Peverly

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red75. Show red75's posts

Peverly

Looking forward to seeing his first game today,but I'm curious where he fits in the depth charts as I never really followed him in Atlanta. He can play both wing and centre so where does he fall in with Kelly and Campbell? Does he centre the third with Kelly on the wing or vice versa?With how the zebras toss guys out of the circle for even blinking these days, it's nice to have good faceoff men on the wing, but I'm still wondering who is projected to be the better third line centre of the two.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Peverly

I have no idea why he is on the 3rd line.  I guess the logic is, Ryder is struggling, Kelly is new, so put two new guys together.

I'd rather see a more annoying defender like a Marchand on the 3rd line, Ryder on line 2 w/Peverly.

2nd Line:

Peverly-Bergeron-Ryder

3rd:

Marchand Kelly Recchi (this would be a pain to play against as is the 4th)

Isn't Peverly a "poor man's Savard"? If that is the case, what is he doing on line 3?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodnewsbears. Show goodnewsbears's posts

In Response to Re: Peverly:
    [QUOTE]I have no idea why he is on the 3rd line.  I guess the logic is, Ryder is struggling, Kelly is new, so put two new guys together. I'd rather see a more annoying defender like a Marchand on the 3rd line, Ryder on line 2 w/Peverly. 2nd Line: Peverly-Bergeron-Ryder 3rd: Marchand Kelly Recchi (this would be a pain to play against as is the 4th) Isn't Peverly a "poor man's Savard"? If that is the case, what is he doing on line 3?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

yeah, i completely agree, cj should definitely splitup bergeron and marchand. i hate seeing them score every game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwb413. Show jwb413's posts

YOU DO NOT SPLIT BERGY & MARCHAND!!!!!!  Maybe get Recchi off that line and add Peverley.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bnice0015. Show bnice0015's posts

No, you must leave the Rec-BErg-March line alone, only one producing consistently at this point.In Response to Re: Peverly:
    [QUOTE]YOU DO NOT SPLIT BERGY & MARCHAND!!!!!!  Maybe get Recchi off that line and add Peverley.
    Posted by jwb413[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly : yeah, i completely agree, cj should definitely splitup bergeron and marchand. i hate seeing them score every game.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

That would mean you think Marchand wouldn't do it on the 3rd line or magically think Recchi makes Marchand better.   We disagree.  I think Marchand would work on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd lines.

One advantage of using Peverly on the 3rd line would be that he can take draws, so I see the advantage there in case Kelly is tossed and they still need as key draw in a game.

No offense, but trying to talk down to me about hockey won't work. 

Michael Ryder making 4 million dollars as a supposed checker is hilarious to me.

I am glad you see everything with the homer goggles on.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

If Peverly finds his touch and impresses, I'd like to see him on the 2nd line (March-Bergy-Pev).  While his leadership and poise are important to this team, Old Man Rex still just looks way too slow on the 2nd line.  I think the success of that line has been driven a lot more by Marchand and Bergeron than by Recchi.  If Rex is on a line with Kelly-Ryder, I think Kelly's speed helps Rex in the backend and Rex's hockey sense could help Ryder find a touch.

I'm also not opposed to scratching Recchi for a few games and letting the old guy recharge a bit either.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly : yeah, i completely agree, cj should definitely splitup bergeron and marchand. i hate seeing them score every game.
    Posted by goodnewsbears[/QUOTE]

hehehe...I agree, why would we want that?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bogie6. Show bogie6's posts

IMO Claude has no clue as to where kelly or peverly should play . So he is trying out a 3rd line rather than disturb all lines. Good idea since his earlier shuffling didn't exactly create chemistry. I'd really rather see both Rex and Thornton sitting and four speedy lines, but Claude will never take a risk.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BruinsGM24. Show BruinsGM24's posts

BBReigns, I don't think the Bruins consider Ryder a "checker" on the 3rd line.  He's there because he has absolutely no consistency.  He's played some nice games this year, and also been a complete ghost in many others.

Also, his salary should play no role in where he plays.  He may make $4M this year, but if he's playing like a guy who is going to earn $2.5M on his next contract (very likely), there's no use in pretending he is something he simply is not.  And that would be a consistent scoring winger.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrayzieJoe. Show KrayzieJoe's posts

It pisses me off that Ryder never gets a seat in the press box, and that someone like paille and Kelly are playing over Seguin.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FinnsWake. Show FinnsWake's posts

Another reason to like Peverley.

