Peverley's NTC

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Peverley's NTC

Here's how CapGeek describes it:

NTC: 2012-13, player can submit eight-team trade list by Oct. 1, 2012;

2013-14, player can submit 15-team trade list by Oct. 1, 2013;

2014-15, none

Not sure why PC felt the need to give this to Peverley (or Kelly for that matter), but it seems particularly unusual to have trade lists submitted by October 1st.  Doesn't that date tie the GM's hands a bit for the draft/free agency?

I would like to think that PC is actively looking to move Peverley, of course, could be off on that.  If he is trying to move him, is it the 8-team list that he is working with?  Is it right to assume that list nearly doubles in the next 12 weeks?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

Re: Peverley's NTC

Yes Peverley can reject the trade when and if PC finally finds a team. Kelly has more trade value and I read that he did not want to leave Ottawa, I can see whey Chiarelli gave in to his demands. I don't see why PC would give into a player that was waived by Nashville.

If PC really does want to improve the 3rd line, one of the two has to go.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

In response to SanDogBrewin's comment:

I don't get this sentiment. Both are good veteran players, who excel in some areas but had trouble finding the back of the net last year. Neither was a defensive liability. Both coupld play special teams. Both could be plugged in the Top 6 in an absolute pinch as opposed to calling up someone who isn't ready. Both could possess the puck and make a pass.

Who's to say that one or both won't be a valuable piece moving forward? It takes 20 guys plus depth to run at the Cup. I fail to see how those two drag the team down more than a guy like Thornton and <insert-random-awful-3rd line-RW-name-here>.

I like what PC is doing. He has 2 years for 2 buyouts. Hold your chips now unless a dream situation arises, and see what happens at camp. There are plenty of guys who will become available down the road.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Not-A-Shot. Show Not-A-Shot's posts

In response to asmaha's comment:

I don't get this sentiment. Both are good veteran players, who excel in some areas but had trouble finding the back of the net last year. Neither was a defensive liability. Both coupld play special teams. Both could be plugged in the Top 6 in an absolute pinch as opposed to calling up someone who isn't ready. Both could possess the puck and make a pass.

This team isn't built around a couple of superstar scorers.  They need secondary scoring.  $6.25M of contracts in two guys with no goals is a joke.  Paille makes $1.3M and did more than either of them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Not-A-Shot's comment:

[QUOTE]

This team isn't built around a couple of superstar scorers.  They need secondary scoring.  $6.25M of contracts in two guys with no goals is a joke.  Paille makes $1.3M and did more than either of them.

[/QUOTE]

The combo of Paille and Campbell make $2.9M and frankly are better than Kelly/Peverley.  This team is short 1 top-6 forward, can't acquire one without cap space. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

I don't get this sentiment. Both are good veteran players, who excel in some areas but had trouble finding the back of the net last year. Both could possess the puck and make a pass.

Who's to say that one or both won't be a valuable piece moving forward? It takes 20 guys plus depth to run at the Cup.[/QUOTE]

Standing pat did PC no good in 2012 and without Horton the Bruins were ordinary against Washington.

This sentiment lost the cup this year. Not having players who can pop the puck in the back of the net but were safe defensively. Not having depth in scoring and relying on the top 6 forwards to get the meat of the goals.

How long should PC go intio the season and wait for them to come around ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

The trade deadline would be my guess.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NeelyOrrBourque. Show NeelyOrrBourque's posts

In response to jmwalters' comment:

[QUOTE]

The trade deadline would be my guess.

[/QUOTE]

That's too long JM. If Kelly & Pev's stink again offensively up to the trade deadline. Then that diminishes their value even more. Right now PC maybe able to convince a team that it was just a bad yr for both & they never had a consistent rw until Seguin went there. He needs to move one of them during this FA season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

I don't get this sentiment. Both are good veteran players, who excel in some areas but had trouble finding the back of the net last year. Both could possess the puck and make a pass.

Who's to say that one or both won't be a valuable piece moving forward? It takes 20 guys plus depth to run at the Cup.

