Penguins place Orpik on IR

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Re: Penguins place Orpik on IR

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While I can't join Crowls on this and I think Orpik was indeed knocked out, I think most people would agree it was one of the more puzzling knockouts I have ever seen in a hockey game.  I had to watch it several times in slo-mo to believe that Thornton actually landed a decent shot.  Between the visor (yes Nas, the visor) and the gloved hand, it is still very suprising that the punch did so much damage.  Not suspicious, just suprising.

I tried to think of when else I have seen a gloved hand knock a guy out cold, and I recalled Tootoo doing it to Robidas...with a powerful roundhouse into a streaking Robidas, that caught him square in the face.  Watch that, and you understand the need for a stretcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZwbjNvRRc

Orpik's injury was weird, that's all.  I don't think he was faking.  I do think he was knocked out.  But it was very strange.  

Harkened me back to 'Glass Joe' in Mike Tyson's punchout.

My vote would be 5 games for Thornton.

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair assessment, fletch and I would certainly accept that explanation.  A few posters out here seem to be suggesting that Thornton landed serious blows to Orpik.  That just didn't happen. 

Still, reckless action on Thornton's part resulting in an injury.  I am thinking he gets 7, on par with what John Scott got (also a 1st time offender).

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to shuperman's comment:

[QUOTE]Really I don't know have watched that replay probably 20times just don't see much of a blow to cause a concussion

[/QUOTE] Doesnt take much.  A close blow to the face is all it takes.  [/QUOTE]

Oh I thought that hockey players were tough.

Two handed hack to the ankle, breaks leg "He should drink more milk".

Two shots too the visor, team puts him on LTIR "Doesn't take much".

I see :faceplam

[/QUOTE] Ive never seen a slash kill a guy.  I have seen one punch kill a guy.  Comparing those two plays.  #typicalsandawg[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you were just a patrolman and not a detective. Jack the Ripper disagrees with you about slashing. I've never seen a hockey player die from punch to the face.

#stopeatingStarbuckpastriesbadforyourbrain

[/QUOTE]

Rcmp dont have detectives.  I work major crime in halifax, im not retired you old boot.  I can promise you a slash to an ankle will never kill a guy on the ice.   google whitby hockey player dies.

comparing the slash to the punch is like comparing....well the slash and the punch.    

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to OrrandPapiRGods' comment:
    [QUOTE]

I saw an angle in super slow mo last night that showed Orpiks head turn sideways before the last blow. The punch caught him the side of the face/temple area.

I don't say this to argue, because I too had a hard time believing 2 rabbit puches, maybe a foot in length would/could do so much damage.

shupe - I don't think your 'one punch that killed' was a 1 foot rabbit punch with a glove on.

[/QUOTE]

Well ive been to three.  And they were enough to knock the guy out.  Swelling on the brain.  Dead.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bruinfaninnewjersey. Show Bruinfaninnewjersey's posts

I haven't looked at this nearly as much as most of you... because I really don't care about Orpik.

My guess is he was knocked out briefly, all precautions were taken, he showed some concussion symptoms but not enough to warrant further observation and the team made a decision to be extra cautious and hold him out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to Bruinfaninnewjersey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I haven't looked at this nearly as much as most of you... because I really don't care about Orpik.

My guess is he was knocked out briefly, all precautions were taken, he showed some concussion symptoms but not enough to warrant further observation and the team made a decision to be extra cautious and hold him out.

[/QUOTE]

It might not even be a concussion.   Doesnt take much to fracture an orbital bone.  Who knows.  i certainly dont think hes faking though.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

Brooks Orpik is on the IR. Penguins won't disclose nature of his injury.

Doctors at Mass General diagnosed him with thanatophobia. But it passed 20 minutes after stepping into the hospital.

It's what the old visiting players used to call bostongardenitis, before TD Garden came along.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

In response to Crowls2424's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I think he was faking or exaggerating, but this latest news doesn't help my case.  Not ready to fold my cards just yet.