It certainly didn't appear that way Friday, when the Bruins picked up not only Kaberle, but fellow Habs-killer Rich Peverly (6-5-11 in nine career games).

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

I think they have him sloted into the right spot.

The Recchi-Bergy-Marchand line has been fantastic and there is no reason to split them up.  With Peverly-Kelly-Ryder you have a line with great speed (Peverly, Kelly) and good shot (Ryder) that has the ability of cycle and control the puck.  I think it will be a very good 3rd line.  Two years ago the Bruins were dominant during the season by having three lines that could score fairly evenly, and I hope this will be the case again. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I think they have him sloted into the right spot. The Recchi-Bergy-Marchand line has been fantastic and there is no reason to split them up.  With Peverly-Kelly-Ryder you have a line with great speed (Peverly, Kelly) and good shot (Ryder) that has the ability of cycle and control the puck.  I think it will be a very good 3rd line.  Two years ago the Bruins were dominant during the season by having three lines that could score fairly evenly, and I hope this will be the case again. 
    Posted by Fletcher1[/QUOTE]

I feel that a third line with Kelly and Peverly will play more of a traditional shutdown role. If you have seen Kelly as much as I have then you would appreciate that this is the way he plays.

The impact of this is that Ryder is completely miscastoin such a line. Despite what anyone may think of him, he is not a checker at all. But there really is nowhere else to put him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]BBReigns, I don't think the Bruins consider Ryder a "checker" on the 3rd line.  He's there because he has absolutely no consistency.  He's played some nice games this year, and also been a complete ghost in many others. Also, his salary should play no role in where he plays.  He may make $4M this year, but if he's playing like a guy who is going to earn $2.5M on his next contract (very likely), there's no use in pretending he is something he simply is not.  And that would be a consistent scoring winger.
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

Yup. Agree. I mentioned that above. It just bugs me. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]If Peverly finds his touch and impresses, I'd like to see him on the 2nd line (March-Bergy-Pev).  While his leadership and poise are important to this team, Old Man Rex still just looks way too slow on the 2nd line.  I think the success of that line has been driven a lot more by Marchand and Bergeron than by Recchi.  If Rex is on a line with Kelly-Ryder, I think Kelly's speed helps Rex in the backend and Rex's hockey sense could help Ryder find a touch. I'm also not opposed to scratching Recchi for a few games and letting the old guy recharge a bit either.
    Posted by BruinsGM24[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was my point about the second line and the Ryder issue.

Recchi isn't making Marchand score the 15+ goals and cause issues off the wing like the guy above tried to imply to combat my point.

Move Ryder up to the 2nd line. 

I think Peverly would benefit more playing with more of an offensive minded Center in Bergeron.

Marchand will still produce with Kelly, not so sure about Peverly.

Peverly had 14 goals as a Center on a bad team which tells me he can score from the Wing slot.

Hence, why I think he can benefit more on the 2nd line.  Keep in mind, Marchand has over-achieved.

This team needs consistent scoring and they'll need it in the playoffs to avoid last year's disaster.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rufus604. Show Rufus604's posts

There was an interview with CJ yesterday where he said the line to start the game would be Peverly-Kelly-Ryder. Who knows how long this line will last or if it will even finish the game.  I would like to see Peverly given time with Bergeron and Marchand. What do you think of
    2nd -Peverly-Bergeron-Marchand
    3rd -Recchi-Seguin-Ryder
    4th -Kelly-Campbell-Thornton

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I get the point.  Bergeron makes the line, not Recchi or Marchand.

That's my point.

Maybe we disagree on who makes that line, but Peverly is meant to be better than Wheeler and Chris Kelly may not be the Centerman to get that return.

See?

I think you re-set the lines now instead of tinkering later. 

I do see the logic behind not messing with it, yes. I hope Kelly and Peverly really jell.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

[QUOTE]There was an interview with CJ yesterday where he said the line to start the game would be Peverly-Kelly-Ryder. Who knows how long this line will last or if it will even finish the game.  I would like to see Peverly given time with Bergeron and Marchand. What do you think of 2nd -Peverly-Bergeron-Marchand 3rd -Recchi-Seguin-Ryder 4th -Kelly-Campbell-Thornton
    Posted by Rufus604[/QUOTE]

I don't like the 3rd and 4th lines.  Seguin is too inexperienced to be trusted as a lock down 3rd line C.  That's why Kelly is here as well as to avoid having to move Campbell up, weakening the ever important (for legit Cup contenders) 4th line.