Standing pat did PC no good in 2012 and without Horton the Bruins were ordinary against Washington.

This sentiment lost the cup this year. Not having players who can pop the puck in the back of the net but were safe defensively. Not having depth in scoring and relying on the top 6 forwards to get the meat of the goals.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with each of these statements.  I don't think it was the loss of Horton that cost the Bs vs. Washington - I think it was Washington sitting back in a shell and hoping for a bounce.  And they got the one they needed or Boston could just as easily have won that series in game 7 OT (they like that in the first round).  Plus, Peverley was their leading scorer in that series, so I'm not sure how that fits here.

In the Finals, they got four from Bergeron, none from the rest of his line.  Four from Lucic, none from the rest of his line.  Four from Paille and Kelly combined.  That's pretty balanced.

Both of these statements sound like you're advocating upgrades to the top six rather than tweaking the third line.

As for needing them to produce: Kelly had a down year. He has those in terms of production, so it's to be expected.  That's who he is.  The problem with Kelly this year is that he was also sub-par defensively, so that line was giving up goals the team couldn't afford.  Merlot, too.  But I would rather have Kelly have a down offensive year in a shortened year than any other.  He'll be better next year almost because he couldn't be worse.  He's too savvy.  He'll be a net win for the team next year.  I think that's a pretty sure bet.

Peverley being waived by Nashville is as relevant as St Louis being bought out by the Flames - long ago.  Another guy who had a rough year in an odd season, and whose lower offensive production wasn't entirely out of character - he's had good years (nearly a point/game with Atlanta after being bought out by Nashville, and 55 points the year after; similar ppg to Horton last year) and he's had bad years.  If they end up "stuck" with him, I wouldn't blink.  Versatility and a strong possibility he'll bounce back.

They have an opening for a top six forward, and they have a couple of players who will never make the jump if they have to play third and fourth line roles.  Spooner is not suited to the fourth line.  He's not Marchand who can badger and harrass and make an impact.  Why not see what you have by putting him on a line with Bergeron and let PB tutor him?  I'm convinced that's where the hole is now that the flirtation with Lecavalier is over.  Seguin will be the top RW - and maybe even Krejci will flip flop with him from time to time. 

Lots of teams will be looking to course correct if roster triage has them falling quickly.  If Chiarelli isn't happy with Peverley in the Fall, he'll have 15 teams to deal with and likely some willing dance partners.  I'm not worried about that.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from asmaha. Show asmaha's posts

Listen...I'm not being a cheerleader for these guys and I get that they were horrible for long stretches. I'm simply advocating that you go into camp with them because they have a long history of solid play and a short history of bad. You hope for a rebound, and take it from there.

All I'm saying is that they're positive assets - not buyout candidates. They can a) play a role on this team or b) be chips to offer in a future deal. I just don't think they're so bad a buyout should be used on them.

Yes, you could get more out of the approx $8mil spent on 3rd line forwards, but not significantly more.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

In response to Bookboy007's comment:

[QUOTE]

Who's to say that one or both won't be a valuable piece moving forward? It takes 20 guys plus depth to run at the Cup.

[/QUOTE]

I disagree with each of these statements.  I don't think it was the loss of Horton that cost the Bs vs. Washington - I think it was Washington sitting back in a shell and hoping for a bounce.  And they got the one they needed or Boston could just as easily have won that series in game 7 OT (they like that in the first round).  Plus, Peverley was their leading scorer in that series, so I'm not sure how that fits here.

In the Finals, they got four from Bergeron, none from the rest of his line.  Four from Lucic, none from the rest of his line.  Four from Paille and Kelly combined.  That's pretty balanced.

Both of these statements sound like you're advocating upgrades to the top six rather than tweaking the third line.