I was at the Patriots game yesterday.  Rob Gronkowski catches a pass and before he can get fully turned up field, the Browns safety flies in and chops him down like a redwood.  Gronkowski sustains a torn ACL/MCL and a concussion on the play.  He was upright in just a few minutes.  He was helped to his feet to an awaiting cart for transport off the field. 

I don't think I have ever seen a player lay on the ice in manner that Orpik did, or remain down as long as Orpik did.  It looked like the worst thing ever happened in sports.  Until you see the replay.  Orpik goes near-limp from the start (the slew-foot), never bangs his head on the ice.  Please tell how is he able to roll over if we was knocked out?  There is just so little contact, refuse to believe that he was badly injured or was knocked out. 

[/QUOTE]

A concussion isn't always a knock out and a knock out isn't always a concussion.  Sometimes they do go together.  Gronkowski wasn't knocked out.  Orpik was.

You have a great memory.  Have you ever seen or heard of any player fake being knocked out?  This might be the craziest theory not written by Stanley!  Some players play dead to get the call and then are helped up by the trainer or his pals.  I've never seen someone go so far Broadway that they allow themselves to be removed via stretcher!

[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrysDcXajE0

That took 5 seconds on youtube.  Maybe this guy could fight Orpik for the rematch.

[/QUOTE]

That video was nuts -- and he didn't even slew-foot the guy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zamboni24. Show zamboni24's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Fletcher1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

While I can't join Crowls on this and I think Orpik was indeed knocked out, I think most people would agree it was one of the more puzzling knockouts I have ever seen in a hockey game.  I had to watch it several times in slo-mo to believe that Thornton actually landed a decent shot.  Between the visor (yes Nas, the visor) and the gloved hand, it is still very suprising that the punch did so much damage.  Not suspicious, just suprising.

I tried to think of when else I have seen a gloved hand knock a guy out cold, and I recalled Tootoo doing it to Robidas...with a powerful roundhouse into a streaking Robidas, that caught him square in the face.  Watch that, and you understand the need for a stretcher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZwbjNvRRc

Orpik's injury was weird, that's all.  I don't think he was faking.  I do think he was knocked out.  But it was very strange.  

Harkened me back to 'Glass Joe' in Mike Tyson's punchout.

My vote would be 5 games for Thornton.

[/QUOTE]

That's a fair assessment, fletch and I would certainly accept that explanation.  A few posters out here seem to be suggesting that Thornton landed serious blows to Orpik.  That just didn't happen. 

Still, reckless action on Thornton's part resulting in an injury.  I am thinking he gets 7, on par with what John Scott got (also a 1st time offender).

[/QUOTE]

My thought -- now that he's set up by the Neal 5-gammer -- is 10 -- minus maybe 2 for as you pointed out -- first trip to Chateau Shanahan.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

You know exactly what I meant. Stop exaggerating Shup, you know that those two paddy cake swipes couldn't kill a Twinkie. Kelly's leg is broken, nothing is broken on Orpik's puzzy body!

Orpik is a man, Kelly is a wuzz...got it!

#typicalshupexaggeration!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Madhouse27. Show Madhouse27's posts

I caught the post game (Columbus) interview with Sidney Crosby and he said that he talked to Orpik and that he seemed fine...same as usual. There was a hint of hmm "something" in the way he said it.

Disclaimer: I tend to be a bit of a conspiracy theorists by nature, so take it for what you will. 

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

That took 5 seconds on youtube.  Maybe this guy could fight Orpik for the rematch.

[/QUOTE]

That's the oddest looking hockey rink I've ever seen.

Again, have you ever heard of a player (considering the forum is Bruins and we're talking about hockey, I'm referring to a hockey player here) fake being knocked out?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Orrthebest. Show Orrthebest's posts

In response to WalkTheLine's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As much as I dislike the Pens organization I can't believe that they would pull something like this to make Boston look bad and not see that all they are doing is harming themselves. They're whiny, dirty at times, soft, unethical and a few other things, but they are not brain dead.