I see Kelly as to what Tim Taylor was in 1997/1998 when Boston was on their way to knocking off Washington if not for the ludicrious foot in the crease call.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OatesCam. Show OatesCam's posts

There is absolutely no point in breaking up the Bergeron line.  Recchi has contributed a lot to that line.  Marchand is not over-achieving, he played identical when I watched him in Junior.  He is a player that has been able to adjust his game to NHL-levels and should continue doing what he is doing.  Also, the Bruins (like Detroit) match strenght vs. strength so there is no need to have a defensive third line.  Bergeron's line scores, but it's also a match-up line.  CJ will also use the Campbell line or Krejci line to match when he anticipates an opposing change.  The one line he avoids out there against top scorers is the third line.  That may change a bit with the new personnel, but I would still expect Bergeron to match seeing as he is among the best defensive forwards in the game.  Peverly's best role will be as a complimentary scorer on that third unit.  I'm a huge fan of the pick-up, but don't expect him to match his production from when he was a 1st-line center getting 19 minutes a game. His true value is that he can fill in if someone is injured. Although maybe we will be lucky and he will get a fire under him that matches his first 34 games in Atlanta when he had 35 points.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcher1. Show Fletcher1's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly : I feel that a third line with Kelly and Peverly will play more of a traditional shutdown role. If you have seen Kelly as much as I have then you would appreciate that this is the way he plays. The impact of this is that Ryder is completely miscastoin such a line. Despite what anyone may think of him, he is not a checker at all. But there really is nowhere else to put him.
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]

Kelly is a good defender.  Ryder and Peverly are not so great, so that does not make up a shutdown line.  That is my point really -- this looks like a line that can score (and Kelly can hopefully provide the defensive role).

Ryder is not miscast if they are trying to score some too.  He is not a great fore-checking winger, but he is actually quite good in the corners and at retrieving the puck.  He can cycle the puck well too.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from CamOJonasink. Show CamOJonasink's posts

[QUOTE]I have no idea why he is on the 3rd line.  I guess the logic is, Ryder is struggling, Kelly is new, so put two new guys together. I'd rather see a more annoying defender like a Marchand on the 3rd line, Ryder on line 2 w/Peverly. 2nd Line: Peverly-Bergeron-Ryder 3rd: Marchand Kelly Recchi (this would be a pain to play against as is the 4th) Isn't Peverly a "poor man's Savard"? If that is the case, what is he doing on line 3?
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]
    Marchand does look like a high end traditional checking line forward, but the way this team is constructed, our second and third lines are really checking lines that can score.  Our first line looks more like a high end second scoring line, not a true first line.  While its' not a flashy system, you've got great defensive forwards that can also put the puck in the net (4th in the NHL I believe).  Even our 4th line  serves its' traditional purpose and scores more than most.  Its' working right?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

I'm hoping the Bruins surge way ahead early in one of these games.  That would give Julien some in-game time to try mixing-and-matching the new guys.  No way to know if Bergeron and Peverley have instant chemistry without trying, right?

Of course, if they get a big lead, maybe it means they don't need any line changes.  Unless it's against Edmonton.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jmwalters. Show jmwalters's posts

[QUOTE]I'm hoping the Bruins surge way ahead early in one of these games.  That would give Julien some in-game time to try mixing-and-matching the new guys.  No way to know if Bergeron and Peverley have instant chemistry without trying, right? Of course, if they get a big lead, maybe it means they don't need any line changes.  Unless it's against Edmonton.
    Posted by DrCC[/QUOTE]

Not sure if they are going to surger way ahead of Calgary early in tonights game. The Flames have been really playing well of late. Probably the best team in the league since Chritmas/hanukkah/Quanza...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrCC. Show DrCC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Peverly : Not sure if they are going to surger way ahead of Calgary early in tonights game. The Flames have been really playing well of late. Probably the best team in the league since Chritmas/hanukkah/Quanza...
    Posted by jmwalters[/QUOTE]
    I don't expect it either, though stranger things have happened.  Just hoping.

The opposite - falling way behind early - would afford Julien the same opportunity to tinker.  I'm not going to hope for that, though.