As for needing them to produce: Kelly had a down year. He has those in terms of production, so it's to be expected.  That's who he is.  The problem with Kelly this year is that he was also sub-par defensively, so that line was giving up goals the team couldn't afford.  Merlot, too.  But I would rather have Kelly have a down offensive year in a shortened year than any other.  He'll be better next year almost because he couldn't be worse.  He's too savvy.  He'll be a net win for the team next year.  I think that's a pretty sure bet.

Peverley being waived by Nashville is as relevant as St Louis being bought out by the Flames - long ago.  Another guy who had a rough year in an odd season, and whose lower offensive production wasn't entirely out of character - he's had good years (nearly a point/game with Atlanta after being bought out by Nashville, and 55 points the year after; similar ppg to Horton last year) and he's had bad years.  If they end up "stuck" with him, I wouldn't blink.  Versatility and a strong possibility he'll bounce back.

They have an opening for a top six forward, and they have a couple of players who will never make the jump if they have to play third and fourth line roles.  Spooner is not suited to the fourth line.  He's not Marchand who can badger and harrass and make an impact.  Why not see what you have by putting him on a line with Bergeron and let PB tutor him?  I'm convinced that's where the hole is now that the flirtation with Lecavalier is over.  Seguin will be the top RW - and maybe even Krejci will flip flop with him from time to time. 

Lots of teams will be looking to course correct if roster triage has them falling quickly.  If Chiarelli isn't happy with Peverley in the Fall, he'll have 15 teams to deal with and likely some willing dance partners.  I'm not worried about that.

[/QUOTE]

I'm making that case.  Send Peverley away to free up space for a top-6 RW.  3rd-line parts are still there with; Paille, Kelly, Campbell, Caron and Soderberg.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

That's fine, Crowls, but I see that as a different thing than pushing Peverley out the door for failing to produce.  You're not doing it to upgrade on Peverley; you're doing it to fill a need and you can backfill the 3rd line spot.

I would have had no problem with this if they'd used the cash to sign Lecavalier for the same money as Philly did, but I would guess Chiarelli wouldn't off that much term and wouldn't want to tie up money in Lecavalier.

Are you not entertained?!?!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

That's fine, Crowls, but I see that as a different thing than pushing Peverley out the door for failing to produce.  You're not doing it to upgrade on Peverley; you're doing it to fill a need and you can backfill the 3rd line spot.

I would have had no problem with this if they'd used the cash to sign Lecavalier for the same money as Philly did, but I would guess Chiarelli wouldn't off that much term and wouldn't want to tie up money in Lecavalier.

Fair enough Book, but Peverley's performance plays a role in folks hoping to see him get moved.  It does for me.  He was bad this past year, and his lack of production reflects that.  If he killed it, we would be talking about him as 2nd-line RW.

This is not an argument for buyout at all, I wouldn't have that on the table. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

We should put this in context - Peverley's lack of production amounted to 4 fewer points over 47 games than Nathan Horton over 43.  Yet people were arguing that Peverley should obviously be bought out so that his money can be given to Horton.  Peverley played more than a minute and a half less per game, less on the PP, and with Chris Kelly as his C for most of the year.  And he almost produced as well as Horton.

Playoffs, different story.  But the point about what a terrible year he had seems a bit overblown.  He didn't Gomez.  He didn't Grabovski (9-7-16 for a $5.5 cap hit - or is it $5.75?).  He is simply the logical piece to go in terms of salary relief and replacability.  Let's leave running him into the ground for a down half-year to Stan.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

In response to NeelyOrrBourque's comment:

That's too long JM. If Kelly & Pev's stink again offensively up to the trade deadline. Then that diminishes their value even more. Right now PC maybe able to convince a team that it was just a bad yr for both & they never had a consistent rw until Seguin went there. He needs to move one of them during this FA season. 

I agree, Nite, with everything you outline here.

Unfortunately PC's MO is to persevere until the deadline, then look for bandaids via potential  trade upgrades.

Remember Bourque last year? Pouliot the year before?

No reason to assume he is going to change now unless something radical happens (like Holmgren's spirit taking over PC's body).