[/QUOTE]

Well how do you explain them flying Orpik when studies clear show that flying with a concussion will make the symtoms worse and some studies also claim it makes them last longer?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Again, have you ever heard of a player (considering the forum is Bruins and we're talking about hockey, I'm referring to a hockey player here) fake being knocked out?

[/QUOTE]

Embellishment happens all the time, have you not been watching hockey?  Can't recall a player fake being KO'd before.  Maybe it has happened, probably has, just can't recall it.  It's a slippery slope to acuse a guy of faking an injury.  Look at Thornton's initial reaction in the video.  Do you think he thinks Orpik is faking?  Once he goes out on the stretcher, ST delivers the measured/remorseful comments post-game comments.

That said, can you recall a hockey player being down for 10 minutes and going out on a stretcher with such little contact?  Any comparable examles that you could share?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Don-Bruino. Show Don-Bruino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Sonny Liston, 1964 vs the then Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali).

And many players in the 70's, at the Boston Garden and The Spectrum, in Philly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

That said, can you recall a hockey player being down for 10 minutes and going out on a stretcher with such little contact?  Any comparable examles that you could share?

[/QUOTE]

The onus is on you to disprove, my friend.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to Don-Bruino's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yes. Sonny Liston, 1964 vs the then Cassius Clay (Muhammad Ali).

And many players in the 70's, at the Boston Garden and The Spectrum, in Philly.

[/QUOTE]

Sonny Liston and Cassius Clay were hockey players?

Got any examples of these guys faking being knocked out, Wheat?  Anything more than a city and a decade?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope, that's your rule, not mine.  It's a discussion, right?  Not a prosecution.

I'll take your reluctance to respond to that the level of contact/severity of Orpik's knockout was atypical to say the least, even a little dubious.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Nope, that's your rule, not mine.  It's a discussion, right?  Not a prosecution.

I'll take your reluctance to respond to that the level of contact/severity of Orpik's knockout was atypical to say the least, even a little dubious.

[/QUOTE]

Childish.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Childish.

[/QUOTE]

Answer the question.

"That said, can you recall a hockey player being down for 10 minutes and going out on a stretcher with such little contact?  Any comparable examles that you could share?"

Absent a direct response, I guess we have to fill in the blanks.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

[QUOTE]

Answer the question.

"That said, can you recall a hockey player being down for 10 minutes and going out on a stretcher with such little contact?  Any comparable examles that you could share?"

Absent a direct response, I guess we have to fill in the blanks.

[/QUOTE]

Yes.

Brooks Orpik.

If you have no examples of anyone faking being knocked out in hockey, there is no reason to think this is one.

No one else in the hockey world is saying this but a few absurd people here.

Now that Orpik is on IR, you're trying to save your arguement by getting more absurd.

Give it up.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from WalkTheLine. Show WalkTheLine's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Crowl's - I was a bit surprised he was knocked out because he didn't get cranked that hard, or at least it didn't look like it. However, I can tell you from personal experience that a devastating blow doesn't always look like it. I used to box and even with headgear on I've seen guys go out from a well placed jab. It's weird, but it happens.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

You know exactly what I meant. Stop exaggerating Shup, you know that those two paddy cake swipes couldn't kill a Twinkie. Kelly's leg is broken, nothing is broken on Orpik's puzzy body!

Orpik is a man, Kelly is a wuzz...got it!

#typicalshupexaggeration!

[/QUOTE]

guess who went down this road.  Yup.  #sameoldsanwillheeverlearn

im sure you could take two on the button and skip rope after #youareallheartrock. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

You guys just don't understand the hashtag thing.

#dopes

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from shuperman. Show shuperman's posts

[QUOTE]

You guys just don't understand the hashtag thing.

#dopes

[/QUOTE]

I like my version better.  It makes me smile. Smiling is good.