this player.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You mean to tell me you think Pavelski is worth 6 milllion a season ?  The guy has topped the 30 goal mark once in 7 seasons with the Sharks. The 4m he is getting now under his current contract is questionable. Sharks definitley overpaid to keep this player.

What do you think should have been their final offer, and if declined, what do you think they could do to replace him?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

[QUOTE]

What do you think should have been their final offer, and if declined, what do you think they could do to replace him?

[/QUOTE]

4 yrs / 20m maximum.  If they are going to throw that type of money around, why wouldn't they have aimed it at Clarkson or Horton or some other top player that was available ? What has he done to justify a 2m per season raise ? Boyes, Raymond and Gravboski are still sitting out there unsigned.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

4 yrs / 20m maximum.  If they are going to throw that type of money around, why wouldn't they have aimed it at Clarkson or Horton or some other top player that was available ? What has he done to justify a 2m per season raise ? Boyes, Raymond and Gravboski are still sitting out there unsigned.

You're 100% against $6M, but $5M is okay.

That's 1.5% less.

I don't think they'd let him walk over 1.5%.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Not saying I think 6 is totally fair, but Pavelski is a better player now than Clarkson, Boyes, Raymond or Grabovski.

And Nas, how does that work out to 1.5 per cent less? Missing the math. I thought 5 + 20% = 6.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to red75's comment:

And Nas, how does that work out to 1.5 per cent less? Missing the math

One million of 64 million.

1 divided by 64

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Oh you meant of the total cap - gotcha.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

I still don't. That math is whack yo! I'm no accountant but it's hard for me to see the difference between 5 and 6 per year being written in as a 1.5% swing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

In terms of their salary cap budget, it's 1.5%, but I didn't get that immediately either.

Talking points alone, Pavelski has been in the same ballpark as Bergeron for the last 5 years.  He's topped 30g one more time than PB, but has one less Selke and one less Cup.  If $6M is high, it's not by much.  I'll say this, though - I don't think he could do as well as he has without the cover he gets from JT Superstar, Marleau and Couture.

Are you not entertained?!?!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to dezaruchi's comment:

I still don't. That math is whack yo! I'm no accountant but it's hard for me to see the difference between 5 and 6 per year being written in as a 1.5% swing.

The cap is $64M.

The difference between five and six is one.

$1M is 1.5% of $64M.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Marleau has played in every year.  They continue to shuffle the lineups like crazy.  Its his natural position for starters....and he has world class wheels. [/QUOTE]

Yah maybe when Marleau played in the WHL years ago he played center. I've been going to Sharks games for years, watched hundreds more on TV and never seen him play center.

I'll take your word for it that he still has wheels as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

The cap is $64M.

The difference between five and six is one.

$1M is 1.5% of $64M.

I get what you're saying but still can't imagine the GM explaining to the owner that he paid 6 a year instead of 5 but that it's, "no big deal boss. It's only 1.5%". His boss could very well counter with some different numbers I think. I should add that I have no issue with the signing. Seems about right by today's standards.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

I get what you're saying but still can't imagine the GM explaining to the owner that he paid 6 a year instead of 5 but that it's, "no big deal boss. It's only 1.5%". His boss could very well counter with some different numbers I think. I should add that I have no issue with the signing. Seems about right by today's standards.

My thought process (as ragged as it is) was more along the lines of losing a guy like Pavelski because a gap of 1.5% of the cap couldn't be closed and then having to try to find a trading partner with a decent asset that would fit on the team who has a contract that is more palatable would be much worse.