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

We should put this in context - Peverley's lack of production amounted to 4 fewer points over 47 games than Nathan Horton over 43.  Yet people were arguing that Peverley should obviously be bought out so that his money can be given to Horton.  Peverley played more than a minute and a half less per game, less on the PP, and with Chris Kelly as his C for most of the year.  And he almost produced as well as Horton.

Playoffs, different story.  But the point about what a terrible year he had seems a bit overblown.  He didn't Gomez.  He didn't Grabovski (9-7-16 for a $5.5 cap hit - or is it $5.75?).  He is simply the logical piece to go in terms of salary relief and replacability.  Let's leave running him into the ground for a down half-year to Stan.

I'm in the minority here but I won't be upset if Peverley starts on the wing with Bergeron and Marchand. He's defensively responsible with good wheels. He also is good on the cycle and would assure that the line wins most of the faceoffs. I could easily see him getting back to the 50+ point range. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

His career best is 55 points.  Tied with Marchand.

If he goes to make room for the right get, I won't cry.  If he stays because they didn't want to overpay for Iginla, I'm also fine with that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bookboy007. Show Bookboy007's posts

...basically, he's a deck chair.  Not germane to the direction of the ship. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SanDogBrewin. Show SanDogBrewin's posts

"I'm making that case.  Send Peverley away to free up space for a top-6 RW.  3rd-line parts are still there with; Paille, Kelly, Campbell, Caron and Soderberg."

And if "15 GMs wanted him" Peverley would be gone. Teams in the East are getting faster and better, standing pat is for the birds!

Peverley cannot take up Horton nor Jagrs slack, not going to happen. Waiting till November for him to snap out his funk is a mistake and if he gets injured in October, well the Bruins are stuck with the remainder of his contract.

"Making nice passes and defensively safe"

Has got to go! It was painful to watch Chicago skate around it in the SCF and Washington do the same in 2011! Act now while the iron is hot.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49thparallel. Show 49thparallel's posts

Agreed. and if PC thinks the DK,Lucic,Horton line was the best in the league in the playoffs, he should love DK,Lucic, Seguin. That pushes Pevs to Bergy's line.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Crowls2424. Show Crowls2424's posts

Additional context would be that Paille had 1 fewer point (4 more goals) while averaging 2 and half fewer minutes.  Additionally, Peverley averaged than 1:40 PP TOI over Paille. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dezaruchi. Show dezaruchi's posts

Crowls, I think the absolute best guage of a player's ability is his best seaon. That is what each player has proven to be capable of. I know that sounds simplistic but it is what it is. I'm a huge fan of Paille and I think he's capable of getting 50+ points under the right conditions. I know that Peverley can though. 

"wow,check out all of the losers in here......"

-Gerry Dee

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

Have to agree with SanDog here. No one wants Peverley obviously.

I doubt there is much of a market for Kelly either at this point to be brutally honest.....KPD is dreaming if he thinks PC could easily move either of them.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from islamorada. Show islamorada's posts

Book, let me get this straight.  Peverly is worth the cap hit.  No buyouts.  But if JJ agreed to do so Lacalavier is not an upgrade at millionmore .  I will grant you Vinny has a NTC and a five year contract but there are other optons now.  No buyouts is hurting the chances of improving the team day by day.  I don't see Peverly marketable unless he comes out of the gate next season with a point or so every other game.  Making a trade during the season does not make sense in the fall, and it will cost the team draft picks and players in the system to trade next winter.  Flush the garbage now.  Move on.  

BDC log in issues are just insane! Help!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Yes I read that on Kevin's Paul's twitter it's baffling to me. If he could move Peverly or Kelly would prefer Peverly then he should do it Friday. The problem is their isn't a market for neither,  lets say Tuukka gets 7/56 M and patrice gets he 8 year deal I am on record saying I would sign both. They are both great players. If PC won't  buyout Kelly or Peverly the only option is to trade a vet ( boychuk) or a promising rookie ( Hamiliton) to get anything good back. It should be interesting in the next few days.